New for Evernote 6.2.2 Beta Release

Hi everyone,

We released a new beta yesterday - you can download it here

The major delta between Beta 1 and Beta 2 is the change we're doing around modifying the default location of Evernote files to the user directory. This forum thread is good background reading.  

As part of the change, if you use the current default location, we'll move these over for you as part of updating to the latest version of Evernote and you'll see show the following dialog when you launch 6.2.2 for the first time:

ScreenClip.png

This will be followed my the standard Windows copy dialog, as we move files over to the new location. The time this takes will vary based on the size of your files but typically shouldn't take more than a few minutes. 

We're particularly interested in feedback on this new flow - if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

Thanks, 

Chantal (and the rest of the Windows Evernote team!) 

Evernote for Windows 6.2.2 Release Notes

New:

• New for Beta 2: Evernote is changing the default location of its files.
  • New Tools/Options UI with lots of new options available
  • New Thumbnail view for your list of notes that presents notes the way they look in Note View

Improved:

• Shortcuts can now be optionally displayed on a separate toolbar.
  • Quick Search: clicking the button will pass the search to note search, just like Enter key. (thanks to gustavgi)
  • Assisted Search: hovering the "several" notebooks popup shows notebook notes preview tooltip. (thanks to gustavgi)

Fixed:

• Fixed problem with a cursor jumping to the beginning of the note when editing it in the single note view window.
  • Fixed problem with note list selection not being scrolled when a note is selected using a shortcut.
  • Fixed problem with thumbnail view sometimes getting very slow when viewing scale up images.

No comments on the database location as I already had it in another folder.

I also saw fixed the following bugs:

• ALT+F4 shortcut opens a search panel instead of closing the app.
  • Options and titles are shown in English even when the UI is set to Spanish

A couple of bugs I found:

• Thumbnail View. When a Note is created it seems like a new empty thumbnail is added UNDER the first one being shown.
  • The zoom slider won't update most of the times that columns or zoom buttons are clicked (But sometimes it works).

Some bugs still present:

• The Start Menu Shortcut of the app still disappears after update (the taskbar pinned shortcut works OK). Link.
  • The Side List Note View width is defaulted every time the View style is changed (other views width work fine). Link.
  • Thumbnail View: When scrolling, the thumbnails keep rearranging themselves and its a little annoying. It seems like its trying to align the notes to the top of the panel. Link.
  • Adding two checkboxes with [ ] shortcut moves the text caret to a new line. Link.
  • Copy, paste and move of anything in a note is a pretty slow action since the last couple of updates. Link.
  • With card view open and with scroll, if you change the notes panel width so to make the scroll disappear then bar will still be visible; when you reduce again the width so scroll will be needed again the scroll bar now disappear. Link.
  • I can only left click audio attachments if I click them in the border, but the right click works in the whole body of the attachment. Link.
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, nicobro88 said:

The Side List Note View width is defaulted every time the View style is changed (other views width work fine).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I think that we retain all of the note view positions independently. You should be able to size each individual view however you like and it will be persisted at that size across restarts. The first time you set the size, use File->Exit to persist the setting so you're not relying on Windows shutdown to do it for you, which can be problematic.

Adding two checkboxes with [ ] shortcut moves the text caret to a new line.

Work is underway to fix this, but there's no timeframe for public release yet.

I can only left click audio attachments if I click them in the border, but the right click works in the whole body of the attachment.

Thanks, we'll look into this.

• Level 5*

Reported before, still in this beta.  trying to remove a tag from a search by clicking the x in the search window still does not work.  In the example below, one time 12 clicks on the x removed the tag, the next time it took 3 clicks.  FYI. 

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Reported before, still in this beta.  trying to remove a tag from a search by clicking the x in the search window still does not work.  In the example below, one time 12 clicks on the x removed the tag, the next time it took 3 clicks.  FYI. 

ScreenClip.png

Yeah this is getting pretty annoying :)

• Level 5*

If it would require no larger effort, would it be possible to add "selected" as an additional trigger to "mouse-over" for "tooltips"?

This would mean that tooltips would show also if you use the keyboard arrows to move down the list, and it would show on finger press when using a touch screen.

hace 47 minutos, emerick dijo:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I think that we retain all of the note view positions independently. You should be able to size each individual view however you like and it will be persisted at that size across restarts. The first time you set the size, use File->Exit to persist the setting so you're not relying on Windows shutdown to do it for you, which can be problematic.

