alexferen

Idea

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Hi... Tried EN many moons ago, then went with OneNote but EN's cloud and accessible anywhere features are bringing me back...Enough kudos... Is there a way to mark a note as "read-only" so I cannot a

Requesting the option to flag notes as read only My workaround is to convert the note to pdf edited; There’s also a contentClass field that I can update using a script on my Mac

+1  It's just too easy to lose data to accidental edits.  Even if I spot it, its hard to undo on iOS, but often I don't until too late. Here's what I would like, in descending order of importance

Posted Images

My Laptop is 15', so I would want to more space to read the note.

I think it would be better if it provides a read-only mode for the NoteEditorView, using a button to toggle the mode between read-only mode and readwrite mode.

In the read-only mode, hide the title bar, format tool bar, link and css bar etc, only retain the contents panel is enough.

Hi!

Is there a way to lock Evernote to prevent "accidental" changes or edits to already completed notes?

Evernote is now my goto second brain. I have valuable memories in it. Things that I now reference, that do not need any further editing.

So if this feature doesn't exist, I would like to request that it be included. Just a simple switch or menu item to turn off editing.

Thank you!

Darrin.

• Level 5

No, this is not available.

Several other users in the past have requested various types of locks ranging from simple software locks to advanced encryption techniques.

This is a hot topic and Evernote is aware of the wide range of requests.

Best advice I can offer - be sure to backup your Evernote database regularly. Don't rely only on the cloud.

• Like 2

Actually, as of January, we added the ability on the back-end to make specific notes Read-only in the clients. It's currently only available via API.

This is an interesting idea, to allow users to turn on that switch.

• Like 1
On 1/22/2019 at 4:17 PM, flaviof said:

I'm getting a 404 for that link. then again, it is almost 2 years old. :^)  Anyone have news on this?

Hey! Thank you for noticing that. It was broken for a little while as I was doing some updates, moved the server etc. It's up and running now again.

I actually made some simplifications to the usage. Please have a look at this page:

http://onat.me/readonlymaker

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by the downtime. 

---

Here are the changes, a release note per se:

1. It's just "lock" for locking and "unlock" for unlocking. 

2. No makemigration, as it was virtually never used.

3. Optimizations for the rate limit. heavy users, won't be blocked out due to rate limits of evernote.

4. Servers moved to google cloud from predix, so uptime will not suffer platform issues anymore.

391578527_ScreenShot2019-01-28at13_55_37.png.9ab2fed913cd6f1fba04f072b33254ba.png

Happy locking!

I also would very much like to see the ability to lock notes.   I have a new Android device on which I've installed evernote but I'm afraid to use evernote on it because my precious notes feel too vulnerable there!

True enough.
But why isn't merely locking a single note a basic function across whatever plans the patron has?
It's merely neutering the ability to delete or modify via a toggle.
We could have BOTH history AND permanency. ☝️

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There is a basic note lock function, not connected to any plans.  However Evernote has not given us access to the toggle.

I use the feature from Filterize to toggle notes read-only and non-deletable

... interesting.
Why hasn't Evernote given us access to a toggle?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There is a basic note lock function, not connected to any plans.  

It is used in shared notes.  When sharing you can select edit or just read capability.  The read only ones are locked.  I agree it would be nice if this function was exposed for all notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a note that locks up, trying to go into edit of the note, and it hangs.
(well i actually have several, that hang on my mobile devices, ok on mac)
(a lot of them are scrapes of websites / web pages)...

PLEASE allow me to set to read-only and "not" go into edit mode, no need to.

I imagine if it doesn't try to edit, the note might just easily be "read"

• Like 2

I'm not looking for 3rd-party solutions to 'read-only' status.

This should be a basic property of ANY Evernote doc.

Think about the plethora of legal documentation, etc. that users import into their EverNote apps.

Most of these notes are to used as reference, without desire to accidentally alter or remove them.

Having to rely of restoration and/or 3rd-party means is an unnecessary hassle.
All that is needed is a write on/off (default) toggle somewhere in the menubar.

• Like 2

I assume some Evernote™ engineer is monitoring this discussion so I believe EverNote is aware.
That's why we have the Evernote™ forum.

Well obviously.... no movement in a half decade; which is NOT acceptable.

