Feature Request: Pining notes in the notebook stack.

Feature Request: I would like to be able to sort notes by update date in the notebook stack, but also have few at the top of the stack I always want to read. Being able to right click and pin specific notes would be really useful for those that I read most often. Any plans for this feature? Thank you.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

Feature Request: I would like to be able to sort notes by update date in the notebook stack, but also have few at the top of the stack I always want to read. Being able to right click and pin specific notes would be really useful for those that I read most often. Any plans for this feature? Thank you.

A note will be pinned if you add a Reminder to it (unless you are using list view) Hopefully this function will be added to list view as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2016 at 7:06 AM, gustavgi said:

A note will be pinned if you add a Reminder to it (unless you are using list view) Hopefully this function will be added to list view as well.

That is not what I really need, because adding reminders clog up the UI. It is very impractical and clumsy was of doing something that should be really simple. And with the price increase you would think they are working on it. Or at least reply to it.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

That is not what I really need, because adding reminders clog up the UI. It is very impractical and clumsy was of doing something that should be really simple. And with the price increase you would think they are working on it. Or at least reply to it.

Agree that the Reminder Section clogs up the UI.  I have mine turned off all the time

As to what Evernote should be working on - I think they should focus on the high priority items.
You can indicate your support for feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussions.

As to what Evernote should "at least reply to it"
What kind of reply are you looking for?

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Agree that the Reminder Section clogs up the UI.  I havd mine turned off all the time

As to what Evernote should be working on - I think they should focus on the high priority items.
You can indicate your support for feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussions.

As to what Evernote should "at least reply to it"
What kind of reply are you looking for?

I was looking for some responses from an Evernote team. Ensuring they care and have hear the feature request.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

I was looking for some responses from an Evernote team. Ensuring they care and have hear the feature request.

I can't say I've ever seen them produce a list of all the feature requests that they've "heard"
What I have seen is that they implemented this forum where requests can be listed and voted on
I flagged your post to try and get a heard/care response from Evernote

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

According to a number of Evernote staff posts, they read all posts. Obviously they don't respond to all of them. Price increases are no guarantee that they are going to implement specific feature requests, and arbitrary note pinning (in any context) is one of those. There are any number of ways of accomplishing this yourself in Evernote, as you probably know (I use reminders, myself, in conjunction with other filters, e.g. tags; a saved search might be another solution), but they're not as convenient as a simple pin operation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Krunoslav,

I appreciate you taking the time to create this feature request, and I can definitely see why that would be a useful feature within notebook stacks. We receive many feature requests everyday, so it's hard for our development team to respond to them all individually, but rest assured they do review the forum, in particular the Product Feedback forums. With the implementation of the new voting system, we encourage our users to vote for ideas they like, giving our team a better idea of what features are wanted by many. I've added my vote to your feature request :).

15 hours ago, amanda_h said:

Hi @Krunoslav,

I appreciate you taking the time to create this feature request, and I can definitely see why that would be a useful feature within notebook stacks. We receive many feature requests everyday, so it's hard for our development team to respond to them all individually, but rest assured they do review the forum, in particular the Product Feedback forums. With the implementation of the new voting system, we encourage our users to vote for ideas they like, giving our team a better idea of what features are wanted by many. I've added my vote to your feature request :).

Thank you for responding Amanda, I appreciate that very much. For the record, I don't mind the wait for any feature if I know that its being worked on or I'm explained why is not possible. But I do mind when a company ignores the users. So thank you for responding in person. The voting system you mentioned, can you please make it more clear how to do it so that all users will quickly become aware of it where and how to use it. Is there a how to video video you can post on the forums that is pined or something so its hard to miss. Otherwise with the number of distractions the average users is dealing with on daily basis its going to be easy to miss.

Another thing I would also like to recommend using this opportunity is when posting new updates notification like the next beta release or something. Can you please include screenshots of the new features. Reading something like this:

New:

• New Tools/Options UI with lots of new options available
  • New Thumbnail view for your list of notes that presents notes the way they look in Note View

Does not reveal a lot about what that is unless one installs the Evernote, its hard to say what it means. Including a simple screenshot, or Gif would greatly help with this. And its super easy to do.  I have been asking for this in the past. But seems every time its the new employee who pots the update notification. I will re-post this again on the forum where the beta release notification is. I am posting it here because you seem to be one of very few people from Evernote who actually reposed to a concern or request. Thanks.

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎07 at 10:00 AM, Krunoslav said:

Well since pinning notebooks to the top shouldn't override a "sort by" action, as that would mean that you would have to unpin the note everytime you want to do a manual sort action, wouldn't pinning need a different area at the top of the lists which mirrors the pinned notes?

