Ability to add Hyperlink/URL's to text (Android)

aekae47

Idea

55 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to insert hyperlink/URL's into text on Android have been merged into this thread.

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to insert hyperlink/URL's into text on Android here!

It's 2019 and from my searches it appears this feature has been requested since 2014😥

Still can't add or modify a hyperlink in the android app. How hard is this? It should be a simple feature in any electronic tool. I like to have notes reference each other and am doing more and more things on portable tools like phones and tablets. Please add this feature. Without features like this Evernote is falling further and further behind giving more motivation to look at other tools. 

• Like 5
  • Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums! This is clearly a popular request. Don't know how easy it is to implement; but I do know that simply pasting in a URL usually creates a hyperlink, so it seems like some part of the function must already be in place. It would also be nice to be able to remove hyperlinks, e.g., when I type in a reference like "pp. 213-215" and Evernote makes it a phone number link! Everyone supporting this request, please be sure you've clicked the upward-pointing arrow at the top of the page--it'll turn green for you when you've clicked it.

• Like 2

Yes! I have been looking for some time for a way to do this in Android. It's absurd that this hasn't been dealt with. Especially with the increased power of Android devices and now the ability to run android apps on Chromebooks, the Android version must be made more powerful - more like the desktop versions.

• Like 1

Please please please add this feature! Looks like this has been a requested feture over 2 years now? This is literally the only drawback of this notes app for Android. I'll beta test for it. I'll pay. What ever it takes. Let's get this done! 😁

• Like 1

I'm also surfacing this request.

I make extensive use of storing URLs in my notes and research. On Mac, all my URLs are tidy (as in, the word "Evernote" will go to "http://evernote.com" without looking like a URL). On iOS, this is nearly unachievable.

I reached out to support and they did give me one method that works (and may be universal across iOS but I haven't tried). See this link for the method.

But it's SO tedious. Quotes, spaces, two types of brackets… That's an obnoxious amount of software keyboard steps just to make a link. The "method" link I made in the above sentence is what I need to be able to do in Evernote on iOS. On this forum, it was two button clicks. On Mac, it's CMD+K. We need a proper iOS method.

Yes this is ridiculous it is a 2 year thread. I hate having URLs when using Android App.... I use ControlK with a thousand other APPS....why can't Evernote make this 30second fix? 

PLEASE LET USB CREATE HYPERLINKS ON ANDROID APP! 

• Like 1

Also Premium user here. The issue is that I just switched from iphone/mac to pixel3 xl/pixelbook and there is no option for me to hyperlink my text in ever note(neither web nor android support this). this is an issue for me as it hinders my ability to get organized... I have to ask for my wife's mac to do that...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/23/2016 at 8:18 AM, aekae47 said:

the Android app doesn't have an option to add hyperlink to a word or a sentence

@Z.Rot - with an Android app you can do whatever you would like to do with links... except add them to a word or a sentence as a hidden link.  Just a missing function - for the moment -  of the Android editor. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, Z.Rot said:

This is indeed unreal in 2019. Is sharing a link with somebody not possible if the receiver uses android? Is it impossible for android users to open links to my ever-notes ('CTRL/') that I have sent them? Are Evernote links really incompatible with mobile devices or is there a workaround yet? Confused.

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Take a close look at the original post in this thread. It's talking about adding a link to a selected bit of text, like this: Evernote Help on sharing Android notes. Links as such can be pasted into notes in Evernote Android, but URLs cannot be attached to text.

But you are apparently asking about something else, sharing links to Evernote notes in Android. For info on that, click the link above.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, Conagh said:

I'm guessing this has been sitting in developer backlog for a long time because it doesn't strictly speaking limit functionality, and therefore isn't prioritised. It does, however, limit usability. This is a key tool for keeping notes funtional and readable - the core point of Evernote. As many others here have said, this would be trivial to implement and be a huge help to many users. 

I agree that this is needed, and would be great to have (and I've voted it up at the top). I'm not sure how trivial it would be to implement, though. As @gazumped said awhile back,

On 9/3/2019 at 10:58 AM, gazumped said:

with an Android app you can do whatever you would like to do with links... except add them to a word or a sentence as a hidden link.  Just a missing function - for the moment -  of the Android editor.

