A little sync disaster that shouldn't have happened?

I have Evernote installed in three devices: My laptop, a tablet and my mobile phone. As per the new "2 devices only" policy I was happy to have it on my phone and laptop only and was going to delete the app from the tablet, but yesterday by mistake I tried to access one of my notes from the ipad. As I rarely opened Evernote from that device it contained a very old version of the note I was trying to access. For some reason it didn't sync to the newest version of the list and I closed the app. Today I tried to open that same note on my laptop and guess? It was the OLD version from the tablet. It's the same with the phone.

Long story short, I lost my main to-do list because an old version that wasn't supposed to sync anymore somehow managed to sync into all the newest versions from my other devices? Please would anyone be so kind to let me know where I went wrong here and if there is anything I can do to recover that old version from the list? I cannot upgrade to get the old version because (a) from what I think this sync shouldn't even have happened and (b) right now it's just not financially possible. Thanks for any help. 

• Level 5*

You can upgrade for one month to get the note back.  Otherwise you would need to get it from any backups you may have created.  And, you aren't limited to two devices with the new Basic plan, just two concurrent devices.  You would have to log out of one to access a third.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Emmaleth said:

Please would anyone be so kind to let me know where I went wrong here and if there is anything I can do to recover that old version from the list?

It sounds like yesterday, when you did access the note on your iPad, you did something to the note to trigger the updated date to change to that day and then the note "did" sync to the server.  Since the ipad note now has a newer date than the note on the server it replaced the copy there.  I have found the best way to avoid these sync issues is to always manually sync a device when I first use it and then later when I am done using it.

As @csihilling mentioned the Evernote servers take a backup a few times a day for all accounts.  Premium users have access to this note history.  Sign up for one month of premium to access note history and you can retrieve a backup copy of the note you want.

Archived