HELP - Annotate PDF keeps crashing on deleting pages

I'm relatively new to Evernote so please excuse my mistakes if I happen to make any.

If I annotate a PDF document attached to a note in Evernote on my Mac Mini, it opens up the editor. There are a lot of pages in the PDF document that I would like to delete. I wish Evernote would give us a simple multi-page select and delete option to remove unwanted pages from the PDF. I have to manually select (right-click and then 'Delete this page' - is there a faster way?) for every single page.

On deleting more than 2 or sometimes 3 pages, Evernote crashes and asks if I want to send a crash report on reopening Evernote. I have already sent one.

At first, I thought it was because the file did not sync fully. I tried again after the file synced fully. The issue persisted.

Here are some details:

Hardware Model:      Macmini7,1
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.11.6 (15G31)
Exception Type:  SIGABRT

Evernote version: Version 6.8 (453748 Direct)

PDF file size on disk - 39.2 MB
PDF file size on Evernote - 53.2 MB

Also why does Evernote have a larger file size?

Please help. It is important that I sort this out as soon as possible.

11 hours ago, ChiragC said:

I'm relatively new to Evernote so please excuse my mistakes if I happen to make any.

If I annotate a PDF document attached to a note in Evernote on my Mac Mini, it opens up the editor. There are a lot of pages in the PDF document that I would like to delete. I wish Evernote would give us a simple multi-page select and delete option to remove unwanted pages from the PDF. I have to manually select (right-click and then 'Delete this page' - is there a faster way?) for every single page.

On deleting more than 2 or sometimes 3 pages, Evernote crashes and asks if I want to send a crash report on reopening Evernote. I have already sent one.

At first, I thought it was because the file did not sync fully. I tried again after the file synced fully. The issue persisted.

Here are some details:

Hardware Model:      Macmini7,1
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.11.6 (15G31)
Exception Type:  SIGABRT

Evernote version: Version 6.8 (453748 Direct)

PDF file size on disk - 39.2 MB
PDF file size on Evernote - 53.2 MB

Also why does Evernote have a larger file size?

Please help. It is important that I sort this out as soon as possible.

Hi @ChiragC, welcome to the Forums!

There is not a way to delete multiple pages in a PDF in annotation mode. I would submit this as a feature request in our Product Feedback forum here:

Mac Product Feedback

Regarding the application crashing while you are deleting pages in Annotation Mode, I would like to have you try recreating the note. Sometimes there may be an underlying code error in a particular note which can cause issues. First, make sure the PDF is saved to your desktop, then follow these steps:

1. Copy and paste any text or other content out of the referenced note into a new note
2. Delete the referenced note
3. Go to your 'Trash' notebook at the bottom of your notebooks list and delete the note from there so it's entirely removed from your account
4. Sync Evernote

Now re-attach the PDF to the newly created note. Does the issue persist after doing so?

Let me know how this goes, if the issue persists I will send additional steps for troubleshooting this. I look forward to your response!

• Level 5*

...just on a point of information,  uploading a large PDF and then editing it is a very inefficient way to deal with your upload allowance.  Once you edit and save the PDF it will be uploaded again,  although - if you're removing pages - maybe smaller this time.  You do effectively double the sze of the upload use for that one file though - or treble or more if you're editing a lot.  Better to use the Google Drive integration and save the file to GDrive with a link from your note.  When you're (reasonably) sure there will be no more changes,  you can attach the file directly to the note.  While you're still working on it however,  I'd save to and load it from Google Drive.

14 hours ago, BSR said:

Now re-attach the PDF to the newly created note. Does the issue persist after doing so?

Let me know how this goes, if the issue persists I will send additional steps for troubleshooting this. I look forward to your response!

@BSR, I followed all the steps listed including permanent deletion of referenced note from trash. I attached the PDF file in a new note and let the Evernote sync the file before annotating. I then clicked on Annotate (which opened the file in a separate window as it usually does) and Evernote crashed again on deleting the third page. Evernote crashes only on deleting 3 pages.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

uploading a large PDF and then editing it is a very inefficient way to deal with your upload allowance.  Once you edit and save the PDF it will be uploaded again,  although - if you're removing pages - maybe smaller this time.  You do effectively double the sze of the upload use for that one file though - or treble or more if you're editing a lot.  Better to use the Google Drive integration and save the file to GDrive with a link from your note.

@gazumped, you're right, it did not occur to me that the file would be uploaded again and again after each edit. I will make use of the Drive integration. Thank you for taking the time to point this out!

@gazumped, given that this is a Mac Help forum and that this particular thread is with regard to Annotate PDFs, until the Evernote team finds out a fix for this issue of crashing for multiple page deletions in PDF Annotate mode, I think a good and quick workaround would be using Preview in Mac. Must enable thumbnails and then select the pages to be removed and hit delete! As simple as that! No need to get another PDF editor tool in Mac at least. This was based on your idea of efficiently using Evernote's monthly upload allowance. Thanks again!

