Is anyone sticking with Evernote?

• Level 5*
On June 30, 2016 at 1:53 AM, GiacomoLaw said:

I've seen that loads of people are leaving. Is anyone sticking with Evernote?

I am committed to using the Evernote service for my digital filing - this is long term, and I have no reason to leave. I consider it good value for the money

The recent price increase is a fact of life, and I'm not going to go ballistic over it

I've seen posts from "loads" of users declaring they are leaving.
My assumption is that they are using the Basic (free) Account tier, and are perturbed at the new device limit,
I suspect it's just ranting (weeping and gnashing of teeth), but they don't represent a loss of revenue to Evernote

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I'm staying. It seems like the pricing change thread is full of freeloaders free users complaining they can no longer get a service for free. Seriously - even if you buy Premium and pay monthly (the most expensive way to pay), it's cheaper than Netflix. I can't believe the people who don't see the value in all that Evernote has to offer as being at least EQUAL to the value Netflix brings. Heck, buying one $2 coffee/week is more expensive than Evernote. It's beyond ridiculous, those complaining about the prices. Evernote was underpriced before, IMHO, and is now approaching what it should be charging. 

• Like 6

I am actually one of those who switched from Free to Premium after their announcement (I have already been Premium in the past for several months and Plus sometimes). However, I decided to do it only after I found a way to pay a reasonable price for Premium (way less than 60€).

Evernote is a good service, paying for it makes sense, paying that much for it doesn't (for my personal needs, of course).

Needless to say, the fact that they do not respect their users who use top-class operating systems (e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora, and all Linux based systems) does not add a positive note to their decision to raise prices.

2 minutes ago, chirmer said:

it's cheaper than Netflix

Yes but Netflix is a totally different service (and quite expensive one) so why this comparison?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Lazza said:

Yes but Netflix is a totally different service (and quite expensive one) so why this comparison?

I compared it because the price is similar and it's a subscription so many people have and don't think twice about. Ask someone to give up Netflix and you get a blank stare, as if they weren't aware that was even possible. Netflix is a given for so many people, and all it gives is movies/TV shows. Evernote gives offline access to notes of all kinds, a one-of-a-kind web clipper that I'd easily pay $10/mo for, intense customization of storage method/hierarchy, excellent sharing capabilities, and so many more things. For less than a TV/movie streaming app. It puts the pricing into perspective.

4 minutes ago, chirmer said:

so many people have and don't think twice about. Ask someone to give up Netflix and you get a blank stare, as if they weren't aware that was even possible

I guess I am not one of those people then. I would definitely think twice, or even more times, before subscribing to Netflix.

5 minutes ago, chirmer said:

all it gives is movies/TV shows

License cost, for broadcasters, are quite high. It probably requires much more investment to run a company like Netflix than like Evernote, but well... every company has to make their choices. I hope for Evernote that they will get a positive outcome in the long run, I just believe it won't be so.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
52 minutes ago, chirmer said:

the value in all that Evernote has to offer as being at least EQUAL to the value Netflix brings

After viewing the current season of House of Cards and OITNB ... meh ... I'm in agreement. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chirmer said:

I'm staying. It seems like the pricing change thread is full of freeloaders free users complaining they can no longer get a service for free. Seriously - even if you buy Premium and pay monthly (the most expensive way to pay), it's cheaper than Netflix. I can't believe the people who don't see the value in all that Evernote has to offer as being at least EQUAL to the value Netflix brings. Heck, buying one $2 coffee/week is more expensive than Evernote. It's beyond ridiculous, those complaining about the prices. Evernote was underpriced before, IMHO, and is now approaching what it should be charging. 

False analogy. You may get value from Netflix, but many people do not. Netflix also has to navigate movie licensing and pipe out A LOT of data. I’ve been using Evernote on my other account for a long time, I got an e-mail that I was one of the first 1000 subscribers. During that time, I was paying while dealing with syncing conflicts a plenty (using best practices) and having many notes not show up when e-mailed in. Onenote seems to let you link to sections within notes, has tabs, and far less syncing issues from what I’ve read. A price increase now that Evernote is getting to the point where they are addressing core product instead of upselling office products is slightly annoying. That is where attention *should* have been placed all along. I’ve got a lot invested in Evernote, but I won’t let that bias affect my decision making if there is a potentially better product available for free. Don’t be blinded by assumptions.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bounce said:

False analogy. You may get value from Netflix, but many people do not. Netflix also has to navigate movie licensing and pipe out A LOT of data. I’ve been using Evernote on my other account for a long time, I got an e-mail that I was one of the first 1000 subscribers. During that time, I was paying while dealing with syncing conflicts a plenty (using best practices) and having many notes not show up when e-mailed in. Onenote seems to let you link to sections within notes, has tabs, and far less syncing issues from what I’ve read. A price increase now that Evernote is getting to the point where they are addressing core product instead of upselling office products is slightly annoying. That is where attention *should* have been placed all along. I’ve got a lot invested in Evernote, but I won’t let that bias affect my decision making if there is a potentially better product available for free. Don’t be blinded by assumptions.

I didn't make an analogy, so it's not a false one. I made a simple comparison between two similarly-priced products. I never said everyone finds enjoyment from Netflix, either, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting I said that. I'm also not blinded by assumptions, unlike the one you're making about me :D I've used OneNote, Nimbus Note, SimpleNote, Springpad (was even featured on their blog), Centrallo, and pretty much every notetaking app on the market. Nothing beats Evernote in terms of pure feature set. OneNote's tagging doesn't work on Mac/iOS, only Windows, and even then, it doesn't tag the whole note, just that one part. The tabs are not for everyone. The web clipper stinks. If I haven't opened the app in a while, I have to sign in again. To the app. Not the website. The downloaded to my computer app. And even then, I just clipped something on my Windows 10 partition (I don't have the space to install Evernote because I miscalculated how much room I'd need, but that's beside the point) to OneNote and I've yet to see it show up elsewhere in my OneNote account. I can't get it to sync. It's actually a living nightmare.