The reason for "pinning" a note is to remind you of that note in the future. And If you click the reminder button, the standard is that it won't add a date, thus only having the function to pin the note. But even if the name of the "reminder" button was changed to a "pin note" button, doesn't it already pretty much fix your problem?

Or how would you implement it?

If you think the reminder UI is clunky, maybe you have some suggestions to make it less clunky?

22 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Well since pinning notebooks to the top shouldn't override a "sort by" action, as that would mean that you would have to unpin the note everytime you want to do a manual sort action, wouldn't pinning need a different area at the top of the lists which mirrors the pinned notes?

The reason for "pinning" a note is to remind you of that note in the future. And If you click the reminder button, the standard is that it won't add a date, thus only having the function to pin the note. But even if the name of the "reminder" button was changed to a "pin note" button, doesn't it already pretty much fix your problem?

Or how would you implement it?

If you think the reminder UI is clunky, maybe you have some suggestions to make it less clunky?

My personal need is not related to reminders or being reminded, its about accessing the information I need quickly and with most flexibility. Shortcuts and reminders are not idea but they are better than nothing.

How would I implement it?

Simple. You would be able to sort the notes the same way you can do now, expect when you right click on note you always want at the top of the list, you would choose "pin the note" or something like that.

This forum we are in now, always has one post, the original post pinned even if you browse trough the pages of the thread right? When you go on Facebook page, there is usually one, the most important post pined. In Windows Explorer on Win 10 you can choose any folder and pin it to quick access. It is quite common feature, more and more. Precisely because its simple and handy.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

My personal need is not related to reminders or being reminded, its about accessing the information I need quickly and with most flexibility. Shortcuts and reminders are not idea but they are better than nothing.

How would I implement it?

Simple. You would be able to sort the notes the same way you can do now, expect when you right click on note you always want at the top of the list, you would choose "pin the note" or something like that.

This forum we are in now, always has one post, the original post pinned even if you browse trough the pages of the thread right? When you go on Facebook page, there is usually one, the most important post pined. In Windows Explorer on Win 10 you can choose any folder and pin it to quick access. It is quite common feature, more and more. Precisely because its simple and handy.

Well the examples you mention with pinned posts are not pinned for easy access to more information, but pinned to remind you of what the evernote thread was about, or to make sure you read that information first (facebook). Whether you call it pinned notes, reminders or notifications should be less important.

Easy access is usually fixed by adding access from a side bar, where Windows 10 has "Quick access", and Evernote has Shortcuts in the same place in the left panel.

But, If you add a reminder to a note in Evernote, it will always be at the top of the list, just like all your examples.

I do however think it's a great suggestion that adding a reminder should be an option in the right click menu. Now you have to see the note and click once on the Reminder icon, which isn't optimal if you have the note panel closed i.e., or would want to pin several notes at once.

I am also still a bit curious about why you think the reminder UI at the top is clunky? To me it's like saying it's clunky that the first post in this thread is always at the top.

26 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Well the examples you mention with pinned posts are not pinned for easy access to more information, but pinned to remind you of what the evernote thread was about, or to make sure you read that information first (facebook). Whether you call it pinned notes, reminders or notifications should be less important.

Easy access is usually fixed by adding access from a side bar, where Windows 10 has "Quick access", and Evernote has Shortcuts in the same place in the left panel.

But, If you add a reminder to a note in Evernote, it will always be at the top of the list, just like all your examples.

I do however think it's a great suggestion that adding a reminder should be an option in the right click menu. Now you have to see the note and click once on the Reminder icon, which isn't optimal if you have the note panel closed i.e., or would want to pin several notes at once.

I am also still a bit curious about why you think the reminder UI at the top is clunky? To me it's like saying it's clunky that the first post in this thread is always at the top.

Please if you trying to convince me about something don't use yourself and your workflow as a judgment of quality. Because it does not help. If you use Evernote differently that is fine, I don't use it as you do.

Shortcuts on the left side are also something that should stay in place or you have to scroll endlessly to reach them every time you are trying to click on something. Providing you have lots of notebooks like me. Luckily they brought back the ability to have it as a separate toolbar at the top.

Reminders are reminders, I don't want reminders nor do I want to add dates. I just want to pin the note with a click. Reminders are messy for anything that is not a about reminders. And one more time, I do not look for reminders I am looking for quick access. I want clean UI with no do dates and anything like that. Plus if I want a reminder I want it to be separated because that is its function. Quick access pin is quick access pin. Its not a reminder per se. Obviously your workflow is different than mine so you don't understand, because you don't use it. But with 100 + mil users, I'm sure you can agree we don't all use Evernote the same way and it would be insane to expect that we do.

Reminders serve a different purpose and are not elegant solution for cross referencing information from note to note. Which is something I often do. And Shortcuts when you click on them show you all notes with the one you had as shortcut selected. Again it losses the access to the others in the note stack or notebook. Do you understand now?

