Evernote Android Typing Completely Glitchy??

Help! I love using Evernote but I can no longer type properly on it!

So ever since an update a few months ago, I don't recall exactly when, whenever I type in Evernote android, it's been crazy glitchy. I can type smoothly on every single app on my phone except Evernote so I'm pretty sure Evernote's the issue here.

Examples of glitches are:

- typing "i" gets deleted after hitting spacebar

- backspace on a word adds letters to the word? they --> backspace one letter and the word becomes --> theythe

- deleting an empty line before a paragraph deletes the first word of that paragraph

- cursor jumps around like when I try to move it

- cursor also jumps to a different spot in the middle of typing (I didn't touch anything weird, like it'll jump up way to the top so no way could I have scrolled all the way up in the middle of typing)

I can't remember all of them right now but typing is randomly slow as well. Also, my phone has lots of memory because I clean it up at least once a week, deleting cache and other files etc

Does anyone else have these problems? Are they fixable?

• Level 5

I don't have a clue about this, but those who do can probably give more advice with some additional information. What version of Evernote Android do you have? What's your phone's model and Android version (should be in Settings, then scroll way down to About phone)? And what keyboard are you using?

Hello @Sophia123,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. @Dave-in-Decatur is correct that the device information would be crucial to finding out what could be causing this. This includes the device name, version of Android installed on the device, Keyboard that is being used, and the version of your Evernote application that is being used.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have this problem too.  When I type "i" in Evernote on my android it autocorrects to "il".  I tried typing an Evernote in French today at a meeting and there was no autocorrect at all- it didn't even capitalize the words at the beginning of a sentence.  The rest of my phone works fine.  It's just Evernote.

I have a Droid Maxx running Android Version 4.4.4

Evernote version 7.9.3

One thing I noticed was, my phone wasn't able to update software for a while because the memory was full. So I did a factory reset last week and now the keyboard looks different.  I don't know if that is a Google Play Services component but I tried to get the familiar keyboard I had before and can't find it.  Up till my factory reset Evernote was working great! However I wasn't able to update Evernote either so I'm not sure if it's my system software or the Evernote software.

• 1 month later...

Droid MAXX

Android 4.4.4

Evernote 7.9.4

Typing issue over the last couple weeks has gotten very frustrating. It is only happening in this app. If I pause while typing, my next entry will replace words or whole lines of text earlier in the note. It is approaching unusable.

I am having similar issues. Particularly when I use the check box feature. When I make a new checkbox, then type a word, then press space, the checkbox is deleted and the first letter of the word is copied and put to the end of the word (weird lol). Other similar issues happen when simply working on a new line with no checkbox sometimes. 

I love ever note but this problem is really bothering me. 

I use SwiftKey. 

Android 6.0.1

Galaxy 6s phone. 

Please help! 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am running into the same problem, however I have a one plus one running android 4.4.4. It's been a problem since this summer and makes it basically impossible to type anything. I pretty much have to copy and paste from my email client or other app, none of which have any issues.

The version of evernote is 7.9.5 which says it's up to date.

No, I use the standard Android keyboard (AOSP).

I'm trying to submit a ticket with the details but don't see any form to type in the issue or submit button (see attached screen shot). Is there another method of submission?

Screenshot_2016-10-19-11-31-08.png

On 10/19/2016 at 11:33 AM, LisLa said:

No, I use the standard Android keyboard (AOSP).

I'm trying to submit a ticket with the details but don't see any form to type in the issue or submit button (see attached screen shot). Is there another method of submission?

Screenshot_2016-10-19-11-31-08.png

I have this same problem. I have no idea how to send a service ticket. I keep getting the same screen, with no option to start a ticket, or obtain a ticket number. Very frustrating!

Having similar keyboard issues, that just started a few days ago. I use this app everyday for work. 

VERSION 7.9.6

Galaxy note 3

Using the regular ol' keyboard 

I am having this same problem with Evernote on my Samsung 6, Android v6.0.1. (Just started a couple of days ago) Just now, I uninstalled, then re-installed Evernote. I did try Toastslayer's suggestion to turn off Predictive Text, which worked, but I do not want to turn it off for convenience sake.

In some cases, numbers are turned into decimal points, for example $3.66 turns into $3..6. In other cases, numbers turn into the $ sign, so $3.66 becomes $$..6

Separately, each time I open Evernote, it scrolls down to the bottom of my notes instead of showing the most recently edited, which is at the top. I will start a separate entry for this problem.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I am having similar problems in Evernote also:

• multiple repeated letters added to the start of words when I edit them (unpredictable)
  • double spaces being inserted when highlighting and typing a new word (every time)
  • spaces being inserted before punctuation (every time)

It doesn't occur in any other app or text field, only Evernote.

