Syncing on 2 or more Desktops

Hi,

i use two desktop systems (windows 10) with evernote for windows desktop. On my laptop i have the full (?) database with all (?) Attachements (near 5gb). On the other system i have only near 500mb.

Question: Is my laptop system the "main" system for evernote and all data are syncing into the local database and the other system is only a "secondary" system for evernote and only the used notes are syncing in the local database (like on my iPhone)?

Thanks for answers!

• Level 5*

For Windows desktop clients, you get the whole account, except for notebooks designated as "Local", which are stored only on the machine that they are created on. All other notebooks are synced to the Evernote mothership, so the databases should be the same for those notebooks. There is no real "main system" in this case. If you have local notebooks, you are responsible for backing them up; they are not synced to Evernote, so if your database gets corrupted, your local notebook may be gone for good.

Mobile clients like Android and iOS typically do not contain full databases, but you can choose notebooks to be designated as "offline", which means that they are synced to the mobile  device.Of course, any new notes you create on a mobile device will be synced to Evernote.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, evernyx said:

i use two desktop systems (windows 10) with evernote for windows desktop. On my laptop i have the full (?) database with all (?) Attachements (near 5gb). On the other system i have only near 500mb.

Question: Is my laptop system the "main" system for evernote and all data are syncing into the local database and the other system is only a "secondary" system for evernote and only the used notes are syncing in the local database (like on my iPhone)?

As to a "main" system, I refer to the Evernote Servers as the master version of your data.
Updates from each device sync to the Evernote Servers, and from there sync to each device
- exception Local notebooks

• The desktop platforms get a full copy of the EN data for your account
    - exception Local notebooks
  • The mobile platforms do not load a full copy of the database, just note headers
    - exception Offline notebooks
  • The web platform accesses the Evernote servers directly

Of course you could use different accounts on each device; that would restrict the data syncd

How did you manage to have only 500mb on the one desktop device?

What you say is what i thought, but definitly: on the one Windows Desktop System i have far fewer data in the database then on my Laptop. I installed Evernote first on this Laptop. On both System i sync all Notebook, none of them is local. This is the reason for my question. It looks as if only notes that I call synchronized. Hmmm...

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, evernyx said:

What you say is what i thought, but definitly: on the one Windows Desktop System i have far fewer data in the database then on my Laptop. I installed Evernote first on this Laptop. On both System i sync all Notebook, none of them is local. This is the reason for my question. It looks as if only notes that I call synchronized. Hmmm...

Can you go to the web platform and verify your entire set of notes is there under the same account?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, evernyx said:

Yes, i only have one account. I use on both platform the same. Definitly!

And you can see all your notes on the web platform (www.evernote.com)?

If yes - I'd say you have a bad install on your device
Delete the database/app, and let EN reinstall from the servers

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, evernyx said:

If all your notes and notebooks appear to be there on both systems, we could just call this one of life's little mysteries. You could check in your Evernote folder system and examine the .exb files to get a better handle on the note database size. Other things like old Evernote installers, attachments, etc. also tend to accumulate in the Evernote folder tree, and that may be part of the difference.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, evernyx said:

Ah ok! I think the.exb is bigger

When you gave the 5GB vs 500MB, you weren't quoting .exb sizes?

The .exb file contains a complete copy of all the data, including attachments.
Attachments are extracted to a temporary folder while being viewed/edited

Archived