How to transfer all the notes from Google Keep to Evernote

• Level 5*

Do you have any export options in Google Keep
( I found this http://googlesystem.blogspot.ca/2015/08/export-all-your-google-keep-notes.html)

If you can export your notes, it should be easier to import them into Evernote

edit: I found this - https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-transfer-all-the-notes-from-Google-Keep-to-Evernote

• 1 year later...

This is an old topic, but considering the lack of other useful information out there it might be helpful to someone yet.

I just converted some notes from Keep to Evernote. The rough procedure was:

• use Google Takeout to get a zipfile of all notes. You get a folder full of html files, one per note. The filenames roughly correspond to note titles, but they don't matter.
  • export some similar notes from Evernote desktop to get sample .enex files (evernote xml export)
  • write python code:
    • write an XML prologue
    • parse an HTML file, extracting note title, timestamp, tags, and content
    • emit a <note/> element representing the note in that html file
      • repeat for another file
    • write an XML epilogue
  • save this as a .enex file
  • import the enex into evernote desktop. This creates a new notebook which is not synced, but you can move the successful notes out.

The files from Keep are badly formatted HTML files. They declare themselves as XHTML but actually do not validate as XML, so using a real XML parser is difficult. It seems that they're generated by a line-by-line procedure though. In parsing the file, I could go line by line up to the content start marker, then read the rest of the file, strip out the content end marker and everything after, and process the content HTML into XML.

A few things about the conversion:

• The <note> element you convert to has a <content> element whose value should be a CDATA.
  • The value of the CDATA must parse as an XML document too. This is the trickiest part, converting broken XHTML content to valid XML, but at least you don't need to escape anything.
  • An XML processor treats the CDATA as opaque binary content, so validating your final XML will not reveal parse issues in your content CDATA XML. You just need to get it right.
  • The CDATA should contain, in addition to an <xml... header, a doctype and an <en-note> element. You can see this in the samples you export from Evernote. Within the <en-note> you can pretty much just use HTML, as far as I can tell. However...
  • Keep will format todo lists as follows:
    <div class="listitem checked"><div class="bullet">&#9745;</div> [line break + list item content]
    <div class="listitem"><div class="bullet">&#9744;</div> [line break + list item content]

These should be converted to <en-todo checked="true|false"/>
  1. . Note that this is a closed element followed by content. Content is not a child node of the element.

I had only 84 notes, and the procedure took enough fiddling that I'm not sure whether it would scale well to 1200. But in the end I had only one note that required a manual tweak to load.

My code is pretty bad — it's just a couple hours' quick hack — but I'll attach it in case it's a useful foundation for someone else.

keep-to-enex

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, Semion said:

Such expensive software should provide features. No features no pay

There is no charge for the Evernote software, and Google Keep is a free service.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/2/2018 at 1:10 PM, dgc said:

I just converted some notes from Keep to Evernote. The rough procedure was:

• use Google Takeout to get a zipfile of all notes. You get a folder full of html files, one per note. The filenames roughly correspond to note titles, but they don't matter.

Did you try just importing the HTML files? The Evernote Windows client will import HTML if you use its Import Folder facility.

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 2:48 PM, jefito said:

Did you try just importing the HTML files? The Evernote Windows client will import HTML if you use its Import Folder facility.

It does if it's all very well formatted and so. Anything it doesn't like it gets the whole note ignored. This is the case with Keep notes exported from Google Takeout, for example.

To be true, simply removing the first two lines from each of the HTML files makes them almost enough to be imported.

But the very good script posted by @dgc above goes further: it converts, so you can have the lists checkboxes and so.

Actually, I had to update the script so it could work with more recent Keep changes. It imported all my 177 notes except for one - which has an image attached to it. Doesn't seem hard to change the code to also process it, but I let it alone from automatic conversion, and imported by hand.

EDIT: well, I posted it to a project on my repo: @dgc, it's up to you - if you wish, I can remove it, after all you've helped us but it's code written originally by you. Once again, thanks for it.

keep20180713-to-enex6.1.py

Edited by charlescanato
Added a link to a project I've created on my repo, with dgc's script
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, tacchi said:

So, is there any new update added to Evernote to import Google Keep notes?

There are no changes on the Evernote side, just generic import options

On 8/9/2018 at 8:40 PM, DTLow said:

There are no changes on the Evernote side, just generic import options

Hmmm, Google keep now allows you to export individual notes to Evernote and other apps (https://www.thetechminute.com/export-google-keep-notes-to-evernote/). But, that is a time-consuming task as one can't send all the notes at once. But, why does Evernote has Import from OneNote option but not Google Keep? Does it have anything to do with the unavailability of Google Keep Desktop client? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 7:39 PM, tacchi said:

Hmmm, Google keep now allows you to export individual notes to Evernote and other apps (https://www.thetechminute.com/export-google-keep-notes-to-evernote/). But, that is a time-consuming task as one can't send all the notes at once. But, why does Evernote has Import from OneNote option but not Google Keep? Does it have anything to do with the unavailability of Google Keep Desktop client? 

Howdy, tacchi.

Have you received a response to this question?

If not... please contact EN Support... and report back final result.

THX.  ~ Alan

• 1 year later...

A fix I found for a few beginner problems I had with this!

1. Couldn't get it to run on Windows - Python kept complaining about invalid arguments. Got it to run on Linux by turning "/*.html" into "./*.html".

2. It outputs a stream of info. If you don't specify where to put it, it'll just put it in the command line. On Linux and Windows, you can pipe it to a file by adding "> output.enex" after.