I have a Galaxy Tab S2 and Galaxy S6 (on Android Marshmallow, same issues for both), each running Evernote 7.9.6 and Swiftkey 6.4.5.43.

Hi there,

I'm having similar issues to some of those described in this thread.

I've just uninstalled then reinstalled Evernote, but the issue still exists . I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (glitchy phone in general).

Basically if I type a word and then try to put a financial value next to it, the number that I type right after the currency symbol changes to a currency symbol .

Example, if I'm trying to type

"November  $950.00"

It comes out like

"November $$50.00" I have to constantly go back and delete the second $ and replace with a number.

If I decide to exclude the currency symbol and type "1000.00", it comes out like "1000..00". the first zero after the decimal turns into another period/full stop.

I'm sure there are other issues I've yet to encounter however I've gone from utilizing this app frequently to avoiding at all costs because of these irritating glitches. I used to use Evernote on my Sony Xperia Z1, Samsung Galaxy S4, and Samsung Galaxy S prime without issue. It was excellent or documenting information quickly and efficiently. 

Perhaps there is a fix on the way for this issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Hello @Bright Spark,

This is a currently a known issue and it appears to be specific to Samsung. Our dev team is working with their team to figure out how to resolve this issue. In the meantime, you can download the Google Keyboard from the Play Store and this should resolve the issue.

Once there is an update on a fix for this issue, I will be sure to let you all know.

I've been having the space before punctuation problem for a couple of weeks. Uninstalling and installing doesn't resolve the problem. Only occurs in Evernote.

Nexus 6P Nougat up to date stock

Also same exact problem with

Nexus 5X Nougat up to date stock

Further, support submission is broken, I can only get one drop down box in.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 8:05 PM, Matt W. said:

Hello @Bright Spark,

This is a currently a known issue and it appears to be specific to Samsung. Our dev team is working with their team to figure out how to resolve this issue. In the meantime, you can download the Google Keyboard from the Play Store and this should resolve the issue.

Once there is an update on a fix for this issue, I will be sure to let you all know.

This is happening on my phone as well and I have an HTC A one 9. Evernote is updated at 7.9.7. I just wanted to let you know it's not just Samsung. Thank you for working on it.

• 1 month later...

Hello, my issue is that he typing is glitchy on some notes and I don't know why. (I'm lucky for not having the problem in everyone!)

I'm on version 7.9.8

LG keyboard

Android 6.0

- When I try to write, when I tap the second letter, the cursor goes down a line but nothing appears. Then, it can easily mess up all my notes because it writes over the next letters.

- When I backspace in a word, it's deleting the left AND the right letter. It's also deleting the next empty line.

- The numbers are not affected by the bug

It's just some examples and I don't know all of the things the bug can do and the conditions.

Here's a video to illustrate the bug:

(Pay attention to the letters I type to understand fully and I suggest you to slow down the video)

Thanks! :)

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/02/2017 at 5:28 PM, Matt W. said:

@Maxwenta and @SpecEd,

We are currently working on the note editor found inside of Evernote For Android and across the other Evernote applications. I encourage you to enroll in the Evernote Beta program, to see if you still encounter this after updating your Evernote application.

I'm enrolled and it's still not fixed for me. How can I help you in this program?

I'm coming to the end of my first month with EN. I am a premium subscriber. I have 6.4.2.3788 for Windows Desktop on Windows 10 Anniversary Update Insider. Yesterday,  EN stopped recognizing return or backspace at all and thinks delete is right arrow. This happened on the web and on Windows, but seems to be limited to text files I copy paste in. This might be unrelated to this thread but I don't see what sort of hidden codes would be in a text file that would make EN not respond to these keys. I can type letters normally. All other keyboard features work normally in my word processor and in the web.  

Highlight, right click and cut does not work on these text files either.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Having same problem with the cursor jumping around.

1. When I delete text between two words (e.g. a space between two__words) - the cursor jumps to the end of the word "words|". So if you are trying to delete multiple words in a sentence, the cursor keeps jumping backwards.

2. When deleting a paragraph space (removing a blank line), it duplicates the word.

e.g. "delete this  

paragraph"  --> becomes: "delete thisthis"

I tried submitting a ticket through the app, but the in-app system doesn't work, so i can't include automatic system data.

Using:

• Android 6 on Xiaomi 3s
  • Using google keyboard
  • I don't have this problem on any other app in Android. Only Evernote.
  • 2 months later...

I too am having the "slow typing  issue" and I'm on a pc with Windows 10.