Which is all beside the point. Evernote offers a vast feature set that offers a LOT of service, all for the rough price (cheaper, actually) of a TV/movie streaming service. My point wasn't that it's more valuable - which I figure I was pretty clear on but I'll clarify anyway - but rather to address those complaining that Evernote doesn't offer enough for that price. It absolutely does. It's just whether or not people need those features. And I do.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Lazza said:

License cost, for broadcasters, are quite high. It probably requires much more investment to run a company like Netflix than like Evernote, but well... every company has to make their choices. I hope for Evernote that they will get a positive outcome in the long run, I just believe it won't be so.

I'm sure running Netflix does cost more than running Evernote. But they also have way more users. It's a sliding scale that means the cost per user can easily come out to be the same. If Evernote had the volume of users that Netflix does, it's possible Premium'd be something like 99¢ or some other cheaper price. 

I'm starting to lose count the number of times people threaten to leave over a wide variety of changes Evernote has implemented. New UI - I'm leaving! Can't email to Evernote on a free account anymore - I'm leaving! PDF search in Premium only - I'm leaving! And yet, Evernote keeps chugging along. I anticipate the people who leave are oftentimes those who would never give a penny to Evernote, anyway. Heck, I have family members with a staunch "I will never pay for an app" policy. That makes them worthless users, especially if the service (like Evernote) refuses to sell their user data, so they really can't complain when a service won't cater to them anymore.

Whether the services Evernote offers is usable for each person at the price they set is up to each person, and that's totally fine. But the people saying Evernote doesn't offer enough at the price set are, IMHO, just wrong. The app has more than enough features to justify the cost. It doesn't mean you have to see the use for them all and pay for them, however. I've got no problem with the people who don't use it enough to pay that much downgrading. But no one can really say Evernote doesn't offer enough features for that price. I just don't see how that's the case at all.

• Like 1

Evernote can't even share a notebook.  I'm a new user and have sent 5-6 emails and NONE of them have shared the notebook to ANYONE!  If you can't fulfill your basic functions why would I pay for increased service?  This is ridiculous.  But of course once again in the software world I'm the only person who actually uses share.  Because that's the ONLY explanation why this isn't working for me with no end in sight.  PATHETIC EVERNOTE!!!!!!!!!  It's like a car with no wheels.  FIX YOUR *****!

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Drold said:

Evernote can't even share a notebook.  I'm a new user and have sent 5-6 emails and NONE of them have shared the notebook to ANYONE!  If you can't fulfill your basic functions why would I pay for increased service?  This is ridiculous.  But of course once again in the software world I'm the only person who actually uses share.  Because that's the ONLY explanation why this isn't working for me with no end in sight.  PATHETIC EVERNOTE!!!!!!!!!  It's like a car with no wheels.  FIX YOUR *****!

Well ... another explanation is that you are doing something wrong.  I'm not a big user of shared notes or notebooks but when I've tried it has worked fine.  There are many here that manage a second account that way, so sharing does work.  If this is more than just a vent and you truly want some help, provide more details on specifically what you are doing and I'm sure someone will be glad to offer assistance.

• Like 4

You hit the share button.  Type in email and hit send.  It says in Evernote where it lets you know it is sent, 'Take a loot at this notebook.'

Where along this chain of events am I ***** up?

Why is there no simple weblink I can copy and paste?  This is forehead slapping stupid. 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Drold said:

You hit the share button.  Type in email and hit send.  It says in Evernote where it lets you know it is sent, 'Take a loot at this notebook.'

Please don't hijack this discussion.  You sharing issue is being addressed here

Link to copy and paste would be sooooooooo simple and soooooooo obviously valuable.  And would vastly increase Evernote users.  Is this toooooo much not so common common sense?  Yes?  I thought so.

• Level 5*
Just now, Drold said:

Link to copy and paste would be sooooooooo simple and soooooooo obviously valuable.  And would vastly increase Evernote users.  Is this toooooo much not so common common sense?  Yes?  I thought so.

<Sigh> You haven't actually said,  in any of the several threads to which you're now complaining,  which Evernote version you're sharing from.  Whichever it is,  please find the "public link" for your note,  and share that.  Anyone you send the link to will be able to see it.

I love Evernote, deeply and truly. We've been together for a while and I haven't minded paying for this relationship. However, I too thought it might be time to move on, however I can't find anything as good. I don't get the OneNote interface, plus, if I understand correctly, you can't search by tag, for example you can't search for all the notes tagged 'sequel' or 'query'.That's a big deal to me because I'm a serious tagger.  Plus there are horror stories in the Microsoft forums about what a mess the import makes on one's notes and tags. Too bad I didn't follow Grumpy Monkey's tagless plan. Anyhow, regrets aside, I looked at Apple Notes, but the web clipping function is nowhere near as good as Evernote's. I work alone, don't need to share, don't manage a team, but I am addicted to Evernote. But I'm getting worried. Is the price hike the big deal here or are there other issues causing this exodus.

• Level 5*

Don't panic - I'm not jumping anywhere!  I'm definitely one of the 'sticking with' group - watching the ongoing panicfest with complete disbelief.  I paid for Evernote from the time I worked out it was a good piece of software that did a necessary job for me - purely on the basis that no-one works for free,  and giving Evernote some revenue meant they could stay in business and develop better features for me to use.  I still haven't found anything that does the same job,  so I'll be staying here for the foreseeable future...

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Don't panic - I'm not jumping anywhere!  I'm definitely one of the 'sticking with' group - watching the ongoing panicfest with complete disbelief.  I paid for Evernote from the time I worked out it was a good piece of software that did a necessary job for me - purely on the basis that no-one works for free,  and giving Evernote some revenue meant they could stay in business and develop better features for me to use.  I still haven't found anything that does the same job,  so I'll be staying here for the foreseeable future...

Whew! I don't know where I got the idea that you were leaving. I can't find anything that does what Evernote does, as good as Evernote does it. I too have paid for it because it is so important to me, it was love at first sight for me. I am a writer and my mission is to limit the services I pay for as much as possible. You could go broke trying to get a book edited and published. I manage my own blog, format the manuscript etc. myself to save costs, but Evernote is one of the things I willingly pay for. Glad to hear you're staying, I think I'm ok now.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Drold said:

Where do I find the public link? I've pressed every potential option available.  No public link.

