Evernote Price Plans - Suggestion: New Price Tier

DTLow

Idea

• Level 5*

This is a continuation of the previous price discussions and is a suggestion that Evernote implement a new price tier.  This would have the same limits as the Basic tier, but not have the device limitation

Please indicate your support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion  Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 8.08.26 AM.png

54 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Artsynova said:

I have over 16K notes and not even a quarter of that appears on my computer. My computer Evernote shows a red question mark, it does not sink. I still see my notes online, though, so not all is lost.

I did back up some time back but not recently.

It would help if you identify your platform.  Each platform is different.  For example, I use a Mac.

It looks like you're having sync issues.  Does the activity log identify any details?

This is a good idea. I applied a vote up here.

I should note though that in my case this would be too late. As someone who has already transitioned away (to OneNote) this would not be appealing enough to draw me back.

But I can guarantee if the option of $10-$15 a year would have allowed me to not have a device limit, I would have stayed with Evernote.

I was actually thinking rather than introducing another tier that they should probably simplify their pricing. Everyone agrees that the 2 device limit is ridiculous, so don't compromise by introducing a Basic+ tier. 

Perhaps instead EN should show grace and revise the basic tier removing the device limit. And as well as that, simplify the Plus/Premium options and just have one option priced accordingly to access all features (some of which most people probably never go anywhere near anyway).

I can't see it happening though, wouldn't want to lose face.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, House said:

Everyone agrees that the 2 device limit is ridiculous, so don't compromise by introducing a Basic+ tier. 

Not everyone; maybe all the users who don't want to pay their way.

Personally, I think not charging for your product is ridiculous.  I'd put a time limit on it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all for paying. If the service is to survive it needs paying customers. Just thinking that perhaps number of devices isn't the best restriction to get people to pay. Like you say, maybe a trial period would be better.

I have the free version of Evernote. I like one or two of the paid-version features, but that's not enough of an incentive to go from paying ZERO dollars to paying $50 for whatever, that jump is luuuudacris. What is with the vaaaaaast price jump?

Anyways, here's my suggestion. I won't pay $50 for an upgraded account, but I would pay $5 or $10 to upgrade a single feature that is appealing to me, lets say, access to notes history. Evernote should offer affordable mini-purchases for the huge demographic of users that are on the free version, like myself, and will never make the jump to the paid versions.

I definitely agree. Other than offline access and syncing devices, all the other features are completely useless to me. I would love to pay for Evernote to help them survive but I feel cheated having to pay so much for features I definitely do not care about. 

It seems to me that the pricing plans were based on usage for corporate business usage that had high volumes of emails and notes for meetings.

I use Evernote for personal use to organize my research and my projects and definitely do not mind paying $35 a year as long they are for features that I care about like annotating pdf and searching through pdfs. Features like higher upload caps, customer support, and email support are not what I need.

I paid for this year begrudgingly but I am overall very angry and am very likely to leave after the year is over.

First: I like EN's solution for a free level because it's basically a very good trial account.

Second: Yes, I think a lower tier is needed. Actually I think the "Plus" should be left as is--just dropped to $15/year. No more than $20. I only signed up for "Plus" because I caught it on sale and am still in the process of migrating notes. I may not renew next year if it's still $35.

I feel like EN is trying to make up for their mistake of providing too much free service for way too long. Trying to fix a mistake with another mistake.

I can see at least one reason why they might not consider implementing this idea: people like me who are paying one of the other plans might get the idea to pay for this cheaper level instead (in fact, I never paid for Evernote until they added the Plus plan, so a paid basic plan might be tempting, hehehe).  I have no need for the Premium plan, or a ton of space for images, just a need to sync all my devices freely, my only reason for using the Plus plan currently.  

Now if they add dark theme to the plus plan, I could be convinced to stay at that price level.  At the premium level, doubtful, too much money for something I consider basic.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Pavy said:

I can see at least one reason why they might not consider implementing this idea: people like me who are paying one of the other plans might get the idea to pay for this cheaper level instead (in fact,

For sure, that's always the danger of having the different price tiers.

otoh   There's over 100 million users on the free tier.  Supposedly the device limit was so upsetting that a % of the non-paying user's would be willing to start paying to have more than two simultaneous devices 

At this point I stopped supporting any idea on Evernote.  Until 2 weeks ago I was getting emails to fill surveys from them and they congratulated me for being on top, they said that I fill Evernote faster than anyone, big deal, but then when I actually began to filing the surveys my Evernote began to mess up, Now I am missing hundreds of notes on my computer and is exasperating!!!