Very, very frustrating. Can only type 2 - 3 letters then have to sit there and wait for the letters to show up before I can enter another 2-3 letters.

This started for me about a month ago.

Loved, loved, loved this app and was considering upgrading. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem since the latest update (at least a month back for me). Every time I press the enter key on Evernote, the previous word I type disappears. I have to leave a spacing after the end of every sentence before passing the enter key to get around this. 

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8, Android version 7.0, and this problem doesn't happen in all other typing apps.

Evernote version 7.11 GA.

• 2 months later...

I just want to add that the editing issues are still present and send to be related to my use of Swype in Evernote. I have no problem with Swype in other apps. Until recently the only problem I had showed up when I use the backspace key. In some situations, which I cannot predict, it was impossible to delete single letters. When of tried to do that, the whole word was merged with the previous word. A few weeks ago another problem has begun, also without any obvious pattern. What happens is that, sometimes, when writing a word, the word merges with the previous word when there should be a space. I have downloaded the beta to see if it will make a difference. 

Thanks for looking into this! 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to comment that I still have this issue as well, and often, the app becomes so much unusable. I've tried many keyboards and the only one that made the issue disappear is the one without suggestion word prediction and swype functions  (For other keyboards, turn off the function ain't help either). I don't really need the functions but the keyboard that works is hard to type for me and Google Keyboard is too big. So pleases, if you can fix this fix it! I love this app so much but this bug annoys me as hell. Thanks.

Also, I use bata version Matt W. suggested. It didn't fix anything, but maybe.. I'm not sure.. but it happens less?  Not less enough though.

Ps. Can you look at specific language? Every time I typed vowel letter in Thai (such as   ี่ ,  ู ) it messed everything up, duplicated lots of letters and words more than usual.

• 5 months later...

Having a similar problem. Went into an existing list, and tried adding random words to a new line, it replaced the checkbox with a random word(is, and, it, and a few others), and then whatever I typed. So it's no longer replacing the previous line stuff, but is still useless for adding something to a list on my phone.

Evernote Beta version 7.17_beta2_3962

Galaxy S8 on Android 7.0 with SwiftKey 6.7.4.31

• 2 weeks later...

Same Problem here. I am using Song Titels with the propper Chord in brackets. If i add a blank at the end of the song title and the chord it aotocorrects the chord if i use a checkbox. No wrong behavior if i try the same step without checkbox. Like:

10 000 Reasons (G)

Now I add a blank after the bracket:

10 000 ReasReasons 

-> complete wrong autocorrection. Please fix! 

Evernote 7.17beta, SwiftKey beta 6.7.7.17, Android 8.0 on Huawei device. 

• 3 weeks later...

My keyboard is glitchy in evernote too. I'm using a Motorola and tried updating Evernote, joining the Beta program, updating Evernote again and updating my google keyboard and it's still an issue. It types over words, the cursor jumps around and it adds repeated letters/words. 

After more than six months, I still have this problem now and then. The problem has increased on the check lists, where it is very systematic: of I attempt to delete a word on row #3 then a word on row #1 will be deleted instead. I have Evernote 8.2_beta 2 on a Samsung A5 from 2015.

• 2 months later...

New problem with 8.1_beta3: I'm writing with Swype 3.2.4 on a Samsung SM-A500FU. This keyboard enters a full stop when I double click on the space button. But after the new update of Evernote this key-stroke sequence causes the cursor to jump to the top of the document instead! Is it possible to undo the update? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 2:39 PM, evermich said:

New problem with 8.1_beta3: I'm writing with Swype 3.2.4 on a Samsung SM-A500FU. This keyboard enters a full stop when I double click on the space button. But after the new update of Evernote this key-stroke sequence causes the cursor to jump to the top of the document instead! Is it possible to undo the update? 

• 3 months later...

YES!  I'm having very similar symptoms since an (involuntary) update a month or so ago.  (I notice the OP is from 2016, so apparently this problem is not version-specific.) I'm now at version 8.0 on a Motorola Razr M.  Since the update, if I type a word (in a grocery list, for example), then hit return, as soon as I start to type a new word on the next line, it deletes the line above and starts typing my new word.  Often, it leaves the first letter of the old, mostly deleted word.  It's a total mess.  If I try to backspace, sometimes it works, but often it duplicates pieces of the word I'm trying to backspace into.  I have to fake it out by typing my two words together with no space, then move the cursor between the two words, THEN hit the return key, and I'll get what I want.  This is no way to have to type!

People on this forum talk about reverting to the previous version.  How is that done?  I think that might solve it.

Hi and thanks for your answer. 

