Increased Search Efficiency

My installation is slowing down and becoming nearly impossible to use, constantly getting "EverNote is unresponsive" when it is just doing a search.  Tags are indexed and are much faster in searching, but if you don't start the search with the first character being an exact match, the possible fill options are not displayed and it then becomes a search for the right tag.  Since I frequently remember only part of the tag used previously, I want to be able to search for "fragments" of a tag.  This would speed up my selection considerably.  In particular, nested tags are the only method that I am aware of that enables a hierarchical structure, but it is severely limited by the lack of this ability. This would make the use of nested tags much more usable in providing faster searching and hierarchical depth.  Maybe this won't work for everyone, so how about providing the option for the user to decide which search option works best for them?  This seems like a simple and straight forward improvement to the products intended purpose.

• Level 5*

What version are you using?  I believe the current Windows version has non-prefix tag searching.  I remember turning it off, not my cup of tea. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TahoeLocal said:

My installation is slowing down and becoming nearly impossible to use, constantly getting "EverNote is unresponsive" when it is just doing a search.

If you have not done a reboot in a while, you might try that.  It often cures a multitude of issues.

If after a reboot, you continue to experience dramatic slowness, then you may want to submit a support ticket.  See their new support center at Support page.

• Level 5

@TahoeLocal To speed up search, please make sure you're using the latest V6 version and do the following:

1. Ctrl+Click Help menu item in the menu bar
2. Shift+Click "Recreate Full Text Search index"
3. Click OK in "Evernote will delete existing search index and create it from scratch"

Rebuilding search index may take awhile, you may use Evernote during this time, but it's better to leave it running. V6 has an updated index implementation, however, it is not upgraded by default, so one needs to force delete/create index action. You only need to do this once, this new index should behave much better with your growing database.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, TahoeLocal said:

Tags are indexed and are much faster in searching, but if you don't start the search with the first character being an exact match, the possible fill options are not displayed and it then becomes a search for the right tag.  Since I frequently remember only part of the tag used previously, I want to be able to search for "fragments" of a tag.

Set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/TagPickerPrefixSearch registry value to 0 to get the desired behavior. This option and many other previously hidden options will be exposed in the new Options UI that will be released with the next version.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

Set HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/TagPickerPrefixSearch registry value to 0 to get the desired behavior. This option and many other previously hidden options will be exposed in the new Options UI that will be released with the next version.

Since this will be a visible option, is it possible to now have the same behavior apply to adding tags to a note as well? I keep creating new undesired tags, just because I can't remember exactly how I have phrased the existing tag (the prefix) the first time.

It will also help as a context function, as Evernote will then suggest all the tags containing what I am typing - which I myself in the moment may not have thought would be a relevant tag to tag it with, or could spark a relevant connection.

I have previously holden back on explicitly pushing this, as a lack of an option in settings would make people who's workflow is dependant on filtering by prefix when adding tags, get all kinds of irrelevant suggestions first.

• Level 5

@gustavgi Tags Picker uses "search" paradigm: an entry field where search text is entered and then used to search tags for prefix or sub string match. Note Tag editor uses "autocomplete" paradigm: the characters typed in the entry field are used to display a list of tags that begin with the typed characters and auto complete text in the entry field with the top matching entry. These two paradigms are very different and I don't see any way to combine them in a sane manner.

What we could probably do is to add an option to use Tag Picker instead of Tag AutoComplete in the Note Tag Editor: when you click Add tag... in the note info tag line, you'll get something like this:

TagSearchPopup.png

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

@gustavgi Tags Picker uses "search" paradigm: an entry field where search text is entered and then used to search tags for prefix or sub string match. Note Tag editor uses "autocomplete" paradigm: the characters typed in the entry field are used to display a list of tags that begin with the typed characters and auto complete text in the entry field with the top matching entry. These two paradigms are very different and I don't see any way to combine them in a sane manner.

