Local notes not opening - account issue?

I opened Evernote after it updated, and I tried to find a note that is stored in a local notebook. It was not in Evernote. I searched, and nothing came up, then I noticed that all of my local notebooks were missing.

I used the command+ space search feature on mac to search for the notes, and I found a folder that's com.evernote.Evernote, and opened it, and there was another folder in there, and the notes were in that folder. So I tried opening one of them

What happens when I do that is that Evernote gives me a pop up that says, "This note belongs to (my email). Log in to that account?" The options are "cancel" or "switch". I clicked switch. The same popup comes again. Then after I click "switch" again, nothing happens. The file does not open - Evernote is still showing me my synced notes, and these files are still not showing up in Evernote. 

I'm already logged into the account it's saying I need to switch to, though. I only have one account. So I just have no idea what's going on. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not a Mac user,  so I hope more help will be along shortly.  I don't know how 'local notes' are folded into the Mac structure,  but I do know they exist only on your device and not on Evernote's servers ('local' meaning exactly that).  So do you have any backup of your desktop? Or of your Evernote database?  If these notes can't be reconnected with your current database,  you may have to step back to a point where you can export them to an ENEX file and then re-import into the latest version of your account.

I'd strongly recommend you contact support with a 'lost data' support request.  If you're a premium customer,  try the Chat option and/ or tweet @EvernoteHelps for a quick(ish) response.  Good luck!

On 7/27/2016 at 10:11 AM, lavmintrose said:

I opened Evernote after it updated, and I tried to find a note that is stored in a local notebook. It was not in Evernote. I searched, and nothing came up, then I noticed that all of my local notebooks were missing.

I used the command+ space search feature on mac to search for the notes, and I found a folder that's com.evernote.Evernote, and opened it, and there was another folder in there, and the notes were in that folder. So I tried opening one of them

What happens when I do that is that Evernote gives me a pop up that says, "This note belongs to (my email). Log in to that account?" The options are "cancel" or "switch". I clicked switch. The same popup comes again. Then after I click "switch" again, nothing happens. The file does not open - Evernote is still showing me my synced notes, and these files are still not showing up in Evernote. 

I'm already logged into the account it's saying I need to switch to, though. I only have one account. So I just have no idea what's going on. 

Hi there @lavmintrose

I'm going to DM you. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Mussur said:

Is there any resolution to this? I'm facing the exact same issue.

Hi @Mussur, welcome to the Forums!

@lavmintrose's ticket ended up being escalated to our Technical Support team. I would be happy to create a ticket on your behalf to investigate this further. Can you you confirm for me that your local notebooks are not appearing anywhere in the Evernote application? Also, did this occur after a recent update to the application on your Mac?

I look forward to your response.

That's correct, my local notebooks are not available in the application. However, I noticed there are "enspot" files within the com.evernote.Evernote folder.

I'm pretty sure it was an auto-update, but the application kept crashing repeatedly while I was in the middle of editing a note. So I restarted my computer & all of my local notebooks were gone.

Thank you for looking into this!

On 7/27/2016 at 10:11 AM, lavmintrose said:

Hi @Mussur, I've created a Support Ticket on your behalf. You should be receiving an email from me shortly. Thanks for your patience!

• 1 month later...

So I actually solved the problem a different way than what support advised. When support told me to try using time machine, I tried it but I couldn't figure out what to do, so I just decided to forget about it. But I'd actually imported the notes from export files, and I happened to find the export files (which I thought I had deleted) in an old backup drive. So that works, if you have that... but if they're important notes, you'd probably try that already... 

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Christopher Manton said:

I just opened EN this morning and all my local notes (including ones I was working on last-night) have vanished. Is there a solution to this?

Any chance you're using different userids?

Did the local notebooks also vanish, or just the notes?

If it's a delete issue, the notes might be retrieved from the trash.

Archived