REQUEST: Increase note size limit above 200 MB

Shan McDonell

Idea

Have been using premium for a few months now, and have just come up to the issue of size limits for notes– 200 MB for premium users. This seems on the low side to me, as we are allowed to upload up to 10 GB/month, and some notes will obviously be edited over more than one month. Especially with attachments such as pictures, wouldn't it be better if the size limit were increased? I think at least 500 MB, but ideally 1 GB, would be great. I tried searching the forums and couldn't find anyone asking the same question– does anyone out there feel the same way about this? 

• Like 8

79 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Shan McDonell said:

does anyone out there feel the same way about this? 

Not me but what platform are you on so this can be moved to the appropriate product feedback forum where other users can vote this up if desired?

• Level 5*
On 2016-06-16 at 3:40 PM, Shan McDonell said:

Have been using premium for a few months now, and have just come up to the issue of size limits for notes– 200 MB for premium users. This seems on the low side to me, as we are allowed to upload up to 10 GB/month, and some notes will obviously be edited over more than one month. Especially with attachments such as pictures, wouldn't it be better if the size limit were increased? I think at least 500 MB, but ideally 1 GB, would be great. I tried searching the forums and couldn't find anyone asking the same question– does anyone out there feel the same way about this? 

Personally, I can't conceive of a need for notes of this size.
If necessary, I could split up a note into multiple sections.

• Level 5
16 hours ago, Shan McDonell said:

does anyone out there feel the same way about this? 

500 MB? for a note?

Even though I have thousands of notes, I don't need anything that large. The biggest note I have is a 254-page how-to manual and it is only 25 MB

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Shan McDonell said:

@Shan McDonell I used to handle GeneChip image size up to several GB size and I feel your pain. I suggest you can just file:///path to your local image. If you want to do backup, you can just grab a hd, or burn to BDisc. It sucks to transfer such huge size to the cloud. However, lan to lan transfer I recommend either bittorrent sync or Syncthing. 
See here for more info:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83072-link-to-file-or-folder/

On 6/17/2016 at 0:01 PM, jenhsun said:

@Shan McDonell I used to handle GeneChip image size up to several GB size and I feel your pain. I suggest you can just file:///path to your local image. If you want to do backup, you can just grab a hd, or burn to BDisc. It sucks to transfer such huge size to the cloud. However, lan to lan transfer I recommend either bittorrent sync or Syncthing. 
See here for more info:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83072-link-to-file-or-folder/

Thanks! I'm actually using it as a lab notebook, so I think we may run into the same problems. But yeah, if I ever have files larger than 200 MB I'll link locally, but for now I figured out you can link from one note to another. So, basically I just continue one experiment to a new note and link the two together. 

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎17 at 0:40 AM, Shan McDonell said:

I think the limit has to do with the risk of bogging down the client if single notes are very large. Evernote do OCR processes on pictures as well. EN recently teamed up with Google Drive, and I guess that has to do with the fact that EN themselves realise that they have no clear intention to compete with file backup cloud services.

• Level 5*

I've been a premium member since forever and the current 200MB note limit hasn't been an issue for me - I do use Google Drive for large file storage,  which makes sense for me - why would I want to keep a BIG note file on my hard drive,  after I deleted the original...

I often encountered the same issue. For example, I like to record lectures and courses with my phone. Some of them could be even more than 400MB if course takes about 8 hours. I would like to keep some course recordings inside Evernote in order to listen it offline and add additional text notes.

Google Drive support is interesting but not very useful for now. I still don't know the convenient way of adding a google drive link to a note to a large audio file and then have the ability to listen to it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, Pavel Sapehin said:

I often encountered the same issue. For example, I like to record lectures and courses with my phone. Some of them could be even more than 400MB if course takes about 8 hours. I would like to keep some course recordings inside Evernote in order to listen it offline and add additional text notes.

Google Drive support is interesting but not very useful for now. I still don't know the convenient way of adding a google drive link to a note to a large audio file and then have the ability to listen to it.

My impression is that it is very simple to store external links to files.
This is from a desktop perspective; not sure about the other platforms.

edit: Just tried it from my iPad.  No problem adding a link to a note for a file on GDrive

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Pavel Sapehin said:

I think all you need to do is install Drive on your device, put the file there, and listen to it from there.  No need to put the file in EN.  You do lose the benefit of all your stuff in one place, 

If you want a link in EN you can go to Drive, right click the item and shortcut is placed on the clipboard which you can paste into a note.  This will run the audio from the web though as opposed to the native Drive app.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

The note size limit has long been an annoying issue for me, though the current 100MB is considerably better than the old 25MB limit! I've got a lot of PDFs, a lot of audio files, and other things I want to keep in one place. I have no interest at all in storing my stuff in GDrive. I'm glad they have the tie-up, but it's not for me, especially when I work offline so much, and need to search the content of my notes (GDrive only indexes the first 100 pages of a PDF, even one that is OCR'd). I encourage Evernote to constantly push to raise their limits, including this one.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, BSR said:

This is correct. More information on the system limits in Evernote can be found in the followin Help Center article:

System Limits of Evernote

Whoops. My mistake. I knew that, too, because I just uploaded about 8GB into my account and had to break up a bunch of files over 200MB into two, three, or four pieces. Still too small, I'm afraid. I'd prefer 500MB or so.