Both the Flesksy and Minuum keyboard are laggy / buggy. Switching to Gboard or Samsung keyboard does fix the problem but that's not really the solution in looking for since I don't use those keyboards otherwise. 

• Level 5
33 minutes ago, Ettelaiv said:

Hi and thanks for your answer. 

Both the Flesksy and Minuum keyboard are laggy / buggy. Switching to Gboard or Samsung keyboard does fix the problem but that's not really the solution in looking for since I don't use those keyboards otherwise. 

I totally understand. I use Smart Keyboard Pro, for its multiple languages and other features, and I would be really aggravated if I had to switch back to a stock keyboard just to get Evernote to work right. Hopefully, the identification of specific keyboards associated with the problem may help the programmers to figure out the issue. I know that Evernote staff do look in here from time to time, and pass info on to the developers, even if they don't always mention it here.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:08 AM, Toastslayer said:

On the Samsung Galaxy S6, I just fixed this by doing the following: Go to Settings, Language and Input, Samsung Keyboard, and turn off “Predictive Text"

yes. turning off the predictive text solved it for me too. thanks mate.

• 1 month later...

I started having this problem after an update in August or September. I have not changed the keyboard for Samsung S9. While turning off Predictive text may solve the Evernote problem it creates extra work typing in other Android apps like texts and emails by not showing misspellings and possible corrections. THIS IS AN EVERNOTE PROBLEM!

I am not willing to sacrifice my productivity due to bad quality control by EN!

Premium acct. Android latest version

• Level 5
20 hours ago, wahidovic123 said:

hi I've got similar problems with crazy autocorrect  I really loved this app help.
Evernote version 7.18
huawei p9 on Android 5.0.1 ?

see:  Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate  ?

thanks?

Have you looked through some of the previous posts? There have been some suggestions about using a different on-screen keyboard, or turning off predictive text.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:17 PM, wahidovic123 said:

hi I've got similar problems with crazy autocorrect  I really loved this app help.
Evernote version 7.18
huawei p9 on Android 5.0.1 ?

see:  Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate  ?

thanks?

wahidovic123 I have Evernote 8.5 for Android version 8.0.0 using the Samsung keyboard. I turned off Predictive Text and that solved the Evernote problem. But, typing anything else, text msgs, emails, etc., became painful as there were no suggestions for correcting misspellings or suggested words to speed up entering longer words. 

This would seem to be an Evernote problem: either through an update that they provided, or through an Android change that Evernote has not kept up with. I just use my desktop now for entering notes. Trying to use Evernote on the cell phone is too time consuming. 

Hope you find a fix somewhere in this 2 year old topic... 

On 9/16/2018 at 12:20 AM, craeihle said:

YES!  I'm having very similar symptoms since an (involuntary) update a month or so ago.  (I notice the OP is from 2016, so apparently this problem is not version-specific.) I'm now at version 8.0 on a Motorola Razr M.  Since the update, if I type a word (in a grocery list, for example), then hit return, as soon as I start to type a new word on the next line, it deletes the line above and starts typing my new word.  Often, it leaves the first letter of the old, mostly deleted word.  It's a total mess.  If I try to backspace, sometimes it works, but often it duplicates pieces of the word I'm trying to backspace into.  I have to fake it out by typing my two words together with no space, then move the cursor between the two words, THEN hit the return key, and I'll get what I want.  This is no way to have to type!

People on this forum talk about reverting to the previous version.  How is that done?  I think that might solve it.

You can revert to the previous version, change to a coming version, if you opt to be a beta user. Of the beta version is bad you just opt out for a while. You become a beta user through the app store.

• Level 5
16 hours ago, betnel said:

wahidovic123 I have Evernote 8.5 for Android version 8.0.0 using the Samsung keyboard. I turned off Predictive Text and that solved the Evernote problem. But, typing anything else, text msgs, emails, etc., became painful as there were no suggestions for correcting misspellings or suggested words to speed up entering longer words. 

This would seem to be an Evernote problem: either through an update that they provided, or through an Android change that Evernote has not kept up with. I just use my desktop now for entering notes. Trying to use Evernote on the cell phone is too time consuming. 

Hope you find a fix somewhere in this 2 year old topic... 

It does seem to be caused by some particular interaction between Evernote (evidently only Evernote) and particular keyboards doing predictive text, perhaps in specific versions of Android. It's not happening to everyone; at any rate, I'm lucky enough not to be experiencing it (using Smart Keyboard Pro). I suspect (without inside knowledge) that hit-or-miss issues like this may be harder to track down and fix. But I hope they'll track it down; it must be frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...

