Making support request from within Android app

• Level 5

I looked to see whether there might be a link in the Android app to report a problem or request support, and there is ... sort of. Under Support in the main menu there's Send Activity log. You select that, OK the info being sent and it opens an e-mail with all kinds of useful tech info. But ... it doesn't put an address on the e-mail! There's no way to know where to send the information. That definitely needs fixing.

Hi @Dave-in-Decatur,

That is a very good point you bring up. This is actually due to the fact that when submitting a support ticket to us, you get assigned a specific ticket number so that we can keep track of it.

When you send in the log file, we send out directions on what email address to send the log to and also provide you with your specific ticket number. This way the log you attach to the email gets routed to the support ticket you submitted.

Doing this prevents a flood of logs coming in and not knowing which tickets the logs belong to.

Hope this explains it a bit better and thank you for asking.

• Level 5

OK, I see that. But from within the Android app, then, there seems to be no way to submit a support ticket. One would have to go to Evernote.com in a browser and work from there. So I add to my comment in another forum, to the effect that there ought to be a link to Support in the Help menu of the various desktop programs, that there ought to be one in the Android app too. Or better yet, a support request built into the app, enough that one could fill it out and submit it to get a ticket number.

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5
On 7/28/2016 at 2:54 PM, Matt W. said:

When you send in the log file, we send out directions on what email address to send the log to and also provide you with your specific ticket number. This way the log you attach to the email gets routed to the support ticket you submitted.

@Matt W., I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just recently encountered this problem again, and it continues to be annoying. Isn't the inconsistency in the statement quoted above clear? How can we send in the log file, if we have to wait for EN to send out directions on the e-mail address to which it should be sent?! :unsure: :blink:

Please do help us to clear up the procedure here. Thanks!

• Level 5

Well, I do hate self-bumping. But this is not a feature request. It's a report of an existing feature that is not working properly. I disagree with its being moved here, to get further lost amid the myriad requests for new features. It needs a response from Evernote.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well, I do hate self-bumping. But this is not a feature request. It's a report of an existing feature that is not working properly. I disagree with its being moved here, to get further lost amid the myriad requests for new features. It needs a response from Evernote.

Sure, I'll move it back, if you prefer, though it still does seem to be a feature request: you want them to change their bug submission procedure, and this is the Product Feedback subforum. Wanting Evernote to do something is generally the rule of thumb I apply as to whether Product Feedback or Help (where forum-goers offer help to other Evernote users) that's more appropriate. Even so, it's as liable to get lost in the Help Forum than any place else, but it's your post.

• Level 5

I don't want them

4 hours ago, jefito said:

you want them to change their bug submission procedure

I don't want them to change the procedure; I want them to keep the same procedure, but fix a bug that is preventing it from working, namely, the bug in which the procedure creates an e-mail that is supposed to go to Evernote support, but does not fill in the appropriate Evernote e-mail address in the To: field of the e-mail, so that there's nowhere to send it. I maintain that the usually-reliable @Matt W.'s statement "When you send in the log file, we send out directions on what email address to send the log to" contains an obvious logical and procedural inconsistency, i.e. a bug.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't want them to change the procedure; I want them to keep the same procedure, but fix a bug that is preventing it from working

OK, you want them to fix a bug, then. Point being that your post is a request for want Evernote to do *something*, not something in aid of another user, which is my usual distinction:

In other words:

Android Product Feedback

Let us know what you think about Evernote Android--discuss feature and design feedback here.

versus:

Android Help

Community-based help for Evernote Android. Running into trouble or have a how-to question? Post it here.

But it's moved back the latter, per your request. Sorry for the bother.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I take your point. All's well.

I should clarify that bugfix requests don't fit neatly into either category, but in my mind it's closer to a feature request, probably because that's similar to how the bug tracking stuff works in my company. We also have a public forum, where we (the developers) and users of our software can offer application usage help if possible, before sending them off to official customer support; but if in our case, either features are requested or bugs are pointed out, then we open a new bug ticket, report the ticket number back to the customer, along with a pledge to notify them back in the forum if/when the feature is added (or the bug fixed).We generally don't give out schedule information, but occasionally it's been a matter of hours before a new release is issued, which is kind of cool.

Anyways, that's where my rule of thumb comes in, but it's not black and white, and if I move it once, it's no big deal to move it back if the original poster prefers that. Carry on. :) 

Archived