Thats it for you  @Drold 

Your conduct has been reported and hopefully shortly your posts and userid will be erased

• Level 5*

I'm not going anywhere. I think a lot of people who leave for OneNote will be disappointed. And a lot of the other competitors aren't even close to where EN is as a note taking solution.

I have no problem with EN trying to step up monetization of its user base - after all, that's the whole point - but I think it was handled very poorly given the myriad of better options available to management, and I do think it raises legitimate concerns for users who have bought into the 'external brain' concept and have so much of their info stored in EN, and are now wondering what the next misstep by this clumsy elephant will be.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chirmer said:

I didn't make an analogy, so it's not a false one. I made a simple comparison between two similarly-priced products. I never said everyone finds enjoyment from Netflix, either, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting I said that. I'm also not blinded by assumptions, unlike the one you're making about me :D I've used OneNote, Nimbus Note, SimpleNote, Springpad (was even featured on their blog), Centrallo, and pretty much every notetaking app on the market. Nothing beats Evernote in terms of pure feature set. OneNote's tagging doesn't work on Mac/iOS, only Windows, and even then, it doesn't tag the whole note, just that one part. The tabs are not for everyone. The web clipper stinks. If I haven't opened the app in a while, I have to sign in again. To the app. Not the website. The downloaded to my computer app. And even then, I just clipped something on my Windows 10 partition (I don't have the space to install Evernote because I miscalculated how much room I'd need, but that's beside the point) to OneNote and I've yet to see it show up elsewhere in my OneNote account. I can't get it to sync. It's actually a living nightmare.

Which is all beside the point. Evernote offers a vast feature set that offers a LOT of service, all for the rough price (cheaper, actually) of a TV/movie streaming service. My point wasn't that it's more valuable - which I figure I was pretty clear on but I'll clarify anyway - but rather to address those complaining that Evernote doesn't offer enough for that price. It absolutely does. It's just whether or not people need those features. And I do.

You didn't make an exact analogy because to do that you would have had to compare two products with similar features. You're comparing on cost which is next to meaningless.

I’ve tried all those and others and do agree that currently Evernote is winning on *features. On the other hand, those Onenote sync issues you’ve mentioned are something I deal with currently in Evernote (conflicting syncs). Recently I have noticed a trend with Evernote improving, so that is reassuring. If an extra dollar for plus is what it takes to keep improving the product and do away with conflicting notes, add some features, and generally smooth it out and getting back to its original vision, I'm all for that. However, the update cycle, cost, and stability of other options are looking interesting.

Also, in iOS selecting text within a note to copy it makes me feel like a drunk monkey poking an anthill, please improve on this Evernote.

• Like 1

A few years ago, I had an annoying problem with EN freezing with alarming frequency. I ended replacing my standard hard drive with an SSD just to fix that damn problem. Worth it! But before I made that move, I tried several times to simply leave Evernote for one of the other options. It seems like I tried everything and as I recall, nothing came close to doing what Evernote does for me. Some of those other products are just as good, maybe, but they're different – wildly different than what I've become accustomed to. And since it impacts almost every waking hour of my day, I decided it to do whatever was necessary to get Evernote working again. The point being that as tempted as I am to make a move just on general principle, I think that after I'm done stomping my feet and calling Evernote management terrible names, I'll probably go ahead and pony up the bucks to keep them around. I'll hate myself in the morning, perhaps, but at least I'll be able to write my feelings down and stuff them into the proper notebook.

• Like 2

I've decided I'm going to stick with Evernote. I do not see why so many people are complaining about the new price plan, as premium is around £3.75 a month, and thats not much. I love Evernote and have not found anything as good as it. 

• Like 3

I have been premium since the first year EN has existed as a cloud service. They have always done me well but this increase smells of nicotine and desperation. 40% bump, no warning or opportunity to buy an extra year at the old price. No added benifit. I have several months until renewal so I'll just have to see how this shakes out. 

Just like a marriage, just because you have been married for a long time doesn't mean you have to stay if you come home and find your spouse in bed with another....

• Like 1
15 hours ago, chirmer said:

But they also have way more users

So? License costs are not fixed. You don't pay the same licenses for 10 users or for 1 million users. Netflix has more users so they have to pay more licensing fees. The fact that they have more users does not mean that their price go down for this reason. If all costs were fixed, doing business would be so much easier. :)

15 hours ago, chirmer said:

I'm starting to lose count the number of times people threaten to leave over a wide variety of changes Evernote has implemented. [...] I've got no problem with the people who don't use it enough to pay that much downgrading.

Except from the fact that (as I wrote before) I switched to Premium from a Free account just yesterday. So I don't understand why you think I am one of those who "threaten to leave".

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, marke said:

no warning or opportunity to buy an extra year at the old price

I took the announcement as a warning
I went to my account settings subscription page.  I see the old prices listed, and I can renew for a year at those prices.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I see the old prices listed

I am glad for you. In my country (like many others in Europe) the new prices showed up right after the "warning" email was received.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

I've decided I'm going to stick with Evernote. I do not see why so many people are complaining about the new price plan, as premium is around £3.75 a month, and thats not much. I love Evernote and have not found anything as good as it. 

I'm sticking with Evernote too.
There are a few messages complaining about the new price plan, and grumbling about the large increase

I see thousands of messages from Base tier users.  They are complaining about the device limitation on the Basic accounts.  There was no price change for them (free account)

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Lazza said:

I am glad for you. In my country (like many others in Europe) the new prices showed up right after the "warning" email was received.

Did you go to your personal account settings subscription page?

I see this on my account settings subscription page.   First screen leads me to believe I will be renewed on 10 July 2016 at the old rate of 45$ per year.   

Your Subscription: Premium (Annual)

You pay USD45.00 per year through PayPal. This subscription will renew on 7/10/16.

But... when I click on the "update subscription" button in hopes of renewing at the old rate, I get this instead:

EVERNOTE PREMIUM

USD7.99/month
USD69.99/yearBest value: save 27%!