Here is a simple SCREENSHOT to show what I would like. Simple.

sshot-9.jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

51 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

We use Evernote differently.

Personally, my use of reminders is for.........reminders; (actually task due dates)
I have hundreds of entries, and I've turned off the reminder section - I don't find it workable

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Personally, my use of reminders is for.........reminders; (actually task due dates)
I have hundreds of entries, and I've turned off the reminder section - I don't find it workable

Well the reminder section only shows reminders within the current context, so the only obnoxious view for me is the all notes view which I only use for search. Since the default reminder is without a due date, I always saw it as a mainly a pinning function for reminding/giving easy access, with the option to use it as a due date.

But I guess reminders are thought of mainly as a due date function because a due date function had been requested for a long time when the reminders function was added. But there is a reason for why the people that asked for a due date function isn't very happy with the reminders function, because it isn't really a task due date function.

And I try to keep the notes where I do use a due dates separated from the other context, by having those to-dos in separate notebooks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Krunoslav,

Not sure if you found a way round this, but I have a lot of pinned Notes at the top of Notebooks.

I use a simple date naming procedure that means my Notes are all in order:

I have this Note in a Notebook for my camera club emails:

151209 - SAMPLE JUDGE EMAIL

So I created it on the 9th December 2015

If I want this Note to stay at the top of the Notebook, I would then go in and change the date created the one above shows it was created:

9/12/2020

My system is set up to show Notes in order of date created and reverse sort order. This way the 'newest' Note is always on the top.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris

8 hours ago, C6REW said:

Hi Krunoslav,

Not sure if you found a way round this, but I have a lot of pinned Notes at the top of Notebooks.

If I want this Note to stay at the top of the Notebook, I would then go in and change the date created the one above shows it was created:

9/12/2020

My system is set up to show Notes in order of date created and reverse sort order. This way the 'newest' Note is always on the top.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris

That's a pretty cool idea for a workaround until maybe one day Evernote make is easier to do. Thank you. Appreciate it. :)

Edit: After some testing I found a problem. When I change something in the note it also automatically updates the date and negates the workaround. Any ideas? I tried to change manually both the updated date to 2020 and created date and its the same problem. Plus any other note that I update it skips the changed one and goes to the top. Am I doing something wrong or the workaround is very limited? Thoughts?

Hi Krunoslav,

You probably have it set to 'Sort Notes by Updated'. Change it to 'Sort Notes by Created'.

Once you have done this, go File, Exit and it will save the settings, so when you switch on Evernote next time, it will have remembered them.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, C6REW said:

9/12/2020

Some of us work on platforms where we aren't able to modify the create date, however we all can modify the note title.

I notice you prefix your title with a date; why not use that for pinning, and sort by title.   for example, 000000 - SAMPLE JUDGE EMAIL would sort to the top

Yes you can do that if you choose.

As mentioned I use this date code which works well.

With over 25,000 Notes spanning 8 years of information and an additional 20 years of information slowly being inputted to Evernote, I need to be able to access any Note easily, using a simple date code helps.

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, C6REW said:

Hi Krunoslav,

You probably have it set to 'Sort Notes by Updated'. Change it to 'Sort Notes by Created'.

Once you have done this, go File, Exit and it will save the settings, so when you switch on Evernote next time, it will have remembered them.

Best regards

Chris

Thank you but that is not ideal because I like to have the updated notes on top as I am changing them. So if I choose created date the order again its not ideal. But at least its something. I hope someone at Evernote is listening. Thank you.

Hi Krunoslav,

The way I look at software is probably different from most folks. It is based around how I used to sell quality control software to the automotive industry.

Typically two floppy discs - yes it was that long ago - would cost £25,0000 or about $33,000. Customers would ask for a feature that was not there and I would explain they could have it, but the change would cost about $250,000! Of course they would be shocked and I explained how doing one change for them could become expensive.

The alternative is to work within the limitations of the software. This is something I have continued throughout my life.

With regards to your problem, I also found myself preferring to sort by the 'change' date, but saw, as you did, that this caused me a problem. Hence I changed to the 'create' date. Sometimes I change it to title. 

For example we are scanning in over 20 years worth of order files in my company. But it is easier to scan them as the folders get dug out of the archives, rather than finding the older ones. This means that my normal method of sorting by date created will mean they are not in the order file date order. So when I need, for whatever reason to look at them in the date the order actually came in I change the sort to 'title'. We title each Note into the original date code and our own 'order' number as the title.

I find it is about looking how you can make the software work for you rather than 'needing' a specific feature. 

It works for us anyway!

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, C6REW said:

I find it is about looking how you can make the software work for you rather than 'needing' a specific feature. 

For sure.  And if it gets too painful and isn't going to change, look for other software.

Archived