Hi emerick! what you say works ok. The steps to reproduce the problem is:

1. Select sidelist view
  2. Change view width
  3. Change to any other view
  4. Go back to sidelist view. The width wasn't saved.

If I keep the sidelist view open there's no problem, even if I close evernote or restart the PC, but changing between views it's what gives the problem and it only happens with sidelist view. I have different width for different views and they remain unchanged.

Thanks for the answer on the other two bugs!

• Level 5*

Well,  my private nightmare seems to be over,  but just to summarise:

Me.  Long-time Evernote user and all-round reasonably techie person.

Device.  Dell Inspiron i7 / 8GB / 1TB hard drive - pretty quick most days,

I downloaded the update file and clicked to proceed - didn't see any specific notice or warning (that I know of) at this stage about moving the database.

I had a 'finishing in 2 seconds' pop-up stuck on the desktop for some hours

After I left it for a while the Evernote window showed the correct notes totals,  but it was completely locked up - the only thing moving were the sync arrows

I left it for the evening,  and came back to it late;  at this stage I still had the sync arrows,  the '2 seconds' window and no access to anything on the laptop.

After several hours I powered the laptop off and rebooted.  It does appear that I got all my databases moved (there are three accounts on the system)

The Evernote/ evernote folder still exists because I had some database backup files in there.  I'll move them and tidy up the folders.

No clue why I had such a hard time this time around - a disk check says the HD is in fine shape.

I really think when this rolls out that you should include the database move details in the changes summary,  and add some variation on "This may take a little while..."

Going to bed now.

I'm not sure the reason behind moving the location of the database but I have a small problem with this.

I have EN Business and all the database of my Employees are located on a special partition I created for our business laptop (Drive Z). This particular drive is an SSD drive with sufficient space to hold the (40Go plus) of our database. C drive space is only for softwares (and not data) and has limited space size.

Moving the database to the C drive is a problem for our business (Not enough space due the the size of our EN Business database).

I'm not sure but when upgraded to Beta 6.2.2 EN can we have the option to opt out of the database move location?

I've just tested this Beta version on my Work PC and I did not see any possibility to prevent the move when the dialogue pops up.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Lesicaire said:

I'm not sure the reason behind moving the location of the database but I have a small problem with this.

I have EN Business and all the database of my Employees are located on a special partition I created for our business laptop (Drive Z). This particular drive is an SSD drive with sufficient space to hold the (40Go plus) of our database. C drive space is only for softwares (and not data) and has limited space size.

Moving the database to the C drive is a problem for our business (Not enough space due the the size of our EN Business database).

I'm not sure but when upgraded to Beta 6.2.2 EN can we have the option to opt out of the database move location?

I've just tested this Beta version on my Work PC and I did not see any possibility to prevent the move when the dialogue pops up.

According to the reports above, no move will be made unless the current database location is the default database location and not a user specified one.

13 hours ago, csihilling said:

ScreenClip.png

Had this problem for a long time too.. Will be good if this bug could be fixed.

• Level 5
18 hours ago, csihilling said:

Please help to reproduce. It always works on the first click here: tried different computers, screen resolutions, mouse drivers (hi res/low res), track pads, etc. Different tag combinations.

• Level 5*

It DOES NOT happen if I type tag:tagname tag:tagname into the search bar.  It happens EVERY time with a two tag search using the multi tag picker (Shift-Atl-T) or the tag drop down in the search area, no matter the tag combinations.  I just tried 10 or so random tag combos and they all failed.  I tried in different contexts, All Notes, my prime synced notebook, and my prime local notebook.  Still failed.  So I can reproduce at will.  

Hadn't tried a three tag search, doesn't happen since I don't have that many notes with three or more tags.  It doesn't work there either.

Relative to the hardware stuff, when I click on the x to remove the tag, the tag flashes as the x disappears or the search area and list flash, but then the screen returns to the same as before clicking the x.  Something is happening in the software, I would doubt it's hardware related.

I'm guessing that @gustavgi and @Lesicaire can share what they see as well.  What else can I do to help, PM if you need something specific?

• Level 5
17 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Relative to the hardware stuff, when I click on the x to remove the tag, the tag flashes as the x disappears or the search area and list flash, but then the screen returns to the same as before clicking the x.  Something is happening in the software, I would doubt it's hardware related.