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Artsynova said:

when I actually began to filing the surveys my Evernote began to mess up, Now I am missing hundreds of notes on my computer and is exasperating!!!

Did you mean to post in the discussion requesting a new price tier?

I have over 8000 notes, and no issue with missing notes.
I have a backup process to ensure I can recover if data goes missing.

Do you need assistance with recovering your hundreds of notes?

• Generally, notes don't go missing.
  • If deleted, the notes go to the Trash notebook.
  • Some users misplace notes because they have multiple accounts.
  • A master version of your notes is synced to the Evernote servers and can be retrieved there.

I have over 16K notes and not even a quarter of that appears on my computer. My computer Evernote shows a red question mark, it does not sink. I still see my notes online, though, so not all is lost.

I did back up some time back but not recently.

Thanks for this topic. I voted up.

As I said on the price change topic I'd like to stay, but not at the current Plus price. Something $15 or under would be perfect with just the device limit removed. I use about 1MB/month currently. I don't use any other features that I know of. $35 for extra devices is just steep.

For the past week I've been exploring the web app. It's not great, but it allows me to access my notes on all my devices. I'm sticking with that for now in hopes Evernote in a month or two offers this extra tier. I'd rather pay a bit for the extra devices than use the web app.

I personally like the idea for a different price tier, but for me I just don't want to get into another renting subscription.  Some months for me are tight.  I don't want to start paying penalties because I am laden with a number of monthly or yearly subscription services that come at the wrong time.

What I would have no trouble with is paying a 1 time fee of let's say $50 for what once was free at the basic level.

I do like having more than 2 devices to access data.  I did enjoy Evernote when it was like that.  I also don't need more storage data as in the other plans.

There are many other note taking applications to choose from.  The issue I have slowing the conversion to this is that I have a lot already set up with Evernote.

I have wished to somehow communicate my personal opinion to Evernote but didn't really know how to make the appeal.

I would like to be a paying customer, but not in a way that makes me less financially stable.

Please bring in a non rent option.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Paul Imm said:

I thought this was supplied with the free Basic account

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Paul Imm said:

I would like to be a paying customer, but not in a way that makes me less financially stable.

The question should always come down to this: is the value you're receiving worth what you're paying? If 35 or 70 dollars a year makes you financially less stable, then it doesn't sound like you should be paying that much for Evernote, or maybe give something else up so that that amount doesn't make you less financially stable.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I thought this was supplied with the free Basic account

Yes, there is a free option but it is with 2 devices.  There are powerful options available on the PC (such as web clipping) that aren't available on a smart phone.  Since I have only 2 devices I have to make a choice on whether I put my notes on a device that I will be using everywhere or something that might have more features.  I have chosen to place it on my phone and tablet to have notes on the go.  I would really like to have the clipping ability, and it is lost.

There already are 2 rent options which I dislike because I don't use enough data to fit well in any of these plans.  It would be good to have a pay to own option to have this on all my devices.  The device limitation stifles experimentation on different devices as a cohesive whole.  The pay to own option would allow the user to really get comfortable with all that Evernote can do across platforms.  Once Evernote has been determined to be a can't live without note taking option (because now I'm going beyond my data limit) perhaps it is time to look at one of the monthly options.  As is I avoid monthly options like the plague because it is so easy to get in a financial bad situation.  Necessity would perhaps change my stance, but I won't get to that level because I'm not able to experiment with Evernote at work, at my PC at home as well as on the go.

Perhaps I am a minority within this thread but I don't think rent options are the only way to move up.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, immped64 said:

I'm not able to experiment with Evernote at work, at my PC at home as well as on the go.

You are able to "experiment" on as many devices you like.  

The restriction is two simultaneous devices; you can swap out the devices you're not using 

Make sure you sync before swapping out devices

For me as a student, I find the price reasonable since I find the features much better than Onenote (Not to offend anyone) and this helped me to reduce so much of spending money on buying multiple pens and stacks of paper every month. So I guess either way is fine? But "Patron" plan could be good as I could recommend it to my friends so that I can easily share with them. ( Sorry for the bad English ). Currently, I only find Evernote suitable for usage in school.
paying through my own pocket money here.

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

You are able to "experiment" on as many devices you like.  

The restriction is two simultaneous devices; you can swap out the devices you're not using 

Make sure you sync before swapping out devices

DTLow, I'm glad I chimed in because I didn't realize this.

In reading the device limitations description it appears that you need to sign in and sign out to switch from one device being active to being inactive.  Henceforth as you suggest it is necessary to sync before swapping out devices.

Thank you for clearing this up.

I still have to say however that I would be more than willing to pay a one time fee to have the device restriction removed.

Vote for you!

The first tier is indeed relatively expensive for me personally.

And on my way searching for a free alternative of Evernote, I came across Maxnote, which is an insult note-taking and sharing app in Maxthon browser.

The point is that it's FREE and it's inbuilt in the browser, so you just have to download the browser, no more extension like Clip is needed anymore.

And Maxthon offers 5GB free storage, this, in my opinion, is fairly enough for ordinary users like me.

Just a suggestion here, and give you one more way out. Private message me and we can share some tips on using both Evernote and Maxnote. Why not?

I do see the need for putting a device limit on the Free Tier. It definitely separates those who are doing a preview of EverNote vs those who are using it in their day-to-day life.

But I gave you an upvote because the Plus Tier contains way too many features that I don't use at all. The only one I use, but is no biggie, is probably the offline notebook feature. So yeah, it doesn't feel nice to be paying money for a whole much of pointless features. In fact I had let my subscription expire because my office recently took back my carryhome laptop so I have only 2 devices for the next few months. Might subscribe back in the future but we'll see how things go.

• Level 5*
On 5/13/2017 at 3:03 PM, immped64 said:

Much of the software business has moved to (or is moving toward) a subscription-based model, so it's not just Evernote (Microsoft, Adobe, etc).

Subscription models offer significant benefits to software companies, and customers seem to be willing to go along, so I don't think software will be going back to the outright purchase model.

What makes more sense in the context of where the software business is, is multiple subscription tiers to tailor subscription plans to customer desires.

But with each tier, a company needs to figure how many customers will jump up from a lower (or free) tier to how many will drop down from a higher tier.

I, too, am hesitant to purchase a plus or premium because I don't need all the features. I'd much rather pay for a lifetime basic subscription with a higher upload limit or some kind of cafeteria plan where I can pick the features I actually would use.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, KathyH said:

I'd much rather pay for a lifetime basic subscription with a higher upload limit or some kind of cafeteria plan where I can pick the features I actually would use.

>>I don't need all the features

For Evernote to process your data for n years, the lifetime plan could be very expensive
Instead of paying yearly, you're really willing to pay in a single amount

I commit for a year but I don't want to go longer than that

>>some kind of cafeteria plan where I can pick the features I actually would use
That would work for me

• Level 5
On 7/6/2016 at 8:10 AM, DTLow said:

On 7/5/2016 at 9:57 AM, jbenson2 said:

The problem with the Evernote voting system is there is no way to down vote. The only way you can voice your concern with the voting system is if you agree with the proposal.

On 7/5/2016 at 10:02 AM, DTLow said:

Did you notice the votiing button has both up and down arrows  Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 8.56.19 AM.png

On 7/5/2016 at 1:38 PM, jbenson2 said:

Yup. That is one of the reasons I question the validity of the Evernote voting system. I will continue to use the text comments in the forum. Descriptive comments definitely get more attention, feedback and participation.

There's nothing to stop you from using both
I prefer to discourage the +1ers; they don't usually add any other decriptive comment

There is nothing to stop me from using text comments in the forum - just like I am doing right now..

But...

There definitely is something to prevent me from down-voting a suggestion. It does not work.

I support the idea of a 1 euro / month, 10 euros / year plan. Call it "Patron", for example.

I'm in that weird place myself where Evernote is definitely useful to me as a digital filing cabinet, but apart from the password lock on mobile devices - which was recently moved to the Basic tier (and was not worth the subscription price alone) - none of the features on the higher tiers have held any appeal to me so far.

Even if I uploaded all of my notes, including the ones I don't due to privacy concerns, I would not use up 60 MB a month. I'm always connected, so I don't need offline notebooks on my mobile devices (and if I temporarily wasn't, on a trip for example, I could just use other apps to have access to information specific to that trip). I can already search for text in scanned PDFs because I do OCR in other apps (which also means those OCR results are not locked into Evernote, as I've been informed). I don't use Office products or deal with business cards or do presentations. Even the new limit of 2 concurrently logged in Evernote clients does not affect me, because that's exactly how I operate.