My guess the only way is to complain on either feedback or contact a human within EverNote and complain.

I think I'll do it... being that this forum hasn't produced anything that I value.

... Evernote has a few Facebook accounts (I've checked).

I think I'll ***** in PUBLIC.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Most people posting here are on a paying a count.

So who is hindering you to go ahead and swamp support with this feature request ?

Here somebody from EN Amy listen in - at Support they get paid to do so.

P.S. Just to get this right: I think this is a good request, and have added my vote to the basket quite a while ago.

I've been a fully paid user for the past half decade or so.

The Evernote™ team hasn't given me (us) a followup on our request to have a convenient toggle to lock the document versus the the half-ass way recovering from history or via a 3rd-party hack.   I think it's a dereliction of duty.

Hence I've subscribed to the Facebook community and shall bring this concern out in the open.

Ric.

• Like 1

Hi,

Day by day, my notes are getting bigger and bigger and there are some contents that I do not intend to change, simply because they are study notes. So the feature of being able to block some notes would be a really nice one to have.

I suggest that just in case the person needs to unlock for some reason, the block feature could be a note status, where the user would have to use a toggle button to lock/unlock and have a popup message showing up to make sure the user really wants to proceed with th action whethe it's locking/unlocking the note. In case it's locked, the edit button would stop appearing.

Hope I didn't complicate this idea of locking lol.

This has been a thread for 8 years?! Why hasn’t this been added yet. Just a read only option to avoid accidental edits. There are hundred of up votes here which means that this option would make thousands of people more satisfied. Please add this feature. It’s essential for a product like this 

• Thanks 1

I often want someone else to read my note on the iPad, so i hand it to them and they end up modifying/deleting part of my text inadvertently.

I also have notes that I reference often, but rarely edit.

In both of these cases I NEED a read-only option for these notes.

My use of Evernote is divided between Notebooks where I actively add, remove, and edit information and another set of notebooks that serve as my library.  The library notes and notebooks are predominantly pdf files of books and articles that I use in my teaching / research.

I would very much like to be able to "lock" or prevent a note from being edited without an extra step.  Sometimes (especially when using Evernote on a tablet or my phone), I have accidentally deleted information about the pdf or even the pdf itself.  "Locking" the note would require you to "unlock" it in order to type within it or change it.  Notebooks could be set to default to "locked" or "unlocked" notes.  

This would allow me to share entire notebooks with my students without always having the extra step of making it "read only" for them.  Being able to set this option to a predetermined default would also be appreciated.

Thank you for your consideration!  I appreciate all that this company is and continues to become.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Billdhampton@gmail.com said:

I would very much like to be able to "lock" or prevent a note from being edited without an extra step. 

I merged your post with an existing discussion for this feature    
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

>>This would allow me to share entire notebooks with my students without always having the extra step of making it "read only" for them.  

Edit permission is actually a function of the share process2137490636_ScreenShot2020-04-08at3_36_18PM.png.a232a152bf49add68310690a7d3e3b0f.png

I need this function too. I used Note to record all my stuff, from research ideas to shopping list. Therefore, I need to check with Note from time to time, it is quite easy to delete the text accidentally, so a simple lock button to individual note helps me a lot. I hope this function can be available soon. 

1 hour ago, ezfine said:

As I saw the date of this request was at 2011, it's 9 years ago. I doubt EN's management team is aware of this very basic requirement.

I see where we're going wrong - 'Read only' means Evernote team just need to read it but not actually do anything with it !  :-)

Seriously, it's time to fix this guys.  I've lost information any number of times where I found out straight away, and was able to undo.  God knows how many times I did it without finding out.

The worst case (for me) has been where I right click a link (to open in new window), which selects it, so the next character I type in the source note replaces the whole link.  Bang, gone, and I probably won't even notice.

+1

We totally need a read-only option. I have some notes that contains terminal commands and I use them regularly, but everytime I need to put myself in "alert mode" or I can accidentally erase or change some character, and this would destroy the command (which happened more than one time). Unfortunately, the way things are I can't even consider upgrading my account and probably I will have to change to another product.

• Like 1

+1 request to have the option of making notes Read Only.