11 hours ago, ChiragC said:

@gazumped, given that this is a Mac Help forum and that this particular thread is with regard to Annotate PDFs, until the Evernote team finds out a fix for this issue of crashing for multiple page deletions in PDF Annotate mode, I think a good and quick workaround would be using Preview in Mac. Must enable thumbnails and then select the pages to be removed and hit delete! As simple as that! No need to get another PDF editor tool in Mac at least. This was based on your idea of efficiently using Evernote's monthly upload allowance. Thanks again!

Hi @ChiragC, thanks for getting back to me.

I'd like to get this moved into a support ticket. Can you go ahead and submit one using the link in my signature and let me know the ticket number here? 

6 hours ago, BSR said:

I'd like to get this moved into a support ticket. Can you go ahead and submit one using the link in my signature and let me know the ticket number here?

Hi, I'm still relatively new to Evernote and I can't seem to find your signature let alone the support ticket link anywhere. Could you tell me as to where I can find your signature?

25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Still need help? Submit a support request.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm having a hard time trying to create a support ticket as I am unable to sign in and raise a request. If I sign in, it opens up my notes and when I click on the support request link it still does not recognise that I am already signed in. I have Evernote Premium so I should be able to raise a request right?

Please see the attachment.

Temp.png

Temp1.png

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, ChiragC said:

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm having a hard time trying to create a support ticket as I am unable to sign in and raise a request. If I sign in, it opens up my notes and when I click on the support request link it still does not recognise that I am already signed in. I have Evernote Premium so I should be able to raise a request right?

Please see the attachment.

I was helping you with @BSRs signature section

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

This link might work better      Contact Evernote Support   

YES! It does work now. Even though it still does not recognise my sign in, I can now raise a request. Thank you!

It is strange that Evernote has this issue. @BSR, should I raise another support ticket regarding this?

temp.png

temp1.png

7 hours ago, BSR said:

Ticket #1779764

On 8/19/2016 at 8:39 AM, DTLow said:

I am not able to see anyone's signature. Could this be because I am a new user and have restricted settings like being unable to change my own signature for a buffer period of 10 days since joining?

On 8/18/2016 at 4:23 AM, gazumped said:

uploading a large PDF and then editing it is a very inefficient way to deal with your upload allowance

Suppose I put my sync setting of my Evernote Mac Desktop client to manually and then I add attachments to notes and annotate them by reducing/cropping file size in Evernote. If I sync after making all the necessary changes, will that count as efficient utilisation of upload allowance or does Evernote sync in some other way those notes?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ChiragC said:

Suppose I put my sync setting of my Evernote Mac Desktop client to manually and then I add attachments to notes and annotate them by reducing/cropping file size in Evernote. If I sync after making all the necessary changes, will that count as efficient utilisation of upload allowance or does Evernote sync in some other way those notes?

AFAIK if you make all the changes in one session and then sync,  only the final version will be saved;  so yes,  that would seem to give you the best upload performance.  If I were editing a big file or a long note however,  I'd be wanting to save it at regular intervals as mini backups in case the gremlins get out and I lose some/ all of my work for no good reason...  better,  I think,  to work outside of Evernote - or at least in that Google Drive integration - until you're finished editing.

5 hours ago, ChiragC said:

I am not able to see anyone's signature. Could this be because I am a new user and have restricted settings like being unable to change my own signature for a buffer period of 10 days since joining?

Hi @ChiragC, I've followed up on your ticket number and it looks like you are working with an agent on this issue. He should be following up with your response on Monday when he's back in the office. Thanks for letting me know the ticket number.

It sounds like you might need to enable signatures in your Account Settings here in the forums.

From the top right hand corner of the screen, select your Profile Name > Account Settings > Signature > View Signatures

Settings_-_Evernote_User_Forum.png

I hope that helps!

43 minutes ago, BSR said:

From the top right hand corner of the screen, select your Profile Name > Account Settings > Signature > View Signatures

On clicking signature, it leads me to this (please see attachment). There is no view signature option for me. So I suppose I need to wait for a few more days.

Screenshot_20160820-222935~2.png

@BSR, just a suggestion - since a lot of posts are made by new users to the forums, I think Evernote should set view signatures of others option to on by default; else like me, other new users would have to wait for 10 days to do that all the while assuming they know where to locate it.

Looking at all the signatures now makes me realise that a lot of new posts about where to find support, etc can be avoided or made minimal by enabling this feature. Please do consider it!

Edit - also, looks like signatures are not viewable on mobile browsers. Please consider adding that too.

Archived