Adding new tags in Evernote for iPad

Go to solution Solved by amanda_h,

• Solution

Hi @13thmoon,

You can add a new tag to a note on your iPad by tapping the "i" information icon located underneath the note title to the right, then tap Add Tag. Tapping the icon will allow you to add an existing tag, tapping the Add Tag text will allow you to add a brand new tag.

I hope that helps!

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Rachelcp4 said:

I am now having a problem adding a new tag to any IOS devices with the 8.0 update? I can add existing ones but not a new one. Help please. 

You can add new tags in two  places

- tag management screen in user settings 

- info button in the notes screen; select Add Tag

37 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can add new tags in two  places

- tag management screen in user settings 

- info button in the notes screen; select Add Tag

Under Account>Settings>Manage tags, by swiping left on the tag name, you can trash or add the tag to Shortcuts. Unfortunately, there is not a way to add a tag to the tags list. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Dwh23 said:

yes and I don't see how to create a new tag

You are correct - It looks like the only place is at the note level

Tag management is becoming more of an oxymoron in IOS

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Dwh23 said:

and at the note level, I can only add tags that already exist in the list.  I can't create a "new" tag.  Can you create a "new" tag

I can click on Add Tag to add a tag

If I click on the +, I can only use existing tags

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dwh23 said:

finally, yes. type the characters for the tag then hit the return button, not the + to add your newly created tag.   Thanks @csihilling, but I still could not get it until I tried the return button.  

You are welcome.  Yeah, my bad, I implied a return (add) but was not specific.  Glad it worked.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, nanci said:

I do not see any tappable "add tag" nor "return" on keyboard. it says "search"... is it, maybe a pro feature, so I don't have it as basic member?

Its done at the note levelIMG_1573.PNG.dd109b807cb38bc65a7880c89b331a24.PNG

You click on the info button (circled i) and see Add Tag

On 23/01/2017 at 10:33 PM, Dwh23 said:

finally, yes. type the characters for the tag then hit the return button, not the + to add your newly created tag.   Thanks @csihilling, but I still could not get it until I tried the return button.  

Thanks Dwh23, I thought that I was losing my marbles until you stumbled across the remedy by accident! I have spent about an hour trying to create a tag on a note :(

• 3 weeks later...

For iPhone users:

I had trouble understanding above comments. I was able to add new comment like this:

-open new or existing note

-click "(i)" button (little round button top right)

-Click where it says  "Add tag"

- >  This is a text entry field, your keyboard will open

- >  Do not use the "(+)" button, that's for adding existing tags

-Type the name of your new tag

- >  Do not click the "(+)" button, or the "Close" link

- >  On the keyboard CLICK RETURN to create the new tag

- >  Then you can click "Close" link to go back to note

Done :)

I was struggling with this too, and then I realized that I cannot add a new tag to a note that has been shared with me by somebody else. How I dealt with this was to duplicate the note move it to one of my own notebooks and then go to that notebook and the add tag works perfectly.  When you are  in the shared notebook it doesn't matter whether you tap the plus sign or "add tag", it only allows you to choose from existing tags. Hope that helps. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, StilMan said:

I was struggling with this too, and then I realized that I cannot add a new tag to a note that has been shared with me by somebody else.

Tags in shared notebooks is a different discussion

Regarding your solution of duplicating the note; instead, you might create a new note that contains a link to the shared note

• 1 year later...

My issue is when I am viewing a page on my iPad and want to forward to Evernote and use a new Tag... I can’t see how to add a new tag when in this dialogue box. When I click on “no tags selected” I get a list of existing tags but don’t get the option to add a new one?

51084DAF-BEFC-49DB-AFDB-7DD46F4D7B3D.jpeg

• Level 5*
On 6/7/2018 at 12:03 AM, LucyBeck said:

My issue is when I am viewing a page on my iPad and want to forward to Evernote and use a new Tag... I can’t see how to add a new tag when in this dialogue box. When I click on “no tags selected” I get a list of existing tags but don’t get the option to add a new one?