Exact same problem. Samsung Note 9.  OS 8.1.0

I'm alarmed to see that this is a two year problem, and it is still unresolved-- and seems to not be a priority at evernote. 

This bug makes the premium app frustrating to the point of being unusable.  

As has been observed already, a different keyboard doesn't resolve the problem.  And turning off predictive text across all apps on the entire device actually creates a bigger problem than the one I've got.  

Why can't evernote fix the 2 year old problem?  They either cannot, or just don't care?  I'm trying out OneNote.  I hate MS, but you can type notes into Onenote without the app destroying them. 

• Level 5
On 12/4/2018 at 2:22 AM, Smonk said:

As has been observed already, a different keyboard doesn't resolve the problem.  And turning off predictive text across all apps on the entire device actually creates a bigger problem than the one I've got.  

Why can't evernote fix the 2 year old problem?  They either cannot, or just don't care?  I'm trying out OneNote.  I hate MS, but you can type notes into Onenote without the app destroying them. 

Well ... as I have observed myself, I use a different keyboard (Smart Keyboard Pro), and I do not have the problem. Some particular interaction between Evernote and particular keyboard apps doing predictive text, perhaps in specific versions of Android, seems to be at fault. It's obviously a bear of a problem to have, and I don't blame you for not wanting to turn off predictive text or for looking into other apps. My own suspicion is that because it is so limited in scope, it's difficult to track down and fix, or else can't be given as high a priority as other issues. IAC, I hope that OneNote will work out for you; and I certainly hope EN gets this fixed for the people it affects.

"because it is so limited in scope, it's difficult to track down and fix"

That makes sense but why in the first place is it only an issue so I Evernote and no other app? Sounds like Evernote messed up rather than it being a keyboard compatibility issue..

• Level 5

I agree that it is most likely something that Evernote did that has caused the problem with certain keyboard apps. It does not happen with all keyboards, which (I imagine) may be one reason it's hard to track down. But I don't actually know any more about what's happening behind the scenes than anyone else.

I think I may have solve this problem. At least on my phone. On the suggestion of my nephew, who's a tech wizard, I downloaded the Google keyboard from the play store. I switched over to that as defalt instead of the Samsung keyboard. I have NOT been able to duplicate any of the errors I was getting before. Problem solved. At least on my phone, and my wife's. Bonus being, I find I like Google's keyboard way better than Samsung's. Give it a try. See if it works for you.

Below is my previous post when I first start experiencing these problems:

I've been getting an error when typing in evernote. 

Say I type a word, and miss a letter. If I put the cursor in the middle of that word to try to add or correct it. It adds extra letters.
 I've uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote. I even have a new phone now, and It still does it. I just recently tried it on my wife's phone. Her's does the same thing. is anyone else getting this? 
My current evernote version is 8.6.1
 This happens on my Samsung note 9, my old Samsung S9 edge, and my wife's Samsung S9
Examples:
Tist (say I mistyped test)
TTest ( If I place the curser after the i, backspace then added an e, it adds an extra T)

Tech  (say I mistyped teach)
TeTeach  ( If I place curser after the e to add an a. It added Te...)

Wandiring (say I mistyped wandering)
WandWandering ( I placed the curser after the i to add an e. It added Wand... )

On 11/30/2018 at 12:18 AM, Smonk said:

Exact same problem. Samsung Note 9.  OS 8.1.0

I'm alarmed to see that this is a two year problem, and it is still unresolved-- and seems to not be a priority at evernote. 

This bug makes the premium app frustrating to the point of being unusable.  

I agree! - I have stopped using my phone to type notes

(Evernote Premium, Samsung S9, Samsung keyboard, Android Ver 8.0.0, Samsung Vers 9.0). 

So, my issue definitely seems to be similar.

I type a note, I make a typing error, I go back to the word and select the suggested word Evernote offers. It adds the new complete word and leaves the original error. If I am halfway through the word, I get the new word in the middle of the wrong word.

Alternatively, I half type a word, and it suggests what I could be typing, click the suggestion and it puts the word in twice. Two complete versions of the same word. 

I downloaded the google keyboard to see if that solves it. Not sure why, as I am not using the swype function of the keyboard, I am individual letter typing (fat thumbs, hence the mistakes!). 

I'd say this issue started around the summer update for me. I am using a Galaxy S8 edge. It says Evernote is up to date. 

Kinda need you to sort it or I won't be the first person to complete a Novel via Evernote... no pressure... 🤣🤣

• Level 5
8 hours ago, betnel said:

I agree! - I have stopped using my phone to type notes

(Evernote Premium, Samsung S9, Samsung keyboard, Android Ver 8.0.0, Samsung Vers 9.0). 

