Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Evernote Staff

[Edit 8/2] We've addressed a few issues and refreshed the 6.2 GA build - please try the link below, to get the latest! 

Hi everyone,

Excited to announce the general availability of version 6.2 - you can download it here

Thank you to our community of beta users for their feedback on Beta 1 & Beta 2. 

As always please keep the feedback coming, and we're looking forwards to getting the 6.3 Beta in your hands soon!

Chantal and the rest of the Evernote for Windows Team! 

Evernote for Windows 6.2 Release Notes

New:

  • Choose from new options under the Tools menu and personalize your experience!
  • Now, you can choose to see thumbnail previews of note content when viewing a list of notes. Select this from your note list view options.

Improved:

  • Any existing local Evernote files will move to your computer’s user directory by default. You can then choose a custom location for these files if you like.
  • You can display shortcuts to notes or notebooks on a separate toolbar if you like.

Fixed:

  • Miscellaneous bug fixes.
  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Level 5*

New bug in the GA 6.2.3. Everytime I try to use the tag picker a second time (I have unchecked "Close tag picker when selection is made") It won't display any tag suggestions and then Evernote crashes when I click outside the box to close it.

I checked if there was any difference when checking the box for "Close tag picker when selection is made", but it's the same scenario if I manually try to pick a second tag.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

@Chantal Leonard

This is bad.  I've tried it four times and every time I go to All Notes context and hit Shift-Alt-T for tag picker, EN crashes after I hit enter to select the tag.  Same if I select a tag from the tag selection drop down in the search area.  Does not fail if I enter tag:.... in the search bar.  Does not fail in tag drop down in search area if I enter tag:.... in the search bar first.  You should have about 10 fatal error reports from my testing in your inbox.  This makes EN kind of hard to work with....

Geez guys.  Have reverted to the 6.2.2 Beta, which is a PITA since you have to reset options.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Strange; I'm not seeing any crash problem with the tag picker.I must be doing something different. I've tried with the "Close tag picker..." both checked and unchecked.

On the other hand, I do see some strange behavior with the task picker, or at least behavior that I can't explain. There are some cases where I choose a tag, and all of a sudden, a skzillion (big number) of tags are added to my search (in the search info panel), the search type turns into an "Any" search, and the tag list in the tag picker, rather than shrinking, grows by quite a lot of tags. I believe, but haven't wholly verified yet, that this is related to having tags with the same name existing in both the current account and in notebooks shared to that account; for example, I have a "3D" tag in my work account and in the account that shares notebooks with my work account. Pick one of these in the tag picker (and maybe elsewhere), and things start to go awry.

The Windows Evernote client's handling of the multiple identical tags has never seemed quite fully baked, and it's been occasionally spooky (if it's the cause of my bug, then that counts as spooky too). I'd just prefer that they be collapsed into one single tag for purposes of the UI; I don't need to distinguish between multiple tag instances when searching.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

@jefito

Yeah, don't know what to tell you there, but it would appear both @gustavgi have tag selecting issues.  I clicked All Notes, hit Shift-Alt-T, typed in enough to get a short tag list, selected a tag and EN crashed.  Every time, no matter the tag selected.  What in the data could cause such a thing?  (rhetorical question)

Link to post
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, csihilling said:

This is bad.  I've tried it four times and every time I go to All Notes context and hit Shift-Alt-T for tag picker, EN crashes after I hit enter to select the tag.  Same if I select a tag from the tag selection drop down in the search area.

I can't reproduce this one either ... sorry.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
45 minutes ago, csihilling said:

@jefito

Yeah, don't know what to tell you there, but it would appear both @gustavgi have tag selecting issues.  I clicked All Notes, hit Shift-Alt-T, typed in enough to get a short tag list, selected a tag and EN crashed.  Every time, no matter the tag selected.  What in the data could cause such a thing?  (rhetorical question)

Not disputing your experience -- in fact I applaud that you both are actively reporting things -- it seems like it should be easy to reproduce, but I can't seem to with those exact steps, so something must be different. It's hard to tell what external settings/data/phase-of-the-moon configurations might affect this, from outside the code, though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5
32 minutes ago, jefito said:

Not disputing your experience -- in fact I applaud that you both are actively reporting things -- it seems like it should be easy to reproduce, but I can't seem to with those exact steps, so something must be different. It's hard to tell what external settings/data/phase-of-the-moon configurations might affect this, from outside the code, though.

So far we could not repro it in-house, still trying.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

So far we could not repro it in-house, still trying.