Yes, I know that with my Premium account I can go back through the history if I discover a change. The problem is that it is currently possible to accidentally make a change to a note without realising it (especially when you use Evernote on smart devices and fumble them e.g. by putting them in your pocket without locking the screen). If you don't know that a change has occurred, there's no reason to go digging through note history.

Considering write protection has been a feature of note-taking throughout history (e.g. using ink instead of chalk or pencil, the little recording tabs on audio & video cassettes, the write protect slot on floppy disks, and the write-protect flag on almost every file system), this appears to be a "table stakes" feature.

Agree. Just a simple padlock symbol on the top menu bar which when clicked locks/unlocks the note. To unlock a note it could require the users password to prevent accidental clicking.

When will this feature be available as its been requested ages ago.....

Thanks, Andy

According to the preview video, next Evernote version might have edit mode/read mode. This is not exactly what we have been waiting for, although this may improve our concerns some how.

So many comments, no feedbacks for long time. That’s what I don’t get. At least, They can share us their thought and plan on this.

I first emailed support two years ago to ask how to make a note read-only. Surprised it is still not a feature.  Please allow notes to be made read-only by the user!

Also, I do the same as noted by an earlier user, and that's a big reason I want this feature:
> I view  my notes in descending modification date sequence   

I wish you could set this at the "app level", I do all my editing on computers but also have Evernote installed on my iPad for browsing/reading *ONLY*. The number of times that I've accidentally edited the damn note making it sync back is beyond frustrating.

On 6/12/2018 at 2:50 PM, Mikhail Osher said:

Not sure if it happens really often, but it will make my life such easier. Every time I open my notes with sensitive data I'm scared to erase something by accident.

Exactly!

Evernote normally makes life easier, but in this case they've given me a new thing to worry about.

I need new worries like I need a hole in the head.

Knowing I can recover something that I deleted by accident is useless if I don't even realize I deleted it.

I came extremely close to this happening tonight; hence my presence here now.

This feature should be a basic no-brainer.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I like BNF's idea. Even though I am not terribly concerned about deleting stuff, since I never empty my trash, I do accidentally modify the wrong note on occassion. Early drafts of things get re-worked, and then I realize that I had a newer draft already, and I am wasting my time. Not only that, but I have ruined the early draft by messing around with it (deleting things here and there, moving stuff around, etc.). The scary thing is that I sometimes reproduce the same stuff! But, not always :) It would just be nice to know that old stuff is locked. Unlocking is no big deal compared to the hassle of recovering stuff.

And, you know I am going to say it: you could give us the option to toggle this auto-lock on/off :)

• Level 5*
And, you know I am going to say it: you could give us the option to toggle this auto-lock on/off :)

Heh. Options are for developers who are afraid of making choices... :)

• Level 5*

Heh. Options are for developers who are afraid of making choices... :)

Balderdash! (yes, I know who you are quoting)

Developers have to make choices one way or another when they design the default UI. That reflects their decisions, and if they did a good job (Evernote usually does), then most users will never have to mess around with any settings.

Giving users the ability to customize their experience is a choice as well, and it is pretty rare that I hear someone complaining about being able to do what they want to do :)

Taking away the user's ability to customize their experience, or deciding not to offer a feature is a choice as well, and I think a lot of customers complain when they cannot do what they want to do! It is especially painful when a feature Evernote developed to perfection is removed or radically altered, when a toggle would have satisfied everyone :(

• Level 5*

Hmm, I thought that I was quoting myself... and kidding, too...

Frankly, since note locking is available through the API, it might be a good 3rd-party opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmm, I thought that I was quoting myself... and kidding, too...

Frankly, since note locking is available through the API, it might be a good 3rd-party opportunity.

dlu said that somewhere in the forums. I guess great minds think alike! My mind may not be as great, but I know what I want :)

since I back everything up with Crashplan I can easily restore all my file's (not just Evernote) past versions or even deleted files (from previous days up to previous years). Everything is retained forever and there are no limits.

I actually had a problem recently when an app (Byword) on iPad deleted all of its files from the Dropbox. Took me just a couple of clicks to restore everything without any problem. I guess I could have contacted Dropbox support and ask them to restore those files for me but doing it myself is just much faster.

so the bottom line - automatic backup is awesome.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'd like to propose a feature for all Evernote platforms: Let us toggle a read-only attribute on notes.