Your current Evernote Premium annual subscription will be active until 7/10/16. On that date, we will start billing this credit card USD69.99 per year for Evernote Premium.

Confirm update

===================

SO... appears that there is no grace period for renewal at old rate.

I really love Evernote and will continue to subscribe, confident that more improvements will be coming soon.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, bounce said:

You didn't make an exact analogy because to do that you would have had to compare two products with similar features. You're comparing on cost which is next to meaningless.

It's actually not meaningless at all... you can compare any two things you like. I didn't just compare cost in general, so I'll clarify a third time (goodness). I compared value vs. cost. Many people easily pony up $10/mo for Netflix but a productivity tool that has a plethora of features is morally delinquent by asking for a measly $8/mo? That's the point I'm making and I'm kinda getting tired of making it, so this will be the last time. I never said everyone has to find value in Evernote's service. I never said everyone has to use all of Evernote's features. I simply said that the people who claim Evernote should be ashamed for asking for more money for what they offer is ludicrous. They offer an incredible amount. $8/mo is still a deal, if you want and use what they offer.

1 hour ago, Lazza said:

So? License costs are not fixed. You don't pay the same licenses for 10 users or for 1 million users. Netflix has more users so they have to pay more licensing fees. The fact that they have more users does not mean that their price go down for this reason. If all costs were fixed, doing business would be so much easier. :)

Except from the fact that (as I wrote before) I switched to Premium from a Free account just yesterday. So I don't understand why you think I am one of those who "threaten to leave".

That still ignores the fact that the cost per user can be drastically different. Which is irrelevant to the point I was making in the first place because I didn't compare the cost of running the two. I didn't equate the cost of running Evernote with the cost of running Netflix. I didn't equate the two services as being offering similar features. I simply compared willingness to pay a certain amount for one set of features against the outrage at paying a smaller amount for an even greater set of features. I also never equated you as one of the freeloaders leaving. I never, in my post, targeted you. You said you upgraded to Premium, and I was talking about the free users complaining and leaving, so why would I have been talking about you? I was simply discussing the repeating trend of New Pricing/Feature Change for Free Users → Whining, Kvetching, and Threatening to Leave/How Dare They Want Money for the Service I'm Using for Free?! → Sticking Around Anyway that happens every time there's a change like this. As is evident by the 50+ pages of whining going on in the announcement thread :D

• Like 1

Interesting discussions.  From ravings of love for Evernote to dissing us free users - yes, I use the free version.  I just need notes - just notes - that I can share across my devices.  Evernote has been great for that, although not accessing offline is a pain (unless I pay of course).  So, now I am faced with a dilemma - pay for a basic thing that I need, or go.  Someone said that we don't generate revenue - perhaps that may be so.  However, to reel users in and get them hooked, what better than a free version?  With all the devices we have to work with, having it over my phone, laptop and ipad has been great.  The limitation of two devices is a death knell for me.  So yes, I am leaving to One Note.  I have to say, I read one blog today that said there was a $25 annual plan for effectively what I would need - and I went looking to pay and sign up so I wouldn't take time out of my day to deal with changing.  But that was not the case.  So, I migrated my notes and switched. 

Perhaps the posters that believe the free users, like myself, won't have any impact on Evernote as they leave.  I guess that will be seen over time. 

5 hours ago, marke said:

Just like a marriage, just because you have been married for a long time doesn't mean you have to stay if you come home and find your spouse in bed with another....

So Evernote is in bed with who? A more logical analogy might be not wanting to put up with an increasingly higher high-maintenance spouse. 

But maybe you've been an overly oppressive, tight-fisted husband who won't fork out for your wife to visit (a decent) salon once in a while and make herself look pretty for you. Just maybe she wants the Brazilian blowout. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, maggiemay said:

SO... appears that there is no grace period for renewal at old rate.

I really love Evernote and will continue to subscribe, confident that more improvements will be coming soon.

I will defenitely stick with EN, because ON is no option for me. Tried it out for several times: no reminders, tagging is a nightmare. ON has it's qualities, no question, but not my cup of tea...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chirmer said:

I didn't equate the two services as being offering similar features. I simply compared willingness to pay a certain amount for one set of features against the outrage at paying a smaller amount for an even greater set of features.

You are:

1. assuming that Evernote has a greater set of features (therefore you are comparing)
  2. impying that the Evernote features are more important than Netflix

Those are just opinions (that we may or may not agree with) but it's basically an apples and oranges thing. Not to mention the fact that the "outrage" (how you call it) is deserved because they raised prices for current Premium clients by around 40-50% and dropped features from the Free version without notifications, not because paying is considered a bad thing.

2 hours ago, chirmer said:

I was simply discussing the repeating trend of New Pricing/Feature Change for Free Users → Whining, Kvetching, and Threatening to Leave/How Dare They Want Money for the Service I'm Using for Free?! → Sticking Around Anyway that happens every time there's a change like this. As is evident by the 50+ pages of whining going on in the announcement thread :D

Here you seem to assume that all the people who migrated to OneNote (including former Premium users) are liars and freeloaders who actually are continuing to use Evernote in secret while saying the opposite. You also seem to assume that anyone who disagrees with a "accept this change and STFU, you customers" policy is "whining".

I respectfully disagree on that.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Lazza said:

"accept this change and STFU, you customers" policy is "whining".

And using STFU is respectfully disagreeing? 

... And multiple posts with hacks for people to get Mexican subscription prices is respectfully disagreeing with Evernote? Might they not charge what they please and not have others undermine their decisions, while you pat yourself on the back for it?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

And using STFU is respectfully disagreeing?

Nope, that's why I represented the Evernote policy as that. Because that is what they actually told their customers: "shut up, this is it and don't you dare complaining about the sudden 40% increase, even though we do not have any new feature and you've been regularly paying for years... we simply don't care". Of course "gurus" like you continue to carry the exact same message to former (or current) Premium members who expressed the fact that they do not like the new prices.

12 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Might they not charge what they please

Yes.

12 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

and not have others undermine their decisions

Ah, so Evernote wants to be exempt from criticism? Sorry, no, that's not how it works. People are going to express their POV no matter what. If it is not on this forum, it will be on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, personal blogs, whatever.