You're posting into a different discussion.

The IOS share feature allows sending web pages to Evernote.  You can select from existing notebooks/tags; there is no create option.

You will have to create the tags in follow up processing.

• 10 months later...

This is my first and probably only post I’ll make to these forums, but I love that this entire thread exists because of poor UI. I’ve literally assumed that you couldn’t add new tags in iOS for a year because of a bad design decision.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JD Santos said:

This is my first and probably only post I’ll make to these forums

Welcome to the forums.

Keep at it; there are a few other problem areas to discover and post about. 🙂

• Level 5

For me it is a problem to understand this thread:

1st it says there is a fundamental problem where I never encountered one. I am working with the iOS EN app since 2017, I am „iPad mostly“ (plus some stuff on the Win10-client, and I am a standard user, always updating OS and apps to the latest official release, not using betas.

I never ever had a problem to create a new tag to a note on my iPad, and all of my iOS tags were passed on to the tag database of my EN account. My workflow is documented in the screenshots below.

2nd it says stuff about bad GUI etc. Sorry, every app has its own concept of where things are, and how things work. I have installed EN on my devices, I‘ve worked myself through the initial feed they send you when you open your account, and I‘ve invested a normal amount of time and effort into learning the tool I decided to use. There is nothing about a bad GUI around here ! The main GUI-issue I would like to have fixed is that the different clients are different, and that some lack functions I like to use on other clients. But this is similar with other programs (lets pick Office 365 as an example) - they are not the same with Win, Mac and iOS as well. 

So I would say: Let us solve real issues, be it bugs or missing functions.

Now to the workflow: Adding tags to notes with the iOS-EN-app is perfectly possible, and simple to do:

1) Open a note (can be from wherever, my example came though sending a note from my mail account via e-mail), or create a new one. The existing tags in this note and the assignment to a notebook were created when sending the e-mail, using the „@„ notebook and # „with tags“ additions to the e-mail-header. Now I did add another tag to the existing one for showing how.

2) click to the „I-in-a-circle“ symbol top right (a tag is an additional information, so why „bad GUI“ ?)

3) Place the cursor where the word are spelled „Schlagwort eingeben“ (which in German means „Enter Tag“, not really hard to understand what this may be for), and enter the tag you want to create. If there is a tag beginning with the same letters, it will be shown as a proposal. But if you continue typing, and the old tag is different now, the proposal will disappear, and you get a new tag literal in this very place.

4) Hit „Return“

The new tag is assigned. This is still local, because in iOS the note will only be saved on closing it.

5) Repeat as often as you wish to set another new tag, or hit the „+-in-a-circle“ in that same line to open the list of existing tags, and pick from there.

6) When through with tagging and editing, close the note. This will transfer the changes into the EN database, including the newly created tag.

SO WHERE THE HELL IS THERE ANY PROBLEM ???

7F84D1FE-BD1D-4458-9115-653E9FF77D81.thumb.jpeg.e58e5928aba59f65cae1c228dac4a3b1.jpeg

CA9D49C5-ECB8-42EF-AF68-6614B55D4B74.thumb.jpeg.4ddc79623451571486e21316b716b45c.jpeg

• 7 months later...

There is still a problem. The described solution by several people does not work!

Typing in a new tag and pressing enter does not do anything. 
So for me there is still a problem. On my mac it just works. But not on the ipad.

• 8 months later...

Love the guy who doesn’t understand the problem but gets pissed at everyone who doesn’t grasp his elegant solution to a different problem.

The question is: How does one add tags to the list of available tags, WITHOUT being in a specific note? The purpose for this is simple: I add notes to EN from several different iOS apps. Apparently, the only way to create a new tag for one of these notes added from another app is to Step 1: Send it to EN minus the needed new tag; Step 2: Go over to EN and locate the note; Step 3: Edit the note’s tags and use THAT step to create a new tag. Got it. Pretty simple to grasp, but not a very efficient process and not even slightly intuitive. (And pissed-off-german-guy could probably have answered that question without all the histrionics, but whatever.)

