Evernote for Mac v6.8 Released (Official Thread)

EvernoteAlex

Idea

Hi all,

I’m pleased to announce the release of Evernote for Mac v6.8!

Please reply to this post and let us know how you like it!  And if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

You can download the new version here or from within the app. Please note that the new version is now available to users of the Direct Download version of Evernote, and will be available within a few business days to users of the Mac App Store version.

New
• Google Drive integration! Now you can add docs, slides, sheets, and files from Google Drive as attachments or descriptive links without leaving Evernote. Links are formatted as clickable objects when you attach Google Drive files, making them easy to find in a note. 
• Evernote Business users, connect your Salesforce account and save Evernote business card notes directly to Salesforce as Leads or Contacts via the Share menu! 
• A new notebook sharing experience makes it easier to share a notebook and manage permissions.
• Find your deleted notes more easily via the trash icon in the sidebar.

Fixed
• A bug preventing people from connecting an Evernote account with a LinkedIn account is now fixed. Connect your accounts, and business card notes you create with the ScanSnap Evernote Edition Scanner will automatically include your contact’s LinkedIn profile info and photo.
• A bug preventing people from changing a notebook name from uppercase to lowercase and vice versa is fixed.
• A bug in Evernote Helper that made text show up as partially cut off is fixed.
• A bug that sometimes caused screenshots captured via Evernote Helper to include the Helper menu is fixed.
• Spotlight integration is improved.
• We've made ongoing improvements to stability and sync performance.

Cheers,
Alex

46 replies to this idea

One new problem; two persistent problems:

NEW: Switching between accounts crashes the app (error message pops up saying there's a problem switching between accounts). I'm careful to switch after sync has completed. (As soon as I migrate content from the second account into the first, I'll be cancelling that subscription, but in the meantime, it occurs every time I switch accounts, regardless of which direction.)

OLD: Paste pdf -or- annotate attachment zips you to the top of the note, instead of keeping you in place (not a problem on iOS).

OLD: Quitting EN triggers a warning window saying an attachment is still open in another application (it's not). Sadly, this "Chicken Little" warning has been going on so long, I no longer take it seriously. I fear that one of these days, a file may be damaged as a result....

19 hours ago, Velgor said:

And to top this BS off, the app interrupted my work to ask me to rate it. Are you people dense?

@Velgor

Please be respectful when posting in this forum. This is a community where our users come together to help each other and express opinions, however we will not tolerate abuse or degradation of our users or employees in this forum.  Thank you.

Our development team is aware of this issue and is working on a fix. Please see the thread in the Mac Help section below:

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Rebeeca said:

I downloaded it from the website and it will migrate to the new version and then it just crashes.  Every single time I open it.  <sigh> How do I get the old version back? Attached is my MACBOOK Specs.

I'll jump in since you didn't get a response.

First, reboot your machine.  It sometimes resolves various problems.

My process would be to delete the database and let it be restored from the Evernote servers.

Note - the rebuild does not include local notebooks

"Save to Contacts" feature in business card notes does not work for me on the Mac desktop version of Evernote (6.8), running OS 10.11.6. The contacts will not appear in my Contacts Address Book after repeated attempts with multiple cards. However, this feature works properly in iOS.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 2.35.14 PM.png

On 7/24/2016 at 8:16 AM, DTLow said:

I didn't see a reply to this, so I'll jump in.

Thank you DTLow!  

Worked like a charm - and I have no local notebooks so no problem with that.  

Looks like everything is there.

FYI: I found edits I made via the web after the upgrade date would appear in the Desktop App... but none of the old Notes ever showed up (until your solution).  

28 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'll jump in since you didn't get a response.

First, reboot your machine.  It sometimes resolves various problems.

My process would be to delete the database and let it be restored from the Evernote servers.

Note - the rebuild does not include local notebooks

Thanks for catching that and jumping in @DTLow.

@Rebeeca - if you haven't already, can you submit a support ticket (via the link in my signature) and let me know the ticket number? I'd definitely like to get this into a ticket so that we can take a look at your activity log. Thanks!

7 hours ago, BSR said:

Thanks for catching that and jumping in @DTLow.

@Rebeeca - if you haven't already, can you submit a support ticket (via the link in my signature) and let me know the ticket number? I'd definitely like to get this into a ticket so that we can take a look at your activity log. Thanks!

