New for Evernote 6.2.1

[Edit 7/15: we've updated the beta to address a few bugs so try the download link again to get the latest]

Hi everyone,

We just released a new beta - You can download it here

Please reply to this post and let us know how you like it! And if you find an issue, please let us know in a reply to this post.

Thanks, 

Chantal (and the rest of the Windows Evernote team!) 

Evernote for Windows 6.2.1 Release Notes

New:

• New Tools/Options UI with lots of new options available
  • New Thumbnail view for your list of notes that presents notes the way they look in Note View

Improved:

• Shortcuts can now be optionally displayed on a separate toolbar.
  • Quick Search: clicking the button will pass the search to note search, just like Enter key. (thanks to gustavgi)
  • Assisted Search: hovering the "several" notebooks popup shows notebook notes preview tooltip. (thanks to gustavgi)

Fixed:

• Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements.
  • Level 5*

First minute impressions:

- The new options UI is a great improvement, and it's a good choice to hide some of the options under an extended advanced menu.
- Nice to see a keyboard shortcut for 'move to notebook'

- The last minute add of a keyboard shortcut for "click to find shortcuts", resulted in Alt+F4, which clashes with the standard Windows application shutdown. Alt+F5 maybe?
- It might be asking too much, but would it be possible that the tooltip that now show when hoovering "several", only show notes within the notebook that contains the searched term?

- I've played around in the registry with the color of the left panel, and I hope this will be added as a visible option in the future. (btw I use the hex code fffaf5 , which gives a light blue shade that complements the other blue/greenish shades in v6 well).
- I also like the (hidden) initiative of a custom border, and hope to see this become official as well. Right now I feel that the windows _ [] X at the top right should be further away from each other though.

Issues:

- When adding a tag to a note, the tag suggestion window doesn't fit inside the screen, cutting of the tag names at the end. (not new?)

@gustavgi thanks for spotting the issue with alt+f4 - we're fixing that up now and will use your alt+f5 suggestion. We'll update the beta version with that change in it when ready. 

thanks for the rest of the thoughts too, keep 'em coming! 

• Level 5*

Just joined the party - no detailed testing yet,  but I like the new options menus - but - I had switched off the 'automatically format text elements' option in my previously installed version and the new install reset it to on..

• Level 5*

Looks good, a few quick points.

1. Ditto @gazumped above.
  2. If you do a multi-tag search you still cannot delete one of the tags from the search, reported with the last release.
  3. It used to be when you clicked on a note shortcut the left panel would scroll so that the note was on the bottom of the list, second from the bottom I think.  It doesn't do that now.  I saw the new option and tried it both ways, neither works for me.  Left panel stays the same.
  4. Ctrl-Q is acting a little erratically for me.  If I have a note open in its own window on a second screen, the dialog appears there.  If I am in the main EN window the dialog appears there.  The first time I tried Ctrl-Q nothing happened.  Subsequently two of five test searches had a 10 second delay.  
  • EDIT:  A little research as I go, the search 10.0.0 modem seems to be the culprit.  All other searches are lightening fast.  The first time I did the Ctrl-Q search it was based upon that recent search.  So less to do with Ctrl-Q.

For all this my standard view is side list with left panel closed.

4 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Quick Search: clicking the button will pass the search to note search, just like Enter key. (thanks to gustavgi)

What does this mean?  I don't see a button with Ctrl-Q if that is what it is saying?

Thanks for the hard work.

• Level 5*

Hmmn. Unusual editing behaviour in a long clip.  Converted a long article-clip from here:  https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/12/how-technology-disrupted-the-truth  (no irony implied here for any Evernote-related comments or behaviour) and simplify texted it.  After that there were a few images and social media links lying around I wanted to remove in a tidy-up,  so I went through and block-select / deleted them wherever they occurred.  At random moments I got dumped at the top of the text and had to scroll down again to get to the paragraph I was working on.  Happened several times.  Confusing and disruptive.

