Laptop died - recover notes?

My laptop broke, and is currently being repaired, they're not sure if the hard drive is salvageable or not. I used evernote on there, was logged in, don't think I ever synced though, as I never used it on more than one device and never felt the need. However, I really need those notes, and I've tried logging in on IOS, another laptop, and on the web and it's not showing any of my notes, is there any way at all to recover these? 

• Level 5*

If you never synced your notes (none are on the web) and you don't have a backup, the only way I know to get the notes back is from the old hard drive.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, shxlle said:

My laptop broke, and is currently being repaired, they're not sure if the hard drive is salvageable or not. I used evernote on there, was logged in, don't think I ever synced though, as I never used it on more than one device and never felt the need. However, I really need those notes, and I've tried logging in on IOS, another laptop, and on the web and it's not showing any of my notes, is there any way at all to recover these? 

>>don't think I ever synced though, as I never used it on more than one device and never felt the need.

Syncing to the Evernote servers should have been automatic.  
The only way I know to turn it off is to disconnect from the internet (Mac/iPad)

Are you sure you used the correct account when checking on the web?

Correction: There is a "Manual Syncing" setting on the Mac, and the Windows equivalent (thanks @csihilling)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Syncing to the Evernote servers should have been automatic.  

Not 100% sure, but I don't think automatic syncing occurs if you uncheck all the options under Tools - Sync on Windows.  That is, uncheck all the boxes I have checked in my set up below.

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*

Best hope this is a motherboard issue - a dead chip or power supply.  It's pretty easy to get the hard drive out of a laptop.  I've replaced one of mine several times over the years. (It's a gas-powered laptop!) If you talk to a local computer shop I'm sure they'll sell you a hard drive enclosure to convert your existing internal drive into an external USB device when you should be able to copy the databases folder. 

On your new device,  set up your Evernote account with the same user name and password and then go offline.  Copy the old databases folder over the newly setup one,  and export your notes to ENEX files (one for each notebook) as a backup.  Then go back online and sync.  Check your notes.  If you have lost any,  import them from the ENEX files you just created.

For more background start here,  and search around for anything you don't understand - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005557

Archived