Jump to content

How verify 'which' EN you're using?


Recommended Posts

  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, mkraft77 said:

Sorry for possibly overlooking the obvious, but how can you verify that you are running an EN client (i.e., desktop version) as opposed to the web version?

Here's my Mac desktop screen, and Evernote>About

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 3.33.26 PM.png

 

Here's my web version

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 3.41.55 PM.png

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
51 minutes ago, mkraft77 said:

how can you verify that you are running an EN client (i.e., desktop version) as opposed to the web version?

EDIT:  2016-06-19 18:21 CT (Sun):  Provide a more comprehensive answer

The most basic method is to determine if the current, active, app, is "Evernote", or one of the browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox).

  • This is easily done just by looking at the Apple menu.  The active app will appear after the Apple logo, where you will see one of these:
    • EN-Mac-Apple-Menu.png
  • IF you see "Evernote", then you are using the EN Mac Desktop app
  • IF you see one of the browsers, then you are using the EN Web client

EN Mac Desktop Client

EN-Mac-Client-Indicator.png

EN Web Client using Safari Browser

EN-Web-Client-Indicator-%20Safari.png

 

EN Web client using the Chrome Browser

EN-Web-Client-Indicator.png

Link to comment

Thanks but not sure I understand.

What's different in the 'web' version?

It may be that I've only ever used the desktop version, but does its screen not display the same information as the desktop version?

How do you even get to it?  Is the web version accessed by going to Evernote's website and logging in from there? 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

This should make it clear you are using the EN Web client:

EN-Web-Client-Indicator.png

Ah, okay.  The tab bar tells you.  And the first dropdown menu identifies the browser, not Evernote.  Thanks.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, mkraft77 said:

How do you even get to it?  Is the web version accessed by going to Evernote's website and logging in from there? 

Thats correct; for the web version, open your browser and go to www.evernote.com

To use the desktop version, you have to download and install the client software.
Its a better user experience, and a copy of your notes are downloaded to your Mac

To obtain the software you can go to the Apple Mac App store, or at the bottom of the page at www.evernote.com

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 3.46.35 PM.png

Link to comment
Quote

Its a better user experience, and a copy of your notes are downloaded to your Mac

Thanks.  So if for some reason you've had to use the 'web' version to create/edit notes, when you open the D/T client back on your home computer does EN immediately automatically sync the work that you did in the 'web' version?

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, mkraft77 said:

Thanks.  So if for some reason you've had to use the 'web' version to create/edit notes, when you open the D/T client back on your home computer does EN immediately automatically sync the work that you did in the 'web' version?

Yes, syncing should be automatic but there is a button to force a sync, and you can set the interval for syncing.

Generally, people using the desktop version don't use the web platform; however you can use mobile devices (I have an iPad) and syncing is going on all the time.

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 3.57.27 PM.png

Link to comment
Quote
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, syncing should be automatic but there is a button to force a sync, and you can set the interval for syncing.

Generally, people using the desktop version don't use the web platform.

Got it, thanks again.

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

EDIT:  2016-06-19 18:21 CT (Sun):  Provide a more comprehensive answer

The most basic method is to determine if the current, active, app, is "Evernote", or one of the browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox).

Updated my post above to provide a more comprehensive method.

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...