For anyone who is still having this problem (like I was) I did find a nice workaround for the current state of Evernote. Whenever I have a note that is about to go over the limit, I simply create a new note, and then paste a link to the new note (didn't know this was a feature until after my original post) at the end of the old one, and a link to the old one at the beginning of the new note. It's not the greatest solution, but it does at least give a little continuity between the two separate notes, and if I come to the end of one I don't have to go searching for the other one, I can just click on the link and it takes me to it. 

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Whoops. My mistake. I knew that, too, because I just uploaded about 8GB into my account and had to break up a bunch of files over 200MB into two, three, or four pieces. Still too small, I'm afraid. I'd prefer 500MB or so.

@grumpy-monkey  Are you sure EN is the best place for you to store these files?
For myself, I would want to offload them.
- one reason is that I maintain a copy of my notes on my iPad, and I'd rapidly hit a storage space limit

edited: Perhaps the iPad was a bad example.  It's the one place I have selective sync on notebooks.  These large notes can remain in the cloud until I access them.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, DTLow said:

@grumpy-monkey  Are you sure EN is the best place for you to store these files?
For myself, I would want to offload them.
- one reason is that I maintain a copy of my notes on my iPad, and I'd rapidly hit a storage space limit

Yes. That's why I bought the iPad with a lot of memory and that's why I pay for Evernote Premium (to store everything I need in there). It's for my life's work, and if I am going to be storing this mission-critical stuff somewhere else, there's no point in using Evernote. They promised a service for "storing everything" (yes, I am aware that phrasing has become increasingly difficult to find on their website) and I am buying into that promise. You can do it Evernote :) 

• Level 5*

It's certainly tempting to dump stuff into Evernote - it's searchable,  available (mostly) everywhere and very very convenient - and it would be even more so if there was selectve syncing so that some notes - not wanted on voyage so to speak - could be permanently cached in the cloud.  But I seem to recall that Evernote already claimed to be the largest holder of personal data on the planet.  They also flirted with the idea of 'unlimited' uploads for a while before a few wiseguys dumping tens of magabytes of "personal data" persuaded them that  10GB/ month and 200MB/ note were reasonable limits.

Evernote's User Guidelines https://evernote.com/legal/user_guidelines.php include -

Evernote is not designed for cloud backup, file synchronization, or file storage/archiving (“Unsupported Uses”). Examples of Unsupported Uses include systematically backing up a hard drive, storing a media library, automatically archiving emails or files, or maintaining large quantities of files for storage-only purposes. Using Evernote for these purposes may result in you and/or other users having a significantly degraded Evernote experience. The quality of your Evernote experience depends on using Evernote for its Intended Uses.

No doubt someone will point out that storage space in increasingly cheap,  but while the space might be cheap,  the bricks and mortar to house it and the power to run it are less so;  and the systems that keep 'your' data searchable and available when and if you need it,  and the potential liability if it is not,  all put strains on Evernote's systems and finances that aren't insignificant.

Worse,  your convenience hurts my convenience.  If I'm a T&C's abiding individual with a modest-size database, your terabytes of data are taking up bandwidth and time during which my data could be syncing.  Storing too many files messes up my searches - it slows down the process and gives me false hits.  If Evernote does increase the storage limit I can forsee complaints that the indexing system needs to be improved because of that.  Keeping it (relatively) small and simple seems a good option to me.

I keep my data in lots of places.  I've got accounts with all of the usual suspects - Google,  OneDrive,  DropBox,  Amazon etc - and all of them give me options to link to a single file.  Big stuff and PDFs I don't need to be searchable can happily and quietly live there - and if I need them a quick search in Evernote will turn up the exec summary I saved in a note,  and the link to the actual file.

If Evernote do increase the note and upload sizes,  and add selective sync,  I can see modest chaos - even more modest chaos - coming to the system pretty quickly.

