Daniel Uhl

Turn off auto-formatting

Idea

Currently there's an option in Preferences->Formatting->Auto Format that turns off "create lists, lines, and emojis" but there are still several auto-format text replacements that this does not turn off. There should be a new option or extend this option to cover things like "----" tuning into an double m dash.

6 replies to this idea

2 hours ago, Daniel Uhl said:

Currently there's an option in Preferences->Formatting->Auto Format that turns off "create lists, lines, and emojis" but there are still several auto-format text replacements that this does not turn off. There should be a new option or extend this option to cover things like "----" tuning into an double m dash.

There are auto format options controlled by Evernote, and others controlled by the Mac OS.

Have you looked at the Mac keyboard text shortcuts?

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 11.36.31 AM.png

@DTLow I already turn off my auto format in evernote and my OSX.

In my keyboard > text setting, I have none and still in evernote is doing the "--" into "-".

What i really want is when i type "--" it becomes a "--" not a single dash.

7 hours ago, alber said:

@DTLow I already turn off my auto format in evernote and my OSX.

In my keyboard > text setting, I have none and still in evernote is doing the "--" into "-".

What i really want is when i type "--" it becomes a "--" not a single dash.

All I can say is that I disabled auto-formatting on my Mac, both in the OS and EvernoteScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 6.04.33 AM.png

@alber

In the text entry area inside EverNote, right-click and select "Substitutions".  You an enable or disable smart Dashes and Smart Quotes among other options.)  This fixed the double dash issue for me.  My "--" stays as "--".

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 4.01.55 PM.png

• Like 3

Hmm...any idea why this hasn't been implemented as an Edit > Substitutions submenu, as one would expect. Maybe it's just me, but I find it slightly illogical that the default behaviour of an app is managed via a contextual menu in a text entry field.

:-j