Showing preview of linked note

I am comprising a note of notes which is analogous to a directory where each element is another directory under it or a leaf level note. I would like to accomplish either of two things:

1. By default to display the beginning of the content of the listed sub note (e.g. X number of beginning characters)  in the parent note or

2. On mouse over a sub note in the parent note, to pop a small popup with a preview similar to the above

Are either one of these two possible?

Essentially, I am trying to use Evernote to create a hyperlinked directory of contents where there are more levels in the hierarchy than just notebook/note, in other words, more like a directory structure in an OS.  The functionality I am asking for would help me see a short preview of what is in the children from a parent note.

I am already linking child listings in a parent note to its own note and that works great.

• Level 5*

Not available in EN today, AFAIK.  Probably more than you want, but if you hold the shift key while pressing the link the linked note will open in its own window.  Not really a preview for sure.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, creekwise said:

1. By default to display the beginning of the content of the listed sub note (e.g. X number of beginning characters)  in the parent note or

2. On mouse over a sub note in the parent note, to pop a small popup with a preview similar to the above

Are either one of these two possible?

Nothing in Evernote currently.  You can present it as a feature request but I can't see getting much support for it.

One workaround I see is that you can paste images to go along with the child note

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Keep your eyes and ears open for an upcoming 3rd-party Evernote App called Crusoe. It's note-linking/ preview capabilities might just be up your alley.

Have you had a chance to beta test this?  Just wondering how it differs from Context.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Keep your eyes and ears open for an upcoming 3rd-party Evernote App called Crusoe. It's note-linking/ preview capabilities might just be up your alley.

Sounds interesting...  please give us a headsup when things start to happen!!

Archived