What we could probably do is to add an option to use Tag Picker instead of Tag AutoComplete in the Note Tag Editor: when you click Add tag... in the note info tag line, you'll get something like this:

TagSearchPopup.png

If that would be possible, that would be awesome for several reasons, as I assume both the display of tag styles (while searching that is) and the yellow markings that point out the match would be carried over as well! The tag picker also display tags before you actually start typing, which is a good thing as well imo.

• Level 5
4 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

If that would be possible, that would be awesome for several reasons, as I assume both the display of tag styles and the yellow markings that point out the match would be carried over as well!

Tag Picker is an integrated component so all its features, including tag styles and highlighting, will be carried over.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, kvitekp said:

This option and many other previously hidden options will be exposed in the new Options UI that will be released with the next version.

Outstanding!   Thank you very much for listening to and responding to our requests.

I have seen posts claiming that Evernote does not respond to users.  That is clearly wrong as evidenced by this change.

• 1 month later...

Now this strikes me as funny, although I'm not sure if it is a "Gee Whiz" or a "Ha Ha" type of funny.  Since I started this thread, I should probably have a better memory of the suggestion than I do.  Frankly, that isn't even my current concern.  It just happened that the persistent issue of performance brought me back to the forum and having forgotten this matter already, I was curious to see what I was up about.  I must of deleted the notice that others have made comments, because I know that I didn't read these.  I wish now that I was more conscientious and followed up on this, because then I would have spotted the solution to my problems (with Evernote) much sooner, which is here:

On 6/25/2016 at 7:28 AM, kvitekp said:

Ctrl+Click Help menu item in the menu bar
2. Shift+Click "Recreate Full Text Search index"
3. Click OK in "Evernote will delete existing search index and create it from scratch"

I feel very strongly that I should have known about the Shift+Click Help menu directions, but I did not.  I don't presently have time to search for the documentation on this function, so I have to assume that it is there, somewhere.  As I've already had to research a number of issues on Evernote and never seen any mention of this (that I remember), I would really like to know how and why I completely missed this?  Because these functions appear to have resolved all of my performance issues.  While I realize that I could have just missed these, it is a bit of an irritant to know that I previously opened a ticket and "customer service" had me running down the installation and doing everything up to a reinstall.  I think that I even did that, but had to move on to other issues.  So this is the point:  Why are these functions not out front and obvious?  I mean so that a customer doesn't have to do extensive research everyone?  Why did CR waste my time doing unnecessary troubleshooting when all I needed was a rebuild?  I was just now reaching the point of closing my account and completely switching to Onenote, but then I finally found this information.  Actually, just thinking about the wasted time is so aggravating that I had better just stop here and forget about it.  Why are these maintenance routines not out front so that people can find them?  Why does CS waste my time instead of pointing out the most obvious answer?  Does anybody there realize that waiting two or three minutes for the system to catch-up, many times a day, actually adds up to a lot of wasted time?  If these are new functions, why not put them out front where people can find them?  The only reason that I don't go 100% Onenote is that sometimes I need a particular function, but trust me on this, there is only 2 or 3 of them.  How I wish that their "Help" was customer centric, but that is another story.  None-the-less, thanks to kvitekp, I can now be more efficient.  Thanks you. 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, TahoeLocal said:

Why are these functions not out front and obvious?

A good question.  I can't speak for EN, but perhaps the options were added in early days as "hidden" processes to help CS when dealing with issues when there may have been concerns of users executing them at the wrong time???  But now, why the Easter eggs aren't in the open, got me.

Guru,  

Thanks for your affirmation.  I'm trying to be a bit more conscientious about following up, since I nearly missed the "Easter Eggs".  I like that metaphor, because that is what it has come to be, an Easter Egg Hunt.  So I would like to keep this thread alive until either there is a change to expose these options, or at least an explanation as to why they should not be.  These are essential functions and they need to accessible to all users, even the ones that can't spend a lot of unproductive hours trying to make their product work correctly.  As with many software companies, Evernote benefits from customers taking the time to answer questions among themselves.  It is logical that they would want to encourage that and be responsive to people trying to make answers more accessible.  Readers can help by keeping this thread alive or starting a new one, but lets get this fixed for everyone.  So how about it, Evernote?

Archived