Why does CTRL + A cause scrolling to top of note?

Whenever I'm in a note that takes up more than one screen (i.e. there's a scroll bar on the side) and I press CTRL+A to select everything, it suddenly scrolls up to the top, no matter where my cursor actually was.

Is this supposed to happen? If so, why? It does not happen in Google Docs or Libre Office.

After selecting everything, the window has scrolled to the top however, if I press the right arrow key, I see that the cursor was where I left it. I'm not sure I understand the problem, however. Once you select all, the next action is usually a copy, cut or delete action. Why would it matter where the cursor or window is? What exactly are you trying to do?

• Level 5*

Funny, I just tested on a note of images and the screen scrolled to the bottom, on a clipped web page it scrolled to the top, text it scrolled to the top.  I'm guessing this is a feature (other than the images note).  ;)

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you press Ctrl+A to select all,  all I see is a blue highlight over the whole text - there's no cursor.  What would you expect to see?

Huh?

Should I make another video so you can see what I actually meant? I don't think you understand now.

All I expect is for Evernote to NOT scroll up to the top of the note when I press CTRL+A. I have no idea why it does this.

Evernote should just stay in the same place, like every other word processor.

6 hours ago, dbvirago said:

After selecting everything, the window has scrolled to the top however, if I press the right arrow key, I see that the cursor was where I left it. I'm not sure I understand the problem, however. Once you select all, the next action is usually a copy, cut or delete action. Why would it matter where the cursor or window is? What exactly are you trying to do?

The cursor was inside of a table. I wanted to select the entire table with CTRL+A, but that did not work. It just selected the entire note and then scrolled me way up to the top.

4 hours ago, csihilling said:

Funny, I just tested on a note of images and the screen scrolled to the bottom, on a clipped web page it scrolled to the top, text it scrolled to the top.  I'm guessing this is a feature (other than the images note).  ;)

Hmm. You think it might be on purpose? What would that purpose be?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Hmm. You think it might be on purpose? What would that purpose be?

You have me there, a question of the designer I would say.  Being somewhat facetious relative to it having purpose, particularly since Ctrl-A performs differently for some notes containing images.  

• Level 5*

The reason for my confusion - I understood that Ctrl-A was select everything in a note and certainly with me it does that just fine,  enabling me to delete or copy the whole content of the note somewheres else.  In that context the cursor and note position is superfluous - I'm going to delete,  or hit Ctrl-C,  head elsewhere and Ctrl-V.  Or something.

• Level 5*
On 8/8/2016 at 8:30 PM, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Whenever I'm in a note that takes up more than one screen (i.e. there's a scroll bar on the side) and I press CTRL+A to select everything, it suddenly scrolls up to the top, no matter where my cursor actually was.

Is this supposed to happen?

Probably not.  My typical action after a CTRL+A is a CTRL+C and then over to another application for a paste so I would never have seen this one and it doesn't bother me, but if you feel strongly about it, open a bug report.

• Level 5
23 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

.... All I expect is for Evernote to NOT scroll up to the top of the note when I press CTRL+A. I have no idea why it does this.

Evernote should just stay in the same place, like every other word processor.

I just opened a 13-page document in Word 2010, and tried placing the cursor at several different random points in the midst of it, then hitting Ctrl+A, selecting the entire document. The only way I could tell where the cursor was was to use the arrow keys (since if I actually typed anything, it would replace the selected text). I found that if I pressed the Right or the Down arrow key, the cursor was placed at the end of the document. If I pressed the Left or the Up key, it was placed at the top of the document. This is exactly the same behavior as what I have found in Evernote.

5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just opened a 13-page document in Word 2010, and tried placing the cursor at several different random points in the midst of it, then hitting Ctrl+A, selecting the entire document. The only way I could tell where the cursor was was to use the arrow keys (since if I actually typed anything, it would replace the selected text). I found that if I pressed the Right or the Down arrow key, the cursor was placed at the end of the document. If I pressed the Left or the Up key, it was placed at the top of the document. This is exactly the same behavior as what I have found in Evernote.

This thread is not just about the placement of the cursor. I would like to know why the entire note scrolls way up to the top... no matter where Evernote puts the cursor.

• Level 5*

If you selected the entire note on purpose,  why does the scrolling matter?  I can appreciate that if you were looking to select the content of one table it would be disconcerting to lose your place in the note.  However Ctrl-A is select everything - the assumption (in this context) being that you're copying/ deleting all the content of that note.  To retain your position and avoid scrolling,  please use another means of selecting the table content.  If you'd prefer a different reaction,  please specify what that should be and either raise a bug report or post a feature request in the feedback stream...

• Level 5
14 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

This thread is not just about the placement of the cursor. I would like to know why the entire note scrolls way up to the top... no matter where Evernote puts the cursor.

Your original post, with one point highlighted:

On 8/8/2016 at 8:30 PM, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Is this supposed to happen? If so, why? It does not happen in Google Docs or Libre Office.

So this perhaps is what caused my confusion. But since you also say:

On 8/9/2016 at 5:24 PM, WeCanLearnAnything said:

The cursor was inside of a table. I wanted to select the entire table with CTRL+A, but that did not work. It just selected the entire note and then scrolled me way up to the top.

I have to say that Ctrl+A simply wasn't the tool for this particular job; and I'd agree with a couple of others that the program wouldn't necessarily expect the user to continue typing where they were after pressing Ctrl+A. OTOH, I've hit Ctrl+A by accident in other programs, and found that if they moved to the top of the file (EN is not the only one) I had some work to do to find where I was in a long document. So I do get your frustration, now that I understand what happened. But it does seem like a matter of how EN should handle Ctrl+A while allowing for a mistaken keypress rather than the normal usage.

Archived