I don't see the need for an increase,  though I wouldn't turn one down,  but this is something I'm more than happy to leave to Evernote,  with a strong suggestion they be cautious and remember the 'unlimited uploads'.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

The unlimited uploads would have been fine if they meant it and were prepared to handle it, but apparently they thought unlimited would just be understood as "a lot," and they started cutting off folks arbitrarily if they thought they were using too much (whatever that is). naturally, that was infuriating for customers who paid for unlimitd but got just a lot. eventually, they abandoned the scheme and went to 10GB. The lesson here for Evernote, in my opinion, wasn't to avoid "unlimited." It was to do a better job with the planning, and not to do stuff just because it sounds good. 

If you go paperless (as Evernote often advocates) and you do your work in Evernote (as Evernote often advocates) then you are going to find people (like me) who are going to take you at your word and use the service for files that are easily several hundred megabytes. If you offer 10GB a month without selective sync on the desktop, then you are going to have people (like me) actually using it, and expecting some solution to the rather obvious storage space issues on our computers. In other words, Evernote needs to make plans, build a service that can handle those plans, and implement them. Right now, we have plans, a service that can kind of / sort of handle them, and partial implementation. It's that gap between what they say ("remember everything," 10GB per month, etc.) and what they do that irks me. In my case, 10GB a month is actually pretty nice, but 200MB chunks at a time isn't, so I want to see that a bit larger. I don't have too many 500MB+ PDFs, so that is a nice number for me. And, we already have selective sync (on mobile). It works fine. Evernote just has to plan well for its implementation on the desktop. In my case, I'd actually download LESS, because I don't want or need a lot of it on my computer, and every install I would have the download turned off. 

Business already has selective sync on the desktop. They've got a bunch of notebooks in their libraries that they are encouraged to download as needed. Pretty sweet. And, if the notebooks were searchable while online, it would completely solve my selective sync problems, and I would pay for the business service (true -- I've said this for years). In other words, I (as an individual) would be paying nearly double what regular folks (plus) pay for the service just to have this feature that would probably have very little impact on anyone else (I want to use them and keep them there for my use online, not pull huge chunks in and out of the servers). I'd be funding a better service for everyone. You're welcome :)

Anyhow, this is all just a bit of early morning blabber on my part. At no point would I recommend that Evernote adopt my ideas if it would negatively impact the experience of my fellow users. I want them to plan better, build better, and implement better so that it improves for all of us. If 500 MB limits work, great! If not, OK. The same goes with all of the other limits I would like to see regularly raised. 

• Like 1

Since note size limits are set to 200 MB per note, I would like to know in relation to notes if there is a limit to number of notes per notebook. I did not find anything regarding this on the system limits of Evernote page but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any limit as for a particular notebook that would involve addition of regular daily online clippings in the range of 10-20 notes per day, would I encounter an issue in the long run? Or should I do periodic reviews and assign notes to the relevant notebooks? Or should I not worry and simply leave the notes tagged?

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, ChiragC said:

Since note size limits are set to 200 MB per note, I would like to know in relation to notes if there is a limit to number of notes per notebook. I did not find anything regarding this on the system limits of Evernote page but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any limit as for a particular notebook that would involve addition of regular daily online clippings in the range of 10-20 notes per day, would I encounter an issue in the long run? Or should I do periodic reviews and assign notes to the relevant notebooks? Or should I not worry and simply leave the notes tagged?

you can have up to 100,000 notes in a single notebook. that is the only limit i know of, so if you are doing about 10 to 20 notes per day, it will take you about three decades to fill it up. by then, i hope they will have raised many of the limits :)

2 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

you can have up to 100,000 notes in a single notebook

100,000 notes is the total overall limit for number of notes in Evernote regardless of number of notebooks right?

EDIT - 100,000 notes for Evernote personal use that is

Edited by ChiragC
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, ChiragC said:

100,000 notes is the total overall limit for number of notes in Evernote regardless of number of notebooks right?

EDIT - 100,000 notes for Evernote personal use that is

yes. that is correct.

theoretically, you could have one default notebook with 100,000 notes in it. the 100,000 number, as far as i know, is a hard limit that includes notebooks you have joined or are sharing, as well as local notebooks. in other words, at any one time, you can only have a maximum of 100,000 notes in your account.

i think that business users might be an exception. they should be able to have up to 500,000 in a single account, but now we are in territory with which i am unfamiliar. i used to be a business account member, and could test this kind of stuff out, but no longer.  

Any news on the subject? 200MB is pretty annoying, and totaly breaks the whole concept of EN being the one place to store everything important. I need to add media files into EN as part of planing of future research. E.g. when i find a piece of media, with a topic/content worth of exploring, i store it in EN.

I do understand the 10GB limit, and i pay a reasonable price for it. But there is no real need to limit it further. When every player in cloud storage business provides file size limits of some GB to even much more, there is no technical need for a limit, other then preventing the use of too much storage space/abuse, which is not needed for Evernote, because it already has the 10GB/M. upload limit.

