attachments folder

oded

My evernote folder has also an attachments folder (evernote\databases\attachments)
This folder contains several hundred files which I have recently attached to my notes.
However, my notes contain thousands of attachments which have been added during many years!
So my question: What is this folder for?
Does not the .exb file contain all the attachments?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, oded said:

My evernote folder has also an attachments folder (evernote\databases\attachments)
This folder contains several hundred files which I have recently attached to my notes.
However, my notes contain thousands of attachments which have been added during many years!
So my question: What is this folder for?
Does not the .exb file contain all the attachments?

The attachments folder is just a temporary cache
All the attachments are filed in your database

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

by "database" do you mean the .exb file?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, oded said:

by "database" do you mean the .exb file?

Correct - in Windows, the database is contained in a .exb file
Its a different container on the other platforms

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Correct - in Windows, the database is contained in a .exb file
Its a different container on the other platforms

Great!
Thank you so much for your help.
Much appreciated :D

Oded.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This is correct, but just to expand a little more: the attachments folder is where copies of attachments are stored while you're editing them (or just viewing them) using an external program (i.e., when you right-click / Open or double-click on an an attachment in Evernote). Usually they're automatically deleted when you're done editing or viewing, but that doesn't always happen, for mysterious reasons. If you're certain that the attachments contain any edits that you made, then you should be able to delete the files in the attachments folder.

30 minutes ago, jefito said:

This is correct, but just to expand a little more: the attachments folder is where copies of attachments are stored while you're editing them (or just viewing them) using an external program (i.e., when you right-click / Open or double-click on an an attachment in Evernote). Usually they're automatically deleted when you're done editing or viewing, but that doesn't always happen, for mysterious reasons. If you're certain that the attachments contain any edits that you made, then you should be able to delete the files in the attachments folder.

Hi Jeff,

So now I understand why my attachments folder contains only a small part of all my Evernote attachments :)
And even more important: Now I know that I can delete these files without being afraid of losing some info.
Thanks a lot for clarifying this issue :)

Oded.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, oded said:

Hi Jeff,

So now I understand why my attachments folder contains only a small part of all my Evernote attachments :)
And even more important: Now I know that I can delete these files without being afraid of losing some info.
Thanks a lot for clarifying this issue :)

Oded.

To add to what @jefito said, I would recommend periodically closing EN with File - Exit and then deleting all the files in the Attachments folder. On occasion Excel files containing pivot tables will get an external link inserted.  Easy to see since (1) or the like is appended to the file name.  

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jefito said:

If you're certain that the attachments contain any edits that you made, then you should be able to delete the files in the attachments folder.

2 hours ago, oded said:

Now I know that I can delete these files without being afraid of losing some info.

26 minutes ago, csihilling said:

To add to what @jefito said, I would recommend periodically closing EN with File - Exit and then deleting all the files in the Attachments folder. On occasion Excel files containing pivot tables will get an external link inserted.  Easy to see since (1) or the like is appended to the file name.  

Ideally, this cache would be empty if you're not using any attachments, but usually its not causing any issues 

Personally, I never give it much thought; I'm not even sure where it is located my Mac and  IOS devices.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Ideally, this cache would be empty if you're not using any attachments, but usually its not causing any issues 

Personally, I never give it much thought; I'm not even sure where it is located my Mac and  IOS devices.

Usually for sure.  But in Windows I have had rare instances where I open a spreadsheet which contains a pivot table and for whatever reason the pivot table is pointing to the data in the "same" spreadsheet in the Attachments folder.  The spreadsheet that is opened has a (1) appended to the file name.  I get a warning from Excel which stops me from hosing the spreadsheet and lets me clean things up.  Net of it all, keeping Attachments empty seems to control the issue.

Archived