Does it look like the tag is actually removed then added back?

• Level 5*

Hard to tell, but yes I would say so.  If I click on the left most tag of the two in the search description, it appears in a flash that the other tag "slides" left but then right away back to both tags.

EDIT:  If I click on the right most tag it disappears and then reappears.  Clicking on the x's obviously.

2nd EDIT:  I was wondering why the search explanation seemed to jump so I watched closely.  When x'ing a tag out of the search the note count changes to what the count would be without the tag and then back to what it is with the tag.  Happens very quickly but that is what happens.  So in simple terms, EN seems to remove the tag from the search and then add it right back.

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

It DOES NOT happen if I type tag:tagname tag:tagname into the search bar.  It happens EVERY time with a two tag search using the multi tag picker (Shift-Atl-T) or the tag drop down in the search area, no matter the tag combinations.  I just tried 10 or so random tag combos and they all failed.  I tried in different contexts, All Notes, my prime synced notebook, and my prime local notebook.  Still failed.  So I can reproduce at will.  

Hadn't tried a three tag search, doesn't happen since I don't have that many notes with three or more tags.  It doesn't work there either.

I'm guessing that @gustavgi and @Lesicaire can share what they see as well.  What else can I do to help, PM if you need something specific?

right - same thing here - only, if I use Shift-Alt-T oder drop down

But there is a solution: SHIFT-klick - and delete works as usual

delete-tags.mp4

• Level 5*

Hi all - I tried the two-tag issue,  and as far as I can tell, no matter which way I select more than two tags in a search,  I can always remove them one-by-one from the 'x' on the tag.

Just as a passing note - I also upgraded my now Windows 10 Evernote 6.0 to 6.2.2.  It has the same 16GB(app) Databases folder as my other system.  The updater closed Outlook,  installed the new version and moved the folder - took less than 20 minutes.  :wacko:

My disk usage was 100% throughout so the system was pretty much unusable for that period.

I also notice that my Appdata/ Evernote/Evernote folders are still there - again presumably because I have my own backup files stored there.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi all - I tried the two-tag issue,  and as far as I can tell, no matter which way I select more than two tags in a search,  I can always remove them one-by-one from the 'x' on the tag.

Weird.  Glad it works for you, but totally not working for me.  :mellow:

• Level 5
14 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Weird.  Glad it works for you, but totally not working for me.

Looks like a racing condition. We cannot repro it either no matter what we try. 

Since you can reproduce it consistently -- would you be interested in trying a private build to see if the problem is still there? The code responsible for merging search context has been streamlined and this could resolve the issue.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Looks like a racing condition. We cannot repro it either no matter what we try. 

Since you can reproduce it consistently -- would you be interested in trying a private build to see if the problem is still there? The code responsible for merging search context has been streamlined and this could resolve the issue.

Sure, I will give it a try.

• Evernote Expert
On 26/07/2016 at 11:06 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Hi everyone,

We released a new beta yesterday - you can download it here

The major delta between Beta 1 and Beta 2 is the change we're doing around modifying the default location of Evernote files to the user directory. This forum thread is good background reading.  

As part of the change, if you use the current default location, we'll move these over for you as part of updating to the latest version of Evernote and you'll see show the following dialog when you launch 6.2.2 for the first time:

ScreenClip.png

This will be followed my the standard Windows copy dialog, as we move files over to the new location. The time this takes will vary based on the size of your files but typically shouldn't take more than a few minutes. 

We're particularly interested in feedback on this new flow - if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

Thanks, 

Chantal (and the rest of the Windows Evernote team!) 

New:

• New for Beta 2: Evernote is changing the default location of its files.
  • New Tools/Options UI with lots of new options available
  • New Thumbnail view for your list of notes that presents notes the way they look in Note View

Improved:

• Shortcuts can now be optionally displayed on a separate toolbar.
  • Quick Search: clicking the button will pass the search to note search, just like Enter key. (thanks to gustavgi)
  • Assisted Search: hovering the "several" notebooks popup shows notebook notes preview tooltip. (thanks to gustavgi)

Fixed:

• Fixed problem with a cursor jumping to the beginning of the note when editing it in the single note view window.
  • Fixed problem with note list selection not being scrolled when a note is selected using a shortcut.
  • Fixed problem with thumbnail view sometimes getting very slow when viewing scale up images.