My impressions and thougths (good and bad all mixed up):

• The Start Menu Shortcut of the app still disappears after update (the taskbar pinned shortcut works OK).
  • The Side List Note View width is defaulted everytime the View style is changed (other views width work fine).
  • I like the new options menu, it's really much more useful than before.
    • When I hover over a title or label the text cursor appear; It should still show the arrow cursor.
    • Love the ability to search notebooks and tags by prefix or substring
    • These options and titles are shown in English even when the UI is set to Spanish (same for their tooltips):
      • Show all tags in the search info tag picker
      • Both Maximum number of notes in preview tooltip
      • Assisted Search Options
      • All the keyboard shortcut labels.
  • I love the new thumbnails view and it customization:wub:, but:
    • When scrolling, the thumbnails keep rearranging themselves and its a little annoying. It seems like its trying to align the notes to the top of the panel.
    • Visually the UI seems outdated, feels like seeing a 10 years old software. It's a combination of the thumbnails border, the padding between those borders and the content and the "whiteish" of the whole interface. Obviously this is just a personal preference and opinion ;).
  • Adding two checkboxes with [ ] shortcut moves the text caret to a new line
  • Copy, paste and move of anything in a note is a pretty slow action since the last couple of updates.
  • Nice to see the change in the presentation of the new attachment thumbs ^^
  • Level 5*

Weirdness observation.  If I type now is the time <enter> into the search bar I get the note list immediately.  If I type the same into the Ctrl-Q search bar there is a marked 1 to 2 second lag before the same note list appears.  Highly repeatable.  Same lag if I click the recent search after hitting Ctrl-Q.  

For me, expectation that the response time would be the same for either method of search.

• Level 5*

Don't think it worked this way before.  When doing a tag picker search, already selected tags continue to appear in the drop down.  Why have a tag displayed in the drop down if you have already selected it?  In the example below I have Shift-Alt-T and selected Statement and _2015 and both tags are in the drop down for a third tag selection.

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*

When using tag picker hitting Esc moves focus to the top of the note list.  Ever consider having it change focus to the search bar to continue the search?  

Use case is when doing searches to winnow to a subset of notes using tags and then refine further if need be using text.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Just joined the party - no detailed testing yet,  but I like the new options menus - but - I had switched off the 'automatically format text elements' option in my previously installed version and the new install reset it to on..

Just uncheck "[X] Automatically format text elements" and it will be off again. We had to change the way they are persisted to provide detailed control.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Weirdness observation.  If I type now is the time <enter> into the search bar I get the note list immediately.  If I type the same into the Ctrl-Q search bar there is a marked 1 to 2 second lag before the same note list appears.  Highly repeatable.  Same lag if I click the recent search after hitting Ctrl-Q.  

For me, expectation that the response time would be the same for either method of search.

My guess is that this is the main reason why the search bar no longer has the other search functions from v5 which created lag for many, but are now in Ctrl+Q. I guess it's the combination of tag/notebook/saved search & note search, that isn't optimal.

Really like the new Thumbnail view. Is it possible to show the note name when you hover over a note or still display the title of the note? I use often empty notes as tasks (GTD system). In this scenario I can't use the thumbnail view, I just see empty thumbnails.

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, raroos said:

Really like the new Thumbnail view. Is it possible to show the note name when you hover over a note or still display the title of the note? I use often empty notes as tasks (GTD system). In this scenario I can't use the thumbnail view, I just see empty thumbnails.

I actually have to thank you for this question, because without it I would never have noticed the options at the bottom (where you can add note name)!

Thumbnail view zoom makes it AWESOME! I've been wishing for something similar for quite some time!

SERIOUS ISSUE: If I click on the "1 thumbnail per line" button, or use max zoom on my Surface 4 Pro (exceeds 730 pixels in width) EN hangs and hangs immediately on restart. I had to go into the registry to manually change the width to be able to just start Evernote again.

I have found an error in the older versions and reported it. If I insert a table with a specific with, this size is not interpreted correctly.

The option to insert a table which is i. e. 300px wide is not available in the latest version any more. What kind of solution is that? Removing not-working features complete? Will it be fixed and come back? Or is this feature gone forever?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, gustavgi said:

My guess is that this is the main reason why the search bar no longer has the other search functions from v5 which created lag for many, but are now in Ctrl+Q. I guess it's the combination of tag/notebook/saved search & note search, that isn't optimal.

Could be, but this is after hitting enter, so in theory it should be doing the same thing.  Can't swear to it but I don't remember a lag in the V5 search bar for this type of search, for me anyway.  

It seems that an old but major quirk has returned! It is actually so bad that it practically makes Evernote for PC (win10, desktop app) unusable!