Let me explain why: I use Evernote to keep lists of customers, email addresses, etc. and other stuff that rarely needs to be changed. Sometimes, I will highlight those bits of text to copy/paste into another window. However, I occasionally hit a key on the keyboard which replaces all of the highlighted text in the note. If I don't notice this, the changes get synced and I lose the data that used to be there (admittedly my own mistake).

If you could right-click on notes and toggle a read-only checkbox or something similar, that would make Evernote much more robust for storing things that you never want to accidentally change like doctor info, email addresses of friends, or whatever. Also, if you think about how many things you clip/copy/paste into a note that never again need to be edited, it just makes sense to be able to lock the content to prevent edits.

Overall, I think a read-only feature would make Evernote even more useful for storing long-term info.

Thanks!

• Like 9
  • Level 5*

Hi,

I'd like to propose a feature for all Evernote platforms: Let us toggle a read-only attribute on notes.

Let me explain why: I use Evernote to keep lists of customers, email addresses, etc. and other stuff that rarely needs to be changed. Sometimes, I will highlight those bits of text to copy/paste into another window. However, I occasionally hit a key on the keyboard which replaces all of the highlighted text in the note. If I don't notice this, the changes get synced and I lose the data that used to be there (admittedly my own mistake).

If you could right-click on notes and toggle a read-only checkbox or something similar, that would make Evernote much more robust for storing things that you never want to accidentally change like doctor info, email addresses of friends, or whatever. Also, if you think about how many things you clip/copy/paste into a note that never again need to be edited, it just makes sense to be able to lock the content to prevent edits.

Overall, I think a read-only feature would make Evernote even more useful for storing long-term info.

Thanks!

hi. welcome to the forums!

this request occasionally comes up in the forums. so far, evernote doesn't seem like it is likely to implement it.

however, i sure would like to see it. even with trash that doesn't have to be deleted and note histories, it is still a worry, because you might accidentally delete something and not realize it for days or weeks, especially in an account with thousands of notes.

however, i sure would like to see it. even with trash that doesn't have to be deleted and note histories, it is still a worry, because you might accidentally delete something and not realize it for days or weeks, especially in an account with thousands of notes.

This is exactly what happened to me. I had deleted something and didn't notice it for a few weeks. Why not give people the ability to avoid having to use the note histories at all when such a simple thing as a read-only flag would solve it once and for all?

• Level 5*

This is exactly what happened to me. I had deleted something and didn't notice it for a few weeks. Why not give people the ability to avoid having to use the note histories at all when such a simple thing as a read-only flag would solve it once and for all?

i could not agree more :)

I have tested this manual procedure a few times, and it seems to work. The notes (after importation) are not editable at the least...

1. Export the note(s) to a place where you can easily find them (computer desktop).

2. Open the notes in a text editor

3. Search for the section (near the end) that includes <note-attributes>

4. Copy a <content-class>xxxxx.xxxxx</content-class> somewhere before </note-attributes>. The API suggests that you use something company specific. I use my name.

5. Re-import the note to Evernote

Is there an easier way?

Dear EverNote team,

Please add the "read-only" feature. In fact, I recall that the earlier versions of EN (before it became cloud-enabled) had a button where you can toggle a note to read-only. I'm puzzled why it quietly went away.

+10000

I truly believe this feature is highly needed to prevent accidental deletion or modification of notes. As a workaround, I wrote a MacroExpress code to disable the delete button when EN window is active. My only concern now is to accidently modify a note without noticing because I ctrl+c 100's of times a day. I just could not find a way to set the note control to read-only at runtime even though I was able to do so with other apps.

• Level 5*

There are at least a couple of other threads with this same request, with only crickets in response. 

Hi. I don't think of myself as a cricket :)

Requests for features occur all the time around here. Sometimes Evernote staff respond. Sometimes they don't. Most of the time, they cannot comment on the roadmap, so there isn't much to say. However, they read all of the posts.

As for the other users (this is a user forum), this feature has been requested in the past (by myself and others), and there isn't much more to say about it, I guess. Here are some ideas for "locking" notes. 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35413-can-i-lock-my-note/?p=191517

There are at least a couple of other threads with this same request, with only crickets in response.