@betnel, have you tried the solution just suggested, to install Google keyboard and use it instead of the Samsung keyboard? Some have found this to be successful:

On 12/9/2018 at 2:00 PM, mikelphoto said:

I think I may have solve this problem. At least on my phone. On the suggestion of my nephew, who's a tech wizard, I downloaded the Google keyboard from the play store. I switched over to that as defalt instead of the Samsung keyboard. I have NOT been able to duplicate any of the errors I was getting before. Problem solved. At least on my phone, and my wife's. Bonus being, I find I like Google's keyboard way better than Samsung's. Give it a try. See if it works for you.

Warning when installing Google keyboard:

Attention  
Gboard may be able to collect all the text you type, including personal data such as passwords and credit card numbers.  

CANCEL  OK

Um, ***** that.  

On 12/13/2018 at 11:40 PM, Smonk said:

Warning when installing Google keyboard:

Attention  
Gboard may be able to collect all the text you type, including personal data such as passwords and credit card numbers.  

CANCEL  OK

Um, ***** that.  

Yes, I received the same warning. Did not install Google Keyboard.... I'm willing to pay for a working keyboard, just like I pay for Evernote. But I shouldn't have to buy something to fix Evernote's programming errors.  It is frustrating that Evernote is not working on a fix. 

On 12/15/2018 at 6:54 PM, betnel said:

Yes, I received the same warning. Did not install Google Keyboard.... I'm willing to pay for a working keyboard, just like I pay for Evernote. But I shouldn't have to buy something to fix Evernote's programming errors.  It is frustrating that Evernote is not working on a fix. 

indeed.  not a single damn seems to be given by evernote.  we don't even get a "we regret the inconvenience", and they don't seem to follow their own support forums.  

shockingly poor customer service.  

• Level 5
On 12/15/2018 at 6:54 PM, betnel said:

14 hours ago, Smonk said:

indeed.  not a single damn seems to be given by evernote.  we don't even get a "we regret the inconvenience", and they don't seem to follow their own support forums.  

shockingly poor customer service.  

I suggested this in a post that may be one of the ones the forum software is having trouble with, so apologies if it ends up duplicated. Please take a look at the several posts in this thread by @Matt W.. It's been a long time, for sure, but there's no evidence they're not working on it or ignoring it, and they are definitely following the forum.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:22 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I suggested this in a post that may be one of the ones the forum software is having trouble with, so apologies if it ends up duplicated. Please take a look at the several posts in this thread by @Matt W.. It's been a long time, for sure, but there's no evidence they're not working on it or ignoring it, and they are definitely following the forum.

the simple existence of a two year old bug is itself evidence that they are obviously not working on it, most likely because they are ignoring it.  

however, if they're actually watching us in this forum while we struggle with a two year old bug, then that's probably even more egregious than ignoring us. 

either way, onenote is looking better every day.  

• Level 5
On 12/18/2018 at 11:10 PM, Smonk said:

the simple existence of a two year old bug is itself evidence that they are obviously not working on it, most likely because they are ignoring it.  

however, if they're actually watching us in this forum while we struggle with a two year old bug, then that's probably even more egregious than ignoring us. 

either way, onenote is looking better every day.  

Or evidence that it's harder to fix than it looks, or that it's a problem for only a small subset of users, or that it's Samsung's or Google's problem and not Evernote's. I wish an Evernote employee would step in here with a progress report. But annoyed suspicion is not a logical deduction from unequivocal evidence, only annoyed suspicion. How do I know? I've been married for a loooong time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Being a foolhardy person.. I installed Google keyboard. It's actually a really nice keyboard. The Swype function works across all apps. Searching for things it can connect straight to Google from the keyboard. The warning is fair, as there will inevitably be a cache and/or cookies of some description. But no worse than any of the standard acceptances we make everyday.

Sadly, the consensus seems to be right. No one has committed that a fix is being worked on over the period the issue has been evident. I can agree that formulating a system to work with every device manufactured can't be an easy task. Just such a weird one for a writing tool to have!

Back to the real writing.. and by writing.. I mean swyping!! 

If i hit the space bar it deletes words that i just wrote. If i try and push enter to go to the next line, it jumbles all of the letters in previous lines. The PC version seems fine, just the app on my phone does this. I have gotten a brand new note 9 since then. So i know the phone itself is not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Samsung Note 8 

Android 8.0.0

Evernote Ver 8.7.0

Same typing glitch problem here. Didn't know the glitch has been here for more than 2 years and without a concrete/permanent solution. 

