Changes to Basic (Free) Features

For some time, e-mails have been going out saying that Basic (Free) users will be able to access Evernote on a maximum of 2 devices; however, no details about that change have been made available.

If I have accessed Evernote on more than 2 devices in the past, will I get to choose which 2 I want to use going forward? If so, when and how?

If I log off and erase all associated files on one of my 2 devices, will I then be able to access a different 2nd device? Or does this change mean that I can only log on from 2 different IP addresses?

Can I change one or both of my devices? If so, how?

• Level 5*

I think that Evernote hasn't been as clear about the two-device limit as they might have been (the information is there, but you kinda have to dig for it); unfortunately I've seen a lot of angst and confusion from free users thinking that it's two devices maximum. That's not quite the case, instead, it's two devices signed into Evernote at the same time. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068, which describes the device limits more completely. And feel free to ask further questions if this isn't clear to you.

14 hours ago, jefito said:

That's not quite the case, instead, it's two devices signed into Evernote at the same time.

Ehhh..  I would hold off on giving that out as a suitable workaround.  I can imagine syncing issues if people are constantly adding/removing devices to get around the device limitation.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, sflorack said:

Ehhh..  I would hold off on giving that out as a suitable workaround.  I can imagine syncing issues if people are constantly adding/removing devices to get around the device limitation.

That's not a workaround; it's Evernote policy, per the link I posted. I'm not sure I see a problem: if you're not signed in, you cannot modify a note and create a conflict. When you sign in, any changes should come down to the signed in device.

Guest Once a happy euser...

Imagine the number of new onenote users thanks to this new 2 device plan. Talking about shooting yourself in the foot... best of luck... 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Guest Once a happy euser... said:

Imagine the number of new onenote users thanks to this new 2 device plan. Talking about shooting yourself in the foot... best of luck... 

Non-paying users switching to OneNote 

Sounds like a plus for Evernote, the more the better. 

Upgrading to a paid plan would be better, but let's face it, these are not people who pay for this type of service

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Guest Once a happy euser... said:

Because, um, they're making so much money off longtime free users?? Hmmm, let me get out the slide rule to do the math...

I felt the need to chime in my two cents here as well. I have been a fairly avid user of Evernote for several years now and have frequently recommended it to many of my friends and colleagues. 

Today, I made the move to Onenote. And there were a few reasons for that:

1.  I am only a basic user of Evernote to the greatest degree. I take notes, clip pages and save bookmarks. Probably the most advanced feature I use is tagging ...
  2. I am a part-time student and both at work and school I frequently switch between three devices (Windows Desktop, Surface Pro, Android Phone). Which is beyond the capabilities of the new Evernote Basic
  3. The yearly price being asked for now for me to continue using Evernote the way I like for my simple tasks on all my devices is more than I pay for my Office 365 subscription which not only includes that more advanced features of Onenote, but also Office 365, Office 2016 for all those devices, 1TB of Onedrive Cloud Storage and more....

From those points, I've concluded that the price being asked is far beyond what I can reasonably justify to continue using this product.

In conclusion, up to this day, I have been very pleased with Evernote but I no longer see a reason to use or recommend it. I am very disappointed in this change.

PS: Although I agree to the point with the "Gurus" who have commented before me, I feel the need to add this; I am the kind of person who does happily pay for services (E.g. Office 365) and would have been happy to pay for Evernote considering my long history with it were it for a price, or had a desirable feature set worth that value, that I considered reasonable.

• Level 5*
On 7/28/2016 at 5:24 PM, Stompound said:

I felt the need to chime in my two cents here as well. I have been a fairly avid user of Evernote for several years now and have frequently recommended it to many of my friends and colleagues. 

Today, I made the move to Onenote. And there were a few reasons for that:

1.  I am only a basic user of Evernote to the greatest degree. I take notes, clip pages and save bookmarks. Probably the most advanced feature I use is tagging ...
  2. I am a part-time student and both at work and school I frequently switch between three devices (Windows Desktop, Surface Pro, Android Phone). Which is beyond the capabilities of the new Evernote Basic
  3. The yearly price being asked for now for me to continue using Evernote the way I like for my simple tasks on all my devices is more than I pay for my Office 365 subscription which not only includes that more advanced features of Onenote, but also Office 365, Office 2016 for all those devices, 1TB of Onedrive Cloud Storage and more....

From those points, I've concluded that the price being asked is far beyond what I can reasonably justify to continue using this product.

In conclusion, up to this day, I have been very pleased with Evernote but I no longer see a reason to use or recommend it. I am very disappointed in this change.

PS: Although I agree to the point with the "Gurus" who have commented before me, I feel the need to add this; I am the kind of person who does happily pay for services (E.g. Office 365) and would have been happy to pay for Evernote considering my long history with it were it for a price, or had a desirable feature set worth that value, that I considered reasonable.

I don't think that anyone should blame you for taking up Evernote on their free service -- it's what they offer, after all. And no-one should blame you for making a reasoned decision to switch, either. If you find a better tool for your use case, then you should use it, by all means.

But a couple of comments: first, the two device limit really means two concurrently signed in devices (and the web client doesn't count as a signed in device); that may be less onerous than you think.And second, if you're a tagger, then the transition to OneNote may be somewhat problematic, since OneNote doesn't really support tags in the same way that Evernote does, and the Evernote importers available for OneNote do weird things with Evernote tags.