When editing some text, the cursor jumps to the top of the message. So entering text continues at the top of the note. This happens every 20-30 seconds or so. Can you imagine how annoying this is!

I can remember this has happened before, but years ago. Maybe it has got something to do with the added related content like 'context' or 'contacts'. Though it still happens when all related content is turned off in the settings.

Please fix it really quick! I cannot work like this! Thank you :)

• Level 5
5 hours ago, gustavgi said:

SERIOUS ISSUE: If I click on the "1 thumbnail per line" button, or use max zoom on my Surface 4 Pro (exceeds 730 pixels in width) EN hangs and hangs immediately on restart. I had to go into the registry to manually change the width to be able to just start Evernote again.

Reproduced, thank you for reporting!

• Level 5
9 hours ago, csihilling said:

Do you have Tools/Options/Maximum number of search suggestions set to a value greater than zero?

• Level 5
13 hours ago, csihilling said:

It used to be when you clicked on a note shortcut the left panel would scroll so that the note was on the bottom of the list, second from the bottom I think.  It doesn't do that now.  I saw the new option and tried it both ways, neither works for me.  Left panel stays the same.

Please provide exact steps to reproduce the problem -- I could not repro it with the description above. Thank you!

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, nicobro88 said:
  • I love the new thumbnails view and it customization:wub:, but:
    • When scrolling, the thumbnails keep rearranging themselves and its a little annoying. It seems like its trying to align the notes to the top of the panel.

THIS. It's super distracting, and I feel like I can't scroll and browse properly because my bearing keeps getting lost. This view solves a huge issue I had previously with Thumbnail view, which was that note titles had a clear background when sitting on a PDF, which meant the text on the PDF made the title unreadable. I really, REALLY like this view — they just need to stop hopping around :) 

• Level 5*

I have some sort of issue with EN hanging after I have closed a note in single note view/own window.

I can open one or several notes, and it works buttery smooth everywhere with all the windows open. But as soon as a close one of them, EN doesn't respond for like 30 sec.

Also I am still a bit concerned that "Unassign from all notes" in the tags right click menu, doesn't have a confirm dialog box. I still dread the day that I will mis-click this while going for "move to top level". It could cause major data loss, that will be very hard to repair as there will be no trace of which notes were tagged with that tag since the edit datestamp for notes doesn't change with tag changes.

• Level 5*

Thumbnail view should probably get its own thread, but I'll ask a couple of questions here.

- How are the thumbnails picked? With some notes it shows the whole note with small text and for some it's just the first paragraph in large text.

- Are the thumbnails cached in some way for better performance?

I see huge potential for this view, but I also wish that one of the metadata options gave more information. Since you already have two options; Show note title & Show note info, my request would be that Show note info extended the thumbnail enough to also include the complete notebook name and show all of the tags. Since the thumbnails have different sizes it won't look weird if the "note info area" itself is adaptable in size in relation to the individual notes meta content, at least for the larger sizes.

• Level 5*

Also I've been (un)patiently hoping for a return of "Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected", since it was removed in v5.0. So I was very glad to see the return of it in the registry in the ealier beta, and now as a visible option in the new options UI. I still consider this the most important feature for my workflow.

But if I could make one suggestion if possible, it would be that the item it scrolls to would be scrolled to the top of the left panel and not as the last item in the bottom, so that you immediately see/have space to expand child tags without having to manually scroll down for more room.

It is also a bit unfortunate that the item is "selected" after renaming an item. So if I right click a tag in Shortcuts and rename it, it will jump to the tag area after it has been renamed.

2 horas atrás, reinketelaars disse:

It seems that an old but major quirk has returned! It is actually so bad that it practically makes Evernote for PC (win10, desktop app) unusable!

When editing some text, the cursor jumps to the top of the message. So entering text continues at the top of the note. This happens every 20-30 seconds or so. Can you imagine how annoying this is!

I can remember this has happened before, but years ago. Maybe it has got something to do with the added related content like 'context' or 'contacts'. Though it still happens when all related content is turned off in the settings.