On 12/17/2018 at 11:22 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The last 5 or 6 updates have brought us dark mode, which the powers that be seem to be utterly infatuated with.  

We can't type notes from a droid, but people can have cool dark screens. 

Cake.  Icing.   Fools. 

If this isn't THE walking epitome of retarded priorities, then it doesn't damn well exist. 

• Level 5
25 minutes ago, Smonk said:

The last 5 or 6 updates have brought us dark mode, which the powers that be seem to be utterly infatuated with.  

We can't type notes from a droid, but people can have cool dark screens. 

Cake.  Icing.   Fools. 

If this isn't THE walking epitome of retarded priorities, then it doesn't damn well exist. 

I have no problem at all typing notes on my Android, and neither do most users, from what I can see. There is a problem, but it only crops up in a limited number of situations, which many or most of us are fortunate enough not to be in.

If you think only "the powers that be" are infatuated with dark mode, please just search on the forums for it. People have been requesting/demanding/screaming for it for ages. It's human nature (I know it's my nature) to assume that the problem I'm having is the only or the most significant problem; and then all those other fools insist that they have real needs too.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:19 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I have no problem at all typing notes on my Android, and neither do most users, from what I can see. There is a problem, but it only crops up in a limited number of situations, which many or most of us are fortunate enough not to be in.

If you think only "the powers that be" are infatuated with dark mode, please just search on the forums for it. People have been requesting/demanding/screaming for it for ages. It's human nature (I know it's my nature) to assume that the problem I'm having is the only or the most significant problem; and then all those other fools insist that they have real needs too.

You don't KNOW how limited it is or is not. You merely know (and all you seem to care about) that you aren't inconvenienced.  If you don't have the problem, why are you constantly in the thread dedicated to the problem?  It just seems odd. Are you an Evernote employee?

Your weird and constant fanboy apologia is getting in the way if those who are having the problem from getting the attention we need,  and in many cases, have paid for. 

So, please stop being part of the problem.  

6 hours ago, Smonk said:

You don't KNOW how limited it is or is not. You merely know (and all you seem to care about) that you aren't inconvenienced.  If you don't have the problem, why are you constantly in the thread dedicated to the problem?  It just seems odd. Are you an Evernote employee?

Your weird and constant fanboy apologia is getting in the way if those who are having the problem from getting the attention we need,  and in many cases, have paid for. 

Right on! I have paid for and used Evernote for years. Over that time there have been several programming 'improvements' that changed some very popular program features. I believe that it was the repeated posting and direct contact with EN that finally got them fixed. 

Yes, this funky problem seems to have multiple contributing variables making it difficult to solve. One would think that EN could dedicate resources to analyze the timeline of the reported onset and and compare it to EN programming 'improvements', android version changes , and include operating system environmental variables ( (tablet?, phone?, provider customization, etc), and any steps that 'fixed' it. 

• Level 5
8 hours ago, Smonk said:

Well, I don't think you really know how limited or widespread it is either, eh? As I said, I consider myself fortunate not to be experiencing it, and I do feel sympathy for those who are stuck with it.

Of course I'm not an Evernote employee--if I were it would say so under my avatar. I come here mainly to point those who have just found the thread, and are posting that they also have the problem, toward the suggestions that have been made earlier in the thread regarding possible workarounds, such as using a different keyboard. I don't blame people for not doing that before they post, but because I've been in and out of the thread for awhile, I try to help by pointing out posts in it that I'm aware of.

I don't know whether this will be enough to justify my presence here to you, which you seem to think I need to do. I also don't see how I'm doing anything to prevent you from getting the necessary attention. But fine: I will accept your censorious proscription, and exile myself from the thread. I hope it helps. Only one last question: since the reports here are not getting the attention you would like, and I see you have a Premium subscription, have you raised a support ticket with Evernote?

I'm having a similar problem on my Galaxy Note 8. It seems to be related to the phone's predictive text function, which causes the note to actually type a weird, jumbled version of the word the phone underlined. This happens even if auto-replace is disabled. It also happens on both the mainstream and beta versions of the app.

This happens any time I go back and edit existing text. This makes correcting mistakes a NIGHTMARE.

To tell you the truth, I now realize Evernote has a much bigger problem. This service is notorious for how little it values user feedback, and after 4 months of this I am inclined to believe - and warn others - about how terrible Evernote is as a service.

First, there is NO EASY WAY to report bugs or provide feedback. No email address in the app, no email address on the website, nothing.

The app can provide you an error log, but doesn't provide where you're supposed to send it to.

The website shows you how to prepare a ticket... but doesn't tell you where to submit it.