Actually, there are some threads with very recent replies (as in just a few HOURS before *your* post), such as the first two links below. The reason some threads have no reply may be b/c people don't use the search function to see if their request has been addressed before & the regulars on the board get tired of posting the same reply to the same question. The search function is your friend.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35437-suggestion-ability-to-lock-changes/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35413-can-i-lock-my-note/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22032-lock-a-note-function/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28111-request-lockunlock-individual-notes-for-windows/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18706-how-to-lock-notes-against-deleting-or-editing/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25110-request-lock-evernote-make-notes-read-only/

I have asked for this couple of times before.

Is has been awhile since EV added ANYTHING useful to the note-editing/formating itself... I wouldn't hold my breath for the new features.

• Level 5*

I'd really like to see this feature return too. In EN2 you could lock individual notes but like quite a few useful features, that ability just mysteriously disappeared at some point.

It probably disappeared when V3 came around (or maybe 3.5). A lot of things changed then, and the timeline view disappeared, mourned by some, but not me...

Hi,

my solution works only for small notes:

I have two notebooks: one contains only the original files. I'm very careful with them. These notes get exported and saved away from EN.

In EN i have a copy for daily usage. From time to time I delete the copies and replace them with my originals.

Sounds complicated, but works for me.

The second way could be realized with a second EN Account (I admit, I have one for work and one for private Issues)

Create a Notebook and invite your other account for reading only.

So content can only be added through one account.

Kind regards Olli

I'm wondering, isn't it absolutely necessary to introduce such a button like "Toggle Edit Mode" or "Lock Edit" or whatsoever the name, in order to protect notes from unwanted changes or editings? Very often than not the notes are changed without out deliberate operation, right? Isn't that annoying? For example, when you have opened a note, and are or are'nt reading the note, but you touched the keyboards unintentionally and the note is changed -- what's worse, you may have not noticed it. Isn't it an annoiance? Further, even you can guard against mis-editing or mis-changes, isn't it a helly experience to do so? Why not introduce a "Toggle Edit Mode" or "Lock Edit" button, which is very easy to do, just like the android version EN, or other note-taking software, like myBase, the clips of the relevant interface is attached here.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

That already exists in Android - there's an Edit button for those who (like me) tend to hit random keys while trying not to drop the phone.  Don't see it's necessary on desktop clients - don't know about iOS.

• Level 5*

It appeared in Android because some users had a rant about how unrealistic it was to show notes in an editable state - because that led to accidentally altered and deleted notes.

Of course there are now the rants about how long it takes to edit a note given that extra keypress...

• Like 2

. . . Of course there are now the rants about how long it takes to edit a note given that extra keypress...

Ha!, Isn't that just the way?  

It should default to editable and  then a special key or button to lock it

• Level 5*

I found this thread not because I'm trying to prevent myself from messing up my notes, but a "Read-only option for individual notes and notebooks alike is useful when you need to share a note or notebook with someone but you don't want that other person or people modifying the note.

It's hard to believe when the Evernote team conceived this app that they wouldn't consider the usefulness of making some notes read only; especially shared notes and notebooks.

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Anyway, you can already share a single note as read-only via email. You can also share a notebook as read-only with another Evernote user; that's the default anyways.

Hi... Tried EN many moons ago, then went with OneNote but EN's cloud and accessible anywhere features are bringing me back...Enough kudos...

Is there a way to mark a note as "read-only" so I cannot accidentally erase or modify it? Thanks. Alex

+1 agree that this is a must have. 
  • Level 5*

The usual workaround that I suggest nowadays is to make a separate account for stuff that you are afraid that you might mess up by inadvertently editing them. Share the notebooks in that account as read-only to your main account, and you are saved from yourself.

• Like 2

The usual workaround that I suggest nowadays is to make a separate account for stuff that you are afraid that you might mess up by inadvertently editing them. Share the notebooks in that account as read-only to your main account, and you are saved from yourself.

It's an ad-hoc thing.  Fiddling about sharing with myself from an additional account sounds a right PITA.  I just want to click a button "Make Read Only", "Protect from Changes" or whatever.

KD