When I get home, I will.  I am gonna try the suggestions first.  Thanks!

Thanks for adding the Google Drive integration!  As someone who uses GD for most everything I do, it's a welcomed change.  In addition to being able to link multiple Google accounts, it would be helpful if your interface could display the same organizational structure that exists in my 'My Drive' tab.  I'm a professor and I use Google Drive to manage all of my students' work, which means I have hundreds of subfolders in My Drive, all carefully organized into top-level folders.  The only way this interface will work for me is to keyword-search what I'm looking for, otherwise I have to scroll through an endless list of folders that are in no particular order. 

Regardless, this is a great upgrade and I love the idea of Google Drive integration.

Thank you

Hi,

Google Drive integration is awesome... I've found it helpful so far...

Couple of issues/ideas:

1. Sometimes the link doesn't appear properly (as no PDF or WORD logo and it appears grayscale not colour)

2. It would be cool if the imbedded link from google drive (and elsewhere for that matter) opened in Evernote rather than opening a separate browser tab... It's not much but its inefficient if you just want a quick look at a link rather than opening it up in a seperate app...

Thanks

Dave

On 24 July 2016 at 8:04 PM, adorno's gray said:

Yes: None of the preferences stick. I do not care to see 'shortcuts', 'recent notes' and 'upgrade your team', and thus must be removed each time I open evernote.

I have the opposite problem. I want to see Recent Notes in the Sidebar but, as I reported already back when v6.8b1 came out, they are re-deselected in Sidebar Options every time I restart EN. 

One would have hoped that these bugs could have been fixed before new versions move out of beta to full updates. Surely one of the functions of this forum is to help the development team identify bugs. Perhaps, before rushing out new full versions, the team should pay more attention to problems we draw their attention to.

I just did the upgrade and I am seeing something weird.

When I drag a note from 1 notebook to another.

The note does not visibly move.

It DOES say that it is in the new notebook.

The "count" of notes in the notebooks get update

When I LEAVE the notebook and return it is fine

This seems to be a new bug

Thank you Evernote team for the Google Drive integration!

It would be ideal if the view matched the nested folder structure of Google Drive, and if there was a way to enable a preview of docs/sheets when attached to a note, but otherwise it is perfect!

On 7/21/2016 at 6:10 AM, EvernoteAlex said:

Please reply to this post and let us know how you like it!  And if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

On 7/21/2016 at 6:10 AM, EvernoteAlex said:

New
• Google Drive integration! Now you can add docs, slides, sheets, and files from Google Drive as attachments or descriptive links without leaving Evernote. Links are formatted as clickable objects when you attach Google Drive files, making them easy to find in a note.

Is there a way to insert multiple files from Google Drive as attachments or links rather than clicking on the Drive icon, searching for the right folder or file and attaching files from there one at a time?

If you could add a recently opened folder tab on the side of the Drive preview, it would make things work out faster rather than having users to search for files to be attached from the same folder in certain situations. Please enable multi-file-select to attach the files/links.

Does anyone have a quick and easy workaround for this?

EDIT: For the time being, I think I will use my Google Drive desktop folder to drag the files I need into Evernote. And I just wanted to test out Evernote's oft-so-heard search feature and I must say WOW - Evernote can actually read my awful handwriting. I'm stunned.

Man, people are harsh. Keep up the good work guys. I like that you're back on track focused on building a Notepad app. It's really coming together.

As a developer, I'd like to see more support for code formatting, specifically formatting a single phrase without having to use a full-width panel. In markdown, it would be something like this: The `Form.form_class` displays a form.  

In addition, I like that you're integrating with Google Apps, but I often find myself wondering if I should use Evernote, Word, or Excel. If you made advancements with table features, I think it would greatly alleviate the decision making process.

Keep it up!

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, grokpot said:

As a developer, I'd like to see more support for code formatting, specifically formatting a single phrase without having to use a full-width panel. In markdown, it would be something like this: The `Form.form_class` displays a form.  

I think there are a lot of great directions EN could go with this, but rather than building it into the core product, I'd like to see extensions that support markdown, html, various programming languages, etc. I wouldn't use 99% of it, but would use markdown. Others may not give a flip about markdown but would use it for coding so their languages format was shown and syntax was highlighted.