I'm getting the same issue, and it's getting annoying really quickly. Even when idle, EN will jump the cursor to the top of the note.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, chirmer said:

THIS. It's super distracting, and I feel like I can't scroll and browse properly because my bearing keeps getting lost. This view solves a huge issue I had previously with Thumbnail view, which was that note titles had a clear background when sitting on a PDF, which meant the text on the PDF made the title unreadable. I really, REALLY like this view — they just need to stop hopping around

This is a known problem we're working on.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Please provide exact steps to reproduce the problem -- I could not repro it with the description above. Thank you!

Pre this beta I could (my set up of side list view, no left panel, shortcuts in the toolbar):

1. Create a shortcut for a note by dragging it to the shortcut bar.
  2. Click on the shortcut, preferably with it not visible so as to be able to see the impact..
  3. The note would appear in the note window and the note would appear one up from the bottom in the note list. 

With the beta this no longer happens.  The note appears in the note window but the note does not appear in the note list.

EDIT:  In fact the note list doesn't move at all. 

• Level 5*

Do you have Tools/Options/Maximum number of search suggestions set to a value greater than zero?

Nope, it is at 0.  Thanks for asking, forced me to find the Show advanced options checkbox.  :)

There is a major problem with your duplicate note functionality on Windows. Just lost 2 hours of work because of this...

To reproduce:

- Right-click on any note and choose Duplicate note (create a number of duplicates)

- Go to another computer (in my case Mac), open Evernote and Sync. Not every duplicated note will be synced.

- Go back to the windows computer and sync again. All duplicated notes are gone...

And you are talking about subscription changes ...

• Evernote Expert

The new feature updates are awesome. Keep up the good work. 

However, i feel that this version has some issues. Some momentary freezes and a couple of crashes in the first half hour. 

I will look up and get back with the details. 

I like the New Evernote.. To Hell with all the Negative Press, you guys are doing an awesome job :):):)

Thumbnails bug (quirk) in 6.2.1.3048:

when viewing all notes view "Notebooks", thumbnails are missing in the initial view.. you have to scroll down slightly then the thumbnails flash into view.  See screen shot for "missing" thumbnails.

Update: when on the "Trash" items the same behavior exists.

Update 2: I'm maybe losing my mind, but I swear I've been deleting a few items that keep resurfacing (from multiselect).  Anyone else experience problems?

en bug - notebooks view with thumbnails ScreenClip.png

7 horas atrás, reinketelaars disse:

The same issue for me.

Would be great to have this issue fixed.

Just now, arthurrschaefer said:

The same issue for me.

Would be great to have this issue fixed.

Having the same problem. I'm Win 7 and 6.2.1 Beta - when typing, cursor jumps to top of the message several times per minute. It's unusable in this state!

hace 8 horas, reinketelaars dijo:

I'm also able to reproduce this. I create a new note, wrote some random stuff and copy a piece of this text. The first time I paste it the text appears almost instantly and the cursor stays in its position. The second time it takes the text half a second to appear and the cursor jumps to the start. This behavior keeps repeating alternating an instant paste and a slow one that makes the cursor jump. BUT, if I paste really quick (like CTRL+V+V+V+V+V :P) everything will be pasted as expected and after that the cursor jumps.

thumbnail view:

{comment} amazed that finally an option and glad to see i can zoom out (makes owning 40" 4k monitor worth every penny;))

{idea} a checkable option to load all thumbnails in background

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, AndreasM said:

EN, how can we trust your product, if a new release brings old, or new old bugs. This is why I am on V 5.6, and do not know when will be upgrading, unless your quality control totally changes.

You did notice that this was a beta correct?  All the usual caveats apply.

15 minutes ago, AndreasM said:

EN, how can we trust your product, if a new release brings old, or new old bugs. This is why I am on V 5.6, and do not know when will be upgrading, unless your quality control totally changes.

" Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. Software in the beta stage is also known as betaware. Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. "

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, AndreasM said:

Yes I did, but is it any different from non beta?

Yes, I've found the prior "public" version to be quite stable.  This beta release introduces several new features and changes summarized in @Chantal Leonard 's opening post.  My reading of the posts above indicate these seem to be problems introduced with the new features that need to be ironed out.

20 hours ago, reinketelaars said:

This is making it impossible to work within a note and needs immediate attention please.

20 hours ago, reinketelaars said:

On my PC, this occurs when I save the note. In the editor of main window, it does not occur.