Installed the new Beta on a Windows 7 and Windows 8 PC - Originally Installed on Default Evernote location. The transition to New path is seamless. :) 

18,000+ Notes and a 20GB Database. It takes around 12-15 minutes for the transfer. No issues encountered on basic setup. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AndreasM said:

There was a question why the database is moved, why is it a major thing in this beta?, but as usual EN is not answering.

The folder move is being done because the old location contravenes Microsoft's guidelines for its use. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/app-settings/store-and-retrieve-app-data. Telling quote:

App data is mutable data that is specific to a particular app. It includes runtime state, user preferences, and other settings. App data is different from user data, data that the user creates and manages when using an app. User data includes document or media files, email or communication transcripts, or database records holding content created by the user. User data may be useful or meaningful to more than one app. Often, this is data that the user wants to manipulate or transmit as an entity independent of the app itself, such as a document.

*Important note about app data: *The lifetime of the app data is tied to the lifetime of the app. If the app is removed, all of the app data will be lost as a consequence. Don't use app data to store user data or anything that users might perceive as valuable and irreplaceable. We recommend that the user's libraries and Microsoft OneDrive be used to store this sort of information. App data is ideal for storing app-specific user preferences, settings, and favorites.

I upgraded to 6.2.2 day before yesterday. Yesterday ran just fine. Today Evernote won't open, either clicking the desktop icon or going to the program the icon references.

Searching help doesn't help.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I upgraded to 6.2.2 day before yesterday. Yesterday ran just fine. Today Evernote won't open, either clicking the desktop icon or going to the program the icon references.

Tried a reboot?

My upgrade to version 6.2.2.3164 Prerelease went very smoothly with one exception that I noticed today:

Note links no longer work.  The menu still exists but when I copy a note link all it does is copy the text and does not create an actual link back to the note.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, BillJ said:

My upgrade to version 6.2.2.3164 Prerelease went very smoothly with one exception that I noticed today:

Note links no longer work.  The menu still exists but when I copy a note link all it does is copy the text and does not create an actual link back to the note.

Hi.  My "extended" update is now up and running,  and note links are not a problem.  As above I'd suggest a reboot and if necessary an uninstall / reinstall to see if that resolves matters.

Apologies - I should have mentioned I already performed a reboot.  I'll attempt and uninstall/reinstall if and when I get time albeit that should never be the preferred solution :-)

UPDATE:  As much as I am not a fan of uninstall/reinstall - I did it today and now my note links work just fine :-)

On 7/26/2016 at 11:36 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed:

I updated to 6.2.2.3164 (303164) Prerelese

Windows 10

Lenovo Y50 Touch

Today I found this bug; repeatable for me:

Edit note in an opened note window

Add the following:

Test1 (Carriage Return)

(Tab) Test2 (Carriage Return)

(Tab)(Tab) Test3 (Carriage return)

The situation looks like this:

Test1

Test2

Test3

(cursor is here)

Now, while on that indented but blank line, backspace twice to get to no indent.

On the second backspace, the note jumps to the top, but the cursor is still where you were in the text.

I'm not sure this is the same bug I quoted, but wanted to point out some similarity.

• Level 5*
On July 30, 2016 at 5:56 PM, AndreasM said:

Over and over again, new release or new beta and old bugs popping up with new bugs added. And now EN want us to pay for this. It cannot go on like this.

EN you should go back to the base and provide a permanent fix for the old, very old bugs. It seems you are not in control of the software. You are introducing new feature, nobody is really asking for, and at the same time the old bugs are still there. It seems you don't care about them, really????

I am afraid of updating to any new version, because this may mess up my notes. Thank you, don't want this.

Are you commenting on the free software, and free upgrades.
No one is asking you to pay for it.

Also, no one is forcing you to implement the upgrades.
I am serious about this, recommending you hold off on upgrades until all the bugs have been identified.
Then you will know exactly what you're getting, and possibly don't install the upgrade.

If I paid for the upgraded software, I would have expected a higher level of bug-free code

On 7/29/2016 at 9:49 AM, TdeV said:

On 7/29/2016 at 10:08 AM, csihilling said:

Tried a reboot?

After a reboot yesterday, En worked fine. Later yesterday another reboot, and put to sleep last night.

Today, Evernote won't open.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, TdeV said:

After a reboot yesterday, En worked fine. Later yesterday another reboot, and put to sleep last night.

Today, Evernote won't open.

That bites.   Time for Revo uninstall?