AFAIK EN moved to a new and more modern/scaleable backend last year. Now PLEASE take the time to remove this senseless limits. Its 2017, and in a software so flexible, it should be MY VERY OWN CONCERN how i use the 10GB I PAY FOR.

To all those who dont need it: Fine, if it doesnt affect you. But please dont be ignorant towards ppl with other needs. 

And to uploading: AFAIK there is only a Google Drive integration on Desktop, and even that has taken many years to arrive. 

No MS OneDrive (Which is also a market leader, especially in professional/business use) or Dropbox or WebDAV. 

Again, its 2017, and supporting all major services / market leaders is a must these days; On mobile, but also on Desktop.

All this time wasted on BS side projects.. Cant help myself but wonder, what EN could be these days, if those time and money would have been invested in the core product.

And now, OneNote is catching up at a much faster pace, then EN can fix their core app and create new features.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I think the general import of the thread so far is:  we don't know how Evernote choose their limits,  or how they're coded - some may be harder to change than others. 

Also: Evernote don't give advance notice of changes to their product,  but they do listen to customers and prioritise popular requests.  Up to now forinstance its only been possible to capture one side of a business card,  but because so many users complained,  the feature has been extended in Evernote for iOS 8.2 to capture both sides and this will presumably ripple through the rest of the OS's with each new update.

That had,  and other requests have tens of votes in their favour to indicate how popular each potential new feature is.  Evernote is presumably working through the list of high-voted new or improved features to make sure their efforts being most good to most users.  And there are thousands of feature requests.  There's no telling how soon this one would be actioned even if Evernote agree that raising the note size limit is a good idea.  (I can imagine some problems on mobile connections forinstance.)

But the killer at the moment is that this feature has exactly 7 votes (top left of the page).  With such a low level of customer engagement will Evernote think it worthwhile to invest time and money in providing the extra bandwidth to allow customers to connect for longer and upload/ download more data?  There must be peaks and troughs in traffic now,  but changing the note size limit would make the peaks higher...

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, AllThatEvil said:

I need to add media files into EN

Until the limit is lifted, I would store your files externally, and include a link in your note

I don't mind the 200MB limit most of the time, but I do find it problematic every now and then. I wouldn't expect Evernote to raise it substantially though. But I would like the ability to pay Evernote extra for the occasional notes that need to bust that limit - most have pictures, video, or particularly large PDFs in them. Compressing the files into a ZIP before attaching to the note rarely helps since most of those formats are compressed, to begin with.

The only possible workaround I have is to insert into the note a link to the file on Dropbox. But that defeats the entire purpose of having the content in Evernote in the first place.

• Level 5

Just on a lark, a couple years ago, I decided to see how big a file I could put into Evernote. I couldn't find anything close to 200MB.

The biggest file I could find was 73MB pdf. It is a digital edition of a 154-page glossy magazine covering the RV industry. It is loaded with large photos and advertisements.

Even though I already had 20,000 notes in Evernote, the file loaded fine. Search works great. It is still my largest note by a huge margin. 

• Level 5*

I've got a lot of PDFs that exceed the limit, and I am not interested in going through them all to break them up, so It makes Evernote a lot less useful for me than it could be. I'd like to see them raise ut, especially for paying Premium customers.

• Level 5*

Biggest note I've got in Evernote is 124MB,  though I remember trying to split one a while ago - probably when the limit was lower. 

The problem I'd guess for Evernote is that every increase in note size means more traffic through servers and more storage space.  Can't be bothered to do the math,  but the graph slope of whatever proportion of active users out of +/- 200M users with an extra 100MB of storage space per note could generate would probably be quite impressive.

Yes I know there's a monthly limit,  but getting there a significant percentage faster would presumably involve some considerable excitement on all sides.

And I know that not everyone is going to save every note at the new max,  but suppose you found you couldn't save a 298MB note when you should have been able to?  Some bandwidth and server space somewhere has to be potentially available for those users who might be wanting to abuse it..

Adding my 2 cents:

I use EN as a travel log and like writing diary entries with pictured and videos added. I use a proper camera so after a few pictures and videos I hit the limit quite hard. Having the files externally kind of breaks the experience for me.

Having a limit for the free accounts I can understand, but I pay for it...

• Level 5*
On 4/21/2017 at 9:40 AM, gazumped said:

Biggest note I've got in Evernote is 124MB,  though I remember trying to split one a while ago - probably when the limit was lower. 

The problem I'd guess for Evernote is that every increase in note size means more traffic through servers and more storage space.  Can't be bothered to do the math,  but the graph slope of whatever proportion of active users out of +/- 200M users with an extra 100MB of storage space per note could generate would probably be quite impressive.