In my case I first have to pick a tag. On the second pick, there have to be enough tags left so that there is a delay in displaying the number of tags to pick from. Here it seems like what was usually a ~2 second delay for me in 6.2.2 when there are plenty of tags left, is now 8-9 seconds before the suggestions show up. And if I during the time it says "Not found" among the results, click outside the box, EN crashes.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I wonder if the number of tags could be a connection ..?

According to my iPhone I have 397 tags.  29,919 notes on my Windows PC, Windows 10 if it makes any difference.  

26 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

In my case I first have to pick a tag. On the second pick, there have to be enough tags left so that there is a delay in displaying the number of tags to pick from. Here it seems like what was usually a ~2 second delay for me in 6.2.2 when there are plenty of tags left, is now 8-9 seconds before the suggestions show up. And if I during the time it says "Not found" among the results, click outside the box, EN crashes.

Always the first pick for me, tag picker or tag drop down in search, enter or click.  Back on 6.2.2.3164 Beta and no issues, other than the one relative to not being able to delete tag from a search description (also not reproducible by @kvitekp).  

Same data different result???  I haven't done a rebuild since last year some time.  Could try that but seems like throwing darts....

Link to post
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I did a rebuild/clean new sync after installing W10 anniversary update last week, so that shouldn't be a problem for me at least.

Thanks for letting me know that.  I will save myself that pain for a bit.

Link to post
  • Level 5
49 minutes ago, PqHost Internet Services said:

Enscript.Exe does not work!! I use this script constantly to search, jump to notebooks, create notebooks, etc

Can you provide details (the complete command you're trying to run and error message, if any)?

Link to post

The same problem here with ENScript.exe not working. In my case, the initial setup steps that I followed, are outlined in Make Evernote More Approachable with Custom Windows 7 Integration note that I clipped from the web. Some of the commands that I used are:

  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q  "notebook:"MS_Office_Tips" intitle:Excel"
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q  "tag:audible-done-listening-to"
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q "stack:""Codecademy Web Fundamentals Track"" Bootstrap -intitle:rounded -intitle:Guide
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q "notebook:""Evernote Local"" intitle:Taking note

Upon completing steps in a note, I pinned shortcuts I created to the taskbar. Before the upgrade, when I clicked on any shortcut, it will bring up a small quick DOS box, and then executes a particular search in Evernote. Now, when I click on the shortcut it still brings up a DOS box but does not execute a search. Before you say anything, while a procedure outlined in a note applies to Windows 7, I had no problems making it work with Windows 8.1 and later Windows 10. I did not use AutoHotkey. Just created shortcuts.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, keisoko said:

The same problem here with ENScript.exe not working. In my case, the initial setup steps that I followed, are outlined in Make Evernote More Approachable with Custom Windows 7 Integration note that I clipped from the web. Some of the commands that I used are:

  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q  "notebook:"MS_Office_Tips" intitle:Excel"
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q  "tag:audible-done-listening-to"
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q "stack:""Codecademy Web Fundamentals Track"" Bootstrap -intitle:rounded -intitle:Guide
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q "notebook:""Evernote Local"" intitle:Taking note

Upon completing steps in a note, I pinned shortcuts I created to the taskbar. Before the upgrade, when I clicked on any shortcut, it will bring up a small quick DOS box, and then executes a particular search in Evernote. Now, when I click on the shortcut it still brings up a DOS box but does not execute a search. Before you say anything, while a procedure outlined in a note applies to Windows 7, I had no problems making it work with Windows 8.1 and later Windows 10. I did not use AutoHotkey. Just created shortcuts.

What happens when you open a command window and run ENScript from there? What output do you get? Is ENScript.exe still in the same location as the one your scripts are using?

Link to post

No ENSCRIPT command works. for example

 

c:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe createNotebook /n"a notebook title"

c:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe  showNotes /q reminderOrder:*

Try those and see that it doesn't process anything at all, and there's no error. i installed it on 2 computers and they both didn't work. I downgraded yesterday to a V 6.1 and now it works. This new version broke ENscript somehow

 

Link to post

When trying to run from a command prompt I get the following error: Can't open database "C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\keisoko.exb", error: FILE_NOT_FOUND.

Apparently,  instead of pointing to C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Databases it points to an empty location. Somebody forgot to change a link. And I did not change the location of the database, in case you are wondering. 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PqHost Internet Services said:

Nothing happens from the command window at all. That's why I wrote in the trouble with ENSCRIPT. I downgraded to a 6.1 version and ENSCRIPT works just fine there. The new version broke ENSCRIPT, simple as that.