And for those that didn't want any of it, then it isn't in the core product, so no big deal. 

Open it up for third parties to provide the extensions, and have it works seamlessly on a Mac or PC, and perhaps an iPad since those are getting so powerful now.

there are still issues with advanced date searches that work on my PC but NOT ON MY MAC!!!

This is the search that I can run successfully on my PC but not my Mac

notebook:"Actions Pending" tag:phone -reminderTime:day+1

Can you please fix it?

Also can you please add the ability to add the columns for "reminder time" and "reminder done" for the Mac version?

• Level 5*
On September 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM, jerrylee said:

there are still issues with advanced date searches that work on my PC but NOT ON MY MAC!!!

This is the search that I can run successfully on my PC but not my Mac

Can you please fix it?

Also can you please add the ability to add the columns for "reminder time" and "reminder done" for the Mac version?

works for me after I changed the notebook and tag to values I use

You can download the new version here or from within the app. Please note that the new version is now available to users of the Direct Download version of Evernote, and will be available within a few business days to users of the Mac App Store version.

I decided to download v. 6.8 from the "here" link shown above, as for some reason I wasn't prompted to upgrade (from 6.5.1) when I opened Evernote.

What distinction does the above refer to -- i.e., what is the "Direct Download" version as opposed to the "Mac App Store version"?

Also, when I used the Mac's Software Update to bring up the 'update version' dialog box within Evernote, the download kept aborting.  Any idea why?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, mkraft77 said:

I decided to download v. 6.8 from the "here" link shown above, as for some reason I wasn't prompted to upgrade (from 6.5.1) when I opened Evernote.

What distinction does the above refer to -- i.e., what is the "Direct Download" version as opposed to the "Mac App Store version"?

You're a little late; current version is 6.9+, and 6.10 is in beta testing

Evernote maintains two version of the softare
- Direct download from the Evernote site (https://evernote.com/download/)
- Download via the Mac Application store; changes mandated by Apple

>>Also, when I used the Mac's Software Update to bring up the 'update version' dialog box within Evernote, the download kept aborting.  Any idea why?

I don't spend much time troubleshooting my devices.  My solution steps are:

1. Reboot my device; it often solves the problem
  2. Delete the app and the database; Download and Reinstall the App and let the database be rebuilt from the servers
    Warning: the rebuild does not include local notebooks or unsynced notes

You're a little late; current version is 6.9+, and 6.10 is in beta testing

Thanks.  Should have mentioned that since I'm running OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks), EN 6.8 is the last version I can use.

Re: the two download options, I did the 'Direct' download, so that's the version I now have installed.  Do I need to be concerned about "changes … mandated by Apple"?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, mkraft77 said:

Thanks.  Should have mentioned that since I'm running OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks), EN 6.8 is the last version I can use.

Re: the two download options, I did the 'Direct' download, so that's the version I now have installed.  Do I need to be concerned about "changes … mandated by Apple"?

Good point about the OS version

A good rule of thumb is to use the Mac App Store and avoid direct downloads - it adds a level of oversight
However I trust the Evernote software, and I use the direct downloads

Some of the Apple mandated changes
- sandboxing - I know this messes up my Applescripts
- database location
- delay in upgrading because of Apple reviews

• Level 5*

I will download tonight. Thanks!

Not seeing anything about fixing the bug where merged notes are not merged in the order selected. Was that fixed?

Awesome! I have been waiting for this version as I use Google Apps just as much as I do Evernote. For me everything works as expected - great!

But with every new functionality you give us, we always want more. And I want to be able to connect more than one (one private, and one for work) Google account to my Evernote account. Have you any plans for that? I would like to avoid to fiddle with Google sharing of my work files, to be able to access them from Evernote.

• Level 5*

When Copying Note Links, the menu item previously retrieved a classic / browser-private link
To force a classic link you hold down the option key.

This is still true for single notes
For multiple notes, the menu item says Copy Classic Note Links.  There is no option to retrieve browser-private links.

I actually never had a need for the browser-private link and am not missing it.

I just upgraded and after the restart of Evernote 6.8 - all notes/notebooks are gone, rather don't appear (still there when I go to the Web) - refresh sync doesn't help.

