tags not syncing

Hi im having a strange problem, the tags im making on the windows desktop programme are not syncing.  Notes are syncing fine but the tabs are not, checked web app, android tablet and windows phone and no tags on any but lots on the desktop programme.  Any idea why?

Thanks.

@wbutchartIf these tags are not appearing on the Web but changes to notes associated with those tags do, it sounds like a syncing issue. I'm going to convert this into a ticket and gather some additional details from you. 

Update: A ticket was already submitted by you and we have asked for a log. The issue described in your post has been reported to our development team and we are working on a fix.

Thanks, I have emailed the log but not had any further response, hope I did it ok.  I seem to have worked out what's causing it.  if I create any form of tag on the pc it does not sync, if I create them on the web app or android it syncs. I can add tabs on the pc that were created on the webapp and they work fine. It seems that created tags are not syncing for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Same problem here. If I create a tag in windows desktop, that tag does not appear in web. Notes created with that tag are synced in web but have not the new tag assigned. The tag simply doesn't exist in EN web, so is not assigned to notes.  I run Windows10, and last version (6.2) of EN for windows, What should I do next? Thanks in advance.

Edit.- ITHINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM. I have "Instant sync" enabled. If I create a new tag and then, BEFORE PERIODIC SYNC OCCUR, create a note with that tag assigned, the note syncs without the tag and the tag itself is not synced to web (does not appear in tags list). It seems that "instant sync" tries to sync a note BEFORE its assigned tag is uploaded to web, that means before that tag exists in EN servers. In the next periodic sync, in my case every 30 minutes, the tag gets updated to web, but the notes that were already (instantly) synced are not updated and don't get assigned the tag. In other words, "instant sync" apparently syncs ONLY the notes, not new created tags assigned to them, which are only updated to servers when a complete sync occur.  So if a new tag is not yet updated to servers via complete periodic sync, when a note with that tag is instantly synced, the note loses the tag forever. With current implementation, "instant sync" is somehow incompatible with creating new tags in desktop, unless you manually syncs after creating a new tag, and THEN create a note and assign that tag, which is not very convenient. I hope this helps.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, antho said:

Hi,

Same problem here. If I create a tag in windows desktop, that tag does not appear in web. Notes created with that tag are synced in web but have not the new tag assigned. The tag simply doesn't exist in EN web, so is not assigned to notes.  I run Windows10, and last version (6.2) of EN for windows, What should I do next? Thanks in advance.

Edit.- ITHINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM. I have "Instant sync" enabled. If I create a new tag and then, BEFORE PERIODIC SYNC OCCUR, create a note with that tag assigned, the note syncs without the tag and the tag itself is not synced to web (does not appear in tags list). It seems that "instant sync" tries to sync a note BEFORE its assigned tag is uploaded to web, that means before that tag exists in EN servers. In the next periodic sync, in my case every 30 minutes, the tag gets updated to web, but the notes that were already (instantly) synced are not updated and don't get assigned the tag. In other words, "instant sync" apparently syncs ONLY the notes, not new created tags assigned to them, which are only updated to servers when a complete sync occur.  So if a new tag is not yet updated to servers via complete periodic sync, when a note with that tag is instantly synced, the note loses the tag forever. With current implementation, "instant sync" is somehow incompatible with creating new tags in desktop, unless you manually syncs after creating a new tag, and THEN create a note and assign that tag, which is not very convenient. I hope this helps.

Good catch.  Did a quick test for myself and found that If I add another tag to the first notes, the new tag then appears on the web.  It seems to find it.  But instant sync for sure is not syncing new tags in a note as one would think it should.

Yes I noticed the same thing, but it seems to be a kind of erratic behaviour: adding another tag to note sometimes updates the newly created tag on the web, but sometimes (most of times) it does not. In fact I got it just once, and I think it probably was because incidentally it coincided with a periodic sync. I definitely think this behaviour deserves a bit of attention.

Archived