Disable Auto Correction

John Syrinek

Idea

+1 for adding cmd-z to undo auto-correct but keep word (same for backspace + retype). This constantly frustrates me.

-1 for turning auto-correct off by default (or even bother adding the option). That's throwing the baby out with the bath water. Some minor improvements would probably eliminate the common frustration enough that people are fine leaving it on.

5 replies to this idea

Hi @John Syrinek and @Gal;

You can disable spell-check on a system wide level on your Mac by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Text and unchecking "Correct spelling Automatically."

You can also Command+Click on the underlined word and then select "Learn Spelling" to add that word to your Mac's dictionary.

To disable spell-check in a particular note in the Evernote application, click into the body of a note, then select Edit > Spelling and Grammar.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Autocomplete when I'm writing notes is usually helpful but sometimes I write words that autocomplete does not agree with. For example, customer names or foreign words. That's when autocomplete kicks in and corrects them. BUT, if I go back and change the correction back to what I want the word to be or I undo and write it again, autocomplete insists on fixing the word again!

Don't do that.

I know what I'm doing so don't fix the word again. If I fixed the autocomplete, let it go. Every other text editor out there is not that stubborn.

While this is helpful, I think the previous two poster's points are very valid.  The Evernote spell check is really, really aggressive, to the point of not being useful.  I'm using Evernote on OSX, and in other apps when auto-correct fixes I word for me and I disagree, I can simply backspace and fix.  Auto-correct doesn't kick in when I'm fixing a word.  In Evernote, auto-correct *always* kicks in.  So, my only option is to fix the text, pick up my mouse, dismiss the incorrect suggestion, and then continue typing.  That's enough that the community here is desperately looking for ways to turn off auto correct entirely.  The better solution would be for Evernote to fix the application to behave like other applications regarding spell check.

BSR - please try using Evernote and another OSX application side-by-side with words that aren't in the dictionary (technical words or whatever).  Your experience in Evernote will be frustrating, and will require the mouse to be successful.

"+1 for adding cmd-z to undo auto-correct but keep word (same for backspace + retype). This constantly frustrates me."

Agreed. I'm downloading an Evernote alternative as we speak because of this. After paying premium for several years, I'm tired of the way that Evernote just seems to get worse for me.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:58 PM, Andrew Beers said:

While this is helpful, I think the previous two poster's points are very valid.  The Evernote spell check is really, really aggressive, to the point of not being useful.  I'm using Evernote on OSX, and in other apps when auto-correct fixes I word for me and I disagree, I can simply backspace and fix.  Auto-correct doesn't kick in when I'm fixing a word.  In Evernote, auto-correct *always* kicks in.  So, my only option is to fix the text, pick up my mouse, dismiss the incorrect suggestion, and then continue typing.  That's enough that the community here is desperately looking for ways to turn off auto correct entirely.  The better solution would be for Evernote to fix the application to behave like other applications regarding spell check.

BSR - please try using Evernote and another OSX application side-by-side with words that aren't in the dictionary (technical words or whatever).  Your experience in Evernote will be frustrating, and will require the mouse to be successful.

I'm absolutely with Andrew! I've never discovered a similar behavior in any other writing app, let it be Word, Outliner, InDesgin, etc. This aggressive word correction is a waste of time, when you have to write the mis-corrected word to the end, then pick up the cursor, place it in between the wrong letters and manually type again. This is also very much annoying when adding tags. Let's say I added a tag "ACR". In a different note I'd like to add the tag "account" and Evernote is correcting this to "ACcount", based on the one and only tag it finds that starts with "ac". I'd like to mention that I've disabled auto-correct in system preferences long time before using Evernote, so this can't be an issue of the operating system I read so much here before. 

Archived