I do have an email app on my phone that can do this, and a calendar app that can add links to text in the description field. But I've got 3 other note-taking apps, and none of them can add links to text. Even Polaris Office, which can create elaborately formatted .docx files, can't do this. Nor can the Google Docs app. So while it is possible to do this in Android, I don't think we should assume it is simple, and it's clearly very far from being universal.

• Like 3

I second this! To expand a little on the explanation for what's required:

In Evernote for Windows, creating a hyperlink is easy: simply highlight the word or phrase that you wish to link to a URL; click on the Format menu; select Hyperlink; and click Add. Or you can of course use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+K.

In the Android app, the option to create a hyperlink should logically be placed in the formatting bar, alongside the regular formatting (bold, italic, underline, etc).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  There are thousands of requests for new and updated features,  not to mention the odd bug issue.  This will be on a to do list somewhere,  but its priority will depend on other focus groups and the score at the top left of this page,  which is currently '2'.  If it's technically possible,  I'm sure Evernote will do this - the only question is when...

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 4/30/2018 at 4:24 AM, WadeLiang said:

I second this request. As a premium user, this is usefull for collect data

Absolutely! Hope you have clicked the upward-pointing arrow at the top of the page to register your support for the idea.

Hi Guys, 

I don't know if this is still an active topic. I had the same problem but it seems I've solved it accidentally. 
Here's a little how-to, hopefully this will help. 

Let's say you want to add a link to the Evernote Blog which is https://evernote.com/blog/
But this should appear like this Evernote Blog

You can simply follow these steps: 

1. Copy/Paste your destination URL in Evernote (e.g. https://evernote.com/blog/)
2. Press enter
3. Type your link text (e.g. Evernote Blog)
4. Select your link text and then Cut it
5. Paste the link text exactly before the destination URL
6. Press enter
7. Erase the destination URL
8. Done :) now your link text is an actual link

Hope this works out for you guys as well. 
I've tested multiple links and all of them work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @John Metz it's definitely still an active topic. Thanks for your suggestion, which I tried, but wasn't able to replicate. As this topic concerns the Android app (not the Windows program) I just wanted to make sure you realised this, as I suspect you may have thought it was about Windows?

+1,000,000,000,000

I already commented on this on May 31, but three months later I wanted to contrast Evernote to Day One, who just realized a nice update that includes a Link button on iOS. They said it's coming soon to the desktop version too.

When I talked to them about it I shared my gratitude and commented that Evernote and Day One had always made links a trillion times harder to execute than necessary. At least one of them have addressed this glaring issue.

Evernote, your own forum has a Link script (the chain). That is all we are asking for, on iOS. Or are you too busy bleeding executives to bother with links?

I swear, if One Note's UI weren't horrible in that only-Microsoft-can-do kinda away or Day One handled notebooks in an Evernote style, I would've left Evernote ages ago… Also, thanks for forcing me to spend $70-something a year on Premium to use apps on 3 devices to have just lowered it to $40-something. Really feel like I'm getting my money's worth, being unable to make links and all…

• Level 5
4 minutes ago, Timm27 said:

+1,000,000,000,000

I already commented on this on May 31, but three months later I wanted to contrast Evernote to Day One, who just realized a nice update that includes a Link button on iOS. They said it's coming soon to the desktop version too.

When I talked to them about it I shared my gratitude and commented that Evernote and Day One had always made links a trillion times harder to execute than necessary. At least one of them have addressed this glaring issue.

Evernote, your own forum has a Link script (the chain). That is all we are asking for, on iOS. Or are you too busy bleeding executives to bother with links?

I swear, if One Note's UI weren't horrible in that only-Microsoft-can-do kinda away or Day One handled notebooks in an Evernote style, I would've left Evernote ages ago… Also, thanks for forcing me to spend $70-something a year on Premium to use apps on 3 devices to have just lowered it to $40-something. Really feel like I'm getting my money's worth, being unable to make links and all…

FYI, this is the Android Feedback forum; iOS has its own, and this might be more helpful there. IAC, the forums are mainly user-to-user, and not a great way to address Evernote directly. As a Plus subscriber, you should be able to contact their support on this.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

FYI, this is the Android Feedback forum; iOS has its own, and this might be more helpful there. IAC, the forums are mainly user-to-user, and not a great way to address Evernote directly. As a Plus subscriber, you should be able to contact their support on this.

