New Restrictions End Relationship

I've been a basic user since 2011 and I've really enjoyed the product.  I've never upgraded because my usage needs never required it.  However, that is not to say that I don't have quite a few notes and use the program quite a bit.  When you notified me that you were now limiting basic to 2 devices I was really disappointed.

I understand where you are coming from.  You're in business to make money.  I know that.  But your new policy regarding basic is essentially telling all of your users that you are converting to a strictly pay service - which you have a right to do.  But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and as a result, I will stop using your product.

One good thing has come of this.  I discovered Google Keep which is every bit as good as your service and is free.  Between it and my google drive I have now converted all of my Evernote notebooks and notes and will happily live in the google universe without you.

Thank you for clarifying that point...it was not apparent in your email announcing the new policy.  In fact, that is not at all what you stated in your announcement. 

The email stated, " you will be able to sync your notes to a maximum of 2 devices using Evernote Basic."  What exactly does that mean?  The way I read it, I will only be able to sync between two designated devices, and therefore, unless I continually authorize and de-authorize devises I can never keep Evernote synced across all of my devices.  That, for all intents and purposes, limits me to two devices.

Are you now saying that my only limitation is on being simultaneously logged on?  And therefore, I can have it on all of my devices and they will all sync when I individually log on with each device and click sync?

If that is the case, then your announcement is very misleading, and will either cause people to 1) upgrade or, 2) like me, look elsewhere.  That very well may have been intentional on the part of your marketing department or not.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, fjp said:

Are you now saying that my only limitation is on being simultaneously logged on?  And therefore, I can have it on all of my devices and they will all sync when I individually log on with each device and click sync?

It works for me - We can continue to use all our devices.  I added more details here

Just to be clear, you're posting in a user discussion forum.  We are users like yourself

Thank you again.

Reading the other posts it appears no one is quite sure what the new policy means, but regardless, I'm pretty much committed to going the Google Keep & Google Drive route.

One has to suspect that the writing is on the wall so to speak...this move very well may be the precursor of the end of evernote, or at best another restriction on basic usage and/or another price increase.  Better to switch now before I have that many more notes to migrate to another app.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, fjp said:

I'm pretty much committed to going the Google Keep & Google Drive route.

One has to suspect that the writing is on the wall so to speak...this move very well may be the precursor of the end of evernote, or at best another restriction on basic usage and/or another price increase.  Better to switch now before I have that many more notes to migrate to another app.

I don't know about Evernote's future.  The doomsayers posting in this discussion are saying the end is imminent, but nothing really informative

Regardless, one of the features I valued at EN is that I can always export my data anytime I decide to move on.  Therefor I'm in no rush 

Speaking of that, how easy is it to export your data from the OneDrive/Keep alternatives?

edit: Google Keep has a "takeout" feature with the description
You'll get a ZIP archive with HTML files for each note. The archive may also includes image and audio files. If a note doesn't have a title, the exported HTML file will use the date in the filename.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, fjp said:

Thank you for clarifying that point...it was not apparent in your email announcing the new policy.  In fact, that is not at all what you stated in your announcement. 

The email stated, " you will be able to sync your notes to a maximum of 2 devices using Evernote Basic."  What exactly does that mean?  The way I read it, I will only be able to sync between two designated devices, and therefore, unless I continually authorize and de-authorize devises I can never keep Evernote synced across all of my devices.  That, for all intents and purposes, limits me to two devices.

If that is the case, then your announcement is very misleading, and will either cause people to 1) upgrade or, 2) like me, look elsewhere.  That very well may have been intentional on the part of your marketing department or not.

You have hit the proverbial nail on the head.  Basic is still free on as many devices as you like, just two of them logged in at a time.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, fjp said:

my fear is that EN will soon be dead as the proverbial door nail.

It may happen.  I've seen many product/services die.
Its not something I fear.  I've always been prepared to pack up data and move on.

I do keep an eye on the company, and I don't put much stock in the doom phrophets in this discussion.  Most of it is just venting because of the latest account changes 

For me it is now just a matter of curiosity...I've migrated everything over to Google Keep and Google Drive and I'm be using those instead from here on out.

For those sticking with EN, I hope it survives and does well by them.

Archived