I'm finding a glitch happens when I open a note and I'm in note view. As I'm composing my note it will automatically go back to the beginning of the note which means I have to scroll back down to the previous point where I was editing my note. 

hace 24 minutos, GiacomoLaw dijo:

Ops, thanks for telling me that! Did not notice it. :D 

;)

hace 23 minutos, ej8899 dijo:

you may have to widen the thumbnail panel to see the gear icon.

That's true, if the panel is too narrow the icon dessapear

hace 21 minutos, GiacomoLaw dijo:

Is anyone going to use the thumbnail view? It looks quite good...

A couple of weeks ago I started migrating most of my webclips and notes to Quip because of the poor editor experience. But I will keep using evernote for my scans, documents, and images so probably I will stick with the thumbnail view

• Level 5*

EN had thumbnail view with zoom back, as I recall, in v4 and then was dropped in v5.  I'm glad to see it  return.  It won't be my primary view but I do find it very useful on occasion.

• Level 5*

Have been using the beta. The number one problem I am seeing is this: when editing a note in a separate window, the editing cursor jumps to the top of the note every so often (I'm guessing that it's a sync operation). It is very confusing and teeth-grindingly annoying, to lose your place after pausing for a few seconds, and not realizing that you are not where you left off.

16 minutes ago, jefito said:

Have been using the beta. The number one problem I am seeing is this: when editing a note in a separate window, the editing cursor jumps to the top of the note every so often (I'm guessing that it's a sync operation). It is very confusing and teeth-grindingly annoying, to lose your place after pausing for a few seconds, and not realizing that you are not where you left off.

@jefito I have been having the exact same issue and I thought I was losing my mind - or my cursor.  It has been making me crazy.  This would be terrific to see fixed.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

Looks nice, but unfortunately I prefer the side list view, no left panel.  More notes on a page and columns to sort.  Might help when I'm looking for a receipt though, better view of those.

hace 1 minuto, csihilling dijo:

Looks nice, but unfortunately I prefer the side list view, no left panel.  More notes on a page and columns to sort.  Might help when I'm looking for a receipt though, better view of those.

One thing that I always wished but could feel strange is that independently of the selected view to have the column header (or very similar) visible. This is for me the simplest way to sort notes. The drop left to the search bar requires lots of clicks

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, nicobro88 said:

One thing that I always wished but could feel strange is that independently of the selected view to have the column header (or very similar) visible. This is for me the simplest way to sort notes. The drop left to the search bar requires lots of clicks

Agreed! I been wishing for something similar as well. It's too many clicks to sort by notebook/created date & reversing the sort order, which I do all the time.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

I prefer the top list view.  I find the thumbnails/snippets/cards too distracting.  Thinking of TOC and Indexes in books

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, HerbyDE said:

Ah! Now I can merge notes without the ugly thick blue ribbon! Wished this since years! Thank you!!! :-)

Yeah - there seem to be quite a few nice little Easter Eggs in this new version.  Didn't say it before,  and a couple of slaps on the collective metaphoric back isn't going to balance out the stick you guys have been getting this past few weeks,  but...

index.jpg

My cursor also jumps and I would not even had bothered to comment do to the fact the problem is known to exist. However I am noticing something that I have not yet read. I have an attached email to my to do list that was not there prior to downding the new version. I than get a new box that pops up saying that it sees that I am working on this attached email, than my cursor jumps to the top. I have tried to remove this attached email my from note, but I have been unsuccesfull. 

• Level 5
23 hours ago, jefito said:

The fix is on the way, please stay tuned.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, csihilling said:

Will you use Thumbnails view on some of your notebooks if Evernote would have "notebook specific views" feature that associates note list view type and settings (like sorting order, columns set and order, thumbnail zoom factor, etc) with a notebook?

• Level 5
20 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Agreed! I been wishing for something similar as well. It's too many clicks to sort by notebook/created date & reversing the sort order, which I do all the time.

Do you think "notebook specific views" feature can help here? 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

if Evernote would have "notebook specific views" feature that associates note list view type and settings (like sorting order, columns set and order, thumbnail zoom factor, etc) with a notebook?

That would be awesome!  Folks have been requesting notebook specific sort order for some time and the rest would be icing.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

While I see how that could be a helpful feature in some other circumstances, I don't think such an implementation would solve what I am looking for in this situation.