On 7/29/2016 at 2:11 AM, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

Installed the new Beta on a Windows 7 and Windows 8 PC - Originally Installed on Default Evernote location. The transition to New path is seamless. :) 

18,000+ Notes and a 20GB Database. It takes around 12-15 minutes for the transfer. No issues encountered on basic setup. 

Woohoo! Glad to hear it @Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy :) 

• Level 5*

After an abortive attempt to change to OneNote, I am back with Evernote. Can't believe OneNote wanted me to add more space to my OneDrive because I have too many notes! I keep a lot of notes offline in Evernote, and have no desire to have a lot of data in the cloud. So I would rather pay for a solution that works for me! Anyway, to get on topic, I installed this update and it ran very quickly. Relieved to see that it did NOT move my database, since I had already done that some time (years?) ago because I didn't like the risk of having an update over-write my lovingly created monstrosity with some evil little shadow of its former self! At least on this occasion MS rules make sense! So a big thanks to the EN team for doing the sensible thing, at last. I will continue to work with the new version, making up for lost time trying that "other" solution!

Good to see some intel on OneNote. I've been tempted but as you note MS is on a long term strategy to migrate a lot to (their) cloud. From time to time I use Evernote web and while I'm glad it's there it isn't my main use model. 

On 7/30/2016 at 11:47 AM, eafpres said:

Windows 10

Lenovo Y50 Touch

Add the following:

Test1 (Carriage Return)

Test1

Test2

Test3

(cursor is here)

Now, while on that indented but blank line, backspace twice to get to no indent.

On the second backspace, the note jumps to the top, but the cursor is still where you were in the text.

I'm not sure this is the same bug I quoted, but wanted to point out some similarity.

Any feedback as to whether this is a confirmed bug?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Test1

Test2

Test3

(cursor is here)

Hmmm ... when I type carriage return after test3 the cursor is at column 1 on the next line, not where you show it.

Sorry, my incorrect description.  Should be:

Test1 (CR)

(Indent) Test2 (CR)

(Indent) Test3 (CR)  <note that since Test2 is indented, the CR brings the cursor on the new line to the first indent, thus only one more indent is required>

The next step reproduces the bug (i.e., backspacing on the blank line 2x)

I also just figured out that this only occurs if there is enough content in the note that it is scrolled in the window.

18 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Any feedback as to whether this is a confirmed bug?

On 7/30/2016 at 11:47 AM, eafpres said:

Windows 10

Lenovo Y50 Touch

Add the following:

Test1 (Carriage Return)

Test1

Test2

Test3

(cursor is here)

Sorry, my incorrect description.  Should be:

Test1 (CR)

(Indent) Test2 (CR)

(Indent) Test3 (CR)  <note that since Test2 is indented, the CR brings the cursor on the new line to the first indent, thus only one more indent is required>

The next step reproduces the bug (i.e., backspacing on the blank line 2x)

I also just figured out that this only occurs if there is enough content in the note that it is scrolled in the window.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

<note that since Test2 is indented, the CR brings the cursor on the new line to the first indent, thus only one more indent is required>

Unless I'm not understanding correctly, I am seeing different behavior.  No matter how many indents I might have, a CR always brings me to the first column on the next line.  It never brings me to an indented position.  I see what you describe only when using bulleted or numbered lists.

Prior to this recent update I was getting lots of "not responding" states whilst using Evernote, I have upgraded to this version now and its even worse. Particularly when syncing. I can be working away in a note then as soon as it begins to sync the app just freezes and I get "not responding" if I don't notice and either press a key or click the mouse then the whole thing grays out and I get the windows message asking me if I want to wait or close the program. Very frustrating and totally unproductive.

Any suggestions anyone?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, ianfm said:

Prior to this recent update I was getting lots of "not responding" states whilst using Evernote, I have upgraded to this version now and its even worse. Particularly when syncing. I can be working away in a note then as soon as it begins to sync the app just freezes and I get "not responding" if I don't notice and either press a key or click the mouse then the whole thing grays out and I get the windows message asking me if I want to wait or close the program. Very frustrating and totally unproductive.

Any suggestions anyone?

Yes, to me this is the first release that seems to freeze a lot without any actual resource demanding actions.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, ianfm said:

Any suggestions anyone?