I asked because the command windows opened by shortcuts don't generally stick around, so you might not see any console output that might be helpful. 

As it is, I tested this just a little bit ago - before I upgraded from the latest beta: I did a showNotes query command and a createNoteBook command, and they both worked. And they also worked after I updated to the GA release. I also made some shortcuts of my above commands, and they also worked with the GA release,

So I'm at a loss as to why it works for me and not for you... hopefully one of the Evernote folks can pick this up and figure it out.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, keisoko said:

When trying to run from a command prompt I get the following error: Can't open database "C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\keisoko.exb", error: FILE_NOT_FOUND.

Apparently,  instead of pointing to C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Databases it points to an empty location. Somebody forgot to change a link. And I did not change the location of the database, in case you are wondering. 

The new version should move the Evernote database from something like C:\Users\<user>\Appdata... to C:\Users\<user>\Evernote, so long as it hadn't already been moved by the user to a new location (in my case, an SSD that's not my C: drive). It's possible that that didn't happen correctly when you updated (i.e. a bug).

You should try to locate the place where your data actually is and point to it using Tools / Options / General / Evernote local files : Change... Backups should be in order, for safety's sake,

 

Link to post
24 minutes ago, jefito said:

The new version should move the Evernote database from something like C:\Users\<user>\Appdata... to C:\Users\<user>\Evernote, so long as it hadn't already been moved by the user to a new location (in my case, an SSD that's not my C: drive). It's possible that that didn't happen correctly when you updated (i.e. a bug).

You should try to locate the place where your data actually is and point to it using Tools / Options / General / Evernote local files : Change... Backups should be in order, for safety's sake,

 

 

evernote database location.png

As you can see that where local files are located. So, the database will be located at C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Databases. ENScript.exe is thinking that the database is located at C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Evernote\Databases. It's an empty location. And as I said before, I did not manually move files, it was done by Evernote itself.

 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, keisoko said:

As you can see that where local files are located. So, the database will be located at C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Databases. ENScript.exe is thinking that the database is located at C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Evernote\Databases. It's an empty location. And as I said before, I did not manually move files, it was done by Evernote itself.

So you're saying that Evernote knows where your database is, but that ENScript doesn't? That sure doesn't sound right -- I was under the impression that ENScript.exe had some secret connection to Evernote.exe, which respondsto cerain commands (e.g. "showNotes), and also implements other commands (e.g. createNote). So if Evernote.exe knows where the database is, I'd expect ENScript to know as well. I do know that the path to the Evernote files is kept in the registry, which should be common to both programs as well.

Ok, so this is probably beyond my pay grade to figure out. I'm sure that an Evernote dev like Peter will be very interested in solving this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
On 8/10/2016 at 4:37 PM, csihilling said:

According to my iPhone I have 397 tags.  29,919 notes on my Windows PC, Windows 10 if it makes any difference.  

Always the first pick for me, tag picker or tag drop down in search, enter or click.  Back on 6.2.2.3164 Beta and no issues, other than the one relative to not being able to delete tag from a search description (also not reproducible by @kvitekp).  

Same data different result???  I haven't done a rebuild since last year some time.  Could try that but seems like throwing darts....

Just installed 6.2.3 on my backup laptop, same issue.  Select a tag and through tag picker and EN crashes.  Synced notebooks only on this machine.

Link to post

Using the Doxie "send to" command no longer works.  It thinks it sent it, marks it as being sent, and opens EN, but nothing in imported. Anyone else see this?  I recreated the send to action in Doxie, but that didn't make a difference. 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, PqHost Internet Services said:

Thanks Jefito. I know the new upgrade did move the database somewhere else. I'm wondering how to make ENSCript know where to find the new database?!!

If I knew, I'd tell you. Maybe I can dig a bit, we'll see,,,

Link to post

The problem with ENScript.exe not working was solved by creating the symbolic link to C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Databases in C:\Users\<User>\Evernote\Evernote. The command, which has to be run as Administrator, is:

 mklink /J C:\Users\Admin\Evernote\Evernote\Databases C:\Users\Admin\Evernote\Databases

If executed successfully, you will get the following message.

Junction created for C:\Users\Admin\Evernote\Evernote\Databases <<===>> C:\Users\Admin\Evernote\Databases

The procedure is described in this note Complete Guide to Symbolic Links (symlinks) on Windows or Linux. The links to necessary files are at the bottom of the note.  