Also I am rarely in a situation where I want to sort content in just one notebook, if it's "notebook specific view" only. My need to sort context occurs when I do a note search or display tag content, that both displays notes across notebooks. So while I probably would have more use for a "tag specific view" feature, I guess that would also be harder to implement.

There are a couple of reasons for why I wish for column headers for all views. First there is the quick reassurance of how the current context is currently sorted, by looking at the arrow in the column header. This would be less of an issue if thumbnail view displayed the notebook name for each note, which i dearly hope will be an option either way.

Second, and more importantly, is that I many times switch between the sorting orders (mostly "last updated", "notebook" and "title") while going over the same content, by using one click on the header. And you can instantly reverse the sorting order by an additional click on the header ("last updated" has to be reversed to show the last edited notes). If I use a view which is not a list view, I have to use 4 mouse clicks and move the mouse in between each click, everytime I want to change the sort order from "title" to "last updated".

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

That's something that has been requested over the years, so some people will certainly find it useful. So long as there a separate global view that persists, so that I don't lose my usual settings when I want to look at a particular notebook in a different order. In other words, I use sort by reminder date reversed almost exclusively; I don't want to lose that if I start looking at a specific notebook in, say, title order.

Somewhat related (but not really) would be having the ability to specify sort order in the search grammar, which would make it something that you could persist to a saved search. 

• Level 5
56 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Second, and more importantly, is that I many times switch between the sorting orders (mostly "last updated", "notebook" and "title") while going over the same content, by using one click on the header. And you can instantly reverse the sorting order by an additional click on the header ("last updated" has to be reversed to show the last edited notes). If I use a view which is not a list view, I have to use 4 mouse clicks and move the mouse in between each click, everytime I want to change the sort order from "title" to "last updated".

Interesting... i'll pass this over to UX people -- maybe we can come up with some sort of Note List toolbar that would allow you to change sorting order with one click.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, jefito said:

Somewhat related (but not really) would be having the ability to specify sort order in the search grammar, which would make it something that you could persist to a saved search. 

I don't know if that's possible, but it sounds like a genius idea to me. Especially if you could also include a specific view as well.

That way you could use a specific sorting order & view also for note searches and for tags.

I'd pay more for that... :)

• Level 5*

Will you use Thumbnails view on some of your notebooks if Evernote would have "notebook specific views" feature that associates note list view type and settings (like sorting order, columns set and order, thumbnail zoom factor, etc) with a notebook?

I might, but I'm not so much a notebook person as some (typically use All Notes as context), so probably not often.  Others I'm sure would really appreciate notebook specific views, particularly if they maintained sort options.

Thanks for the initial thoughts folks and for helping us spot some key issues. We've fixed the following:

1. Note list does not scroll to the note selected via shortcut
  2. Cursor jumps up to the top of the note when opened in a separate window
  3. Thumbnail view note slowdowns

We've updated the link in the announcement, or go ahead and get it here.

Thank you and happy Friday!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Note list does not scroll to the note selected via shortcut

Works again, thanks!  

One piece of weirdness - I have four note shortcuts and for three of them the notes appear one from the bottom in the note list, the fourth appears at the top of the note list.

I notice in thumbnail view... after I have updated a note that has a picture embedded in it, the thumbnail view remains blank. The other notes in that particular notebook I can see just fine in thumbnail view but that one particular note that I've updated doesn't show the image that it normally has in thumbnail view. 

• Level 5*
On July 15, 2016 at 7:26 AM, kvitekp said:

On July 15, 2016 at 9:14 AM, jefito said:

Actually I see @jefito's proposal as a better solution; it solves two issues - custom sorting in notebooks and saved searches

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, csihilling said:

One piece of weirdness - I have four note shortcuts and for three of them the notes appear one from the bottom in the note list, the fourth appears at the top of the note list.

I believe it depends on where the note is in the list in relation to the current position.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

I believe it depends on where the note is in the list in relation to the current position.

Good catch, tracks that way with reverse create date sort for sure.  Wonder why the note wouldn't just be at the top of the list???  Well, at least there only two places to look.  ;)

• Level 5*
On 7/15/2016 at 11:14 AM, jefito said:

Very nice.  Really like this idea, particularly saved reminder searches.

On 7/12/2016 at 6:25 PM, csihilling said:
On 7/12/2016 at 2:09 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Quick Search: clicking the button will pass the search to note search, just like Enter key. (thanks to gustavgi)

What does this mean?  I don't see a button with Ctrl-Q if that is what it is saying?