But the question remains: Is there a way to bulk create one or more tags inside EN, and before actually needing them, WITHOUT having to be editing a specific note? So that when one adds a note from another app, the newly added tags are already available in that function? Example: I am reviewing a pile of 2020 financials, and anticipate that I will be needing the following new tags during my review. 2020 Taxes; 2020 Charitable; 2020 P&L; 2020 Subtenant; 2020 Real Estate. It would be great if I could add these to the EN tag list once, before I start my review, and then assign them on-the-fly when adding the notes during my review in other apps. A version of data sous cheffing. Prepare ingredients. Arrange. Start cooking. Use prepared ingredients when the time arrives...rather than getting to the “add garlic” stage and then going off to mince garlic. 

This would also allow one to plan and create a nested tag hierarchy in advance, which would prevent the problem that I have. Lots and lots of tags, lots of duplicates, lots that have only one note assigned, lots that are functional dupes but have different names, like 2019 Taxes, ‘19 Taxes, ‘19 IRS, ‘19 Deductions, ‘19 Schedule C. Etc. They’re basically all the same or closely related, but since I create tags on the fly, ad hoc, this is the result. Not pretty. 

I BELIEVE the answer is that it can’t be done this way. That it can only be done during post-add processing in EN when looking at a specific note. Using my sous chef metaphor, you can’t cut the garlic until you actually need to add the garlic to a specific dish that is already in process. Dumb way to run a busy kitchen. And it’s a dumb way to manage a large filing system. 

And if that is true, one easy workaround would be to create a fake note in EN, assign/create all my new tags there, do my review assigning my new tags, and then just delete the fake note later. Seems pretty clumsy and doesn’t address the need to create a comprehensive system in advance, but that may be the only approach. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DCW said:

Is there a way to bulk create one or more tags inside EN, and before actually needing them, WITHOUT having to be editing a specific note?

No, not in Evernote/IOS; as you mentioned, we have to use the "fake note".    
On a Mac, we're able to add tags and hierarchy using a separate Tag page

Also, tag hierarchy is not accessible in Evernote/IOS 
I reflect hierarchy in the tag  name; for example Colour-Red, Taxes-2019, Taxes-2020, Taxes-2021

• Level 5

As you write, the only way would be to create an empty note, and assign tags to it as you like.

You can assign a maximum of 100 tags to an individual note. So once you reach that limit, create another note as tag-carrier.

To make the system more transparent, you could use a note for each type of tags, so for example one for people, one for places, one for clients, one for ... This could, or could not mimic your tag hierarchy.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, DCW said:

The question is: How does one add tags to the list of available tags, WITHOUT being in a specific note?

Can't do this on any platform.  Gotta be in a note in a desktop or web version, best I can tell.  Ad hoc tags can lead to chaos and adding tags on the fly on any platform can be problematic.  It would seem EN has decided to take the hammer out of the users hands.  Email forwarding doesn't allow it either.  Maybe the fear is mistyping will create tags unknown to the users. :shrug:

11 hours ago, DCW said:

lots that are functional dupes but have different names, like 2019 Taxes, ‘19 Taxes, ‘19 IRS, ‘19 Deductions, ‘19 Schedule C. Etc. They’re basically all the same or closely related, but since I create tags on the fly, ad hoc, this is the result. Not pretty. 

Relative to your tax example, facing the same issue I created a list of tags prefixed by 1040.  If I were to add a tax doc via the IOS share (I prefer my heavy lifting on the desktop) at least the tags show up in the same place in the list so to speak.  No search for tag using share which makes this a PITA as well.    

List using desktop dropdown.

Image.png.a354b0146a88f39241efe5c1ccfeefc4.png

• Like 1