Autocorrect is KILLING Me

mjk123

Idea

I'm getting incredibly tired of fighting with Evernote autocorrect on my Mac. Everytime I use Evernote in techy meetings, or heaven forbid, when I have to write down someones name or an street address I feel like I"m wrestling my computer to actually type WTF I want to type.  So many of my notes are RUINED because you annoyingly replaced names or acronyms with stupid words that leave my notes meaningless.   I can't find a place to turn off auto-correct. Sometimes I'm looking for the hidden webcam that will broadcast me correcting the same word 3-10 times, each time finding the word replaced when I hit the space bar.  

I'm demoming one note and hopefully it's better because I can't keep fighting my computer to say what I want to say.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I am relatively new to the Mac. Is this an Evernote issue or a Mac issue? IOW, would the same inane replacements happen in Word or Pages? Is there a place in the mac to turn it off? (My mac is at home, so cannot peruse the settings)

Yeah, but it keep insisting to correct stuff I write. The OS autocorrects gets it if I insist that what I write is true but Evernote keeps going back and correcting no matter how many times I delete and type again what I want the text to be.

For example. I have a friend name "Sagi". If I type Sagi, it corrects it to Sage. I delete the 'e' and type 'i'. It corrects it to Sage again. I delete the 'e' and type 'i' and it corrects it to Sage again. In an endless cycle of annoyance and frustration.

This is NOT THE MAC OS BEHAVIOR. Go to Notes and try it. After the first correction it stops assuming that it knows better than I do.

EVERNOTE, PLEASE FIX THIS!

It's killing me, too. Evernote autocorrects a word, I back up and revert to my own spelling, and then Evernote re-autocorrects the word back to their original suggestion. 

I'm a wine and food writer, so use a lot of foreign language words and technical terms that aren't in the standard OS dictionary. I've told Evernote to "learn spelling" on many words, but I run into this problem with nearly every tasting note I write. It is utterly infuriating and wastes my time.

Please, please keep my spelling if I've already gone back and re-typed it.

When I go to edit --> spelling and grammar --> I cant uncheck autocorrect, it is not highlighted. I dont want to turn auto- correct off for pages. Just ever not bc autocorrect in evernot ereally really really sucks. How do I do this without turning off auto correct on my whole mac. Or do i need to just get rid of evernote and find something better.

Archived