 

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Well that is bizarre. I guess it's a solution, but I have no idea why ENScript would think that the database location was in a different place than Evernote itself does. There's one registry key that points to the Evernote data's root folder; I assume that's where Evernote.exe gets the database location from; it just makes no sense to think that ENScript.exe would get it from anywhere different (if it even gets it in the first place, it could be that it's communicating directly with Evernote.exe, in fact it has to be since it can cause Evernote to do searches on its behalf). This is very puzzling to me.

Link to post

I been using the new version for a couple of days now and I only found some minor visual issues (beside the old ones). I tried but couldn't reproduce any problem with tag picker.

Also I found that the following bugs were fixed:

  • Thumbnail View: When scrolling, the thumbnails keep rearranging themselves and its a little annoying. It seems like it's trying to align the notes to the top of the panel. Link.
  • The zoom slider won't update most of the times that columns or zoom buttons are clicked (But sometimes it works). Link.
  • Thumbnail View. When a Note is created it seems like a new empty thumbnail is added UNDER the first one being shown. Link.

New bugs:

- Thumbnail View: Some notes have an unnecessary long title space:

Image.jpg

-Thumbnail View: Some Thumbnails are longer thant the "selected mark".

Image.jpg

- Thumbnails View: When reaching bottom of the list, some thumbnails won't show completed.Image.jpg

- Thumbnail View: Scroll bar show unnecessarily.

Image.jpg

- When draggin the scroll bar and reaching top/bottom and continue dragging, moving away the mouse from the scroll bar, it will eventually pop the scroll to the original position.

Some bugs still present (bold ones supposedly will be fixed or reviewed for future releases):

  • The Start Menu Shortcut of the app still disappears after update (the taskbar pinned shortcut works OK). Link.
  • The Side List Note View width is defaulted every time the View style is changed (other views width work fine). Link.
  • Copy, paste and move of anything in a note is a pretty slow action since the last couple of updates. Link.
  • With card view open and with scroll, if you change the notes panel width so to make the scroll disappear then bar will still be visible; when you reduce again the width so scroll will be needed again the scroll bar now disappear. Link.
  • Adding two checkboxes with [ ] shortcut moves the text caret to a new line. Link.
  • I can only left click audio attachments if I click them in the border, but the right click works in the whole body of the attachment. Link.
Link to post
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, csihilling said:

Just installed 6.2.3 on my backup laptop, same issue.  Select a tag and through tag picker and EN crashes.  Synced notebooks only on this machine.

The just released 6.2.4.3244 release fixes the crashes when selecting a tag with picker or the search tag drop down.  Thanks. 

 

Link to post
  • Level 5*

A couple of thank yous. 

  1. There seems to be highlighting in the note list and shortcuts in the toolbar areas that makes it easier to find/identify notes that I just noticed.  This happen with this release or did I just miss it?
  2. For sure the thumbnail view is stable now.  It used to bounce all over the place when scrolled.  Nice,.
Link to post

So, a little background. In Evernote, I have a stack called Technology Tips which among others contains MS_Office_Tips and Windows 10 Tips notebooks. I use them to clip articles from the web (TechRepublic, some other sites) that contain tips on a usage of various MS-Office applications and Windows 10 OS. The articles from TechRepublic have at the bottom or inside the articles, a number of links that point to different articles on the site. Upon clipping the particular article, I always check to see if I already have this article clipped in one of the relative notebooks. If I do, I then adjust a link, so it points to the note instead of the web. But this is where I run into problems. 

Prior to  version 5.9.0.8665 (276665) Public, all I had to do is right click on the relative note, hold Ctrl key and chose "Copy Note Link". I then go back to the note I wanted to change the link in, right-click on the link I wanted to change, choose "Edit" and then by pressing "Ctrl-V" it will overwrite web URL with a note link in the resulting window and then press Enter.  Upon clicking on the note link to see it works and then going back to the originated note, I could see that a link is still there. Agan, it is all I had to prior to version 5.9.0.8665 (276665) Public. Starting with above version it was no longer a case. After going through all the steps mentioned above, and going back to the note with the changed link, I discovered that after-mentioned link had disappeared.  All that remains is the link title, that is it. 

Here is the URL to the file that illustrates my problem, since a file is too large to upload directly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bQEgnH_hGIRG8wU3NJcDBpbEk/view?usp=sharing

Upon going back and forth with customer support, I was informed that they were able to duplicate a problem, that it might something to do with the editor, maybe, but without any resolution. However, on the day I was informed of the ticket closer I discovered a workaround. If I go through all the above steps, but when going back to the note with the link to be changed, instead of choosing "Edit", I simply select a link and then use Ctrl-V to overwrite a link directly. By using this method, when I click on the changed link  the link stays. So for almost a year, I was using this workaround to change web URLs into the note links while missing the old way. Of course not everything is this simple. When using this method, I also have to adjust link font and size, and also spaces around a link if it happens to be in the middle of the note. So, what before took 3 clicks, now takes 5 or 6. It may not be such a big problem if the links are by themselves. But what if the article I am clipping is a part of the series. What if  the thing that I need to adjust is contained in two or three words. Then I also have to worry about a note context.     

And this brings me to the present.

With each new Evernote version, I always check to see if the old method of doing things was back. It was not. Until 6.2.3. Hold and behold: the old method was back and note links actually stay again. I finally thought that my Evernote life is going to be easy again. Unfortunately, my elation did not last long. With the release of version 6.2.4 to fix the tag and ENScript bugs, the note links started disappearing again. I had to revert  to start using workaround again. And this brings me to the meat of this post: I hope that Evernote can give the "disappearing links" another look and tell me one way or another if a problem can be fixed. Or if I am stuck with my workaround. Thanks.

P.S. If you are curious if I tried to convert link title to a note link by using Ctrl-K, the answer is: it does not work. Link disappears upon clicking.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Weirdness: I am tagging some notes that are in an online notebook, with the intention of filing them in a local notebook, as is my standard practice. I am having a problem with pdf images of the previous note appearing at the top of every note in the database. Restarting Evernote clears it. If I right click on the image, show as an attachment has no effect. Opening the note in a separate window is fine, but closing it again means that the note panel shows the previously viewed pdf at the top. I will try repairing the database and report back what happens. Any other suggestions?

Link to post
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, FactMan said:

Weirdness: I am tagging some notes that are in an online notebook, with the intention of filing them in a local notebook, as is my standard practice. I am having a problem with pdf images of the previous note appearing at the top of every note in the database. Restarting Evernote clears it. If I right click on the image, show as an attachment has no effect. Opening the note in a separate window is fine, but closing it again means that the note panel shows the previously viewed pdf at the top. I will try repairing the database and report back what happens. Any other suggestions?

If the problem is reproducible and you're willing to run some diagnostics (it may require a little bit of back and forth with us), it would help us to track this down. If you're interested, please send me a PM.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

After rebuilding the database it seems to have fixed the problem - for now. I had to restart Evernote after completing the rebuild... but thanks for your offer. It's not reproducible at the moment, but I will follow-up if it is a problem again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*

Don't think this happened in previous releases, correct me if I am wrong.  When in All Notes context Side List view I cannot drag the scroll bar to the top nor the bottom of the note list.  Drag and drop and the list moves up/down, but not all the way there, seems to be making it a percentage at a time.  Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End work in stead.

Is this a new behavior?

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Not sure if this is only me or a bug.  I thought I use to be able to manually reorder reminders but no longer can.  In snippet view I get the move indicator when I attempt to reorder but when I drop it into the new location it just stays where it was.  I do this very seldom so not sure if this is new in this version or not.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Not sure if this is only me or a bug.  I thought I use to be able to manually reorder reminders but no longer can.  In snippet view I get the move indicator when I attempt to reorder but when I drop it into the new location it just stays where it was.  I do this very seldom so not sure if this is new in this version or not.

If you have reminders sorted by date, then they don't seem to want to move. If you uncheck that option, then they'll move. I don't know whether that's a change in behavior, but it seems to make sense.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Confirming, if it is a dated reminder and you have sort reminders by date checked I don't think the move will stick.  Otherwise it is working for me.

Edited by csihilling
Didn't see the @jefito post
Link to post
  • Level 5*

Ahh ... I remember now, yes, that's it, thanks.  That is not the first time that I've forgotten this one... 

It would be nice if either EN doesn't give the appearance of allowing a reorder if you have sorted by date checked, or even better, if EN could allow a reminder reorder even if a sort by date is checked. 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Don't think this happened in previous releases, correct me if I am wrong.  When in All Notes context Side List view I cannot drag the scroll bar to the top nor the bottom of the note list.  Drag and drop and the list moves up/down, but not all the way there, seems to be making it a percentage at a time.  Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End work in stead.

Is this a new behavior?

Yeah, this is the bug I mentioned on page 1. Could be related to that two finger scroll now works on touchpads.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Yeah, this is the bug I mentioned on page 1. Could be related to that two finger scroll now works on touchpads.