• Like 2

The conversation has surely degraded in this thread and got just a bit off topic...... In an effort to bring it back to the original question - am i staying?  Yes.

I have been a premium user for 5+ years and will not be going anywhere anytime soon.  As soon as I see an increase in my account to $70 though I will be changing to the Plus level.  The only feature I will miss is searching within attachments - but that is not worth the extra $$ to me as I do not use it all that much.  I am not a power user by any means - EN is mainly a storage locker for documents for me that I want access to in multiple places.  This can easily be done in other places, but after 5+ years I have a system that I like using and is well worth the $45 I have been paying yearly for.

@Lazza, how about your posting multiple posts showing others how to hack the system and get cheaper rates by subscribing via a different region? Is that respectfully disagreeing... or are you *trying to* selectively defend your so-called respect?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Lazza said:

You are:

1. assuming that Evernote has a greater set of features (therefore you are comparing)

Both could very well be the case for some.  Simply purchase decisions based upon an individuals view of the value to them.  Doesn't take much feature for no cost to be a value, add some cost and folks have to make decisions.  Not everyone is going to make the same decisions.  

Netflix vs Prime vs EN vs DropBox vs whatever else digital vs stuff I have to have in the non digital world - all, some or none.  Personal purchasing decisions to make based upon one's own value view and fiscal constraints.  

End of the day, EN Basic still has pretty much the same features with the exception of less concurrent devices, and it is FREE.

15 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Both could very well be the case for some.

Totally agreed, "for some". Previous messages by some users seemed to imply that it must be the case for all users.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Lazza said:

You are:

Those are just opinions (that we may or may not agree with) but it's basically an apples and oranges thing. Not to mention the fact that the "outrage" (how you call it) is deserved because they raised prices for current Premium clients by around 40-50% and dropped features from the Free version without notifications, not because paying is considered a bad thing.

Here you seem to assume that all the people who migrated to OneNote (including former Premium users) are liars and freeloaders who actually are continuing to use Evernote in secret while saying the opposite. You also seem to assume that anyone who disagrees with a "accept this change and STFU, you customers" policy is "whining".

1. Er, no. Not what I said. Maybe try again? Also, I never said I wasn't comparing. I actually said I was comparing. Just not what you said I was comparing. And I'd know, because I wrote it.

2. Nope, strike two. I implied that you get a lot of features from Evernote for a price cheaper than Netflix.

I'm trying to figure out what posts you're reading to get these conclusions, because they're surely not mine as that just doesn't logically follow. I didn't say or hint at any of that. I'm not sure how to continue a conversation where one side writes "tomato" and the other reads "applesauce." I "seem to assume" nothing because you can't seem to read my posts for what I'm actually saying. You're projecting onto others your indignance that people don't mind Evernote's price increase while you do. I mean, seriously. I never mentioned people moving to OneNote. Ever. Where did you even get that? Your projections.

Your assumption that Evernote is making this price hike to ***** the customer is so far beyond logical business practice it's just ludicrous. Evernote is nothing without the consumer. They made a decision that they think is wise for their business. Losing customers isn't wise for their business. So, surely, one would think, wouldn't one, that they thought of this? And weighted it against the benefits of increasing the price? Maybe they need more engineers. Maybe they need more support staff. Maybe they need bigger servers. It seems pretty illogically presumptuous to act like Evernote did this to spite us. Logic just deems that nonsense.

I also have no issue with people who can't afford it. To copy and paste something I've said more than once in this thread but you seem to have skipped over:

4 hours ago, chirmer said:

I never said everyone has to find value in Evernote's service. I never said everyone has to use all of Evernote's features. I simply said that the people who claim Evernote should be ashamed for asking for more money for what they offer is ludicrous. They offer an incredible amount. $8/mo is still a deal, if you want and use what they offer.

I don't know how to say that any simpler. To say I'm saying anything other than that is just falsehood and wasting everyone's time. So, let's move on, shall we? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

So Evernote is in bed with who? A more logical analogy might be not wanting to put up with an increasingly higher high-maintenance spouse. 

But maybe you've been an overly oppressive, tight-fisted husband who won't fork out for your wife to visit (a decent) salon once in a while and make herself look pretty for you. Just maybe she wants the Brazilian blowout. 

Okay, perhaps this is a better analogy. So we got married early and she has been taken care of, well as well as anyone can be of a wage earners income. She has up to now taken good care of me.  I come home today and she says " I want a BMW, a house in "that" neighborhood, and a 40% increase in her personal allowance. Take it or leave it". 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, marke said:

Okay, perhaps this is a better analogy. So we got married early and she has been taken care of, well as well as anyone can be of a wage earners income. She has up to now taken good care of me.  I come home today and she says " I want a BMW, a house in "that" neighborhood, and a 40% increase in her personal allowance. Take it or leave it". 

OK... that's admittedly a hard one to swallow. I hope you're not speaking from experience :lol:

Just now, Frank.dg said:

OK... that's admittedly a hard one to swallow. I hope you're not speaking from experience :lol:

Thankfully, no. Just how it feels to walk in on a 40% price hike with no increase in perks.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Lazza said:

Totally agreed, "for some". Previous messages by some users seemed to imply that it must be the case for all users.

I'm curious who said that because it wasn't me, which is who I'm sure you're targeting. It's just simply. not. what. I. said.

1 hour ago, Lazza said:

Nope, that's why I represented the Evernote policy as that. Because that is what they actually told their customers: "shut up, this is it and don't you dare complaining about the sudden 40% increase, even though we do not have any new feature and you've been regularly paying for years... we simply don't care". Of course "gurus" like you continue to carry the exact same message to former (or current) Premium members who expressed the fact that they do not like the new prices.

I'd love to see where Evernote staff explicitly stated that, as you put it in quotes. That means they literally said that. Maybe they said it in the official thread in the forums, open to anyone's comments? Maybe they said it in one of the many staff replies in the thread that they're obviously reading, as they have replied?