I've logged out and back in, restarted Evernote... no joy.  

I'm on the free version and this is on 1 of the 2 devices I'm permitted with the free version.

Any ideas?

On 7/21/2016 at 5:04 AM, RMK said:

Awesome! I have been waiting for this version as I use Google Apps just as much as I do Evernote. For me everything works as expected - great!

But with every new functionality you give us, we always want more. And I want to be able to connect more than one (one private, and one for work) Google account to my Evernote account. Have you any plans for that? I would like to avoid to fiddle with Google sharing of my work files, to be able to access them from Evernote.

Agree with RMK - similar to the ease of using multiple notebooks within Evernote for biz and personal, quite a few folks use Google Apps for both biz and personal.  Look forward to the "expanded" functionality of multiple google apps accounts.  

Great job getting this going for the Mac OSX!!!  Thank you!!

4 hours ago, Velgor said:

The sidebar is busted, again. Preferences don't stick. Yet another reason why I'm unlikely to continue my account. Ridiculous.

I am also having the same issue, which I did not have prior to the upgrade. When will this be fixed?

1 hour ago, akrasna said:

I just did the upgrade and I am seeing something weird.

When I drag a note from 1 notebook to another.

The note does not visibly move.

It DOES say that it is in the new notebook.

The "count" of notes in the notebooks get update

When I LEAVE the notebook and return it is fine

This seems to be a new bug

This happened to me when I first upgraded but I ignored it and chalked it up to me running the Mac OS beta as well. It ended working itself out. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, cmj05sc said:

How do I update from within the app Mac app?

First, note there are two versions

1) Dowloaded from the Apple software store

2) Downloaded directly Evernote

The Apple Store version can only be updated when Apple pushes out the upgrade

The direct dowload version has menu buttons to trigger an update

• Level 5*
On July 21, 2016 at 2:14 PM, SteveMacCabe said:

I just upgraded and after the restart of Evernote 6.8 - all notes/notebooks are gone, rather don't appear (still there when I go to the Web) - refresh sync doesn't help.

I've logged out and back in, restarted Evernote... no joy.  

I'm on the free version and this is on 1 of the 2 devices I'm permitted with the free version.

Any ideas?

I didn't see a reply to this, so I'll jump in.
My process would be to not spend a lot of time trouble shooting this.
I would first restart my Mac; this often resolves a lot of issues
I would just deleted the database, and let EN rebuild it from the web server (warning - does not include local notebooks).

To locate the database, I go to Evernote > About Evernote, and hold down the option key
A link leads me to my database folder (1156250) and I simply move the folder to my desktop, and then delete it afterwards

• Level 5*
On July 22, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Velgor said:

The sidebar is busted, again. Preferences don't stick. Yet another reason why I'm unlikely to continue my account. Ridiculous.

On July 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM, adorno's gray said:

I am also having the same issue, which I did not have prior to the upgrade. When will this be fixed?

@Velgor @adorno  Do you any specific preferences not sticking.

The only issue I noticed was the "Upgrade Your Team" in the sidebar.  There are options to remove it, but it returns.  Its not an big issue for me, I barely notice it; however for some users, it makes them ?

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

@Velgor @adorno  Do you any specific preferences not sticking.

The only issue I noticed was the "Upgrade Your Team" in the sidebar.  There are options to remove it, but it returns.  Its not an big issue for me, I barely notice it; however for some users, it makes them ?

Yes: None of the preferences stick. I do not care to see 'shortcuts', 'recent notes' and 'upgrade your team', and thus must be removed each time I open evernote.

I have the same problems as reported above:

I'm still being asked to upgrade my imaginary team. Yep, I'm one those users who gets ? about this.

Sidebar preferences don't stick. I need to re-hide Recent Notes every time I open the app.

On July 24, 2016 at 1:04 PM, adorno's gray said:

This is an embarrassing regression. Evernote experienced the same issues the last time someone had the bright idea to mess with the sidebar. Due to muscle memory, this has destroyed my productivity. Their UAT team/person/chimp should be fired.

I downloaded it from the website and it will migrate to the new version and then it just crashes.  Every single time I open it.  <sigh> How do I get the old version back? Attached is my MACBOOK Specs.

Thanks!!

About_This_Mac.png

Archived