You could try turning off Instant sync if it is enabled, Tools - Options - Synchronization.  If enabled, EN may be trying to sync the note during the edit.  Other than that, only thing I can think off would be to force a sync from time to time.  Not pretty for sure.

I have noticed that if I do a bulk tag change there can be a slow down.  So in that case I do the change and then hit the sync button.  Otherwise, I haven't noticed any slow downs.  They went away with the advent of V5 for me.

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

You could try turning off Instant sync if it is enabled, Tools - Options - Synchronization.  If enabled, EN may be trying to sync the note during the edit.  Other than that, only thing I can think off would be to force a sync from time to time.  Not pretty for sure.

I have noticed that if I do a bulk tag change there can be a slow down.  So in that case I do the change and then hit the sync button.  Otherwise, I haven't noticed any slow downs.  They went away with the advent of V5 for me.

ScreenClip.png

I have instant sync disabled, but it's not locking up while editing a note but at random times while just browsing, while it syncs, and often just by closing a note which has been opened in a separate window.

2 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I have instant sync disabled, but it's not locking up while editing a note but at random times while just browsing, while it syncs, and often just by closing a note which has been opened in a separate window.

I too have instant sync disabled and it makes no difference. Other times it locks up is when creating new note and tabbing from the title to the note body or pressing F3 to select tags and yes also closing a note if it is open in a separate window. 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I haven't seen that behavior, but I have noticed that syncs take longer for minimal changes.  No access issues but a longer "spin" cycle.  

Can't really do a bug report since this is a beta...  Any EN input @Chantal Leonard or @kvitekp?

21 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Unless I'm not understanding correctly, I am seeing different behavior.  No matter how many indents I might have, a CR always brings me to the first column on the next line.  It never brings me to an indented position.  I see what you describe only when using bulleted or numbered lists.

Please see attached composite.  To be clear, I'm using the indent from the edit toolbar, not tabs.  Tabs just inserts spaces.  Indents know they are indents and you can also backspace and it goes to the previous level.  When you are trying to replicate, did you meet three criteria:  (1) you must be scrolled down in a note, (2) you must use indent from the editing toolbar, and (3) this only works the first time you backspace.

20160803 Evernote 6.2.2 issue composite.jpg

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, eafpres said:

To be clear, I'm using the indent from the edit toolbar, not tabs.

Ok, that helps.  I was using the tab key and not the indent menu item.  I can now reproduce what you see.  I tend to only use indent in combination with either bulleted or numbered lists so would have never run into this on my own, and like you said, this needs to be a scrollable window to experience.  Seems like an edge case, but I agree, a bug.

5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Ok, that helps.  I was using the tab key and not the indent menu item.  I can now reproduce what you see.  I tend to only use indent in combination with either bulleted or numbered lists so would have never run into this on my own, and like you said, this needs to be a scrollable window to experience.  Seems like an edge case, but I agree, a bug.

Thanks for helping to confirm!

4 hours ago, ianfm said:

Any suggestions anyone?

I have a long-standing support ticket with Evernote regarding the "Not Responding" issue.  Prior to 6.2.2 I traced it to 100% disk I/O utilization by Evernote as evidenced by Task Manager sorted by disk I/O.  Support eventually suggested to me to Optimize my database.  That feature is available in a hidden menu (see below).  Here is exactly the dialogue:

The next troubleshooting step I would like to take is to optimize your database to see if that resolves the not responding issues that you are having.

You can do that by click Tools in the top toolbar, hold CONTROL on your keyboard, then move your mouse directly to the right to Help. This will reveal the troubleshooting menu that will have some extra options. The one we want to select is Optimize Database.

Let that process complete, restart the Evernote application, and please let me know if you find that the issue persists after doing that.

I did that and voila! the problem was gone.  Unfortunately it slowly came back and got worse over 2 weeks or so.  

After updating to 6.2.2 a new "Not Responding" behavior appeared. I now get "Not Responding" without the 100% disk I/O.  I still have the disk utilization flavor of the issue, but now a new one.  These new ones sometimes take a long time (30 seconds) to resolve.

I have not re-run the Optimization, but you may want to try that.  I'm going to do it but it can take a long time (10s of minutes).

New Bug found.

When changing the option for "Maximum number of recent notebooks" (Under: Tools/Options/Navigation/Notebooks related options)
Let's say you change the option from 3 to 5 notebooks. When you close EN and reopen it reverts back the number to 3 (Default).

Can someone could replicate this and confirm?

Thanks.

