I Hate Evernote

Dear Evernote,

I had premium. I was an avid user of Evernote for years and now the program is so clunky I cannot stand it. It thinks it knows me better than I know myself. This never worked in any relationship I've been in, and now I think ours is over for good.  

I'm a writer and a filmmaker and I work on multiple projects that I liked organized into "notebooks." Now my notebooks have been undermined. The whole point of Evernote was that it was easy and quick. Now when I open my phone app it takes at least 4 buttons to write anything down. Notes are favored over Notebooks, notebook stacks are completely garbage, and the organization is atrocious. 

The last straw was today when I was writing in a very important note I still use to hold personal information. When I used the search bar and entered the title of the note it popped up like it usually did. Then I began writing IN THE NOTE. Meanwhile, Evernote kept searching and decided I must have actually meant a different note, a note where the search word was in the body rather than the title. It SWITCHED me over to a receipt as I was in the middle of writing.  I was already writing on the correct note and it F'nG MOVED ME!! The note I was writing on disappeared and I had to look at a receipt. It appears Evernote was able to read the screenshot image and favored the word it found there over the title of my note.

Then, when I re-searched using the original search word (again, this was the title of my note and what I've used for years) my note would not come up! I found the note but Evernote had CHANGED THE TITLE OF MY NOTE. Apparently they wanted a less generic word as the title. 

Then Evernote advertises stuff to me "Related to this note" based on what it mines from my notes. This is very uncomfortable and NOT AT ALL WHY I WANT THIS PROGRAM. How would Evernote possibly know what I want to buy based on a fictional story I'm writing!?

I'm even angrier because you are forcing me to post this publicly. There is no way for me to contact your support service and tell you my frustrations personally; I am forced to write it in the forums. 

Evernote, goodbye. 

• Level 5*
On July 19, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Wytown said:

Evernote, goodbye. 

Any chance of you sharing which product you're switching to?

• Level 5

Wytown, that's certainly bizarre and very problematic. Here's the link for Evernote support (as in DTLow's signature): https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action. You have to click through a few choices to get the Submit ticket button (be sure you're logged in when you start).

The related stuff that Evernote shows is called "Context," and you should be able to turn it off from the Settings.

One further thought, on getting started more quickly with a note: the Evernote widgets will give you quick access to a notebook of your choice, and can be configured to start writing a text (or other type note) instantly.

On 7/19/2016 at 0:51 PM, Wytown said:

How would Evernote possibly know what I want to buy based on a fictional story I'm writing!?

Evernote shows your own related notes... and other news sources. They don't prompt you to buy stuff. Also, all of this can be turned off. 

Re: your relationship metaphor... In any relationship, I'd hope that one would try to get to know or express some interest in the other... so maybe you should get to know Evernote a tad more... the options you have... and whether or not you're afflicted by a strange bug, the relationship would not be as hopeless as you imagine it to be. 

• 4 months later...

Every time I open firefox it takes me to a new tab selling Evernote web clipping.  I am furious. It take my time, interrups my chain of thought, and I hate advertizing.  This is so offensive that I am in the process of LEAVING evernote.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Emanon10 said:

Every time I open firefox it takes me to a new tab selling Evernote web clipping.  I am furious. It take my time, interrups my chain of thought, and I hate advertizing.  This is so offensive that I am in the process of LEAVING evernote.

Maybe you should report this in the Evernote web clipper Product Feedback Forum... 

• Level 5
5 hours ago, Emanon10 said:

Evernote's Web Clipper is free, so it's not selling it to you; but the popup tab does sound extremely annoying. This thread isn't really related to that topic, but something similar has been discussed recently relating specifically to PDFs, in a couple of threads:

Also in this post and the ones following it: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86117-web-clipper-popups/?do=findComment&comment=438552.

Archived