Of course what you've said is just not true. You are perfectly able and supported in expressing your opinion. Many posts in the original thread managed to do so in a productive, professionally critical way. But most are just whining, which helps nobody. Am I thrilled about the price hike? No. Am I going to whine about it? Also no. I'm involved in Evernote, and I'll be even more involved now that more of my money's heading there. I've voiced criticism in the past, too, as much as I love Evernote. But whining isn't criticism. It's just whining.

2 minutes ago, marke said:

It's not, though, because you're making the assumption in that analogy that what Evernote is asking for is ridiculous. We just don't know that. Obviously, they had to know making this decision would have blowback, and they weighed the risk as less important than the reward. So don't you think maybe they're going to spend the money well? If they came out and said, "we're going to spend this on engineers and upgrading the servers so everyone's experience is faster, more reliable, and we get more updates pushed" then no one would complain. They could very well spend this extra money on those very things. So I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume Evernote's doing it to be selfish. There's just no evidence of that. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, marke said:

no increase in perks

There's been an increase in features across the board - Particularly if you're a Windows desktop user. Mac is in tow. You're probably sitting on features you don't know are there...

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, marke said:

Thankfully, no. Just how it feels to walk in on a 40% price hike with no increase in perks.

I'd imagine you'll see perks soon in infrastructure. I wouldn't lose hope yet. If it means faster syncing, bugs fixed quicker, and more features rolled out, I'm happy to fork over the money. Those things take time and don't show up the very day they're bought. If in six months or a year we don't see an increase in perks, then I'll be right there with you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, chirmer said:

I'm curious who said that because it wasn't me, which is who I'm sure you're targeting. It's just simply. not. what. I. said.

@chirmer I really have better things to do than having an argument with you. I don't care whether you are taking the messages as personal attacks or not, they aren't. I'm done participating in this thread.

• Like 1

I've been using Evernote for 7 years now, in the last year I switched to the Plus subscription. Been very happy and yes, the increase of price annoys me. But at the end it's just 10€ more. 10€ a year, that's almost nothing.

Besides that: I really tried to switch to OneNote, several times by now. But honestly, OneNote isn't a competitor because it has a completely other focus and workflow. I use EN mailny for long time filing - invoices, contracts, correspondence, funny picture that I use in social networks etc. OneNote isn't for that, period.

And: the web clipping function of OneNote still sucks severely. Is it NOWHERE near the web clipper from Evernote. 

So, bottom line: YES, I STICK. And I still love Evernote hoping that they succeed with this price model. I second the idea of a Basic Plus tier, not mandatory to me but to people that are complaing about the 2 device limit...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Frank.dg said:

There's been an increase in features across the board - Particularly if you're a Windows desktop user. Mac is in tow. You're probably sitting on features you don't know are there...

1 hour ago, chirmer said:

I'd imagine you'll see perks soon in infrastructure. I wouldn't lose hope yet. If it means faster syncing, bugs fixed quicker, and more features rolled out, I'm happy to fork over the money. Those things take time and don't show up the very day they're bought. If in six months or a year we don't see an increase in perks, then I'll be right there with you.

I hope you both are right. If so they need to fire or at least have a good talk with their PR person. No mention of any perks in the price hike announcement. I have until November so I'll wait and see. No need to be rash but they do have me paying attention. 

• Like 1

I'm staying. Luckily, the two device limit doesn't affect me at all since I no longer have a tablet and the older phone I used was no longer suited for Evernote. I've wanted to return to being a paid user for quite some time, but I don't see this happening in the near future. I use Evernote very simply; I don't even use it collaboratively. The storage is the only reason I'd truly need to upgrade. And at that price, the storage just isn't worth it for the amount of uploading I do to Evernote. 

I'm not sure exactly how typical of an Evernote user I am, though. 

Am I staying?

NO, I don't think so.

For the basic features I use, there are free alternatives, most notably onenote. 

I need access across 3 devices more than I do high end features, so regrettably I will migrate to another platform, and use it as a good opportunity to clear out my notes and re-organise.

• Level 5*
On 6/30/2016 at 3:53 AM, GiacomoLaw said:

Is anyone sticking with Evernote?

I would expect many, many users, perhaps mostly those who are already have a paid account, to stick with Evernote.
Count me as one of them.

I've been a Premium account owner almost from the beginning (2010) of my use of Evernote.  I have always found it to be an excellent value for the very small price I have paid.  I am not happy about the 40% increase in Premium accounts, but still, $70/yr ($5.83/mon, $0.20/day) is still a very good price, IMO.  But then I am a very heavy user of Evernote.  It is always open on my Mac, and I am using it many times a day, both adding and retrieving Notes.  I love having near instant access to my entire world from my iPhone/iPad when I'm out and about.

I am much more concerned about:

1. Quality -- fixing old bugs and minimizing the introduction of new bugs
  2. Scalability -- ensure no material degradation in performance with large (>30,000) numbers of Notes.
  3. Robust Sync -- making sure sync always works, avoids 99.9% of conflicts, and provides easy resolution of conflicts
  4. AES 256 Encryption, Zero-knowledge password , on a per Notebook basis
  5. Selective Sync -- so I can control the storage on my Macs with small drives
  • Like 2
On 30 June 2016 at 8:23 PM, DTLow said:

I am committed to using the Evernote service for my digital filing - this is long term, and I have no reason to leave. I consider it good value for the money

The recent price increase is a fact of life, and I'm not going to go ballistic over it

I've seen posts from "loads" of users declaring they are leaving.
My assumption is that they are using the Basic (free) Account tier, and are perturbed at the new device limit,
I suspect it's just ranting (weeping and gnashing of teeth), but they don't represent a loss of revenue to Evernote

Well, maybe not an immediate loss of revenue, sir, but a loss of a customer.  And they have pushed us away with continued cutting of features, 'interesting' upgrades, and now the 2-device limit.  Good bye EN 

I'm a long time premium user too, one of the few services I'm willing to pay for. I've played with OneNote and just can't get it, don't understand the look or how tags work, though I understand their finctionality is nothing like Evernotes. Just the idea of having to find and reorganize all my notes while learning a a new interface is daunting to me. As long as the company stays afloat and is stable, I'm here to stay, at the Plus level.