Yes I know there's a monthly limit,  but getting there a significant percentage faster would presumably involve some considerable excitement on all sides.

And I know that not everyone is going to save every note at the new max,  but suppose you found you couldn't save a 298MB note when you should have been able to?  Some bandwidth and server space somewhere has to be potentially available for those users who might be wanting to abuse it..

Unfortunately, I have no idea what would or would not be required on the backend. What you said makes sense. But, other services I pay for (Dropbox, for example) have no such limits and seem to be doing just fine. Google, as I understand it, has no such limits, and Evernote is stored on their servers, so from a technical standpoint, this is a solved issue. Much like other things (encrypted notebooks, a higher limit for the total number of notes, a higher limit for the number of notebooks, etc.) this seems to be an arbitrary limit rather than a technical one. Perhaps it has something to do with cost, but if we are going to go there, we are talking about priorities, and as a paying customer, I prioritize this higher than a new iOS interface.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Unfortunately, I have no idea what would or would not be required on the backend. What you said makes sense. But, other services I pay for (Dropbox, for example) have no such limits and seem to be doing just fine. Google, as I understand it, has no such limits, and Evernote is stored on their servers, so from a technical standpoint, this is a solved issue. Much like other things (encrypted notebooks, a higher limit for the total number of notes, a higher limit for the number of notebooks, etc.) this seems to be an arbitrary limit rather than a technical one. Perhaps it has something to do with cost, but if we are going to go there, we are talking about priorities, and as a paying customer, I prioritize this higher than a new iOS interface.

It's a fair point that DropBox,  Google et. al. haven't restricted file size (AFAIK) and operate in similar ways.  Hmmn.  Maybe I'm over-thinking this.  Usual problem though - Evernote won't (usually) tell us what may or may not happen in future...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/23/2017 at 11:10 PM, gazumped said:

It's a fair point that DropBox,  Google et. al. haven't restricted file size (AFAIK) and operate in similar ways.  Hmmn.  Maybe I'm over-thinking this.  Usual problem though - Evernote won't (usually) tell us what may or may not happen in future...

Yeah. It is what it is. Until it isn't. It's up to Evernote if they want to change it, and I doubt that decision has a whole lot to do with technology or capacity. As with many other feature requests / improvements, it seems to be more about priorities. 

• Like 1

I, too, have run up against the note size problem, but have very little control as I'm using the clipper on iPad iOS which just takes the entire page whether you want it or not. I have no way of knowing how big a note is going to be until it won't sync. Very frustrating. (I am a Premium user, so have a large limit) Frankly, I was shocked that a web page could be that large, but the relatively brief article has over 2000 comments which I cannot remove before clipping. One workaround would be to e-mail Evernote the page, which allows me to bookmark the page, but it would be really nice to have some control over what is actually being clipped like I can do on the desktop.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Charyut said:

I, too, have run up against the note size problem, but have very little control as I'm using the clipper on iPad iOS which just takes the entire page whether you want it or not. I have no way of knowing how big a note is going to be until it won't sync.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a web page over 200 mb

You can have control if you clip screenshots instead of the entire page

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Charyut said:

On my iPad I have no idea how I would clip a screenshot. The clipper just does it, no options given. Have you done it on your iPad, and if so, how?

I'm using an iPad with IOS 11
I take a screenshot by holding down the top button and click the home button

The screenshot appears as a small square in the buttom corner.  
I click this, crop, and share to Evernote

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Cucumbercutter said:

Agree! I'm also a Premium-member and I find it frustrating that I can't attach some of my PDFs in an Evernote-note as a result of the low 200-MB note size. Please fix this! 

Until the limit is raised, my solution would be to file the pdf externally and include a link in your note

Note: PDF attachments also have a data transfer impact.  Each time the note is modified; even a simple change, the entire note is uploaded to the servers

• Level 5*

I'd be intrigued to see where these 200MB PDFs are coming from,  or what they contain - AFAIK I haven't ever seen a PDF of that size.  There are several ways to optimise large PDFs into a smaller footprint,  including OCR which replaces pictures of words with actual characters which occupy around 50% less space.  It's also possible - and easy - to break large PDFs into smaller files if necessary and save them in separate notes.  Apart from any issues with Evernote,  enormous files of that size are almost impossible to share,  send by email or load over a domestic internet connection.

• Like 1

I find the 200MB limit too low - I am a premium user and I use far less than 10 GB limit per month, but I want to store about 3 notes per week that are between 80MB and 400MB.  These are short video clips (1min - 5mins long) showing demonstrations of dance steps.

I just want to store a few, relatively large, files.  Why can't I do this if I stay within the overall storage limit?  What difference does it make to Evernote if I have a few large files instead of many small ones.

This is a deal breaker for me.  If I can't store these short video clips then there is no point in continuing my subscription.

