[REQUEST] Fingerprint support to unlock

yhn

Idea

Just like on the iPhone with Touch ID, the ability to unlock the app with fingerprint on Android. Since many Android handsets are coming with fingerprint scanner (I have a Nexus 5X), this would be very convenient.

• Like 2

24 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 7/6/2016 at 11:10 AM, gazumped said:

(I appreciate that the link talks about iOS unlocking too - but why do it twice??)

I agree and would like to understand this request better too.  When the OS provides a way to lock (I'm thinking iOS, don't know about Android), why is it needed at the app level?  I've seen this request in the Windows desktop forum and am just wondering what I'm missing.  I was puzzled when it was introduced for iOS.

• Like 2
On 7/6/2016 at 11:10 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Why unlock the phone with a fingerprint and then unlock Evernote too?  Isn't the one protection sufficient?  Have you looked at pass code locking?  (I appreciate that the link talks about iOS unlocking too - but why do it twice??)

Not my request, but I assume that some folks need to hand their phone over to someone, but don't want to provide full access. That might include children or customers.

• Level 5*

I still can't see a situation where I would want my EN data locked but it would be ok for someone to have access to my contacts, emails, texts, etc ...  Not complaining, just trying to understand the use case for this request.

On 7/15/2016 at 4:23 PM, s2sailor said:

I still can't see a situation where I would want my EN data locked but it would be ok for someone to have access to my contacts, emails, texts, etc ...  Not complaining, just trying to understand the use case for this request.

Guess: other app is may be locked down already.

• Level 5*

I unlock my phone by fingerprint (Samsung Note4) which seems pretty cool.  It autolocks pretty quickly (sometimes too quickly) and I can always manually lock it.  I also get fingerprint login with my LastPass app - which I find just a pain.  If I'm logged into the phone...

• Like 1
On Wednesday, July 06, 2016 at 6:10 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Why unlock the phone with a fingerprint and then unlock Evernote too?  Isn't the one protection sufficient?  Have you looked at pass code locking?  (I appreciate that the link talks about iOS unlocking too - but why do it twice??)

The same reason why the folks at Evernote thought it would be a good idea to implement an app level passcode.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I don't think random inspiration gets a high priority amongst feature requests... ;)

I don't think it's my random inspiration at all. I think it is the random inspiration of the developers by bringing it to a platform one day then leaving the others in the dark.

I don't think that this should even be treated as a feature request at all, all I want is a consistent app that looks like and functions the same on different platforms - that's what Evernote is famous for compared to its rivals.

Fingerprint capabilities were brought to iOS on September 2014 - I repeat, 2014. Now which note taking app would follow the rules of consistency in design, if the world-renowned Evernote won't?

Now it's obvious from your previous posts that you won't fancy this feature, but there are people who do and need it, so lets not argue about its necessity and lets just let the ones who ask for a consistent design to address their concerns. If the devs thought it was a good idea to implement it, why still question if it's required or not - especially when you can simply not turn it on if you don't like.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I was actually looking for a compelling use case to explain why this particular feature should be a priority when so many others are also being demanded by other users.  So far there are 5 votes in favour.  I don't know whether that's going to be enough to see any movement here...

+1 from me for fingerprint unlocking instead of a PIN. 

With Android 6.0 the fingerprint API is available and a lot of apps do make use of it as an additional protection layer. Can't see why Evernote is still without it :-(

• Like 1
On 7/20/2016 at 6:57 PM, Minas1985 said:

I also vote for fingerprint in Android! I just moved from ios and it was very good that feature. I also know many friends using fingerprint in ios evernote

I don't understand why Evernote hasn't implemented fingerprint unlocking in Android yet. But the great thing about Android is that there's nothing you can't do. If you still want to lock Evernote, download AppLock (supports fingerprint) from the Play Store and lock not just Evernote but any app you want.

• Like 1
Thank you for your feedback and ideas in the forums on fingerprint lock. We’re very happy to deliver this feature in the Evernote Android app available now in the Play Store.

Fingerprint scan is an enhancement to passcode lock. If you have a fingerprint on your device with Evernote’s passcode lock enabled, you have the option to quickly unlock Evernote with your fingerprint.

Please note that the feature is only available on devices that support Android’s official fingerprint scan. Those of us on a small percentage of devices that have an incompatible fingerprint scan, like the Samsung Note 4, will be able to use passcode lock only.

Please keep your feedback coming, we’re listening!

This feature shouldn't really be hidden under the title "Set up passcode lock"... You should rename it as "Additional Security"

On 7/12/2017 at 4:09 AM, May Allen said:

If you have a fingerprint on your device with Evernote’s passcode lock enabled