I'm a premium user for 4 years now, but my monthly usage is only 1% of my capacity. Since I'm no power user, I consider to switch to the plus version, which is much closer to my profile...

I've been a premium member for many years now.  I would switch, but there isn't anything on the market that is as good as EN.  I'm staying.  That being said, with an increase in price comes an increase in expectations.  EN has been a pretty decent product, but I don't think they've maximized it's interface, especailly on the iPad Pro.  I'd like to see some new features or better layouts to go along with the big increase in money.

• Like 1

Today, evernote just saved me €99 : my dad's new phone is defect, and he lost his purchase receipt. Fortunately, I've put it in my Evernote, as I do for all my purchases as well. So, they went to the shop with the receipt printout and they agree to repair it or replace it for free :-)

This way, I already saved a lot of money (LED lamps, clothing, shoes ...) . Evernote really pays itself back...

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
On July 2, 2016 at 9:44 AM, eric99 said:

Today, evernote just saved me €99 : my dad's new phone is defect, and he lost his purchase receipt. Fortunately, I've put it in my Evernote, as I do for all my purchases as well. So, they went to the shop with the receipt printout and they agree to repair it or replace it for free :-)

I could also list a lot of examples of money saved because of stored receipts
but for me, a more compelling story is the baby archives

My daughter archives and shares pictures, videos, and recordings of my new granddaughter 
She uses Evernote and shared notes, and they are available to all family with internet access and I can access them whenever I want. And they will still be there years from now

Thankyou Evernote people   Evernote Camera Roll 20160421 220742.2 (1).jpg

• Level 5*

A little while back my monitor decided to expire.  Not knowing when exactly I bought it,  I looked up the receipt in Evernote.  Typically,  I found the receipt for 13 months ago... but reading the documentation - for the first time (who reads this stuff on purchase?) I found it was a 24 month warranty!  Very happy with the monitor company,  my new replacement screen.  and Evernote...

• Like 2
16 hours ago, gazumped said:

for the first time (who reads this stuff on purchase?) I found it was a 24 month warranty!

[...]

Running a business in Wales, UK

Well, for now you are still in the EU :P so you must receive 2 years of warranty. It's EU law.

• Like 2

I've been a Premium Member since the second month I signed up with EVERNOTE in 2014.  I now have 37,000 notes with EVERNOTE.  You better believe I'm sticking with EVERNOTE.  For the small amount of increase for the Premium, I feel myself fortunate to have such an excellent service for so little,.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Lazza said:

Well, for now you are still in the EU :P so you must receive 2 years of warranty. It's EU law.

It's amazing what you can learn from this forum!  ;)

...and yes,  while I'm currently in Wales, UK and technically still in the EU zone,  there's more confusion here about who's in charge / what's our policy / who pays the bills - than in most other countries anywhere.  Still the boys are doing well at football... and if Scotland leaves the UK and joins with both bits of Ireland to become the Celtic Union,  Wales might go along with that...  :unsure:

• Like 1
On 6/30/2016 at 0:57 PM, chirmer said:

Considering in your sig you post that you used the FREELOADERS version for 3 years before upgrading to the PAID version, you don't think others deserve the same opportunity? What about those who have their notes, but don't access or save much any more?

Hmmm....

On 6/30/2016 at 5:14 PM, phyla said:

you can't search by tag, for example you can't search for all the notes tagged 'sequel' or 'query'.That's a big deal to me because I'm a serious tagger.

Tip: In OneNote, just add any tag to the body of the note, or before or after, or float over it, etc. You can search across multiple notes, tabs, and notebooks VERY quickly.

Hope this helps.

On June 30, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Drold said:

I share notebooks and single notes all the time with no issues between users and non-users

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, DDr_12 said:

Considering in your sig you post that you used the FREELOADERS version for 3 years before upgrading to the PAID version, you don't think others deserve the same opportunity? What about those who have their notes, but don't access or save much any more?

Hmmm....

Er, I signed up for Evernote and then forgot about it for a few years (was in college). I only used it about 6 months again before going Premium in 2013.

Also, I never whined about being entitled to features while using the free version. I took what I had offered to me and was happy for it.

I also never said everyone should convert to the paid version - they just shouldn't whine when features get taken away from users who aren't converting to premium. Gosh, reading comprehension's gone down in these forums as of late...

1 hour ago, DDr_12 said:

Tip: In OneNote, just add any tag to the body of the note, or before or after, or float over it, etc. You can search across multiple notes, tabs, and notebooks VERY quickly.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'm still torn about leaving. I would make the move primarily for the stability of the company, not the minimal cost of the Plus plan which is the one I'd go to. But the difference in the stability of a company like mega-Microsoft and apparently-struggling Evernote does make me think about making the leap.

18 hours ago, DDr_12 said:

Hope this helps.

I looked into this, and discovered the feature to search by tag doesn't exist in the iPad version. Desktop yes, iPad no. So Evernote is still my first choice.

I am sticking with Evernote Premium. It is an integral part of my personal and professional (self-employed, sole proprietor) workflow, roughly equally important as Office 365 and a piece of niche simulation software, both of which charge several times as Evernote Premium per year. And a couple of open-source free tools, which charge nothing.

Let's step back and apply an outside-in business strategy view to this. A few years ago, OneNote was clearly being neglected by Microsoft, and Apple and Google weren't in the picture. It made a ton of business sense for EN to grow the category, offer quite a bit for free to everyone in the hopes that some of them would over time mature as users to the point of being willing to pay. At the same time, all the free users would provide free marketing to their friends, and starting from a small base the "maintenance resources" spent on the free users (storage, etc.) were minimal compared to the benefit.

Fast forward to now, and looking to the future. In part due to EN's success, a 3 cross-platform giants have entered or re-committed to this product category. Their functionality may be more or less than EN right now, but they ability to invest in their competing product, from cash flows elsewhere or just at a loss, is much more than a small independent company's. I think EN sees the writing on the wall and is conceding that the space of basic-functionality, cloud-synched notetaking is going to end up split between M, A, and G, whatever EN does. Just like Google and Apple have essentially carved up the basic (mass needs) GPS/mapping space. To have a viable business model, EN needs to concentrate on making a niche product, one which is positive cash-flow after R&D and infrastructure expenses. And that apparently means hiking prices for those of us who do value it enough to pay, and over time turning the free product much more into trial/demoware. And somewhat wistfully but resolutely waving bye to the users who might *like* EN, but when push comes to shove would sooner or later migrate to M, A, G's offering anyway, just maybe in a few years if they continue to integrate it into their platforms and offer it as a "loss-leader". 