Oops! You’re right. I guess I’m paying for something so I’ll use that avenue.

Though, it emphasizes that Evernote’s issue of the missing ability to make links is systemic across both mobile platforms.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 4/13/2019 at 11:50 PM, Paul Badea said:

Also Premium user here. The issue is that I just switched from iphone/mac to pixel3 xl/pixelbook and there is no option for me to hyperlink my text in ever note(neither web nor android support this). this is an issue for me as it hinders my ability to get organized... I have to ask for my wife's mac to do that...

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forums. Be sure to add your support for this request by clicking the up arrow at the top of the page.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, doctorkeo said:

I second (and whatever I need to say) to try to get Evernote to add this very basic feature.

Hi.  As long as you also clicked the counter at the top left of this page...

This is indeed unreal in 2019. Is sharing a link with somebody not possible if the receiver uses android? Is it impossible for android users to open links to my ever-notes ('CTRL/') that I have sent them? Are Evernote links really incompatible with mobile devices or is there a workaround yet? Confused.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:09 PM, jparke1105 said:

Hey guys,

I, too, ran into this problem.

The easiest work-around is to copy/paste your link into the note. It could be the link to another note, a Google Docs/Sheets document, or whatever you want it to be.

Best of luck.

Lol everyone knows that. That isn't the problem. 

I'm guessing this has been sitting in developer backlog for a long time because it doesn't strictly speaking limit functionality, and therefore isn't prioritised. It does, however, limit usability. This is a key tool for keeping notes funtional and readable - the core point of Evernote. As many others here have said, this would be trivial to implement and be a huge help to many users. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 8/17/2018 at 9:00 AM, John Metz said:

Hi Guys, 

I don't know if this is still an active topic. I had the same problem but it seems I've solved it accidentally. 

Let's say you want to add a link to the Evernote Blog which is https://evernote.com/blog/

1. Copy/Paste your destination URL in Evernote (e.g. https://evernote.com/blog/)
2. Press enter
6. Press enter

John, I'm going to slightly adjust your instructions - this works for me on the Android app:

1. Copy/Paste your destination URL in Evernote (e.g. https://evernote.com/blog/)

2. Press enter, if needed, to turn the text that you entered into an actual link

3. Touch on some text somewhere outside of the link that you just created such that you get a cursor

4. Then touch and hold on that cursor and move it to where it is now inside the link somewhere

5. Type your link text description (e.g. Evernote Blog)

6. Finally, delete the characters from the original URL text in front of and following your descriptive text until only your descriptive text remains

7. Done :) your descriptive text should appear as a link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woooooow THIS WORKED! 

Thats amazing youve figured out how to hack this on Evernote Android and yet Evernote doesnt even bother to tell their users! 

@Roy - your process worked for me (backspacing over the hyperlink until i got to my Link Text is my preferred method).....but @John - i couldn't do your process b/c i cant get my cursor to "move" from a random spot to inside the hyperlink b/c once i let go it activated the hyperlink to a webpage. 

My simplified process is: 

1) type "Evernote Blog www.evernoteblog.com" (NOTE: there's a space between the word Blog and the www)

2) erase the space

3) backspace/erase the URL (www.evernoteblog.com) 

4) voila! 

Regardless - after having this thread started OVER THREE YEARS AGO.....you guys have finally found a solution!

KUDOS MATES! 

P. S. Extra credit for anyone that might not be in the know....when you're on the Windows Desktop/Web App...just select your Hyperlink and hit CONTROL-K and you can easily type your Link Text which disappears your hyperlink while activating the Link Text URL accordingly. Go get em! 

