Clipper works fine - but an error message every time I use it!

Simon555

The clipper is working fine for me, clipping and syncing articles perfectly. EXCEPT - 

Every single time I clip a page, my browser jumps back to that tab to show an error message saying: "The Clipper couldn't start on this page. Reload the page and try again. If that doesn't help, contact customer support."

I have no idea why it shows this because in fact the Clipper always does start on every page!

Anyone else having the same problem?

8 hours ago, Simon555 said:

The clipper is working fine for me, clipping and syncing articles perfectly. EXCEPT - 

Every single time I clip a page, my browser jumps back to that tab to show an error message saying: "The Clipper couldn't start on this page. Reload the page and try again. If that doesn't help, contact customer support."

I have no idea why it shows this because in fact the Clipper always does start on every page!

Anyone else having the same problem?

Just to make sure I understood correctly:

- In a tab, you invoke the clipper and save the clip
- You move to another tab to do more browsing
- Suddenly, you get this error message and your browser switches back to the first tab

Is that correct?

What browser/clipper versions are you using?

Thanks for your response.

That's correct, but it doesn't happen only when I change to a new tab. Even if I stay on the initial tab, the same thing happens. 

I tried clearing the cache and cookies, quitting the browser and then restarting the computer but the problem persists.

I'm using Chrome Version 51.0.2704.106 (64-bit), and Evernote Web Clipper 6.9. I think both are the latest versions.

I'm attaching a screenshot taken just now.

I really hope I can figure out how to fix this - I love Evernote but this is really killing one of the key features for me.

Thanks again for your help.

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 9.55.25 AM.png

Same issue.

Clipper works properly - opens, files, tags, and clips pages. Then serves the "<page> says: The Clipper couldn't start on this page. ..." dialog. Every time.

OS X, Chrome v 52.0.2704.106 (64-bit), Web Clipper 6.9.

Screenshot of successful clip with error dialog attached.

Screenshot 2016-07-18 10.57.34.png

I have the same problem as Simon555 since 3 or 4 weeks. I'm using the last version of Chrome in 64 Bits, on Mac OSX 10.11.6 and Windows 10 and the last version of the Clipper.

I deleted my Chrome profile and create a new one, and the clipper continues to display the message and the capture is upside-down. It happens in 80% of the times...

It's the feature Evernote I use the most... Please, do something, it's turning me mad!

Thanks for all the helpful screenshots. Are you using the keyboard shortcut or pressing the Evernote button?

One way to reproduce the issue with the keyboard shortcut is to press it a second time before the Web Clipper opens up.  Sometimes it also happens when I double click (instead of single click) the Evernote icon.

Rubenb - I only ever use the keyboard shortcut. The problem doesn't seem to appear on double-clicks. The error message has popped up both when running a single clip, and when running instances of the clipper in multiple tabs.

Hi Ruben

Good question - it seems to happen only when I use the keyboard shortcut (and I've tried changing the keyboard shortcut to different key combinations, the problem always recurs).

It doesn't seem to happen when I click the icon.

But having the keyboard shortcut is much more convenient and I'm sure we'd all love to be able to use it, especially now we'll be paying a bit more for the service :)

On 7/23/2016 at 9:03 AM, Simon555 said:

Hi Ruben

Good question - it seems to happen only when I use the keyboard shortcut (and I've tried changing the keyboard shortcut to different key combinations, the problem always recurs).

It doesn't seem to happen when I click the icon.

But having the keyboard shortcut is much more convenient and I'm sure we'd all love to be able to use it, especially now we'll be paying a bit more for the service :)

Thanks for the feedback. We'll fix the keyboard issue.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same issue with Chrome for a few months now. It happens so regularly that I've gotten in the habit of automatically hitting enter after hitting the shortcut. Seems to only happen when using the keyboard shortcut - the button works fine. The problem is I like the shortcut more than the button.

Also, the little screens that usually appears after hitting save (clipping…, synchronizing…) don't always appear anymore, although the page is saved.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived