The narrative we are waiting for

Glennie

Idea

Two Evernote engineers leave the company, being in disagreement with its ethics (or possibly lack of them). :o

They set up a rival to the web product. :)

They publish a road-map (first priority: Dark Theme). :P

They talk to users, at least giving the impression that they are going to take them seriously. :blink:...and then they do.!! :D

After a while, they ask users to make a commitment to paying 5 dollars a month for the product, which we are all very happy to do given that we have a product in which we feel like we have a stake and which is clearly attempting to respond to our needs. :D:D

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You can be unhappy about the state of the product but questioning their ethics without any backup is a little out of order.

You've also been around long enough that they don't ban people for disagreeing with them.

I've seen you make a load of very valid points on here, sprinkling this post with melodrama really devalues it in my eyes.

Without backing it up....?

Well, for one, and it's a big one, there has been a request around on this forum for three years for a dark version to help with eye strain etc. Perhaps I have overlooked something but I have not seen a response from anyone in Evernote (if there is one I stand corrected, obviously).

The issue here is not the absence of a dark version after all this time. There may be very good reasons for that, technical reasons that I would not understand. No, the issue is that nobody from Evernote has had the decency to respond, despite recent assurances that we are entering a new era of improved communications between Evernote and the web product users after the recognition that things could have been handled better in the past.

I think that silence, that decision to simply pretend the request is not there, is a disgrace. 

_______

As for the question of being banned. I really have no idea who controls access to this forum or how critical you can be before you become a persona non grata. So I thought I might post a provisional goodbye, just in case. 

_______

And Marcus..sorry, you misunderstood me...there is no rival. But some would probably like there to be.

• Level 5*

Not delivering a user request is not the same as being unethical is it? You may not like it, but there is a difference between not doing something you'd like and doing something morally wrong.

Evernote themselves control forum access, as I said, I don't remember anyone being banned for disagreeing with them. Be racist or anti-semitic or something equally stupid and then you can expect to be banned I'd guess - and quickly I hope.

It's not so much a question of not delivering...there may be very good reasons for that.

It's about explaining non-delivery (apologising even!) instead of pretending to be blind to a request that has been made over and over again for three years and commented on 294 times. That is simply not treating users with the respect they deserve. 

• Level 5

Evernote's policy: they do not to publicize their roadmap. This is not a secret. It has been mentioned many times.

There are several reasons for this logical approach to running their business and controlling communications with their customers. They are not blind. Just the opposite.

Why give a heads-up, advance notice to the competition? Kelloggs no longer offers a tour of their Battle Creek factory. Hershey's also stopped tours of their actual factory in Hersey, Pennsylvania. The competition was stealing too many of their ideas.

And why offer a tantalizing tease when it might never be possible due to Apple iOS restrictions or other cross-platform issues?

They have learned from past experience on subjects such as the 4-year long discussion on the Due Date field that any sort of comment / commitment could and will come back to bite them.

Search Code 47ER92

I just want somebody to seriously suggest that this conversation has never happened:

A: More users are requesting a dark version. That's 200 or more. I am not happy about leaving so many requests unanswered, especially when some of those people seem to have problems with their sight. What should we do?

B: Nothing.

Anyone want to respond to this point, finally? 

• Level 5*

Open a support request - that's your best chance of getting a direct answer to a direct question. Much better than making questionable statements on what is ostensibly a user forum.

• Level 5

Evernote has three possible options

1. Yes, we are working on a dark background. Then they will be hounded, day after day, for more details and exact dates on when it be launched on every single OS. 
  2. No, we are not working on a dark background. This will just increase the number of pissed-off users who will become more vocal and demand information on why it is not being developed. After all, it is possible on other software, so why not on Evernote? No matter what the explanation is, some of these users will keep picking at it, the same way they pick at a scab. And some will leave Evernote.
  3. Remain silent on a dark background. Keep the software developers focused on what Evernote considers important. If the option is finally coded, then make an announcement when the option is launched.

The choice seems obvious.

On 8/21/2016 at 1:45 PM, jbenson2 said:

Evernote has three possible options

1. Yes, we are working on a dark background. Then they will be hounded, day after day, for more details and exact dates on when it be launched on every single OS. 
  2. No, we are not working on a dark background. This will just increase the number of pissed-off users who will become more vocal and demand information on why it is not being developed. After all, it is possible on other software, so why not on Evernote? No matter what the explanation is, some of these users will keep picking at it, the same way they pick at a scab. And some will leave Evernote.
  3. Remain silent on a dark background. Keep the software developers focused on what Evernote considers important. If the option is finally coded, then make an announcement when the option is launched.

The choice seems obvious.

I choose #2

Archived