Feature Request: in-text commenting for Android and Windows Desktop

For the Android App (v.7.9.3) and Windows Desktop platform(v. 6.2.3), I want you to consider adding a "text commenting" feature for a wide range of text-based notes, a feature thus distinct  from the appreciated but far too cumbersome Image/PDF Annotation tool.  To my knowledge, only Mac users have anything resembling what I suggest.  Most assuredly, I appreciate  the Evernote team's effort to afford its registered users and/or paying customers similar experiences regardless of operating system. But even if or, more likely, when that happens, users who practice a conversational feedback style will still find Evernote's solution insufficient if it is based on the current annotation tool.  While I cannot propose exactly how to incorporate the tool I request, I suspect it can be designed fairly easily, such that all a user would need to do is type a quick command after highlighting a section of text or the entire text and then type his or her comment.

A relative newbie to productivity tools as such, I've steadily sung the praises of Evernote, and despite the fee increase, I intend to remain a Premium subscriber. However, there's one shortcoming that only frustrates me more as more time elapses: there is no efficient, precise, and minimally disruptive way to embed additional content in text-based notes.  Both as a graduate student and composition instructor, I have relied heavily on this basic word processing function. No doubt, I could add these thoughts, questions, comments, and  reflections in the same linear arrangement of the original text. While this would seem to foster conceptual integration and cohesion later in the writing process, such a result is unrealistic and frankly unhelpful at the note-taking and organizational/analytical modes.This apparently seamless transition between the thinking-writing mode and the meta-cognitive modes of reflection and revision serves mostly to undermine them both.  So intertwined, there's less opportunity to recognize one perspective as thinking about the other's thinking, and in turn, it's more difficult to reap the benefits of engaging that thinking in a dialogue.

Given my multi-project personal and professional uses for Evernote, I had largely abandoned other, similar applications and tools.  Now, I've found that my best recourse has been, once again, to rely on two or more writing/note-taking applications.  Still, the second or two it takes to acclimate to a new page with totally different content can be--and has been--enough to lose that extemporaneous thought connection. At both ends, there lacks a basic control in Evernote of how comments interact with the note's text; in contrast, an embedded or marginal comment readily connects to text whether with sentence- or word-level precision or with expansive, "big idea" broad strokes, as with end comments, and further, these ends are achievable typically with only one or two gestures or clicks to switch to the meta-thinking mode.

Archived