Evernote for Document Storage?

I have a subscription to Dropbox, iCloud, OneNote, EN (well not yet but considering it). Is there redundancy here? lol. Question. Does anyone use EN as their main document storage solution instead of a Dropbox or iCloud? 

EN stores documents, allows in document search so why wouldn't I use EN for this? Is there an issue getting documents back out of EN if I choose to in the future?

Thanks. 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, silentquest said:

I have a subscription to Dropbox, iCloud, OneNote, EN (well not yet but considering it). Is there redundancy here? lol. Question. Does anyone use EN as their main document storage solution instead of a Dropbox or iCloud? 

EN stores documents, allows in document search so why wouldn't I use EN for this? Is there an issue getting documents back out of EN if I choose to in the future?

I use EN as my only document storage solution, with a backup copy kept on iCloud in html format.
edited: Exception of music and photos; they are handled better by dedicated apps

There is no issue getting my notes out of EN.  I would never have committed to the EN service if there wasn't an easy export.

Question related to this. I have been devouring youtube vids on EN. One person who seems to do a great job is dottotech. He makes a statement in one of his vids "Evernote is very secure for items where security is not important." (sorry may be a little paraphrase even though I used quotes). 

This made me wonder if I should use EN as my repository for everything. Now I keep docs that have sensitive information like tax forms, etc in a secure vault in 1Password. I feel good about that. It looks like that same level of security is not possible in EN so I may need to leave those types of items there. I guess anything with a bank account number, SS#, or passwords. 

One thing I did see with the new CTO is that synch and back end security are 2 items he will be focused on so maybe some of this will change in the future. 

Thoughts?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, silentquest said:

This made me wonder if I should use EN as my repository for everything. Now I keep docs that have sensitive information like tax forms, etc in a secure vault in 1Password.

There are discussions of this in the forums that you can search for.

My process is to encrypt sensitive information; I use encrypted pdfs.

Another option is local notebooks so the data never leaves your computer.
I don't use these, preferring the backup and convenience of having my data sync'd to the EN servers and my other devices.

I trust EN to look after my data, but I'm not so naive as to think my info is 100% secure (Hello NSA/Chinese/Google agents)

• Level 5*

I do the pdf encryption on my Mac.
Encryption is built in to the Preview feature, but its not that strong.
There are various third party products; A-PDF has been recommended.

Note - EN also has builtin encryption, but it can only be used for text in a note.

Archived