On 03/08/2016 at 2:27 PM, ianfm said:

Any suggestions anyone?

I'm having the same issue too.

On 03/08/2016 at 6:40 PM, eafpres said:

I have a long-standing support ticket with Evernote regarding the "Not Responding" issue.  Prior to 6.2.2 I traced it to 100% disk I/O utilization by Evernote as evidenced by Task Manager sorted by disk I/O.  Support eventually suggested to me to Optimize my database.  That feature is available in a hidden menu (see below).  Here is exactly the dialogue:

The next troubleshooting step I would like to take is to optimize your database to see if that resolves the not responding issues that you are having.

You can do that by click Tools in the top toolbar, hold CONTROL on your keyboard, then move your mouse directly to the right to Help. This will reveal the troubleshooting menu that will have some extra options. The one we want to select is Optimize Database.

Let that process complete, restart the Evernote application, and please let me know if you find that the issue persists after doing that.

I did that and voila! the problem was gone.  Unfortunately it slowly came back and got worse over 2 weeks or so.  

After updating to 6.2.2 a new "Not Responding" behavior appeared. I now get "Not Responding" without the 100% disk I/O.  I still have the disk utilization flavor of the issue, but now a new one.  These new ones sometimes take a long time (30 seconds) to resolve.

I have not re-run the Optimization, but you may want to try that.  I'm going to do it but it can take a long time (10s of minutes).

I tried the optimisation option but never even got to completing this, everytime I select this option Evernote just locks up "not responding" I went away and left it for almost two hours and when I came back it was still not responding so I had to kill this through the task manager.

On 8/3/2016 at 8:37 AM, ianfm said:

I too have instant sync disabled and it makes no difference. Other times it locks up is when creating new note and tabbing from the title to the note body or pressing F3 to select tags and yes also closing a note if it is open in a separate window. 

Wow, that's unfortunate.  Makes me uneasy to do it again.  If I get up the courage to do so, I'll post results here.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:50 AM, ianfm said:

I tried the optimisation option but never even got to completing this, everytime I select this option Evernote just locks up "not responding" I went away and left it for almost two hours and when I came back it was still not responding so I had to kill this through the task manager.

I did the database optimization today.  It took about 4 hours.  My configuration:

lenovo Y50 touch

1 TB drive 75% free

Windows 10, up to date

Evernote dB 10.7 GByte

Total EN file 12.7 GByte

11009 notes, 1098 attachments (1.67 GB)

Initial impression is that it is now responsive again; I'll update over the next week if I see the same degradation as before.

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎07 at 3:30 AM, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Does version 6.2.2 include the "Common Editor"?

If not, when will that be released for Windows 10?

I think the 1.0 version of the common editor was incorporated in the last v5 builds already. I read somewhere on this forum that they are about to incorporate it into the iOS version for the first time soon, but that iOS will then be the first to have 1.5.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, eafpres said:

I did the database optimization today.  It took about 4 hours.  My configuration:

lenovo Y50 touch

1 TB drive 75% free

Windows 10, up to date

Evernote dB 10.7 GByte

Total EN file 12.7 GByte

11009 notes, 1098 attachments (1.67 GB)

Initial impression is that it is now responsive again; I'll update over the next week if I see the same degradation as before.

Database optimization only works to speed up the database access/search for me. But the v.6.2 problems doesn't seem like they are database access related.

32 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Database optimization only works to speed up the database access/search for me. But the v.6.2 problems doesn't seem like they are database access related.

Evernote support suggested the optimization based on my ongoing "Not Responding " problems. It helped significantly for the previous version. I think it as well helps for 6.2.2 beta. Will continue to report behavior. 

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Evernote support suggested the optimization based on my ongoing "Not Responding " problems. It helped significantly for the previous version. I think it as well helps for 6.2.2 beta. Will continue to report behavior. 

Yeah and that has worked well for me in the past as well, and it has done plenty to help speed up search suggestion delays etc., which would put Evernote in a "not reponding" state. But while those problems might still be present as well (moving tags search and search suggestions from search bar to Ctrl+Q seem to have solved the problem for me), these new freeze/hang issues in v6.2 are new and triggered by actions that I have never experienced causing freeze/hang issues before. And since it hangs on simple actions and not while searching etc, something broke in v.6.2.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:50 AM, ianfm said:

Right.  I will update if I see the non-disk I/O related "Not Responding" now that I've run the optimization.

