Sorting TO DO lists

ItsDanielle

Hi all!

Love Evernote! Use it both private as business. Very important for both is the TO DO function! Can't go without it ;-). But...... with all those notes and different TO DO list I lack overview. So who can help me with 2 questions below? 

1) How can I make sure my unfinished/unmarked tasks are in the top off the list and the marked are down in one single note?

2) How can I get a total overview of all unfinished/unmarked tasks of ALL notes? So a master view so to speak?

This should be the answer according to Evernote but I can't get it to work:  list all the notes in your account with unfinished tasks, click inside the search field, select Add search option > Contains, then select 'Incomplete todos' from the list of options.

So above does NOT work: who can help me with Q1 and Q2? How can I get a totall overview of ALL outstanding/unmarked/unfinished TO DO items?

Thanks!!!!!

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, ItsDanielle said:

1. How can I make sure my unfinished/unmarked tasks are in the top off the list and the  marked are down in one single note?
  2. How can I get a total overview of all unfinished/unmarked tasks of ALL notes? So a master view so to speak?

My process is to use separate notes for each task

Each project has its own tag, so the tasks can separated by project

I use the Reminder date feature to indicate a start date
and the reminder done feature to indicate the task is completed

Using saved searches, I can list my current tasks with
        reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
or review my tasks by project

I can adjust the sort sequence by switching to title mode, and prefixing the note title.
All my tasks are prefixed with +    Next actions with +*    etc

I use the copy links feature to copy a task list into my daily journal

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, ItsDanielle said:

1) How can I make sure my unfinished/unmarked tasks are in the top off the list and the marked are down in one single note?

No way other than manually, have to move checked tasks to the one single note, or merged into an ongoing completed task note.

11 hours ago, ItsDanielle said:

2) How can I get a total overview of all unfinished/unmarked tasks of ALL notes? So a master view so to speak?

If you are referring to tasks designated by check boxes the search todo:false will display notes with unchecked to do items.  todo:true displays notes with checked to do items.  Notes with both checked and unchecked to do boxes will appear in both searches.  So todo:false should create list of all notes with unfinished/unmarked tasks, though there may be a few completed if you have multiple check boxes in any notes..

• 2 months later...

I look forward to the day when I can manage fully my customer jobs (or projects) in Evernote, but right now I don't think I can.

I make signs.

My workflow involves three apps.
Each job I do I use:
1.Evernote, to record details on the job in progress and the job when completed. (Photos, purchase orders, quotes, emails)  That part is easy, I just move the note from "in progress" Notebook to the "completed" Notebook. Evernote is the workhorse of my business.
2.cultured code Things, to keep track of tasks on each job. I find Evernote reminders too basic compared with Things (or any other good ToDo list)
3. Officetime, to log my time on each job so I can bill the hours I've spend on a project.

This means I have three separate lists of each job, not good. (Actually five lists if I include graphic files and accounts.)

In a perfect world I would do all this within one app. The world is good, but not perfect ?

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, tassiecelt said:

2.cultured code Things, to keep track of tasks on each job. I find Evernote reminders too basic compared with Things (or any other good ToDo list)

Can you identify the tasks functions you use Things for?

I'm not clear on your Reminders comment in regards to Tasks
I actually use Reminders to store a Task Due Date
I use saved searches to show my Current Task list.  Other searches could be set up with different timeframes.

Archived