Searchable PDFs' with new payment plan

• Level 5

I will probably downgrade from the $70 Premium to the $35 Plus subscription. The only change that concerns me would be the lost ability to search for text in PDF's.

• $35 Plus - text search in PDF's? No
  • $70 Premium - text search in PDF's? Yes

But all my PDF's are OCR'd (searchable) by my ScanSnap scanner before going to Evernote. 

I wonder if the general text search in the Plus version will handle my searchable PDFs? My gut feeling is that it will work just fine - the same way it is handled today.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I will probably downgrade from the $70 Premium to the $35 Plus subscription. The only change that concerns me would be the lost ability to search for text in PDF's.

• $35 Plus - text search in PDF's? No
  • $70 Premium - text search in PDF's? Yes

But all my PDF's are OCR'd (searchable) by my ScanSnap scanner before going to Evernote. 

I wonder if the general text search in the Plus version will handle my searchable PDFs? My gut feeling is that it will work just fine - the same way it is handled today.

A concern for me too.

I could add descriptive details  in the note outside the pdf

>>But all my PDF's are OCR'd (searchable) by my ScanSnap scanner before going to Evernote. 

Thats a better solution.  I don't currently OCR my documents, just rely on Evernote's internal OCR process

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

I wonder if the general text search in the Plus version will handle my searchable PDFs?

I think it will but would be good to test on a free account to verify.

• Level 5

If my gut instinct is correct and the $35 Plus subscription will search my previously OCR'd PDF's, I will add it to my list of reasons to OCR with ScanSnap instead of Evernote. (and I'll save some money)

Yes, It takes a bit longer, but I always let ScanSnap do the OCR for me.

Why?

1.) Exported PDFs:
ScanSnap: The PDF document remains OCR'd if I export it from Evernote.
Evernote: The PDF document loses its OCR if I export it from Evernote. 

2.) Consistency:
ScanSnap: The search results are consistent in Evernote, whether I view them from my desktop client or the Evernote web.
Evernote: The search results are not consistent because Evernote uses different OCR software depending on the platform. 

3.) 100% OCR:
ScanSnap: Works on notes that are stored in my local non-sync'd Evernote notebooks.
Evernote: Evernote cannot see my notes on my local non-sync'd notebooks, so the PDF's cannot be OCR'd. 

4.) No rules:
ScanSnap: OCR's all my PDF's - no rules and I know it is done.
Evernote: Evernote has 7 technical rules to follow and no warning if the document fails to meet all the rules
https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23169032

This is the question for me as well.  Will all current PDF's that are already OCR'd by Evernote continue to be searchable?  I try to OCR all of my scans before putting into Evernote, but I have been lazy as of late and scanning using my phone and Scanable.  

While I use EN quite a bit and have been a premium user for years (2010 join and 2011 premium) I am not sure I can stomach 55% increase for the same features.

• Level 5*

Yes, if my experience rings true.  I have a premium and a free account.  Notes with PDFs that I have moved to the free account are still searchable there.  In fact currently, I think if you OCR the PDFs yourself they are searchable in a free EN account.  Don't know if that will be the same going forward. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I think if you OCR the PDFs yourself they are searchable in a free EN account

That is my understanding as well.  I believe premium vs free is an OCR difference and not a search difference.

Archived