Regardless, good luck.

Oh, and p.s.: the "Guru" designation is really just based on post count, and signifies no special knowledge of Evernote...

On 7/30/2016 at 10:54 AM, jefito said:

I don't think that anyone should blame you for taking up Evernote on their free service -- it's what they offer, after all. And no-one should blame you for making a reasoned decision to switch, either. If you find a better tool for your use case, then you should use it, by all means.

But a couple of comments: first, the two device limit really means two concurrently signed in devices (and the web client doesn't count as a signed in device); that may be less onerous than you think.And second, if you're a tagger, then the transition to OneNote may be somewhat problematic, since OneNote doesn't really support tags in the same way that Evernote does, and the Evernote importers available for OneNote do weird things with Evernote tags.

Regardless, good luck.

Oh, and p.s.: the "Guru" designation is really just based on post count, and signifies no special knowledge of Evernote...

Some good feedback here Jefito, I had honestly expected the "Guru" title to mean a little more than post count. Thanks for clarifiying. Also, I have a little extra to add in regards to your additional comments.

I was actually aware of the concurrent devices point you brought up. If you refer to my original comment, I work concurrently (albeit I left this word out, it was what I meant) with three devices which is why that doesn't work for me; and these are usually a separate task on the Desktop and the Surface, and then the phone for moments I have to move around quickly depending on circumstance. And I'll admit it would possibly be fine for an even lighter user than I am. I haven't used the web client before, but that's because I still require my notes when the network goes down, so having my notes synced and up to date is important to me. Having an added hassle in regards doesn't bring value to the product in my case, it detracts from it. So, as you mentioned, it's my particular use case that brings this home for me.

On your second note, about tags, you've brought up a valid point. The tag transition was a little rough for me. I'd say a 2-4 hour learning curve to figure out what happened with my tags from the importer and decide on how I would use them in the future. And then a little bit of extra work to adjust my tags (probably another 3 hours or so, I didn't use a stopwatch so that's a rough estimate). That was based on a tagging system on about 1000 notes. I have more notes than that, but not all of them are important enough to be tagged. So if anyone else decides to make a switch, they might want to be aware of the time consumption involved. 

Anyways, thanks for the good wishes and best of luck to you as well (and all those that continue to use Evernote).

Guest Katarina

Hello to everybody! Can you help me with my question, please? I can't understand if notes originally made on device not included in that two I chose as my devices will be available for me after applying the new policy? 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Guest Katarina said:

Hello to everybody! Can you help me with my question, please? I can't understand if notes originally made on device not included in that two I chose as my devices will be available for me after applying the new policy? 

Hi.  Your devices all connect to the server to exchange information.  They each upload their changes and download edits from elsewhere.  If there are two changes on the same note,  the most recent wins.  Those devices currently linked with the account will be up to date because they are connected,  and periodically (or if you open or close the app) they will sync automatically.  You'll need to connect and sync your 'other' device to see that note on the others.  If you are device swapping,  I'd recommend connecting and syncing before you edit anything on all devices.  When you finish,  sync again and exit the app.

On July 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Guest Once a happy euser... said:

So Evernote is actually cutting all but two of the devices I have been using so far!

Starting now I will look for an alternative to Evernote so that I can just drop it off.
Meanwhile I’ll stay basic - I refuse to pay extra for what I’ve had as part of the service since the beginning
Not nice to strip the service Evernote jasbeen providing since it was small
We helped its growth and know Evernote thanks us but cutting the service

bye

• Level 5*
On 8/8/2016 at 9:50 AM, Juracrav said:

So Evernote is actually cutting all but two of the devices I have been using so far!

Starting now I will look for an alternative to Evernote so that I can just drop it off.
Meanwhile I’ll stay basic - I refuse to pay extra for what I’ve had as part of the service since the beginning
Not nice to strip the service Evernote jasbeen providing since it was small
We helped its growth and know Evernote thanks us but cutting the service

bye

• Level 5
On 8/8/2016 at 9:50 AM, Juracrav said:

Pay extra? You're not paying anything now.

I think there is a big disconnect in what you guys are saying that is not understood.

I'm a premium user of evernote - I like it
To get work done I work with others, some have free accounts.

The free tier used to be attractive enough that people using it for free would get hooked.
So non paid users could be leaches, or they are potential paid users.

In my case the value of evernote drops for my paid account as my ability to use evernote with non-paid clients drops.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Nathan005 said:

The free tier used to be attractive enough that people using it for free would get hooked.
So non paid users could be leaches, or they are potential paid users.

Sure, but a lot of those free users never were nor would ever be paid users. I think that Evernote wants to sharpen that choice, and slough off at least some of those users, while giving potential users the ability to try out the service for free, albeit on a limited basis (the two synced device limit). Even users who have more than one device can get around this, with a little bit of extra work. I'm not a fan of calling free users "leeches" or "freeloaders", but it does seem fair for Evernote to ask people using the service to pay, or suffer some restrictions on its usage. I would be in favor of adding a new, lower-priced tier, that would allow Basic service users more devices; there's a post that you can vote on (if that idea resonates with you) here: 

Archived