Feature Request: Show on Web Clipper icon if current URL is already in Evernote

Akei

Idea

It would be very useful to see a little number or image on the Web Clipper icon in browser, if the current URL I am visiting is already in my Evernote notes.

It has happened several times that I clip a website only to find out later that it was the second, third or fourth time I clipped the very same website into Evernote.

I hope this is useful for everybody.

Thanks!

• Like 3

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  What about clipping different selections from the same website or updated pages?  And would you want the site clipped first and then to wait while Evernote does a search of existing pages to check that this URL hasn't been seen before?  Or would you want Evernote not to clip until it's done the check?

I had a case today where,  as the result of someone mentioning a useful Search cheat sheet in another thread - https://www.cheatography.com/senseful/cheat-sheets/evernote/ - I went and grabbed it.  Turns out I already had two copies - one clipped in 2012 and one in 2014.  I kept the latest one.

Personally I'm in favor of fast clips,  with (maybe) Context to show me if I have any existing notes that relate to the item I just added.  If ever I'm in doubt I'll clip anyway;  if I ever notice (as I have a couple more times today) that a search brings up duplicate pages,  I'll delete them. 

• Like 1

Even just a marker on the Evernote web clipper icon -- say a checkmark over the elephant icon -- that reminds me "you have successfully clipped this page" that is visible when I go back to close a web page would be really useful.

• Level 5

The web clipper can confirm (if set up this way) that a clip was performed successfully.

Everybody who thinks that the web clipper checking if a page was already clipped is a brilliant idea just needs to think about what this would mean in the background: Once the web clipper is active, for each website to which a user would be surfing, a search would be needed in the background to check if it was already clipped. The surfing of millions of EN users would permanently force search upon search to run - in most cases an unnecessary activity since nobody wants to clip it - just lookin' & surfin'

My expectation is that when I call the web clipper, it is available as fast as possible. I really don't see the problem that I would permanently be clipping the same stuff over and over. It happened to me occasionally  - and then I have 2 twin notes - what a drama ...

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, jonmehlman said:

Brilliant! You not only know you've already clipped it,

But you don't know whether the content has changed,  whether you clipped only part of the page, or whether you got a bookmark / simplified / PDF version...  It's far more efficient to clip first and worry about duplications later,  and to just delete those if and when you find them.

• Level 5

To me it does not look that they really clip content, they seem to manage browser tabs / URLs, plus some more stuff like cloud files.It looks like a database collecting links, so it will always show what is the current state behind the link. That is OK for what it does, but it is not the same.

EN for a change when clipping really creates a copy of the content as it is in the moment of clipping it. When you come back later, it may well be the content has been updated. This means as @gazumped stated EN would have to compare the new content with the clipped content, not only the URL.

If it looks too easy, sometimes a second look is necessary to see the subtle differences.