ewm2

Idea

Whenever I try to add a tag to a note, Evernote presents me with the previously used tags. While that's helpful, what is very frustrating is the behavior if I am not selecting one of the recommended tags. For example, I want to add the tag 'SQL Conventions'. When I start typing and type a capital S, the first recommended tag has a lower case 's' and Evernote converts my upper case 'S' to a lower case 's'. Even if I keep typing and add the capital 'Q' my Evernote shows my tag as 'sQ'. I have to complete the tag, set the cursor to the 's' and then replace it with 'S'. This makes adding tags take way longer than it should take.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  What device are you using for input?  On desktops it's possible to choose from a drop-down list or create a new tag.  It is better to avoid spaces in tag names,  and that might also help avoid issues like this.

Did you actually read the description of the problem? I didn't say anything about spaces in a tag. The problem is after the first letter is type, if the the first recommended tag starts with a lower case letter the upper case letter I typed is converted to lower case against my wishes. As for input device I am using a keyboard connected to my Mac Mini

• Level 5*

Well;  at the risk of another unwanted suggestion,  tag names aren't case sensitive so it can be easier to convert all tags to lower case anyway.  ;)

If there's an existing tag with the same case-independent name my (windows) desktop version will treat SQL Conventions / sQL Conventions / SqL Conventions as the same tag - the capitalization is automatically set to the existing tag name.  So.  Either it appears you have an existing tag set up as sQL,  Mac apps handle tags differently in this area to the Windows app,  or something is going on with the keyboard to select a tag after the first letter is typed. 

If there's no existing tag,  then best recommendation is contact support.  If you're a Basic user,  make it a bug report;  if you're a subscriber they will be able to help you.  Meantime copying and pasting the tag name in the correct format from a note list of tag names,  or selecting the name from the in-app drop-down tags list will avoid mis-capitalization.  In case it helps,  Evernote's general thoughts on tagging are here - Organize with tags

Thank you. Your response is on topic. I will report it as a bug. In my case, I want to enter "SQL Conventions' as the tag. When I type 'S' the first recommended tag is 'staged orders' which is highlighted and the 'S' I typed is converted to 's'. When I type 'Q' there are no recommended tags and what's displayed is now 'sQ'. I understand that the search associated with tags isn't case sensitive but I'm old school. I type whole words and sentences when I text too. 

Taking this a step further, I understand that having tags NOT be case sensitive helps prevent duplicates. What if someone who is very visual (me!) wants to clean up her tags by fixing capitalization? When I have tried to fix tags (by adjusting the capitalization), I get a message saying the tag already exists and it stays the way it is.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, rebREorg said:

Taking this a step further, I understand that having tags NOT be case sensitive helps prevent duplicates. What if someone who is very visual (me!) wants to clean up her tags by fixing capitalization? When I have tried to fix tags (by adjusting the capitalization), I get a message saying the tag already exists and it stays the way it is.

You could try use a two step process

Change tag name     "Xxxx" to "xxxx temp"
Then change             "xxxx temp" to "xxxx"

Archived