(Archived) What happens when you drag a file into a Note?

trishacupra

Idea

I've been using Evernote for years, just upgraded to the Premium version, and now I realize I have a totally newbie question. :shock:

For the first time I felt the need to reference a Zip file in a note. So, I dragged the zip into the note.

Now, I'm wondering what actually happened when I did that. Can I delete the original file? Does it get copied or moved elsewhere, and if so, where? How would I back it up? Or is it just a link to that file - what if I move the file?

It's in a synced notebook, and it looks like I can download the zip from the web interface. So, there is a copy in the 'cloud', too, now?

I often drag images into notes. What happens with other file types? Surely there is a page explaining how this works in Evernote - I haven't found it yet via Google, though. If someone has a link, please share it.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Sometimes the best thing you can do is just experiment. For example, I keep a Test notebook where I can test things out. This is with the Windows 3.5 client, by the way -- your mileage may vary. I created a note and dropped a bitmap (.bmp) and a .PDF file into it. Then I renamed the bitmap and PDF file. They both can be activated directly from the note by double-clicking, so it appears that they both exist in toto inside the note, and could safely be deleted.

After syncing, I can see the bitmap in my note on the web, and the PDF appears as an attachment that I can click on and view.

Maybe someone else will chime in with what's actually known, but sometimes poking about in an application can teach you things...

~Jeff

When you drag a file into EN, you now have two copies. The source file & the one in EN. I would recommend leaving the source file only if this is a document you don't change & simply want multiple copies in case one gets destroyed/lost/deleted. Otherwise, you run into the standard pitfalls of having two copies of the same document...some changes may get made to the one in EN but not the one that's directly on the hard drive & vice versa.

• Level 5*
When you drag a file into EN, you now have two copies. The source file & the one in EN. I would recommend leaving the source file only if this is a document you don't change & simply want multiple copies in case one gets destroyed/lost/deleted. Otherwise, you run into the standard pitfalls of having two copies of the same document...some changes may get made to the one in EN but not the one that's directly on the hard drive & vice versa.

About what my experiments showed -- just didn't know whether there were any exception file types where this didn't hold.

I figured you'd have the scoop. :)

~Jeff

You can either back up your whole account database (within your Mac home directory, under Library / Application Support), or else you can right-click on a note or a notebook to Export it to an *.enex file on your computer which could later be imported on the Mac or Windows clients.

Premium accounts can also access previous versions of a note in case you accidentally overwrite something important within one of your notes:

http://blog.evernote.com/2010/04/14/new ... 0mb-notes/

So, it's absolutely okay for me to delete the original source file after attaching it to an Evernote note?

And I attach at lot of zip files to my notes - they end up in the Evernote database, too, don't they? So I can delete the original zip safely?

Archived