With the recent, heated discussion about Evernote's changes to their free service and pricing it's come to the point where - despite all of the above - I've even been considering buying a year of Premium just to cover my historical usage of Evernote at a price I'm willing to pay for the service; 1 euro a month. I've been an Evernote user since the beginning of 2012 (technically a few days into 2011), so that'd be 54 months / euros - close enough to the 60 euros that Premium now costs. That'd be fair. It's not an entirely bad idea, I think.

It does have some downsides, though:

1) I believe Evernote would benefit more from receiving a steady income from me (and by extension others), rather than 60 euros every 6 years (post-paid, since 6 years is much too long a time period to pre-pay for something no one knows the longevity or direction of)

2) I believe Evernote would get more accurate revenue data from receiving that 1 euro each month, than receiving 60 euros now (which they could only assume to be a payment for the next 12 months potentially followed by a renewal - which in this case would not come for another 6 years - rather than payment for the past 60 months)

3) I will feel weird about basically paying for features I will never use. That's on me, though

None of those are reason enough not to pay at all, but it's kind of weird that there does not exist a plan for this broad category of "people like me"; non-power users who find value in the software and service and would rather see Evernote succeed than fail.

• Level 5

The problem with the Evernote voting system is there is no way to down vote. The only way you can voice your concern with the voting system is if you agree with the proposal.

• Level 5*
On July 5, 2016 at 6:57 AM, jbenson2 said:

Did you notice the votiing button has both up and down arrows  Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 8.56.19 AM.png

Correction: You can only use the voting buttons to indicate your support

If you oppose a request I think the best approach is to post a comment

• Level 5
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Down button has always been disabled.

Yup. That is one of the reasons I question the validity of the Evernote voting system. I will continue to use the text comments in the forum. Descriptive comments definitely get more attention, feedback and participation.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

22 hours ago, DTLow said:

18 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

There's nothing to stop you from using both
I prefer to discourage the +1ers; they don't usually add any other decriptive comment

@gustavgi reported the voting down button has always been disabled.  
I'm not sure that's correct - I've always been able to up or down vote
Correction: I can only down vote my own vote, not add a down vote
                   Thanks for informing me - I will pass that on everytime an Evernote 
                                                             employee encourages us to vote

The down vote button doesn't work for me either - I can cancel my upvote with it, but not actually give a negative vote (tested). At first I thought it might be limited to people with more posts, but clearly that's not the case if users with hundreds or thousands of posts can't use it either.

Thank you for creating this topic, DTLow!

I'd pay about 1€/month or 10€/year for a tier without device limit. But 30€/year just to access my some fifty or sixty textnotes using the full client or app is just out of proportion

$1 per month for Basic without the device limit? Good for existing Basic users who do not need the advanced features and are not keen to switch to competitors. I would certainly consider such a plan, depending on the exchange rate, but reliability has to improve (constant freezing when I type in the Mac app is a huge disincentive to pay).

To make such a plan more viable, they could consider:
1. Adding one or two Plus/Premium features (or commonly requested features) that would be relevant for casual users, to increase the difference between the free tier and new tier, so users feel they are getting value for their money.
2. Adding very limited trials for most Plus/Premium features. Some casual users may eventually become heavy users or find a Plus/Premium feature useful, but may want to test the Plus/Premium features before deciding whether to upgrade to Plus/Premium.

Even with this new tier, new users (including those willing to pay) would probably dry up.

I've been a Basic plan Evernote user for a few years and find it useful. However, I am not a heavy user and can sometimes go a few weeks without using it. I have it on more than two devices but due to low usage cannot justify spending $Aus. $50.00 a year for the Plus plan.

I realize the company has to make money to be a viable business but surely they can come up with some lower priced plan for us occasional users. I'm not asking for an increase in the monthly storage limit as that seems adequate but the main complaint from the Basic users in this forum is in the two device limit. I'm sure a good percentage of them wouldn't mind paying a small price to see the limit removed or increased.

I, too, would like to second the suggestion. I'm feeling for a couple of years that I should pay something for the fine service provided by Evernote, but all the prices were more than I would be prepared to pay. I was perfectly happy with the restrictions of the free tier - except now the 2 devices limit hurts me.