Missed it, oops.  Consider it a confirm post.  ;)

Link to post
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, TMidea said:

Just downloaded and installed 6.2.4.3244 - Crashes on thumbnail view

Could not find any thumbnail related crashes in the database. Would it be possible to submit *.txt files in your <Evernote Path>/Crashes folder for inspection? Please PM me if you have them.

Thank you!

Link to post
  • Level 5
47 minutes ago, TMidea said:

I  wil send them - but i should clarify - the program freezes and becomes unresponsive... That might be technically different than a "crash"

Please open the database folder (Tools/Options/General/Open database folder...) and delete file with the name <your_account_name>.exb.thumbnails and let us know if this helps.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

I love the concept of the thumbnail view. I really do. And I'm no longer having the problem with the notes rearranging in the list, so that's nice.

But Evernote for Windows has a serious contrast issue.

I like white. I like clean design. But if you're going to pare down color, you have to amp up some other way of information hierarchy. I am really, REALLY struggling with Evernote for Windows. The titles in any note list view that involves images are too small. My note text is larger than the title in the note list. In the Thumbnail view, I completely just cannot see the titles. There's no way to read them while scrolling - they're just too small. Same with Snippet view. 

The Mac client nails this. Big, bold title text in the note list. SO EASY TO SCROLL QUICKLY. But Windows? Nope. It's really difficult. Things just blend in too easily. It makes using the client a bit of a sludge. I actually played around with using OneNote at work (my Windows PC) to get around this. AND ONENOTE STINKS. I'm that desperate.

Please. Please. Give us bigger contrast. Preferably in text size/weight. But also some color would be nice. Maybe a light grey background for the title area in Thumbnail view. IDK. Just something.

Help.

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip.png

Link to post

Bonjour tout le monde,

Just downloaded and installed 6.2.4.3244. It looks fine with my EN desktop but my Outlook Clipper doesn't work anymore.

I have a message with the Clipper's window  "erreur interne" and the the folders list is blank.

My system :  Windows 7 & Outlook Office 2010

Is there a way to fix that ?

Thank you in advance.

Daniel

 

 

 

enclipper_2016-08-16.txt

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Deleting notes per this post still leaves the note open. I just added text to such a note and of course that text isn't saved, so not only is it a nuisance by not closing the deleted note, it can result in data loss.

I would say that notes in the trash should be un-editable, but they really should just be closed when deleted.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

There is a problem in the Tag view. I have a Surface Pro 4 so am using that touchpad. In Tag View, using the two-fingered scroll, scrolling UP moves the tags to the left, and scrolling DOWN moves them to the right. Scrolling RIGHT or LEFT does nothing.

And there are massive gaps in the columns. It is like every third column is white space. This becomes a problem when trying to drag tags across multiple columns to put them where you want. The tag list jerks around when it gets to these gaps causing you to overshoot your goal often.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

There is a problem in the Tag view. I have a Surface Pro 4 so am using that touchpad. In Tag View, using the two-fingered scroll, scrolling UP moves the tags to the left, and scrolling DOWN moves them to the right. Scrolling RIGHT or LEFT does nothing.

And there are massive gaps in the columns. It is like every third column is white space. This becomes a problem when trying to drag tags across multiple columns to put them where you want. The tag list jerks around when it gets to these gaps causing you to overshoot your goal often.

Well scrolling on the touchpad just simulates a mouse wheel, and the scrolling in tag view is customized so that you can scroll up and down on a mouse wheel to scroll sideways. What EN has to do is add x axis mouse wheel support to tag view.

Regarding the gaps I agree that there is too much space between the colums, but not by much. I would hate for it to look cluttered like in v5. Either way, I think that the by far best way to move tags is to drag them from the tag view into the correct place in the left panel. So instead of scrolling the tag view during drag-and-drop, you scroll the left panel prior to dragging the tag. 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Regarding the gaps I agree that there is too much space between the colums, but not by much.

You and I have a very different concept of "not by much." The second screen shot in that link has more white space than tag columns. I have the Premium plan though. Maybe that buys me more space.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Is anyone having an issue with annotating an image, saving and closing it, then going back in and all of the annotations are smaller and out of place compared to the original image?

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, so if someone's said it already, apologies!

BUG: I can only drag PDFs out of Evernote once. I scan PDFs into Evernote for storage, and then drag them (using the hamburger icon) to Trello cards. I can drag once to a Trello card, but when I grab the three lines icon again, it cannot drag. Clicking to another note and then clicking back makes it draggable again - once. Rinse and repeat.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

This is an extremely minor irritant but what the heck, here goes:

In the Reminder date picker you can click on "Tomorrow" and the window closes or you can click on "In a Week" and the window closes, but if you actually click on a date in the calendar the window stays open and you have to hit enter for the window to close, or click somewhere else.  I'm not sure why the window is kept open but it would be nice if it just closed when a date is selected.

