Offline saving

shermozle

Idea

I've been a long-time premium user but I'm getting more and more dismayed with buggy save behaviour on the web version. I use Linux and Chromebox desktops, so I can't install.

When connections are flaky, which is often when I'm in a client meeting, I've had my notes disappear far too many times. Or I end up with 20-30 different versions of the note saved. That's just plain unacceptable. I've started taking notes in a text editor when the notes are important. That's plain unacceptable.

How about using local storage to save stuff for future syncing? And surely you can generate some kind of unique identifier for a note in the client to ensure it doesn't get saved multiple times.

Google Drive has come a long way, including its amazing document scanning features. If I get another instance of this behaviour, I'll be strongly considering a full migration to Drive.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry to sound unhelpful but 'using local storage for future syncing' is kinda the main added benefit of the installed version - which isn't available for your OS.  You might need to consider alternatives - including Google Drive if necessary.  Evernote has that new GDrive integration so you can edit and save files from your client note,  and with GDrive you're working directly on the original file,  while with Evernote (I believe) there's a short period when you're still working and before the content saves.  If there's a hiccup in service Evernote is busy trying to preserve the content of your note,  hence the multiple copies.  Using GDrive through Evernote might be an option - as would be moving a customer's files to local storage on your desktop,  editing as necessary and moving them back to Evernote after a visit.

You think it's acceptable to have the web version essentially non-function? With modern web browsers, this just isn't an acceptable thing. There are countless mechanisms to stop this happening on flaky network connections, without having to resort to native apps.

So yeah, Google Drive looking attractive at this point. Even allows offline editing in an ordinary browser.

• Level 5*

The web version is functioning (within limits) perfectly well.  It sounds like the non-functional bit is the web connection,  which is kinda out of Evernote's hands.  In normal circumstances using native apps isn't required.  You're the one having notes disappear.  I know some of my clients wouldn't think much of me if I had problems on their turf - even if I could blame faulty software or connections.  Some of my suggestions might be belt plus braces and a parachute;  but end of the day it's your choice what steps to take.

On 8/17/2016 at 8:50 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Sorry to sound unhelpful but 'using local storage for future syncing' is kinda the main added benefit of the installed version - which isn't available for your OS.  You might need to consider alternatives - including Google Drive if necessary.  Evernote has that new GDrive integration so you can edit and save files from your client note,  and with GDrive you're working directly on the original file,  while with Evernote (I believe) there's a short period when you're still working and before the content saves.  If there's a hiccup in service Evernote is busy trying to preserve the content of your note,  hence the multiple copies.  Using GDrive through Evernote might be an option - as would be moving a customer's files to local storage on your desktop,  editing as necessary and moving them back to Evernote after a visit.

@gazumped 'using local storage for future syncing' is kinda a big benefit of web applications which are built considering bad internet connections. Bad internet connections are a reality. And good products think about these cases. A good example is google drive. I can edit and access all my documents offline. The developers at evernote should google for Progressive Web Applications. 

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

The web version is functioning (within limits) perfectly well.  It sounds like the non-functional bit is the web connection,  which is kinda out of Evernote's hands.  In normal circumstances using native apps isn't required.  You're the one having notes disappear.  I know some of my clients wouldn't think much of me if I had problems on their turf - even if I could blame faulty software or connections.  Some of my suggestions might be belt plus braces and a parachute;  but end of the day it's your choice what steps to take.

@gazumped No it is not functioning perfectly well. I have had this problem and you know how it feels trying to delete 25 odd copies in the web version of evernote looking at which of these actually have the stuff that I really want. Deleting all of them when I cannot delete multiple notes at once? 

It is very much in Evernote's hands if they actually want to do it. This is technically feasible and is not rocket science. I have reported this to evernote via their twitter account but did not get anything. I have also stopped writing things directly in evernote web because it is not reliable.

@scruggles Would you like to add something to this discussion?

Archived