Hi

I think the title says it all.

I understand that the present mode exists but it isn't exactly suited for reading. After recently upgrading to premium I have started keeping pdfs and articles in evernote and when trying to read them I try to maximize my reading space. The Present mode does not work with pdfs as I cannot change pages while I am in present mode. 

On 7/18/2016 at 10:32 PM, Aseem Bansal said:

Hi

I think the title says it all.

I understand that the present mode exists but it isn't exactly suited for reading. After recently upgrading to premium I have started keeping pdfs and articles in evernote and when trying to read them I try to maximize my reading space. The Present mode does not work with pdfs as I cannot change pages while I am in present mode. 

I fully support this and agree. Opening up notes in their own window is not as good but its something. Speaking of that it would be nicer if we had option to open in tabs instead of new windows and for light/sepia/dark modes for reading. From what I understand their technology is not that different than one found in web browsers and if students in their lunch break can make extensions for Firefox for example that do that, I'm sure the team at Evernote can give us something along those lines. Until the team at evernote changes their policy and explains to the paying users such as myself why this is not possible or when it will be, I reserve my right to be a disgruntled user. After all they took the liberty to raise prices with no new features added. Seems only fair to demand compensation or at least reassurance that something is being developed and when it is expected to be done.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Krunoslav said:

I fully support this and agree. Opening up notes in their own window is not as good but its something. Speaking of that it would be nicer if we had option to open in tabs instead of new windows and for light/sepia/dark modes for reading. From what I understand their technology is not that different than one found in web browsers and if students in their lunch break can make extensions for Firefox for example that do that, I'm sure the team at Evernote can give us something along those lines. Until the team at evernote changes their policy and explains to the paying users such as myself why this is not possible or when it will be, I reserve my right to be a disgruntled user. After all they took the liberty to raise prices with no new features added. Seems only fair to demand compensation or at least reassurance that something is being developed and when it is expected to be done.

As a fellow forum user, I'd make a suggestion: if you want new features (like dark mode or tabbed interface, that seem to be only loosely related to the initial suggestion), then you should probably consider finding existing suggestions here in the feedback forum for those ideas, and upvote them, or create new ones yourself. That way they can be independently discussed and voted on by other users, and hopefully give Evernote a clearer idea of what users want most.

One thing about the Windows client: although it uses web browser technology to display notes, its UI is not itself based on a web browser, and its programming is still done using standard Windows native APIs last time i checked, so it may not be quite to accomplishable on the developer lunch breaks. While I can see the usefulness of the tabbed view case, I'm also thinking that they'd need to be careful not to cause a confusing mess when sorting out how that would all work with their existing UI, which has a strong tie between the note lis (as exhibited by the various options for note views)t and the single note window in the main application.

21 minutes ago, jefito said:

As a fellow forum user, I'd make a suggestion: if you want new features (like dark mode or tabbed interface, that seem to be only loosely related to the initial suggestion), then you should probably consider finding existing suggestions here in the feedback forum for those ideas, and upvote them, or create new ones yourself. That way they can be independently discussed and voted on by other users, and hopefully give Evernote a clearer idea of what users want most.

One thing about the Windows client: although it uses web browser technology to display notes, its UI is not itself based on a web browser, and its programming is still done using standard Windows native APIs last time i checked, so it may not be quite to accomplishable on the developer lunch breaks. While I can see the usefulness of the tabbed view case, I'm also thinking that they'd need to be careful not to cause a confusing mess when sorting out how that would all work with their existing UI, which has a strong tie between the note lis (as exhibited by the various options for note views)t and the single note window in the main application.

What worries me that simple features are seemingly so hard to implement. Which means either the evernote team does not put them as priority, they don't have the budget or the underlying infrastructure of Evernote. assuming that is the right expression, is severally limited. If that is the case than I cannot see how they can keep up with the competition for very long. Especially after recent big price increase.

They have just came up with Evernote 6. It does not seem to be changed in any big way under the hood. Or am I missing something? Why not build on a platform that meets the demands of the future. If they don't have the staff and budget, I can understand that. But its not the responsibility of the users. Evernote is not a new company they have been around for a while and in the tech world its really a long time. Obviously the decision makers have made some bad decisions and now the only way seems to be for them to raise prices to try to finance new development. I just hope its not a little to late.

What worries me is that the company policy has not really change when it comes to two way dialog with its users. I don't see any timeframes or milestones being mentioned which does not inspire lot of trust in company that once claimed ot be a 100 year company. The world is changing fast and Evernote is falling behind. If simple and rather obvious improvements cannot be implemented fast and if the dialogs with its users cannot be improved what is the point in requesting features that fall on deaf ears. With " 13,199 posts " you must have been long enough in these forums to know that code of silence practice so vigorously by evernote team when it comes to those things is not helping their brand.

But I digress. Adding simply reading mode would help. The reason I asked for tab interface is that it would offer the semi reading mode of "open note in new window" but with more elegance. Once there were web browsers like Internet Explorer who did not have tabs. Than Firefox came along and change that. The difference was painfully obvious how much more elegance tabs offer in navigating the ever more complex web. Evernote is right now IE. And OneNote is Firefox. ironically I might add.

But the new competition that is bound to show up any day now. will surly add those things to the feature list right from the start. If Evernote does not speed up their development process, I can assure you they will bleed both money and users. So maybe I'm opening another topic on top of original request but we all know that when an interesting thread appears that sparks interests people don't go look for another one.

Just saying...
11062261_1594891967425740_6495411286309207457_n.jpg

• Level 5*

I'm not here to digress into a discussion about how Evernote prioritizes its potential features -- that's largely a black box to us at this time. Or Evernote's future. Or the competition, such as it will or may someday become. Or yada-yada. I'm more interested in giving them better feedback as far as what features users want, and this being a sub-forum that allows voting, I'd like to keep it as focused as possible on giving them specific feedback, and not just laundry lists (which are not useful when tabulating votes). If you think that dark themes or tabbed interface are part and parcel of a reading-focused Evernote when the original post seemed to be about offering a better reading experience for PDF files, then fine, and feedback is good. But there is also a dark theme-specific topic in this subforum, and that would be a good place to add your vote, as it's really a feature not specific to Evernote-as-a-reader. I haven't found a tabbed interface specific post in here, though I know that it has been requested over the years.

43 minutes ago, jefito said:

I'm not here to digress into a discussion about how Evernote prioritizes its potential features -- that's largely a black box to us at this time. Or Evernote's future. Or the competition, such as it will or may someday become. Or yada-yada. I'm more interested in giving them better feedback as far as what features users want, and this being a sub-forum that allows voting, I'd like to keep it as focused as possible on giving them specific feedback, and not just laundry lists (which are not useful when tabulating votes). If you think that dark themes or tabbed interface are part and parcel of a reading-focused Evernote when the original post seemed to be about offering a better reading experience for PDF files, then fine, and feedback is good. But there is also a dark theme-specific topic in this subforum, and that would be a good place to add your vote, as it's really a feature not specific to Evernote-as-a-reader. I haven't found a tabbed interface specific post in here, though I know that it has been requested over the years.

Fair enough.

Archived