Evernote "Backup/Export" in markdown

Hi everyone!
I'm creating a little python application you can use to backup your entire evernote.

Basically it opens a little dialog with all your notebooks, ask yuo for a local directory and
you can choose wich notebooks to exports. The application will create a directory with the notebook title,
an md file for every note in that directory and if the notes has attachments the app will create a directory with
all the attachments inside it. This dir will have the name of the note.

I would like to hear your opinions:
1- do you think it could be a useful application? It is for me, but I don't know if someone else could find it useful.
2- do you know if there is already something around doing quite the same things?
and, maybe for the future, if you want to try it, let me know!
Thank you!
David

Hi gazumped,

well yes it does a raw backup. For a simple backup I think I would use the simple "enex" export of the evernote app.

I'm thinking more at something exporting in markdown so you can have locally and you can read and manipulate when/how you want.
Maybe useful if you want to abandone evernote. (think I will never do XD ).

And, right now, I was thinking at something free...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I tried out Backupery when it first went out in beta (and was free) :) - I believe they do export the whole database to ENEX,  although it could well have changed.  I'm happy enough with a daily snapshot of my Databases folder,  though I think quite a few folks have commented that they would like a way to see notes outside of Evernote.  If you need someone to test this version on,  I'll give it a shot if you like...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I tried out Backupery when it first went out in beta (and was free) :) - I believe they do export the whole database to ENEX,  although it could well have changed.  I'm happy enough with a daily snapshot of my Databases folder,  though I think quite a few folks have commented that they would like a way to see notes outside of Evernote.  If you need someone to test this version on,  I'll give it a shot if you like...

Nice to here from you that "quite a few folks have commented that they would like a way to see notes outside of Evernote". 
I just have a strange need of...  "sense of control" of my material, so I'm happy to see that my pdfs, mp3, images and notes I store in Evernote (I have there my diary, my projects ideas and so on) are on my hard drive. I'm not planning right now a bidirectional sync, but I don't know what I'm doing in the future ;)
And... Yes! I'll surely send you my app as soon as I've something usable. In any case, just to be clear, I just read from evernote. I do not write anything on the cloud, so we can stay paceful :D

Thank you again! I'll be back to you soon. I hope.
D

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, davidgerva said:

1- do you think it could be a useful application? It is for me, but I don't know if someone else could find it useful.
2- do you know if there is already something around doing quite the same things?

I actually keep an export of my notes in html format, so I have complete access "outside of evernote"
I'm using Applescript on a Mac to schedule this daily (incremental - only changed notes), documented here

- No dialog - it just runs automatically.
- I prefer the html format, not sure the benefits from a MarkDown conversion
- outputs to a cloud drive, so its available from all my devices
- as you noted; single file for a note, and folder for attachments

• Like 1

Hi DTlow and thank you for your infos...

Actually this is a very similar tool. The only important difference I see is that if you want to modify your notes, 
the HTML format is not so friendly... I mean, I know there are a lot of tool you can use to work on an HTML document
WYSIWYG, but I see the markdown language as a more "malleable". And also generally very easy to import in other applications.

In any case, what you report is really near my intent... a good point to reason on. ;) Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-08-25 at 1:56 AM, davidgerva said:

Hi everyone!
I'm creating a little python application you can use to backup your entire evernote.

Basically it opens a little dialog with all your notebooks, ask yuo for a local directory and
you can choose wich notebooks to exports. The application will create a directory with the notebook title,
an md file for every note in that directory and if the notes has attachments the app will create a directory with

Thank you!
David

I am extremely interested in this, so please keep us posted on your progress.  I'd be happy to be a beta tester if you are looking for those.

Kevin

• Like 1
On 8/25/2016 at 4:56 AM, davidgerva said:

Hi everyone!

Thank you!
David

Dude... I've been planning to create exactly the same thing, but I was thinking of making it an online app. Structured export to Markdown or PDF. Free for < x notes/notebooks, but $$$ for larger users.

Just like you, my main concern is how many people are actually interested in something like this? The main target for such a service would be people who are dissatisfied with Evernote and would like to manage their notes manually, so you'd need to somehow figure out how large of an audience that actually is.

What do you think about teaming up on this, at least for discussion and ideas? As for implementation, I was initially going to write it in Scala, but I'm fine with Python too.

PM me if you're interested and we can chat further on FB or Hangouts.

Assil

On 9/9/2016 at 5:40 PM, aksiksi said:

Dude... I've been planning to create exactly the same thing, but I was thinking of making it an online app. Structured export to Markdown or PDF. Free for < x notes/notebooks, but $$$ for larger users.

Just like you, my main concern is how many people are actually interested in something like this? The main target for such a service would be people who are dissatisfied with Evernote and would like to manage their notes manually, so you'd need to somehow figure out how large of an audience that actually is.

What do you think about teaming up on this, at least for discussion and ideas? As for implementation, I was initially going to write it in Scala, but I'm fine with Python too.

PM me if you're interested and we can chat further on FB or Hangouts.

Assil

I sent you a PM!
Did you receive it?!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, amsterdamfriend said:

Really interested in converting certain notes to Markdown so that I can easily use structure and format for markdown pages. Any updates on this?

Hi.  Evernote don't usually provide updates as such - either the feature is available,  or it's not:  and in this case it isn't.  Sorry.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, amsterdamfriend said:

Really interested in converting certain notes to Markdown so that I can easily use structure and format for markdown pages.

I would export to html and use a third party product like https://cloudconvert.com/html-to-md

The .md file can be stored in Evernote as a note attachment

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Tamagotchi said:

Does Evernote 6.25 permit export of files in the markdown format?

No, the Legacy product only has two options: enex and html   
The Version 10 product only exports to enex format; new options are pending

>>Alternatively is it possible to convert the complete contents of a ENEX export to markdown?

html > markdown would be more likely; it's ubiquitous

• Level 5*
On 6/22/2020 at 8:45 PM, amsterdamfriend said:

Really interested in converting certain notes to Markdown so that I can easily use structure and format for markdown pages. Any updates on this?

Googling "convert html to markdown" I get almost 2M hits.  I'd think there are a lot of solutions out there for most conversion needs...