• Level 5*
On 31/10/2017 at 4:27 PM, Punkette said:

If I can't store these short video clips

You can already do this in Google drive,  with links back to a note. 

Why can't I do this if I stay within the overall storage limit?  

Because it's a note size limit,  not an overall uploads limit (although there is one of those as well...)

A 200-400MB video could (presumably) be reduced to less than 200MB by changing the resolution of the file - if you're able to to so.

If I can't store these short video clips then there is no point in continuing my subscription.

But if that's the case,  then - Bye!...

On 03/11/2017 at 9:55 PM, gazumped said:

You can already do this in Google drive,  with links back to a note. 

Thanks for replying to my post, I really appreciate it.  I probably should have explained, I want to transfer these files into local storage on my mobile devices so that can watch the videos without WIFI and without using up my mobile data allowance.  So I'm trying out transfer to a local notebook via Evernote.

Because it's a note size limit,  not an overall uploads limit (although there is one of those as well...)

Yes, I realise that.  My question was, why does the size of individual notes matter to Evernote?

A 200-400MB video could (presumably) be reduced to less than 200MB by changing the resolution of the file - if you're able to to so.

This is true.  I have now done this.

But if that's the case,  then - Bye!...

Ouch.  That's a bit harsh, but I think I get the point - people always threatening to abandon some supplier but not following through.  The thing is, though, I'm genuinely confused about why people use Evernote now that there are other cloud services.  I've been a lightweight user of Evernote for years and now I have a premium subscription but I'm not really getting much out of it - unless this local notebooks thing works well for me, although it's a bit clunky because it means I have to duplicate files in Evernote that are stored in higher resolution elsewhere and it creates more work when files are duplicated, which is how I've always used Evernote.  I suppose the people who love Evernote don't duplicate files and just keep them all in Evernote?  But does that mean that you have to use Evernote editors rather than e.g. Word and Excel?  I know I'm drifting into a lot of different questions here but I am genuinely evaluating whether or not to continue my subscription because I just don't think I use it enough.  I have always found the user interface a bit difficult.  I really want to love it, but it just seems there is so much to learn if I'm going to get the value.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Punkette said:

I want to transfer these files into local storage on my mobile devices so that can watch the videos without WIFI and without using up my mobile data allowance.  So I'm trying out transfer to a local notebook via Evernote.

I would use a cloud drive for transferring files.  My solution is iCloud on Apple; theres also Gdrive and Dropbox.  Depending on the devices, a flash drive could be used

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Punkette said:

I want to transfer these files into local storage on my mobile devices

Not sure that's the best way to do it - why not just download the file(s) and save into your device's media folder?  I have a 64GB SD card in my 'phone,  bought in the (incorrect) expectation of being able to download my whole database (a modest 17GB) and operate entirely offline.  I can't use it -yet- for my database,  so it's full of audiobooks, YouTube stuff and music. 

why does the size of individual notes matter to Evernote?

I'd expect it's something to do with syncing and speed - especially on mobile devices.  If you have a 200MB note and want to download that over a network,  you'd better have a seat and a warm drink handy.  And a pretty forgiving network provider.  Plus storing videos for users means falling over copyright and 'take down' notices,  and ties up your server when other users are trying to get in there.

does that mean that you have to use Evernote editors rather than e.g. Word and Excel?

No - I use MSOffice,  mind-mapping software,  Adobe Lightroom and all sorts - some of the files go into Evernote so they're searchable and available everywhere;  others go into old-fashioned folders on my local hard drive or Dropbox / GoogleDrive etc.

Can't really comment on usability generally - I have 40,000+ notes and have been a premium user for 8+ years.  I've tried all the 'other' options as they come out (sorry Evernote :P) but haven't found anything that is so much better that I'd go through the hassle of importing all my notes and learning how to use a different system.  I'm with quite a few other commentators who reckon we spend far too much time looking for the 'best' way to do things,  and not enough time actually DOing them. 

Evernote works for me,  so I don't invest any time in worrying about it. ;)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Punkette said:

But does that mean that you have to use Evernote editors rather than e.g. Word and Excel?

I've never felt constrained to the Evernote editor.  I use the best editor for the job

The Evernote editor is adequate for basic notes.  
I use Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, Notability on my iPad, ...I store the documents as file attachments to notes

32 minutes ago, DTLow said:

...I store the documents as file attachments to notes

Thanks for the information.  

I'm an ex-PC gal now living in a Mac universe and the two mobile devices that I want to store stuff on are iPhone and iPad - and I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know how to store anything other than audio files and photos locally on the devices apart from within apps ... and I don't really know which apps.  I gave up on notes ages ago because they seemed to sync through my email stream or something, I forget now, but I found them painful to use.  This was before iCloud, mind you, and I just took a look and seems maybe now I could use this ... hmmm ... I will have to take a look.