Thanks for the hard work.

I cannot find said button either.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, eafpres said:

I cannot find said button either.

It's just the small magnifying glass in the Ctrl+Q box, that shows after you start typing. It lets you execute a note search with the mouse. Earlier it just cleared the search.

• Level 5*

Bug: If I type in a notebook filter into the search bar ( notebook:X ) and then do a word search afterwords, the "several" button which suggests other notebooks doesn't switch notebook if I click on one of the notebooks suggested. It works if it only suggests a couple of notebooks so that you don't see the "several" button. It's the list that doesn't work.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Bug: If I type in a notebook filter into the search bar ( notebook:X ) and then do a word search afterwords, the "several" button which suggests other notebooks doesn't switch notebook if I click on one of the notebooks suggested. It works if it only suggests a couple of notebooks so that you don't see the "several" button. It's the list that doesn't work.

I agree with you. In my opinion, it is confusing.

There are 2 search results. The top one (circled in red) is the one I rely on most frequently. The bottom one (circled in blue) identifies all the notebooks that contain the search word, even though it conflicts with the original single notebook search criteria!

I tried comparing a generic word ("clover") against a more specific word ("white clover"). I keep my gardening notes into a notebook named "Leisure". See the difference in the attachments below.

So...  

is the 2nd search field stating "several notebooks" helpful or useful? I don't think so.  Sure, there is a drop down list of the other notebooks that contain the word, but they are not clickable. As gustavgi said - the list doesn't work., so what's the point really?

The 2nd search field with specific notebooks is a bit more helpful because they are clickable. However, I doubt that I would use it and it will end up causing confusion for many users. Why? Because the results in the 2nd field conflict with the original search (for a single notebook).

clover1.png

clover2.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I agree with you. In my opinion, it is confusing.

There are 2 search results. The top one (circled in red) is the one I rely on most frequently. The bottom one (circled in blue) identifies all the notebooks that contain the search word, even though it conflicts with the original single notebook search criteria!

I tried comparing a generic word ("clover") against a more specific word ("white clover"). I keep my gardening notes into a notebook named "Leisure". See the difference in the attachments below.

So...  

is the 2nd search field stating "several notebooks" helpful or useful? I don't think so.  Sure, there is a drop down list of the other notebooks that contain the word, but they are not clickable. As gustavgi said - the list doesn't work., so what's the point really?

The 2nd search field with specific notebooks is a bit more helpful because they are clickable. However, I doubt that I would use it and it will end up causing confusion for many users. Why? Because the results in the 2nd field conflict with the original search (for a single notebook).

I have used it several times since v6 launched, pun semi-unintended :)

I have found it very useful for notebooks, tags and saved searches, and the several button list works as expected for the latter scenarios (well for tags it often shows no hits, because the tag remains so I have to cross that one out). That's why it's a bug for notebooks.

The point is that EN let's you know that you might have relevant notes outside the current search scope, which is nice.

However I do agree that the UI design for the "2nd search field" should be a bit more obvious what it is (maybe just add "Also found.." ?), and I have suggested before that they at least change the "several" button to make it show that it's actually a drop down list.

8 hours ago, gustavgi said:

It's just the small magnifying glass in the Ctrl+Q box, that shows after you start typing. It lets you execute a note search with the mouse. Earlier it just cleared the search.

Thank you; I was looking for an "actual" button vs. a clickable icon.  Duh!

5 hours ago, gustavgi said:

For me the list appears clickable regardless of length.  It properly changes notebook focus when I click on any of the listed notebooks.  I may not understand the bug you filed, though, so my apologies if I'm commenting on the wrong thing.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I actually use that all the time.  It is my preferred way to drill down within a search.  I never do a notebook specific search.  I just start with key words and if need be then click on a notebook if the initial search results are too broad.  I like the idea above about changing it to "Also found" to help clarify what it is.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, eafpres said:

For me the list appears clickable regardless of length.  It properly changes notebook focus when I click on any of the listed notebooks.  I may not understand the bug you filed, though, so my apologies if I'm commenting on the wrong thing.

It works in every instance except when you first filter by manually typing "notebook:" (it works when you select a notebook by dropdown, left panel, use a saved search that filters by notebook etc.).

Archived