I decided to pay the 30$ for the next year since I wanted to contribute something, anyway, but I'll regretfully move to a free service when there is still nothing in the range up to 10-15$ when it's subscription renewal time.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

There is nothing to stop me from using text comments in the forum - just like I am doing right now..

But...

There definitely is something to prevent me from down-voting a suggestion. It does not work.

Noted - I added this as a correction to my post

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, specscripter said:

Why is this in the Windows Desktop Product Feedback forum? You want to limit the new tier to Windows users?

The feedback forums (with voting) are set up by platform. I used the Windows forum because it's the most popular

Many requests apply to all platforms

If implemented, I'm confident a new tier will apply to all platforms.  If not, I'm ok with the Window users being the guinea pigs for new ideas.

On 4 July 2016 at 9:25 AM, JSP said:

With the recent, heated discussion about Evernote's changes to their free service and pricing it's come to the point where - despite all of the above - I've even been considering buying a year of Premium just to cover my historical usage of Evernote at a price I'm willing to pay for the service; 1 euro a month. I've been an Evernote user since the beginning of 2012 (technically a few days into 2011), so that'd be 54 months / euros - close enough to the 60 euros that Premium now costs. That'd be fair. It's not an entirely bad idea, I think.

For anyone who's curious, I went ahead with this idea. I did also write to mr. O'Neill about the problem going forward and how wonderful a "Patron" plan would be, but at least I got my own usage covered until the end of this year at a rate I feel good about.

I just voted.   But I suggested this a week ago, And have seen no indication they'll consider it.

I've already begun familiarizing with OneNote,  and many users vhave already converted. 

While I think the entry level tier is a great idea, I suspect it's too late to retain those who now use and recommend something other than nEverNote.   :(

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, plarkinjr said:

I just voted.   But I suggested this a week ago, And have seen no indication they'll consider it.

I've already begun familiarizing with OneNote,  and many users vhave already converted. 

While I think the entry level tier is a great idea, I suspect it's too late to retain those who now use and recommend something other than nEverNote.   :(

So Evernote loses another non-paying user

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, plarkinjr said:

More accurately,  Evernote loses another opportunity to turn a non-paying user into a revenue generating customer and advocate. 

If Evernote had a $ for every user that ....

There are some non-paying users who will never pay for using this service.  

How long were you using the service without paying?

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

If Evernote had a $ for every user that ....

How long were you using the service without paying?

Lets see, my first post here was January 2014 when I reported print problems with italics.   So some time before that... as if it matters.  and the printing issue is still unresolved. 

No matter though... I imported all 540 of my nevernotes into OneNote today, can access them from this tablet, my smartphone, work pc, home pc and laptop.    That functionality is worth about $10 to me, but it turns out to be included in my Office 365 subscription.  Had EN offered this budget tier, I probably wouldn't have bothered to discover ON. 

And of course some users will never convert to paying customers.   The proposal in this thread won't solve that, but it could have converted some to at least pay something.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, plarkinjr said:

access them from this tablet, my smartphone, work pc, home pc and laptop. 

For the opportunity to turn a non-paying user into a revenue generating customer and advocate. 

We can continue to use all our devices.  I added more details here

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

The vast majority of non-paying users will never pay, but they're irrelevant when considering the possibility of a new price tier, which would be aimed at those non-paying users who are willing to pay (as long as the price is suitable for their level of usage).

I also think a $10 to $15 USD per year tier may appeal to me to keep all of my rarely powered on devices "logged in" and email function back as Sophie requested above.Since learning I only need to logout on some devices rather than uninstall the app I'm not as bothered by this change. Maybe it's selfish of me to find the free OneNote model is more appealing... I won't repost the link someone on this site did to Microsoft's Evernote to OneNote conversion page with a product feature matrix because I'm not looking to stir emotions, but they win if you take their spin on it. That said, I have never cared much to support Microsoft in any way and would rather keep Evernote going. I just don't have the energy for the battles I used to partake in (ie OS/2 vs Windows or .45 vs 9mm/.40/.38, etc) and I certainly don't want to get involved in EN vs ON. :)

I'd be more into contributing if true wiki-like hyperlinking was added just to say thank you. I can't understand why this isn't already a feature.

Archived