:) Thanks

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Not sure that's the best way to do it - why not just download the file(s) and save into your device's media folder? 

I sync photos differently on iPad and iPhone ... although now that I think about it I could create an album of the videos I want to transfer.  I just don't find the labelling/search options in Photos on mobile device ideal for the type of categorisation that I want to do.  But I will think about this.

Plus storing videos for users means falling over copyright and 'take down' notices,  and ties up your server when other users are trying to get in there.

Good points - my videos are my own but I can see why a provider might not want to get into that whole question.

I'm with quite a few other commentators who reckon we spend far too much time looking for the 'best' way to do things,  and not enough time actually DOing them. 

Evernote works for me,  so I don't invest any time in worrying about it. ;)

Totally agree with you there ... if it works for you that's definitely good enough.  

I have some apps that work well for me, but the world keeps changing!  Maybe I'll stick with my modest use of Evernote ...

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Punkette said:

I don't know how to store anything other than audio files and photos locally

I'm not sure myself about storing files locally on an iPad 

I know Dropbox has a "star" feature.  

Using the IOS Files app, I can copy files to the "on my iPad" section

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Using the IOS Files app, I can copy files to the "on my iPad" section

Interesting.  I have not yet updated iPad to IOS 11 due to a favourite game that is no longer supported and will stop working ... but have resolved (even before this information) to upgrade this evening.  

I will then check out the "on my iPad" section in Files.

Thanks!

Something for you who (as me) have quite large notes:

1. Opening them on my phone (android) takes quite a while (44 MB note). I mean, quiiiite a while - same issue for you guys?
2. Input in my 44 MB large file is slow. Really slow. There is a second of delay from when I've actually made the input on my keyboard, or marked some text, or doing anything in that particular note - same for you guys with large notes?

I myself keep large notes because I wan't to keep a single book of text (and images) in ONE note - makes it much easier when searching for specific words in that course.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, SweStars said:

Something for you who (as me) have quite large notes:

1. Opening them on my phone (android) takes quite a while (44 MB note). I mean, quiiiite a while - same issue for you guys?
2. Input in my 44 MB large file is slow. Really slow. There is a second of delay from when I've actually made the input on my keyboard, or marked some text, or doing anything in that particular note - same for you guys with large notes?

I myself keep large notes because I wan't to keep a single book of text (and images) in ONE note - makes it much easier when searching for specific words in that course.

Mobile devices do NOT keep notes in local storage unless you opt for one or more 'offline searchable' notebooks.  Either the full content of your file has to download over your network,  or I suspect the mobile checks to see whether you have a network connection when you open an offline searchable note,  and if so,  verifies that you have the latest copy of that note - so effectively downloading the content all over again.  You could try using an offline searchable notebook and Airplane mode for faster loading,  but in general smaller notes are better than very large ones.  I do have some large notes,  but they're generally archive notes - several former short notes one one topic that I merged together for possible future reference.  Active topics tend to be in separate notes,  linked by a common title including a date index in yyyymmdd format.

• Like 1

I LOVE Evernotes presentation mode. For me, it is by far the quickest, prettiest way to make a proffesional presentation.

My problem is that I tend to show a lot of video - and the 200 MB limit really cripples that.

But I wil try the link-workaround mentioned here. But it won´t come close to clicking a thumbnail of your video in the middle of your presentation.

Heck yes. Huge ups on this idea.

As a writer, one of my fave things about Evernote is how a simple tag allows me to organize most everything to do with a given project in one place, research material included. The latter often includes things like 100+ page PDFs (with pictures) and recordings of loooooong interviews with sources/experts/etc. My life is fairly mobile; I tend to work on an iPad with a keyboard when I'm on the go, and inevitably, the bit of research I desperately need will be the big file still sitting on my desktop. Murphy's Law, I guess -- and that jerk never takes a holiday.

Please, Evernote! Help a sister out!

I am facing the same problem. I have an long screen recording and would like to add it as as attachment to the note for this recording. Beeing unable to manage also large files prevents me from using EN as single source for all my notes and reseach work.

• Level 5*
On 5/24/2019 at 8:50 PM, Oliver F. said:

I am facing the same problem. I have an long screen recording and would like to add it as as attachment to the note for this recording. Beeing unable to manage also large files prevents me from using EN as single source for all my notes and reseach work.

It's eminently feasible to keep notes in Evernote and store attachments that don't fit elsewhere,  with a link from the note to the attachment.  Bear in mind that in any installation where the notes database is downloaded to local storage - ie desktops - an attachment that is part of a note just adds to the size of the database and takes up more disk space.  I have a Google Drive folder called "Evernote attachments" which is where my large files go...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/24/2019 at 12:50 PM, Oliver F. said:

Beeing unable to manage also large files prevents me from using EN as single source for all my notes and reseach work.

