Feature Request - note links for parts of annotated PDF

ChiragC

Idea

I not entirely sure if this has been discussed already or is already a feature of Evernote.

I would like to be able to create links for a certain part of PDF documents (say some of the annotated parts) just like we create note links.

This might seem like a very specific request or something that may not be very useful for all users. I would like to explain why I am asking for this feature as then maybe other users could develop their own ideas around this feature request.

I read a particular newspaper online/offline using the newspaper's PDF version. As part of my news analysis study, I need to be able to categorise relevant news articles (to create a clipping of sorts) to the relevant notebooks for detailed future analysis of a particular issue. Considering that Annotate feature already makes a summary of the PDF document, I think we can build on that to allow note links. (Annotating newspaper PDFs which have multiple columns is very easy to do with Evernote). Say for example, there is an article on social issues, I would like to be able to add that article in the social issues notebook that I have.

Now I understand that there are different types of annotations like boxes, lines, arrows, stamps, highlight, draw, etc and adding note links for each of these annotations may not be ideal. But ability to add note link for at least one of the features like boxes could be just right.

Splitting PDFs into smaller ones via third party apps may not work as newspaper articles on a particular page are all not covering the same issue/reports. A simple link would be an amazing feature for me. Even getting the link of the particular article online and then clipping that using the web clipper is cumbersome as I would have to search and locate the relevant article, then clip it, then assign it to the right notebook all the while assuming the article can be accessed online through the browser. Sometimes, these articles may not be posted online or may only be available on the print version and the PDF version.

I could otherwise read the print edition, and snap a photo of relevant articles and then categorise it but for online editions, this would links to annotated parts would be a boon. I'm pretty sure people who use PDF documents regularly would appreciate this feature.

Or are there other ways of doing this? I would appreciate any tips/tricks! 

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Although you're reading a PDF document,  you're presumably doing so via a browser display from which you should be able to grab a screen shot.  Evernote has a screenshot option built in (my Windows client does,  anyway...) and there are numerous third-party screengrab apps which do the same job.  It should be easy to highlight the section of screen which contains an article you require and copy that item to an individual note. 

Alternatively if you have downloaded the PDF file and are reading it offline,  most PDF editors will allow you to highlight items and extract one or more pages.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Although you're reading a PDF document,  you're presumably doing so via a browser display from which you should be able to grab a screen shot.  Evernote has a screenshot option built in (my Windows client does,  anyway...) and there are numerous third-party screengrab apps which do the same job.  It should be easy to highlight the section of screen which contains an article you require and copy that item to an individual note.

You're right, I suppose this is one of those many other nice-to-have feature requests on Evernote. Hopefully sometime in the future, Evernote would enable us to link annotations as well. It would save a tiny amount of time

Related to Feature Request - Annotate PDF(didn't want to create another thread):

Annotate is based on overlays I think. So that means I cannot really select text and get that annotated using highlight or strikethrough for example. I suppose this has been done keeping in mind cross-platform compatibility with touchscreen interfaces and the like.

I would like to request Evernote to add (at least for the Desktop clients) the ability to select text with the cursor and annotate (like highlight, underline, strikethrough, etc) them at one go instead of only allowing it to be done line by line like using a pen. It would be really useful in doing strikethroughs, underlining, etc which are also not available on Evernote. I know that there is a draw line option but even that would involve doing it line by line. I also know that there are third-party apps that are good at this but if this is included within Evernote's ecosystem, it would make the process a whole lot faster and simpler.

Please at least consider this for the Desktop clients.

Archived