How to paste in plain text easily?

If I copy some text with formatting, there's no easy way to just paste without formatting. The paste option will paste with the formatting and Paste and Match Style will paste matching the text before it (never found this feature useful). Why no Paste Plain Text? I have to paste then do another step of removing the formatting.

• Level 5*

When I use "Paste and Match Style" I get the default text format of the note into which I'm pasting.  I always thought that was just 'plain text' by another name.  Can you give us a couple of example screen grabs of what PAMS does to your text?

If I am pasting under a bolded text which I use as title or header, the pasted text is bolded tool. Yeah if your text is all plain text, then naturally the pasted text is plain text too.

• Level 5

Another workaround: After pasting, there are options to Simplify Formatting and Remove Formatting (on the Format menu, or the right-click menu; or Ctrl+Space and Ctrl+Shift+Space, respectively). By default, they apply to all text in the note; but if text is selected, they apply to all text in that paragraph (not just to the selected portion of a paragraph, but not to the entire note). Ctrl+Z will undo their effects.

9 hours ago, csihilling said:

Workaround.  Turn off the bold before you paste.  

It doesn't work. It will still paste in bold even after turning off bold if the cursor is under a bolded line. Try it.

• Level 5*
On 6/17/2016 at 1:14 AM, abdu said:

Why no Paste Plain Text? I have to paste then do another step of removing the formatting.

I suspect one reason is that in any rich text editor, like Evernote, there is no such thing as "plain text".
All text has some style, even if it the default font/size you have set in Options/Preferences.
The only place you have real plain text is in an actual plain text editor, like NotePad on a PC, or TextWrangler on a Mac.

The Simplify Formatting action (via menu or shortcut) will restore the default style.

So, if by "plain text" you mean the default style, here is one technique you can use:

1. At the insertion point, select all white space (spaces, tabs) from there to the next character
  2. Press the shortcut for Simplify Formatting (⌘⇧F on a Mac) to restore to default format
  3. Paste and Match Style (⌘⇧V on a Mac)
  4. If you need to do this lot, then you may find a keyboard macro tool useful.

The easiest work-around, which I often use, is to make sure nothing is selected, and apply  Simplify Formatting .  This restores your entire note to the default style.  Then a Paste and Match Style should work easily.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, abdu said:

It doesn't work. It will still paste in bold even after turning off bold if the cursor is under a bolded line. Try it.

You are right, my bad.  @Dave-in-Decatur's suggestion seems to be a workaround.

11 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I suspect one reason is that in any rich text editor, like Evernote, there is no such thing as "plain text".
All text has some style, even if it the default font/size you have set in Options/Preferences.
The only place you have real plain text is in an actual plain text editor, like NotePad on a PC, or TextWrangler on a Mac.

The Simplify Formatting action (via menu or shortcut) will restore the default style.

So, if by "plain text" you mean the default style, here is one technique you can use:

1. At the insertion point, select all white space (spaces, tabs) from there to the next character
  2. Press the shortcut for Simplify Formatting (⌘⇧F on a Mac) to restore to default format
  3. Paste and Match Style (⌘⇧V on a Mac)
  4. If you need to do this lot, then you may find a keyboard macro tool useful.

The easiest work-around, which I often use, is to make sure nothing is selected, and apply  Simplify Formatting .  This restores your entire note to the default style.  Then a Paste and Match Style should work easily.

All MS Office apps like Outlook, Word, Excel have a 'Keep Text Only, paste option. It would have been useful if Evernote had a similar option, hence my post.
Most of the time I only want to paste the text without its formatting when I am copying from another source, like a web page or source code. It's not a text editor only useful option.   As I mentioned in my original post, I just paste and then remove the formatting. A two step process.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, abdu said:

All MS Office apps like Outlook, Word, Excel have a 'Keep Text Only, paste option.

What that really does is paste and match style, which Evernote supports.

PAMS works for me on occasion, but not regularly. Since everything is a workaround in Evernote, I just paste into Notepad then copy/paste into Evernote. Then I have to find where it randomly moved my cursor (but that's another issue).

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 12:04 PM, abdu said:

All MS Office apps like Outlook, Word, Excel have a 'Keep Text Only, paste option. It would have been useful if Evernote had a similar option, hence my post.
Most of the time I only want to paste the text without its formatting when I am copying from another source, like a web page or source code. It's not a text editor only useful option.   As I mentioned in my original post, I just paste and then remove the formatting. A two step process.

Evernote used to have a past in plain text option. They removed it a while back. Onenote does allow pasting plain text. I am going to give it a run for a while. Been using Evernote since 2011.

Dang, that sucks. It works for me on Win7 and Win10, both are updated to the current version of EN.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of actual help. I still have other copy and paste issues that were supposedly fixed multiple versions ago. Like a previous poster said, everything is a workaround.

• 9 months later...

Archived