PDF's not searchable

Hello All. 

I've been a premium user for a few years and always used a Scansnap to scan my documents. Generally this has produced searchable PDFS's.

However I recently moved and bought an Epson Workforce WF-3620 All-in-one scanner/printer. I have used both direct scanning to Evernote and via emailing. Either way my documents refuse to become searchable.

I'm really confused by the criteria and when EN decides to OCR something or not. I really just want it to work reliably as this is a required feature.

Any pointers would be great

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, spartaaaaa said:

I've been a premium user for a few years and always used a Scansnap to scan my documents. Generally this has produced searchable PDFS's.

However I recently moved and bought an Epson Workforce WF-3620 All-in-one scanner/printer. I have used both direct scanning to Evernote and via emailing. Either way my documents refuse to become searchable.

I'm really confused by the criteria and when EN decides to OCR something or not. I really just want it to work reliably as this is a required feature.

Since you have specific examples, my recommendation is to open a support ticket.  There's a link below in my signature section.  I'd consider this a bug

Please report back and let us know the results.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, spartaaaaa said:

Hello All. 

ScanSnap may have been OCRing your documents as a part of the scan process.  If that were the case your PDFs would have been searchable right away.  Do you remember your ScanSnap settings?

• Level 5*

It always used to be the case that Evernote OCR won't be applied to a file if

•     it exceeds 50MB / 100 pages
  •     there are no searchable text characters
  •     the file is encrypted or handwritten

- it also takes 'some' time for the server to process OCR's.  It's certainly not instant,  so searches won't be available for some hours at least.

Don't know if these limits have changed in the recent past...

6 hours ago, csihilling said:

ScanSnap may have been OCRing your documents as a part of the scan process.  If that were the case your PDFs would have been searchable right away.  Do you remember your ScanSnap settings?

This is possible. I'm on the hunt now for good Scanning software, as Epson Scan doesn't seem to work. Interestingly OSX Native scan works, but its a little primitive. For example it doesn't support color text mode.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

It always used to be the case that Evernote OCR won't be applied to a file if

•     it exceeds 50MB / 100 pages
  •     there are no searchable text characters
  •     the file is encrypted or handwritten

- it also takes 'some' time for the server to process OCR's.  It's certainly not instant,  so searches won't be available for some hours at least.

Don't know if these limits have changed in the recent past...

Waited about 8 hours, still nothing. PDF's are all within limits and spec as per the support page you referenced. May have to open a ticket.

Thanks for the help

Archived