• Like 2

Martin, you make great points. My perception is that none of the big players jumped on this particular bandwagon until they realized the power of EN. I paid no attention to OneNote even though I have Office, and Apple Notes was little more than a grocery list maker. I don't work, so there was no push to use any particular product. Google Keep doesn't seem to be in the game at all. The EN fan base is huge, just check the EN books on Amazon or the pins on Pinterest. I can't imagine all these users, free or premium will jump ship, I will not. I'm a premium user and will go the th Plus plan. I think the big question is who will buy the EN company and when. The competition is rough and they will all be trying to lure or buy the EN user base.

I've been an EN member since 2010, and a premium subscriber for at least 90% of that time. I recently imported everything into OneNote as I've used both OneNote and EN for quite some time, and I can't justify the $89 CAD for the premium subscription. Sorry, but PDF annotation isn't worth quite that much to me.

Anyway...

One thing I find funny - and I'm guilty of it too at times - is how we let our biases play into things. For example, the stories above about how EN is worth it because it held receipts and let you look up old purchases. You can do that in OneNote just as easily, and OneNote is free. You could also save the receipt on Dropbox or Google Drive, or even file it in a folder in your desk. It's not like EN is the only way to do this. I've also seen a lot of comments bashing OneNote where I just think to myself "actually yes it CAN do that", "actually that's not true" and "well, you can, just differently". 

It works both ways though too, to be fair - there are lots of comments on here in favor of OneNote that don't take all the EN features into account.

I know it's impossible to remove biases but if we could pair it down a bit on both sides the discussion would be far more fruitful and factual.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Unsure. I've been a Premium subscriber for much of the time. Evernote Desktop has not worked for years. I've tried to get a discount for that.  My subscription is about to lapse and I may either go back to Basic or leave Evernote entirely. I use Evernote for many things, but combine a malfunctioning app with a high price and poor customer and tech service and perhaps it's time to go.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Etonreve said:

perhaps it's time to go

Just curious as to where you're going?  I like to keep an eye on alternative services

So far, Evernote is the only service I've found that does the job for me
When price becomes an issue for me, my intention is to downgrade to Plus or Basic

• Level 5*

I've used both Evernote and OneNote and several other of their competitors to see if there's a better option out there,  but for me Evernote is working just fine thanks.  I understand @TechBarber's point about bias,  but as far as I can see it more boils down to we're all different

Evernote is used by a huge number of people to do a wide range of different things from coding support to shopping lists.  Many of those could - and sometimes should - be done in different software.  But if the individual is happy and the system is working for them,  why change? 

Similarly lots of tasks for which Evernote should be ideally suited are not working well for various individuals. 

Maybe that's software / hardware (or wetware) / or network related;  having too high an expectation of IT generally;  or not enough experience of Evernote.  The reason doesn't matter.  If you feel you're banging your head against a solid wall - for heaven's sake STOP!

Try what other software you can find,  and see if there's a better fit:  but don't be too proud to come back to Evernote (as quietly as you like) later if it turns out there ain't no such thing as a perfect system.

You can't blame Evernote for failing to develop the right features,  or even that the app just fails too often.  See if they can fix the problem by all means,  but unless you were a lottery winner recently,  your main task is to get stuff done.  I'm continuing,  as always,  to use Evernote on the basis that as long as it suits me for my own selfish purposes (and they're still around,  which seems to be less of a questionmark these days) they're my app of choice.

Show me a nice shiny product that does more,  and better,  and I'll bite yer hand off - after some careful vetting...  some of the apps I've tried are no longer around themselves.  :(

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
On 6/30/2016 at 8:49 AM, GreenTea13 said:

I wanted to leave (and tried) but the amount of notes that I currently have in Evernote makes that really, really difficult. So I just ended up paying for the plus membership. I'm still pissed that they are basically forcing their free users to become paid users, but I also can't find any other program that I like as much. ;__;

Though I have to say that if Evernotes goal was to piss off a majority of their user base they have succeed with flying colors. I just hope that this isn't going to be how they continue to run their business, because if things don't get better in the next year (the length of my plus membership) I'll probably have consider alternatives again.

you can use onenote and easily port all of your notes out

• Level 5*
On 12/24/2020 at 12:11 AM, guanggge said:

you can use onenote and easily port all of your notes out

Well. 

1) you're responding to a 4 year old post and

2) Onenote doesn't have the same structure as Evernote,  so if you have any number of notes,  once ported out,  they will likely be rather difficult to use...

I exported my several thousand notes to Apples Notes.  I did some pruning that was well over due - turns out I don’t need those airline confirmations from 5 years ago etc.   After taking a while to sync up via iCloud, apple notes works fast and the search is great.   I find my notes on all my devices and it just works.  I also like the lack of clutter in the app.   That’s the good.

The bad is web clipping.   Apple notes just doesn’t do a good job of this.   My solution is to basically use Evernote as a temporary holding spot for my clips.  I periodically go through them and decide whether to export them to Notes.  ALso note links don’t exist in apple notes.  That was an EN feature I really liked.  I guess I can live without it though.   

I’ll be honest - I am surprised at how well Notes does what I need it to do - basically be a digital filing cabinet.  It’s definitely not as feature rich as Evernote, but it works for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

... and even for note taking it is worth a second look - the new editor is not bad at all, if you like a clean interface with a lot of embedded content, but do not want to learn / use markdown. Markdown is fine on a keyboard, but it sucks on the soft keys like tablets or phones.

For plain note taking, get a Basic account, and you are done. Most negative threads here in the forum are related to interrupted specialized workflows, that do not work with v10, or describe toothing problems, of which most are solved in the current releases.

• Like 3