It has always been like this for as long as I can remember, but just felt like complaining about it today :)

Link to post
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, chirmer said:

BUG: I can only drag PDFs out of Evernote once. I scan PDFs into Evernote for storage, and then drag them (using the hamburger icon) to Trello cards. I can drag once to a Trello card, but when I grab the three lines icon again, it cannot drag. Clicking to another note and then clicking back makes it draggable again - once. Rinse and repeat.

Thank you for mentioning that, we're looking into it.

Link to post

Another issue:

Installed 6.2.4.3244

Windows 10, lenovo Y50 touch (touch screen disabled)

 Problem in "All Notes" with scrolling using the button--list springs back--you cannot scroll to an arbitrary location.  Also happens for downward scroll part way down (i.e. you don't have to attempt to scroll to the end to see this behavior.

Note that so far, I can only repo this in All Notes, but of course that is the longest list of notes I have.  So it may be a long list problem, or it may be isolated to All Notes.

See the image.

20160820 Evernote 6.2.4 scroll problem.jpg

Link to post
  • Level 5*
On 8/14/2016 at 0:16 PM, jefito said:

If you have reminders sorted by date, then they don't seem to want to move. If you uncheck that option, then they'll move. I don't know whether that's a change in behavior, but it seems to make sense.

Reminders worked this same way in previous versions.  Like you say, it makes sense as the proper behavior.

Link to post

Chantal tagged onto a message I posted in another forum/thread and this thread doesn't appear to address the major problem I encountered when the new version installed. I lost drastic number of files and latest changes which weren't synced yet (previous updates never caused any problems since the files were saved on the hard drive). Here, when the files were copied over to a new directory, some were left behind and then the files were automatically synced without my say-so. Instead of syncing the changes from the most current files in my hard drive, it looks like the files were synced to whatever was on my online account (web). No, that's not what I wanted.

But I have an idea of resolution in deleting the newest ".exb" file in the database in the new directory and copying the previous file. Is that going to cause more scrambled mess?

I wish there was more notification before the installation was initiated. I thought it was a routine update and certainly not with moving files around and syncing my files from the web to my hard drive. This is terrible.

 

Link to post

I think I have this figured out. I'm going to manually delete the newer version of Evernote and see if I can run the previous version with the Evernote_5.8.5.7193.exe installation package. But I won't do anything for awhile - and certainly not working with the newest Evernote version.

Thank goodness the installation couldn't delete the older files.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

BUG (I'm assuming): Multi-selecting tags doesn't apply across all selected tags, just the one that happens to have been right-clicked for the options menu. 

Example: Select multiple tags, then right-click and click "Add to Shortcuts." Only the right-clicked tag is added to the Shortcuts, versus all selected tags. Do the same thing but click Style. Only styles the one tag right-clicked. If this is desired behavior, the UI is misleading. But I really hope it's not intended behavior as doing tagging edits one at a time is very tedious.

4a65733e9cd5fc41a2e85a564a887260.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5*

Also, this is just personal preference - but I greatly dislike how selecting a tag from one's Shortcuts navigates the Tag sidebar to the selected tag. I put my tags in the Shortcuts so I can quickly go from one to the next - having to scroll all the way back up to click the next one negates the Shortcuts menu completely. I have my many tags nested multiple levels deep and predominantly navigate via shortcuts or search. I don't want those menus constantly opening so that I have to minimize them every time I visit a different tag. Especially ones accessed from my Shortcuts. The view, IMHO, should stay on the Shortcuts menu and not mess with the Tags menu at all.

Screenshot 2016-08-22 10.16.08.png

Screenshot 2016-08-22 10.16.15.png

Link to post
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, chirmer said:

Also, this is just personal preference - but I greatly dislike how selecting a tag from one's Shortcuts navigates the Tag sidebar to the selected tag

Not sure this will work, but there is an option under navigation for Scroll left panel into view....  Might try unchecking it if it is checked.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not sure this will work, but there is an option under navigation for Scroll left panel into view....  Might try unchecking it if it is checked.  

