• Level 5*
2 hours ago, meg.w.byers said:

I have three folders entitled "conflicting changes" on my home screen that I can't get rid of.  Tried clicking them and hitting "delete" and dragging them to the trashcan and neither worked.  Suggestions?

My process on my Mac is to right click on the notebook, hit delete, and confirm the delete

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 11.13.45 AM.png

• Evernote Staff
  • Solution

Hi there @meg.w.byers, welcome to the Forums!

Here is a (not so brief ) explanation of why this occurs and how to resolve it.

Occasionally, two copies of the same note will be found to be in conflict. This could arise when a given note is edited in two different locations before a sync has taken place. In this instance, the note will be placed into a temporary "Conflicting changes" notebook or the note will be copied within itself with the conflicting modification listed below the original note. You can then view both the local version of the note and the conflicting version from the server and manually apply any changes that couldn't be merged automatically. Once you're satisfied that original version has all of the changes, delete the version in the "Conflicting changes" notebook (as well as the notebook itself, if it's empty) or the conflicting change version shown inside the original note.

To reduce the conflicting changes issue on your devices, manually sync before you start working on a note and sync again when you finish. Do this whenever you change devices to keep the notes updated on our servers and ready to be synced to the other device.

I think users adopt several different ways to resolve conflicting changes, but personally, what I do is open the conflicting note and the original note each in their own window. I align the two windows side-by-side with approximately the same width so that I can visually identify if anything is missing, line by line. Usually, I will just be able to delete one of the notes without making any changes.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for joining the community!

• Like 1
  • BSR pinned this topic
  • BSR unpinned this topic