After further investigation, it becomes clear that there IS an email link... but only for premium users. I have never seen any service on the internet display such greed, impertinence, and incompetence.

Feedback is feedback. You WANT feedback. It doesn't matter if the user pays or not.

After jumping through 70 hoops, and having a problem of this nature for months - so much so that continuing to use the app in this state is giving me bad typing habits, and getting flung around the app and the website looking for a way to report my issue, I got so frustrated I came all the way out to this forum just to say this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 11:25 PM, Saito Yui said:

I'm having a similar problem on my Galaxy Note 8. It seems to be related to the phone's predictive text function, which causes the note to actually type a weird, jumbled version of the word the phone underlined. This happens even if auto-replace is disabled. It also happens on both the mainstream and beta versions of the app.

This happens any time I go back and edit existing text. This makes correcting mistakes a NIGHTMARE.

To tell you the truth, I now realize Evernote has a much bigger problem. This service is notorious for how little it values user feedback, and after 4 months of this I am inclined to believe - and warn others - about how terrible Evernote is as a service.

First, there is NO EASY WAY to report bugs or provide feedback. No email address in the app, no email address on the website, nothing.

The app can provide you an error log, but doesn't provide where you're supposed to send it to.

The website shows you how to prepare a ticket... but doesn't tell you where to submit it.

After further investigation, it becomes clear that there IS an email link... but only for premium users. I have never seen any service on the internet display such greed, impertinence, and incompetence.

Feedback is feedback. You WANT feedback. It doesn't matter if the user pays or not.

After jumping through 70 hoops, and having a problem of this nature for months - so much so that continuing to use the app in this state is giving me bad typing habits, and getting flung around the app and the website looking for a way to report my issue, I got so frustrated I came all the way out to this forum just to say this.

Yeah, you inspired me to make an account as well just to reverberate this. Anyone reading would do well to avoid evernote like the plague. I haven’t used it in months, and it used to be my favorite app. This gamebreaking bug has never been fixed and it never will. I agree with the others in this thread that I’ve never witnessed such blatant lack of regard for paying users by a company. Good job guys. I hope your service crashes and burns someday, sincerely.

I’m actually noticing even now as I type in chrome with my keyboard (keyboard 69/nintype) that the comment editor on this website has some of the exact same problems as the actual app. Well done, devs! I can't help but to chortle. Truly amazing 

The only reason that I haven't made to move to Onenote is because their migration tool is pretty glitchy when moving my extensive set of notebooks over.  

Their support actually gives a damn, though, so I will get there at some point soon.  

. . . And when your support sucks compared to Microsoft,  FFS, then you well and truly set the standard for sucking support.  

Seems like there are plenty people experiencing this issue and being ignored, anybody interested in getting organized and coordinating a Twitter "attack" where we all report this issue at the same time? Maybe if we overwhelm customer support for a few hours or days they'll pay attention and start acting like customer support.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, Ettelaiv said:

Haha I doubt we have the numbers to do much interference :), the point is just to show customer service that we exist and are not going away now although they chose to ignore us for two years

I'm in.  I think hitting their social media with this problem is a great idea.  It will also alert potential new users to the shabby treatment of their existing customers. 

• 2 weeks later...

This issue has been open for 3 years without action.  Why they can't just use a standard input method like every other app is beyond me.  This kind of buggy coding, both on Android as well as desktop, without any chance of action by the developers, is what has kept me from being a paid subscriber. 

• Level 5
18 hours ago, Proft said:

This issue has been open for 3 years without action.  Why they can't just use a standard input method like every other app is beyond me.  This kind of buggy coding, both on Android as well as desktop, without any chance of action by the developers, is what has kept me from being a paid subscriber. 

A couple of thoughts: This is not an issue that affects every Android user of Evernote; it seems to be related to the use of predictive text with particular keyboards. The exact cause, and how widespread the issue is, may not be as easy to track down as it seems. Also, I'm not sure how much of an option a "standard input method" is given Evernote's desire to have similar (though they can't be perfectly identical) experiences across multiple platforms, while also upgrading the editor. But I know nothing about Android programming.

All that said, I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for the users who are experiencing it. I do wish that Evernote staff would at least pop in here and acknowledge (again) that they're aware of the problem and are working on it, and perhaps even indicate some dimensions of what the problem is (without giving away proprietary information).

No one else beside Smonk and I that is motivated to hit their social media? Seems like the only effective option.. 

On an other note, I had to give up Evernote because of this issue and I ended up in Zoho Notebooks. Still a few querks but very promising and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative. I OneNote is powerful but I couldn't get used to the layout..

Archived