YOU ARE MY HERO. Thank you - that fixed it! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Level 5*
On 8/10/2016 at 11:38 AM, jefito said:

On the other hand, I do see some strange behavior with the tag picker, or at least behavior that I can't explain. There are some cases where I choose a tag, and all of a sudden, a skzillion (big number) of tags are added to my search (in the search info panel), the search type turns into an "Any" search, and the tag list in the tag picker, rather than shrinking, grows by quite a lot of tags. I believe, but haven't wholly verified yet, that this is related to having tags with the same name existing in both the current account and in notebooks shared to that account; for example, I have a "3D" tag in my work account and in the account that shares notebooks with my work account. Pick one of these in the tag picker (and maybe elsewhere), and things start to go awry.

OK, I figured this one out. It's caused by the new setting "Automatically select child tags": if that's enabled, then if you select a tag that has children, that tag and all of its children get added to the current filter, and the filter is turned into an "Any" filter. Since parent tags aren't specially marked and the tag picker is presented as a flat list, this may be a surprising result -- it sure was for me, particularly since I don't recall enabling the "Automatically select child tags" setting, so wasn't able to make the connection. Only when I tried to figure out what the setting actually (did by reading the hover text associated with the control on the Options dialog) did I get the memo. I'd highlight this as something that's potentially confusing to users.

Link to post

Bug? 6.2.4, Win 10: I delete some notes but they stays in the note preview (with little upload arrows). If I change the the view (per example: jumping in a notebook) and go back - they are out of view (and - how expected - only to see in the trash) ...

Link to post
On 8/10/2016 at 4:18 PM, gustavgi said:

I also seem to have an issue scrolling to the top and to the bottom of Top list & Side list (in All notes at least), by dragging the scroll block to the top or bottom. It jumps back.

This happens for me only in All Notes list.  Side list is OK.  I think it may be a problem only for lists longer than some number of items.  Sorry I missed this earlier; one of my later posts is the same bug.  I don't see any EN response yet.

Link to post
On 8/20/2016 at 0:22 PM, eafpres said:

Hi.  Installed 6.2.4.3244

Windows 10, lenovo Y50 touch (touch screen disabled)

There is a new and odd hover/pop out of long note titles.  See image.

 

I am noticing some other annoyances in the notes list.  For example scrolling and hovering in a list somewhat randomly, you get multiple notes with bolding (highlighting) at the same time.  Not clear for what this feature might be useful.

 

 

Link to post
  • Level 5*

I really like the new options dialog. Thanks for that..

I did notice a a bit of glitchiness though on tabs that require scrolling (the Note tab is the main offender): when using the scroll bar, the scrolling isn't very smooth -- the controls kinda skid up or down, then refresh -- and occasionally I've seen some artifacts left behind, mainly under the Note font typeface and size drop-downs; little black pixels just under the control bottoms. This isn't anything that affects usability, so far as I can tell; the controls all wind up in the right place, but it just looks funky. Windows Server 2008 R2, if that makes any difference.

Link to post
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, jefito said:

I really like the new options dialog. Thanks for that..

I did notice a a bit of glitchiness though on tabs that require scrolling (the Note tab is the main offender): when using the scroll bar, the scrolling isn't very smooth -- the controls kinda skid up or down, then refresh -- and occasionally I've seen some artifacts left behind, mainly under the Note font typeface and size drop-downs; little black pixels just under the control bottoms. This isn't anything that affects usability, so far as I can tell; the controls all wind up in the right place, but it just looks funky. Windows Server 2008 R2, if that makes any difference.

Yeah, Ctrl-Home became my friend again, can't drag to the top fop of the list anymore.

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Just noticed what appears to be a new behavior: when picking up some text from a web page, if the text contains a web link, then that gets carried along if you paste the text into a note, and applied to the text. I don't recall that working that way before; One of my Evernote workflows is picking up the bug title from a bug in Bugzilla (part of which is a web link), and pasting it into an note (either a list or a note template that I use for bugs); I would always need to go back and pick up the Bugzilla link and edit the pasted title, a little annoying. This change is a nice timesaver for me.

Thanks for that!

Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

I am noticing some other annoyances in the notes list.  For example scrolling and hovering in a list somewhat randomly, you get multiple notes with bolding (highlighting) at the same time.  Not clear for what this feature might be useful.

 

 

And something similar, sometimes out of nowhere I will get a 2 or 3 note selection in the note panel.  Haven't been able to determine what is triggering this.  But this happened in prior releases as well.

Link to post
  • emerick changed the title to Evernote+for+Windows+6.2+GA
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:49 AM, csihilling said:

And something similar, sometimes out of nowhere I will get a 2 or 3 note selection in the note panel.  Haven't been able to determine what is triggering this.  But this happened in prior releases as well.

Yes, the auto-random multi-select shows up from time to time for several releases.  Hard to repro,

Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...