(Archived) PDFs not getting OCR'd

notreadbyhumans

Idea

I've recently noticed that some scanned PDFs are not getting OCR'd. This doesn't appear to be happening with any consistency.

Has anyone else noticed this problem, and if so is there a known solution (that doesn't involve re-uploading the doc, with the associated use of credits)?

Using the latest version on Mac OSX, with a ScanSnap.

8 replies to this idea

I checked the servers, and it looks like we're keeping up with PDFs ok right now. There may be something specific with those scans. Are they under 100 pages each?

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but it seems to have the same symptoms: Recently I scanned in a page of business cards (600dpi, PDF format), and waited for them to be OCR'ed. And now, several days later, I can't search and find any of the text on the business cards. (I realize, after listening to the last podcast, that PDF is probably not the ideal format for this application, but it's the only format the office copier will produce.)

Is the Evernote OCR machine taking a snooze? Or am I doing something wrong?

And, yes, I am a Premium User.

Many thanks, guys!

No, the PDF processing queues are negligible right now (around 14 PDFs in the queue at this minute), so yours was either processed poorly, or there may have been some other issue.

On the Mac, try to sync your client, and then right-click on the PDF and see if you have an option to Save the Searchable version of the PDF to your computer. If you can do so, save that and open it to see the PDF processing results.

If you don't see any such option, then there may have been an issue with that particular PDF. You could open a Premium support inquiry from the Mac via: Help > Technical Support

Hmmmm . . . . I don't have an option to "Save the Searchable version", so perhaps mine didn't get processed correctly.

I have submitted a support inquiry. Anything I should do in the meantime?

I checked the servers, and it looks like we're keeping up with PDFs ok right now. There may be something specific with those scans. Are they under 100 pages each?

They were large docs, but under 100 pages (I think most were in the tens of MBs). This is a recent problem as I have been using the same set-up for quite a while (ScanSnap > PDF) and not experienced it in the past.

I will submit a support enquiry.

Archived