On 8/5/2016 at 2:09 AM, Lesicaire said:

New Bug found.

When changing the option for "Maximum number of recent notebooks" (Under: Tools/Options/Navigation/Notebooks related options)
Let's say you change the option from 3 to 5 notebooks. When you close EN and reopen it reverts back the number to 3 (Default).

Can someone could replicate this and confirm?

Thanks.

Yes, this is a bug. We're tracking it now.

On 8/8/2016 at 2:35 AM, gustavgi said:

I think the 1.0 version of the common editor was incorporated in the last v5 builds already. I read somewhere on this forum that they are about to incorporate it into the iOS version for the first time soon, but that iOS will then be the first to have 1.5.

Is there an official record or announcement of this somewhere?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Is there an official record or announcement of this somewhere?

Not that I'm aware of.  As @gustavgi mentioned it first showed up in the later v5 builds for Windows.  They were pretty quiet about it but it may have been included in one of the beta feature lists.  Other than that just isolated comments in some of the forum posts.

On 8/8/2016 at 7:34 AM, eafpres said:

Right.  I will update if I see the non-disk I/O related "Not Responding" now that I've run the optimization.

Some very preliminary results--Evernote behavior of "Not Responding" due to disk I/O is coming back, so far not "terrible".  There do seem to more other cases resulting in "Not Responding".  For me, copy/paste content between notes or from the clipboard to a note seems to be a problem.

On 8/11/2016 at 10:28 AM, eafpres said:

Some very preliminary results--Evernote behavior of "Not Responding" due to disk I/O is coming back, so far not "terrible".  There do seem to more other cases resulting in "Not Responding".  For me, copy/paste content between notes or from the clipboard to a note seems to be a problem.

OK, after running for a number of days after database optimization, my impression is that this version migrates into the "Not Responding" behavior faster than the previous beta.

Oddly, after a few days, I'm seeing a lot of "Not Responding" after/during simple operations:

• Selecting a block of text
  • Copy/paste
  • Deleting a graphic from a note

In addition, I'm not seeing the "Not Responding" without disk I/O @ 100%.  Everything I'm describing here happens when Evernote takes most of the disk I/O (in Task Manager) and it pegs at 100%.  Duration varies from a few seconds to 10s of seconds.  

VERY unhappy about Evernote deciding to move my database without my permission!

My C: drive is a fast SSD, but not huge. It is for the OS and programs only - data goes on my D: drive. Evernote had its own folder there - user specified - but you went and moved it anyway.

I've now moved it back, but that fully tears it for me. I was an early adopter to Evernote, and a premium user for years and years. After going over a year where the Outlook clipper causes errors and disables functions in Outlook, making this critical function unusable, I've moved my working folders to OneNote, using Evernote just for reference note storage.

Now, you do an update big enough to warrant moving my data without permission, but still haven't bloody fixed the Outlook issue. That's it. I'm done. I'll be getting the rest of my data off of Evernote and closing down my account, which is a real pity, as I used to love it.

• Level 5*
On 20/08/2016 at 0:16 AM, KimSR said:

VERY unhappy about Evernote deciding to move my database without my permission!

My C: drive is a fast SSD, but not huge. It is for the OS and programs only - data goes on my D: drive. Evernote had its own folder there - user specified - but you went and moved it anyway.

I've now moved it back, but that fully tears it for me. I was an early adopter to Evernote, and a premium user for years and years. After going over a year where the Outlook clipper causes errors and disables functions in Outlook, making this critical function unusable, I've moved my working folders to OneNote, using Evernote just for reference note storage.

Now, you do an update big enough to warrant moving my data without permission, but still haven't bloody fixed the Outlook issue. That's it. I'm done. I'll be getting the rest of my data off of Evernote and closing down my account, which is a real pity, as I used to love it.

Sorry to see you had problems - my experience of the update was that Evernote warned me that there was a move in prospect if the database was still stored at the default location.  It was not supposed to move (I think) databases that had already been moved to a custom location.  It then gave me an option to choose a different location before actually completing the move.

As it happened,  there was a problem,  and I did have some of my own files in the original location.  Evernote was extremely well behaved and didn't delete

1) my old database initially because of the glitch;  another attempt at the update then cleared it. 

2) my own files even though everything else in the folder was gone.

Developers try to plan for every contingency,  but sometimes things just go wrong.

Archived