As per @gazumped, I store my oversized files externally (iCloud), and include a link in the Evernote note

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Oliver F. said:

If I used a payed service,  I don't want to build my own solutions.

The Evernote service has options for files; including oversize files.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Oliver F. said:

What do you mean with Evernote Service? Do you have a link?

The Evernote service is being discussed in these posts, which you are have a premium account, your "payed service" and "prevents me from using EN as single source for all my notes and reseach work"

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Oliver F. said:

Frankly this is not an option for me. If I used a payed service,  I don't want to build my own solutions.

The paid service you are using has a specific limit on note size.  Perhaps picking a paid service that satisfies your needs would be appropriate.  Or add your vote to the 22 above and compromise in the meantime and build your own solution.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Jordan Thompson said:

I agree that 200MB is small in today's world.  I just ran into this today on my Mac (not sure if the same limitation exists on WIndows - where I do most of my Evernote work.)

As a matter of interest what limit would you consider useful?  Bear in mind there's a monthly limit too,  so if the note limit were raised to 500MB you're (currently) limited to 20 notes in a month (10GB).  Plus there are already workarounds to reduce the size of large images and PDFs,  store files in the cloud with links back to Evernote, or upgrade to Business for higher limits.  Also on an external device or a mobile,  really large files sizes could take forever to sync or to download...

23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

As a matter of interest what limit would you consider useful?  Bear in mind there's a monthly limit too,  so if the note limit were raised to 500MB you're (currently) limited to 20 notes in a month (10GB).  Plus there are already workarounds to reduce the size of large images and PDFs,  store files in the cloud with links back to Evernote, or upgrade to Business for higher limits.  Also on an external device or a mobile,  really large files sizes could take forever to sync or to download...

why limit at all?  You can always pay for uploads that exceed the monthly limit.  Besides, this is the first time I have run into this problem, so obviously I won't be doing it very often

Edited by Jordan Thompson
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote (briefly) tried the 'no limit' approach,  and the usual suspects started backing up their networks to the server,  adding video libraries and generally abusing the system.  All that activity tanked the sync times for everyone on the system.  The limits came back.

The ultimate limit is the capacity of the internet to deal with 250M customers syncing their accounts at all hours of the day - who will whinge like troupers if they lose data or find it slow to load notes.  Plus the additional clerical overhead of keeping tabs on the (likely large) number of people who exceed their limits and making sure they pay for the privilege,  collecting payments subject to various exchange rates and taxes...  you'd need a lot of extra staff to handle it.

Not to mention the development cost of rejigging the system to allow higher limits...

Anyway.  I'm generalising madly here,  but you get the picture: the current system works (mostly) - it could cost a lot to change!  PS in case you're not aware,  I'm just a user and all of this is just my opinion - I have been known to be wrong...

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Evernote (briefly) tried the 'no limit' approach,  and the usual suspects started backing up their networks to the server,  adding video libraries and generally abusing the system.  All that activity tanked the sync times for everyone on the system.  The limits came back.

The ultimate limit is the capacity of the internet to deal with 250M customers syncing their accounts at all hours of the day - who will whinge like troupers if they lose data or find it slow to load notes.  Plus the additional clerical overhead of keeping tabs on the (likely large) number of people who exceed their limits and making sure they pay for the privilege,  collecting payments subject to various exchange rates and taxes...  you'd need a lot of extra staff to handle it.

Not to mention the development cost of rejigging the system to allow higher limits...

Anyway.  I'm generalising madly here,  but you get the picture: the current system works (mostly) - it could cost a lot to change!  PS in case you're not aware,  I'm just a user and all of this is just my opinion - I have been known to be wrong...

I'm not suggesting that EN have unlimited uploads.  I am saying don't put a limit on uploading a single note (the limit will be dictated by what the user has available for that month.)

For example, if I have a 10GB limitation for the month and I upload 9GB of data, I should be allowed to upload a single 1GB note before the end of the month.  After that, I am done for the month unless I want to pay for it (I have actually paid to upload data beyond the limit on one occasion.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Doh.  Sorry - must read slower!!  Still think a (potentially) effective 10GB limit might be untenable.  It's gonna take a long time to upload and sync!  But that's Evernote's headache to evaluate not mine...

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Doh.  Sorry - must read slower!!  Still think a (potentially) effective 10GB limit might be untenable.  It's gonna take a long time to upload and sync!  But that's Evernote's headache to evaluate not mine...

That gets back to the 250MB limit.  With today's internet fast connections, there is no reason for such a small file.