Created and Updated dates linked

Forgive me if I have this wrong, but I've only just upgrade to 6.1.x and found that when I change the created date, the updated date changes as well. While this seems logical NOW, it was not previously the case, and I have been manipulating Created Date in all my notes for years. While I can continue to do so, it's going to make Updated completely useless and redundant.

The only solution to this that makes sense to me, would be the ability to swap the values in my Created and Updated dates, and move forward with using Updated as my "management" date. I'm guessing tho, that that's not feasible?

Any thoughts and assistance appreciated.

• Level 5*

Hi.  When you change the created date of a note,  by definition you've updated it;  so I'd kind've assume that the updated date would change.  What does yours change to,  that you think is odd?

It's not that I think that it is odd now, it's just when when I began using Evernote, only Created date was exposed and "seemed" editable. So it became the date I used, and prior to this version, it could be changed in isolation.

I have been using this date as the date under which all my notes are filed, and then sorted.

Just played around with this. As you said, when I changed the created date, it changed the updated date. But I could then change the updated date without changing the created date. Double work, but you do it in the same place and it gets the job done. FYI, I am on Windows client

• Level 5*

I use side list view a lot,  with created and update columns side by side,  so I'm used to having notes showing (forinstance) 31/12/2999 as a created date,  and the (much more boring) 11/04/2016 as the update.  AFAIK it's always been the case that if you change anything about the note,  the updated date gets... updated.  No biggy.  And yes,  if you wanted to,  you could also edit the updated date - but I start to get headaches at that point.  Seems useful to me to know that the note I 'pegged' to the top of my list (sorted in created date order) was last changed a couple of months ago.  May be about time I looked at whether it needs more updating.

I wasn't advocating, just trying to help the OP. Only time I've modified a date is if I scan in a bunch of old stuff. I want the created date to reflect the date of the document. At that point, I don't really care about the updated date. I also use side list view, sorted by updated, but created is on the other side of the lists. When I first started using EN, I did a lot of resorting. Now if a quick scroll doesn't find what I'm looking for, I hit the search window. 

Point of clarification - Yes, the Update date should change to the date WHEN a note is changed - NOT to the date that you change Created date to. Surely this is a bug?

For example, I am changing my created date to a future date - say 25/12/2016 (US 12/25/2016), and my Updated date is changing to this date also, rather than today - the actual date on which it was updated.

That is my issue.

You're right, I didn't catch that. First I changed created to a date in the past and updated matched that, which is incorrect. Then I changed created to a date in the future and updated also matched it. Don't know if this is a bug or expected behavior, but you can still change the updated date without affecting the created date. Don't know if this helps

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, StopGap said:

Point of clarification - Yes, the Update date should change to the date WHEN a note is changed - NOT to the date that you change Created date to. Surely this is a bug?

For example, I am changing my created date to a future date - say 25/12/2016 (US 12/25/2016), and my Updated date is changing to this date also, rather than today - the actual date on which it was updated.

That is my issue.

Light bulb.  Yeah, I would agree it would seem logical that updated date should reflect the date/time you modified the note.  Either that or it is a special "feature".

Yeah, from a programming perspective, I don't see how they introduced this bug. It should be if any field is modified, the updated date = now. The fact that the field being modified is created shouldn't be relevent. 

Archived