• Level 5*

My secret process for getting links into Android notes is to set them up via Ctrl+K on the desktop.  You guys seem to find it easy to move cursors around in Android.. I don't.  I tried for an hour or so to create links as above,  but got nowhere (though I did visit Evernote's blog repeatedly!...)   ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I just tested, and found that neither @John Metz's nor @Cdiggitydog's methods worked for me. Only @Roy Douglas's method of putting the link text into the midst of the URL works, and it works great. Only getting the link text to turn blue underlined will make it work, and I find that that only happens if it is within the hyperlinked URL, not at the beginning or end. As a refinement: rather than typing the link text directly within the link, or cutting and pasting it from elsewhere, I can type it elsewhere, then highlight and drag the link text into the midst of the URL, delete the URL text (including by selecting and backspacing), and it works.

@gazumped, for me the secret to moving cursors around this precisely is the S Pen on a Samsung device. Or perhaps any stylus on any device. Not my allegedly prehensile thumbs; I wouldn't even try.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

As a refinement: rather than typing the link text directly within the link, or cutting and pasting it from elsewhere, I can type it elsewhere, then highlight and drag the link text into the midst of the URL, delete the URL text (including by selecting and backspacing)

Well crikey, till now I had no idea one could highlight and drag text in Android!

Having said that (and thank you Dave) it only worked for me once... because like @gazumped I found it impossible to repeat, even after having enlarged the screen. Just too fiddly.

Thanks also to @Roy Douglas for your nifty workaround! Worked for me a couple of times but too fiddly for me to rely on as a solution without frustration.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

the secret to moving cursors around this precisely is the S Pen on a Samsung device

Doh!  I'm a long long time Samsung user and that never even occurred to me...  that,  and I mainly use the mobile for capturing images and audio.  I'm a keyboard man,  me...  😎

Thanks for the clarification though!! 

• Level 5
15 hours ago, Ralph77 said:

Well crikey, till now I had no idea one could highlight and drag text in Android!

Yeah, that's been back for awhile, since v. 7.17 anyway. I don't think it was ever reported in the version notes on Google Play, and formatting such as font, size, italics, underlining, etc., does not come along; but the text itself is easily dragged and moved.

I will agree that this is a fiddly kludge, and no real substitute for the actual functionality, but in occasional situations of real necessity it may work.

On 11/29/2019 at 3:41 PM, gazumped said:

My secret process for getting links into Android notes is to set them up via Ctrl+K on the desktop.  You guys seem to find it easy to move cursors around in Android.. I don't.  I tried for an hour or so to create links as above,  but got nowhere (though I did visit Evernote's blog repeatedly!...)   ;)

As for moving the cursor around in Android, I use the Gboard keyboard and I use the gesture of sliding my thumb left-to-right or right-to-left along the spacebar to move the cursor.  So I'll just click (touch) to place the cursor right before the beginning of the URL, then I'll glide to the right along the spacebar to move the cursor to be within the URL

• Like 2
On 8/17/2018 at 9:00 AM, John Metz said:

Hi Guys, 

2. Press enter
6. Press enter

@John Metz's solution works wonderfully on the Android app as long as you paste the text *within* the URL vs *before* (step 5). 

On 9/10/2018 at 6:37 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to insert hyperlink/URL's into text on Android have been merged into this thread.

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to insert hyperlink/URL's into text on Android here!

I have exactly the same need. Thanks

On 1/31/2019 at 4:33 AM, 804michael said:

It's 2019 and from my searches it appears this feature has been requested since 2014😥

Still can't add or modify a hyperlink in the android app. How hard is this? ..............

You can add hyperlink in Android version too. Infact, every link (that has turned blue) is a hyperlink. To rename the hyperlink move (note that it's not easy to place the cursors in-between a link because when you tap a link to place your cursor there, the link opens the webpage instead of placing the cursor there. To move cursor I use Google keyboard (that sliding-on-the spacebar feature)) and place your cursor anywhere between the first and the last letter of the hyperlink. And type the name you want to give to the hyperlink rename then delete the other part of the link (the URL part).

• Level 5

All „elements“ to be inserted are behind the blue +. Text formatting is meant for plain text. I think this should be kept in separate sections, for better transparency.

If you understood the logic once, it is pretty easy to locate the possible elements to insert, like hyperlinks.